Ubisoft accuses AMD of ACU Bugs Poor Perf.

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...e-of-assassins-creed-unitys-poor-performance/

This got interesting now.

popcorn_mj.gif

I'm completely shocked they would stoop this low but wow, Just wow. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with Ubisoft using GameWorks which is heavily optimized for NVIDIA and not for AMD. This is why I don't support closed-box technology like this. Dumb.

But people on very beastly NVIDIA systems are having problems too. TotalBiscuit has a 5930k and GTX 980 SLI and can't get 60fps on Ultra, and that is probably in the top 0.1% of gaming PCs. Ubisoft just missed the mark with this game.

ROFL!!!

Ubi$oft just admitted they used the wrong API! OMG this is gold, I can't believe it. Had they released a Mantle version the draw calls DX limitation would have been a non-issue.

The massive amount of bugs would be still there, but they would be bugs at least above 60fps.

And I guess due to their association with nvidia they somehow blame AMD for this in the same breath. Wow, this keeps getting better and better!

Edit: wonder who that unknown engineer is who knows the inner workings of ubi$oft's new engine, I doubt he/she from AMD though...

ROFL!!!

Ubi$oft just admitted they used the wrong API! OMG this is gold, I can't believe it. Had they released a Mantle version the draw calls DX limitation would have been a non-issue.

The massive amount of bugs would be still there, but they would be bugs at least above 60fps.

And I guess due to their association with nvidia they somehow blame AMD for this in the same breath. Wow, this keeps getting better and better!

Edit: wonder who that unknown engineer is who knows the inner workings of ubi$oft's new engine, I doubt he/she from AMD though...
Mantle is great but since not everyone can run it, they have no choice but to support DX11. Assuming the draw calls situation is true, they should have scaled back the game rather than having it just run like garbage. I'm curious to know who that engineer is too.

Far Cry 4 reviews look good so far though.

This sensationalist "news" misquote is being reposted everywhere :(. Ubisoft mentioned a potential bug with a possible hardware combination that this site is taking completely out of context and spinning its meaning completely, wildly differently than ever intended. Le sigh.

Does Ubividia send you free SWAG or is it just your life goal to go out of your way defending them?

The actual quote, taken from the article posted in this thread...
“We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin’s Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations,” the statement by Ubisoft reads. “This should not affect the vast majority of PC players, but rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available.”

This sensationalist "news" misquote is being reposted everywhere :(. Ubisoft mentioned a potential bug with a possible hardware combination that this site is taking completely out of context and spinning its meaning completely, wildly differently than ever intended. Le sigh.

The bigger issue is this:
“The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API,” the engineer said. “Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs popping all over the place.”
So they're brute forcing it instead of using instancing (geometric or otherwise), something that has been in DirectX since 9.0 which came out almost 11 years ago. In my opinion this just solidfies Ubisoft and its development team as poor optimizers. Of course your game is going to run shitty when you're drawing everything on-screen individually...

"As previously reported on the Assassin’s Creed Live Updates Blog, our team is furiously working to resolve bugs and performance issues for Assassin’s Creed Unity on all platforms. On PC, some media outlets have misinterpreted a forum post indicating that we were working on resolving issues that were AMD-specific. We apologize for any confusion and want to be clear that we are working with all of our hardware partners to address known issues that exist across various PC configurations. We care deeply about a smooth and enjoyable Assassin’s Creed experience and we will continue to update customers as these issues are fixed via the AC Live Updates Blog. "

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950270-Update-on-Performance-Issues

My hopes for Far Cry 4 and The Crew are quickly diminishing

I played the closed beta of The Crew, and while it definitely had bugs if you forced 60 FPS (default locked to 30 for cinematic experience :rolleyes:), it otherwise ran fine and was mostly bugfree.

As long as someone finds a way around that ridiculous 30 fps cap we should be alright.

Mantle is great but since not everyone can run it, they have no choice but to support DX11. Assuming the draw calls situation is true, they should have scaled back the game rather than having it just run like garbage. I'm curious to know who that engineer is too.

Mystery engineer...

The article I linked to earlier on DSO Gaming interviewed the Pipeline Technical Director from ubi$oft for ACU, and he stated he was totally aware, back in August, of the draw call situation. And I would say he should know what he's talking about. Not only that, but that his team was looking at low level code to handle this high draw call situation.

This is purely speculation on my part, not to get anyone in trouble, but Damn this fits in the story very well.

Now, what could have happened between then and now to completely derail this Dev team?

Last edited:
It must also be AMD's fault that performance almost doubles when you disconnect it from the Internet.

Once again, Pirates will have a better experience than the paying customers.

The new consoles support Mantle, don't they? This could have at least solved the problem of poor performance on their primary platform...

