Valve Knuckles Controllers in Action

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Valve has been working on a new controller to use for better VR gaming experiences, commonly referred to as the "Knuckles" controller. The idea here is to give you the ability to use each finger in VR for a more immersive game experience. I have to admit, seeing these in action is pretty damn cool. Zulubo Productions is the developer group responsible for the video below.

Check out the video.

My demo scene for the new Knuckles SteamVR controllers. If you're a developer, you can download this demo and the source for the interaction system at https://github.com/zulubo/knuckles.

Reactions: DPI
like this
wow that looks cool. i still wouldnt want to use vr though because i feel like i could swing my hand and break something without knowing it.

wow that looks cool. i still wouldnt want to use vr though because i feel like i could swing my hand and break something without knowing it.
That is why there are built in chaperone systems built in. Of course that and a bit of personal accountability to move shit out of the way in your gaming area.

It would be nice if the video showed what the knuckles controller looked like. Are there sensors you put on your knuckles and a room scanner to see where they are?

It would be nice if the video showed what the knuckles controller looked like. Are there sensors you put on your knuckles and a room scanner to see where they are?
dims.jpg

That is pretty cool, just wish in the video they started out showing you the person holding the device and using it along side the VR experience. Wondering why they aren't going for more of a glove device. My buddy used to program those all the time for virtual control of robots and devices. Maybe people felt they were too hot or uncomfortable for longer periods.

I'm going to be interested in getting these when they release. Hopefully they're not too expensive.

The fact that we keep seeing new widgets for VR that seem to have "real depth" I think goes to support Kyle's argument that VR is "the next big thing". Everything about VR seems to be solidly evolutionary to support a better and better user experience.

Last edited:
The fact that we keep seeing new widgets for VR that seem to have "real depth" I think goes to support Kyle's argument that VR is "the next big thing". Everything about VR seems to be solidly evolutionary to support a better and better user experience.

You aint seen nothing yet. Wait till eye-tracking and foveated rendering leave the lab.

You aint seen nothing yet. Wait till eye-tracking and foveated rendering leave the lab.
VR has real teeth. This is not to say it does not have hurdles yet either, but "real" VR will still very much be an enthusiast thing for the next 12 - 24 months IMO. And that is OK too.

that is what I thought during the video, that is the level of control I see people have in VR videos I watch now. Nice to see that both sides will finally be equal
May look a lot like the Rift controllers, which I can tell you from an overall standpoint are more advanced than the current Vive controllers, but these look to be a jump beyond the Rift's by a large margin. That all said, I like the Vive controller better than the Rift's because they just feel better in my hands overall. Rift's are a bit too small IMO.

I think this is a photo of one of the prototypes.

ImageResizer.ashx

Pretty awesome, still needs to be a glove though.

One of the best uses would be for simulators, you can't grab a joystick wearing these.

Back