US intelligence confirms it buys Americans’ personal data

erek

[H]F Junkie
"A newly declassified report says the controversial practice raises "significant issues" for Americans' civil liberties"

"“According to this report, the ODNI does not even know which federal intelligence agencies are buying Americans’ personal data,” Wyden added.

The report corroborates a stream of media reports that found U.S. government agencies were buying huge datasets on Americans. The Internal Revenue Service bought access to a huge database storing the location data of millions of Americans’ phones to try to catch tax cheats, while similar phone location data was used by Homeland Security for immigration enforcement.

Government agencies must typically secure a court-approved warrant to obtain Americans’ private data directly from a phone or tech company, such as private messages. But the ODNI’s report states that in the cases where Americans’ information — like location data — is openly for sale to the general public, U.S. intelligence agencies can purchase it. (Though, this theory has yet to be scrutinized in federal court.)

Although this data is generally sold in bulk — often millions of data points at a time — the ODNI’s report warns that commercially available data can be easily deanonymized to identify individuals, including Americans. Location data, for example, can be used to infer where people live and work, based on where their phones and vehicles are at certain times of the day.

Commercially available information can also reveal “the detailed movements and associations of individuals and groups, revealing political, religious, travel, and speech activities,” the report says, such as being used to “identify every person who attended a protest or rally based on their smartphone location or ad-tracking records.”

“In the wrong hands, sensitive insights gained through [commercially available information] could facilitate blackmail, stalking, harassment, and public shaming,” the report said. The report noted that in 2021, commercially available location data collected from a gay dating app was used to out a Catholic priest, who later resigned. The report also referenced the collection and sale of location data from a Muslim prayer app to the U.S. military.

Wyden called for Congress to pass legislation to “put guardrails around government purchases, to rein in private companies that collect and sell this data, and keep Americans’ personal information out of the hands of our adversaries.”"

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/13/us-intelligence-report-purchase-americans-personal-data/

Without surprise, the sellers are not the known player people suspect and take measure from:

But the:
• (U) “Thomson Reuters CLEAR® is powered by billions of data points and leveragescutting-edge public records technology to bring all key content together in acustomizable dashboard.”
• (U) LexisNexis offers more than “84B records from 10,000+ sources, includingalternative data that helps surface more of the 63M unbanked/underbanked U.S.adults.”
• (U) Exactis has “over 3.5 billion records (updated monthly)” in its “universal datawarehouse.”
• (U) PeekYou “collects and combines scattered content from social sites, news sources,homepages, and blog platforms to present comprehensive online identities.”

The fact that it isn't surprising doesn't mean that it is OK.
I am not sure what you mean (if that an answer to my post), the point being it is not the Microsoft-Amazon-Facebook-Apple type selling data it seem (at least none of that type being listed), which is not a big surprise, I am not sure what being OK or not for them to not sell data to the government would mean here.

Reactions: erek
like this
The fact that it isn't surprising doesn't mean that it is OK.
Without surprise, the sellers are not the known player people suspect and take measure from:

But the:
• (U) “Thomson Reuters CLEAR® is powered by billions of data points and leveragescutting-edge public records technology to bring all key content together in acustomizable dashboard.”
• (U) LexisNexis offers more than “84B records from 10,000+ sources, includingalternative data that helps surface more of the 63M unbanked/underbanked U.S.adults.”
• (U) Exactis has “over 3.5 billion records (updated monthly)” in its “universal datawarehouse.”
• (U) PeekYou “collects and combines scattered content from social sites, news sources,homepages, and blog platforms to present comprehensive online identities.”
PACER got breached .. data goldmine there

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...h-federal-court-management-system-2022-07-28/

I am not sure what you mean (if that an answer to my post), the point being it is not the Microsoft-Amazon-Facebook-Apple type selling data it seem (at least none of that type being listed), which is not a big surprise, I am not sure what being OK or not for them to not sell data to the government would mean here.
I think he misread your post. I got what you meant

Wow. I can't complain about the government here. Buying people's personal information and using it is part of my job in revenue operations.

Wow. I can't complain about the government here. Buying people's personal information and using it is part of my job in revenue operations.