The new consoles support Mantle, don't they? This could have at least solved the problem of poor performance on their primary platform...
No, the XboxOne uses a lower-level version of Direct3D and the PS4 uses it's own proprietary API. There are some similarities but it's not Mantle code.

Yes but both top consoles support Mantle and that is suppose to be where they make their money: consoles. So its just dumb not to support it when the main gaming hardware is all run on AMD. Not a fan, just seems stupid to not use Mantle on your main source of income.

Yes but both top consoles support Mantle and that is suppose to be where they make their money: consoles. So its just dumb not to support it when the main gaming hardware is all run on AMD. Not a fan, just seems stupid to not use Mantle on your main source of income.
No, neither console supports Mantle. Please see the last two posts.

neither consoles will, or can support mantle...

mantle is its own API, it CANNOT replace the API currently in the consoles....

just finished AC Black Flag recently and went through 20 minutes of the credits rolling pretty fast, it's amazing that with so many people they still manage to screw up...

think their "multicultural" team needs to be on the same page while making video games

your calling out "bullshit" is always anti AMD.

funny that....

The reality is is runs like ass on Nvidia hardware as well..

As a fellow Nvidiot, I stand with AMD. Fuck you Ubisoft. We're getting tired of your bullshit.

neither consoles will, or can support mantle...

mantle is its own API, it CANNOT replace the API currently in the consoles....

Sure it can. An API in this usage is just a mechanism for making relatively high level calls to the graphics card driver and translating them into low level commands for the hardware to execute.

It would require the cooperation of the console developers (Microsoft and Sony), but Mantle support, or at least a subset of it that the installed hardware is capable of supporting absolutely could be implemented on either of those platforms, the same way that OpenGL and DirectX have already been implemented.

The key element there being that the console platform developers would need to support this, and I presently doubt they have any reason to. As it is, I'd imagine that the GPU drivers in both consoles can be optimized much more thoroughly than their PC counterparts, as there's only one configuration that has to be supported.

perhaps cannot is a bit stong.

willnot is probobly better.

there is nothing mantle can do that the current APIs aldready do in the consoles so there is no advantage to adding it.

Mantle itself was designed to mimic the APIs currently in consoles to make porting simple, so it would be pointless to add it.

All this rage towards AMD and Nvidia. This is clearly another game Ubisoft wanted to cash in quickly. Why else would they put review embargos after the launch and not enable the IAP crap ? It was to maximise preorders and impulse buys, so the corporate top can all laugh at the money they stole. This isn't the (individual) developer's fault, it's the top layer of Ubisoft demanding that the game come out before it was running properly and now they need to "appologize" for their boo-boo's.

Don't EVER buy preorders from companies that have proven to be narcissistic money-grabbing hit'n'runners. Watch Dogs should have been a clear indicator with what kind of company Ubisoft wants to be in 2014.

i think i really depends on the developer.

Bioware for example hasn't released a half-baked game ever, regardless of pressure form EA to get it out the door.

Same for Bethesda and parent Zenimax.

i would be comfortable preordering for either of them.

the game worked fine, it just wasn't well received.

Personally i liked it.

It wasnt as good as origins, but it was still a good game.

Besides, if DAI is as good as everyone says, they get a pass for DAII

the game worked fine, it just wasn't well received.

Personally i liked it.

It wasnt as good as origins, but it was still a good game.

Besides, if DAI is as good as everyone says, they get a pass for DAII
It wasn't a bad game, but it was definitely half-baked. The game reused the same map for pretty much every dungeon :p

but it wasnt a bug ridden mess.

thats my point.

the reused assets didnt really bother me.

but it wasnt a bug ridden mess.

thats my point.

the reused assets didnt really bother me.
True. The game ran and looked great. They did the whole game in 18 months, so considering that the only real problem was re-used assets, they obviously know how to prioritize.

i wouldnt really call it a problem

more like a questionable design choice.

It wasn't a bad game, but it was definitely half-baked. The game reused the same map for pretty much every dungeon :p

The game definitely reused the same map geography too many times, but other than that I enjoyed DA2 quite a bit, definitely more than most folks on the 'net seemed to. The story may not have been on the same epic "we have to save the whole world from the pending apocalypse" as the first Dragon Age, but the idea of telling a story that dealt a lot with the politics of the city & the whole mage/chantry conflict, plus the added element of the Qunari was pretty interesting.

But The Mac has a good point, we can argue all we want about the creative choices they made, but from a technical execution standpoint it was a very solid game. And we haven't had these kinds of horror stories around the launches of the Dragon Age or Mass Effect games like we have with stuff like AC, Arkham Origins, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, and many other high-profile releases.

Back