US intelligence confirms it buys Americans’ personal data

This is 100% why my FB profile is set to "posts visible to friends only" and I don't have Twitter.
I use a fake name, fake location, no friends, no uploads, no posts, no nothing. 90% of the time I use it for work to get a read out on the people I'm interacting with in person. The other 10% is Marketplace. Which is a pain because people think I'm an erek or something because of the anonymity.

Smart people in the government have realized it’s not a violation of the Constitution if they use a private company as a middle man. It’s not against the 1st Amendment if they ask a private company to censor you. It’s not against the 4th Amendment if they ask a private company to go through your things. At least that has been the assumed conclusion so far….

It’s not against the 1st Amendment if they ask a private company to censor you. It’s not against the 4th Amendment if they ask a private company to go through your things. At least that has been the assumed conclusion so far….
It can be, though if they *direct* a private company to do so.

Smart people in the government have realized it’s not a violation of the Constitution if they use a private company as a middle man. It’s not against the 1st Amendment if they ask a private company to censor you. It’s not against the 4th Amendment if they ask a private company to go through your things. At least that has been the assumed conclusion so far….

I think this is an area that needs clarifications in the courts, and while I'm not a lawyer, from my readings arguing performing these actions at the request of the government without being compelled to do so (by subpoena etc.) essentially renders them as "agents of the government" and their actions "acting in an official capacity on behalf of the government". From that perspective, the private companies are effectively subcontractors to the government and therefore performing actions on its behalf.

Back