I think what you do should be illegal and come attached with prison time.

Data describing any individual should be the sole property of the individual it describes, unable to be transferred or used for any cost, contract or other arrangement.

The use of personal data by anyone other than the person it describes needs to end, and people need to go to federal pound me up the ass prison for using the personal data of others for any purpose, business, government, advertising or otherwise.

Last edited:
We have the most corrupt and evil government in world history. Don't think of isolated evils like Hitler or Mao, rather think of the overall accumulation of world wide evil our govt is responsible for as a whole.
Yeah I dunno about that dawg, Pol Pot and Hitler with access to modern technology would be far worse. Our government is a result of what private corporations want, that's it. Unless you're in the billionaire club you have no say other than pretending to choose elected officials on a federal level. You can have an impact on a local and state level to some degree, but federal politics are completely bought and paid for.

Having said that, I'm all for abolition of the intelligence state, they've done nothing but cause misery around the globe.

hdfdfdd.gif

Yeah I dunno about that dawg, Pol Pot and Hitler with access to modern technology would be far worse. Our government is a result of what private corporations want, that's it. Unless you're in the billionaire club you have no say other than pretending to choose elected officials on a federal level. You can have an impact on a local and state level to some degree, but federal politics are completely bought and paid for.

Having said that, I'm all for abolition of the intelligence state, they've done nothing but cause misery around the globe.
One might even say the industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Reactions: erek
like this
So that explains why they rolled over on Zuckerberg and that nothing is going to happen to these hospitals that are submitting patient data to facebooks backend.

Who says that what is going on in the world today isn't what Pol Pot and Hitler would have done with today's technology? The way it's been used has the world more divided than ever and the first world is destroying itself from within.
One might even say the industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.
Social media and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

I'm not too sure about that.

Things aren't perfect for sure, but don't over-romanticize history.

Human history was always awful. Most of it orders of magnitude worse than today.

Screenshot_20230613-153232.png

How many people do you knowwho have been hung drawn and quartered for daring to publicly speak out against a King?

For all its flaws, I'd take life today over life pre-industrial revolution a million times out of a million.

I wouldn't mind backing up 10-20 years though, as shit has gone a little stupid in the last few years. Still better than pre industrial revolution though.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about that.

Things aren't perfect for sure, but don't over-romanticize history.

Human history was always awful. Most of it orders of magnitude worse than today.

How many people do you knowwho have been hung drawn and quartered for daring to publicly speak out against a King?

For all its flaws, I'd take life today over life pre-industrial revolution a million times out of a million.

I wouldn't mind backing up 10-20 years though, as shit has gone a little stupid in the last few years. Still better than pre industrial revolution though.

This isn't even ancient history its 1990.

1686712255817.png

Would they even have to buy it? Last time I checked, all social media websites and most American companies comply with the alphabet agencies and their information requests. Most Americans don't care about their privacy, anyways. The only people who care and worry about it are dissidents like myself who would never use any popular or modern social media. I'd imagine the government employs even more devious methods for the dissidents.

Would they even have to buy it? Last time I checked, all social media websites and most American companies comply with the alphabet agencies and their information requests. Most Americans don't care about their privacy, anyways. The only people who care and worry about it are dissidents like myself who would never use any popular or modern social media. I'd imagine the government employs even more devious methods for the dissidents.
Any time I get grief from a tax payer, I pull up all their info on both screens. Tweets, Facebook pages, Instagram. They'll run this big sob story about how hard their life is, and I see pics of them in Cancun two months ago with a new car in the driveway.

The sad reality of this whole thread is that everybody's personal information is everywhere and the real challenge to government/business is using it not getting it.

Any time I get grief from a tax payer, I pull up all their info on both screens. Tweets, Facebook pages, Instagram. They'll run this big sob story about how hard their life is, and I see pics of them in Cancun two months ago with a new car in the driveway.
:ROFLMAO: That sounds about right.

Any time I get grief from a tax payer, I pull up all their info on both screens. Tweets, Facebook pages, Instagram
This is 100% why my FB profile is set to "posts visible to friends only" and I don't have Twitter.

Back