Two years after launch Windows 11 adoption is still waaaay behind Windows 10

8 was fine, just like 7 but with a full screen start menu. I just typed a few letters like always and pressed enter........ 8.1 added a shortcut icon to the full screen start menu, not really a big deal.
Yes, this.

I havent clicked through a start menu in years. I hit the window key and type the first couple letters of what I want and then hit enter.

I have some gripes with Windows 11 but they are so insignificant that I cant even remember what they are until it happens.

I cant even be bothered to read all the posts in this thread. I rarely, if ever, see valid arguments for not liking the next version of Windows except for trying to avoid change.

Its the same thing, every time. The transition from XP to Vista to 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 to 11 have all been the same:

View attachment 603486
Haha, I still remember people complaining xp was too "fisher price" with its interface as a reason not to upgrade. Oh no, colors!

You can also just download the Microsoft Windows 11 media creation tool, use it to download the latest iso, then use Rufus to build a bootable thumb drive and choose the custom options to remove the online account requirements.
View attachment 603483
Did this a few weeks ago, worked great.

Haha, I still remember people complaining xp was too "fisher price" with its interface as a reason not to upgrade. Oh no, colors!
I remember that. In fairness, XP was a pretty ugly looking OS from a UI perspective. UI/UX design has definitely come a long way since then. Not that Microsoft seems to be learning from its gaffs.

What XP did do well though from a UI design perspective was making everything look more 3dimensional. It definitely made 2k and 98 look very old and very flat at the time.

XP was a pretty ugly looking OS from a UI perspective

Bullshit this was peak Windows (including 500 official theme/color variants you had to hunt down like Pokemon)👌

1696477540008.png

1696477552034.png

1696477584912.png

1696477607619.png

But also - it's still "Start Menu over there" "File Explorer here" Windows hasn't really changed much UI/UX since (8 was the biggest attempt at that - Win 10/11 reverted to same old for all the things that have 'changed')

Edit: Shit is still Windows 95 except we lost briefcases somewhere I think

Try finding a 2012 Dell still operational to put any version of Windows on. We have an original 13in Macbook Air in a production environment at work running our inventory room access software (barcode scanning in and out, etc). Used every day and works perfectly.

I install Windows 11 on Core2-era machines from ~2006-2009 all the time. Runs great as long as you have an SSD and at least 4GB RAM.

Bullshit this was peak Windows (including 500 official theme/color variants you had to hunt down like Pokemon)👌

View attachment 603501
View attachment 603502
View attachment 603503
View attachment 603504

But also - it's still "Start Menu over there" "File Explorer here" Windows hasn't really changed much UI/UX since (8 was the biggest attempt at that - Win 10/11 reverted to same old for all the things that have 'changed')

Bitch you must be high as fuck if you think any of that looks better than this.
1696478703206.png

This right here was peak UI design, everything after is garbage bloatware.

I install Windows 11 on Core2-era machines from ~2006-2009 all the time. Runs great as long as you have an SSD and at least 4GB RAM.
The amount of effort needed to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware is harder than installing Linux. Also, if you do get Windows 11 running on a Core2Duo machine, then good luck with drivers. Unless you have a fairly modern GPU, you won't have working drivers. With Linux, you have a good chance of it working out of the box. I'm not saying that to promote Linux, which I am, but that maybe that's why people aren't adopting Windows 11. Their machine just isn't supported. The only reason to installed Windows 11 is because eventually Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 10, and you don't want to know what will happen when you don't get security updates.

8 was fine, just like 7 but with a full screen start menu. I just typed a few letters like always and pressed enter........ 8.1 added a shortcut icon to the full screen start menu, not really a big deal.
8 was hardly fine if you were still using a 2008 Active Directory schema, and if you were using an environment with floating profiles ick forget about it, added a solid 15-20 minutes to the login unless you were running full GbE network switches where then it might only add 3-5 minutes to the log in.

8 had a lot of issues that made it practically unusable in the business environment unless you also upgraded all AD servers in the environment to server 2012, so many issues on the admin side.

8 was hardly fine if you were still using a 2008 Active Directory schema, and if you were using an environment with floating profiles ick forget about it, added a solid 15-20 minutes to the login unless you were running full GbE network switches where then it might only add 3-5 minutes to the log in.

8 had a lot of issues that made it practically unusable in the business environment unless you also upgraded all AD servers in the environment to server 2012, so many issues on the admin side.
I was talking as an end-user with that post, not an admin ;).

I was talking as an end-user with that post, not an admin ;).
Yeah we got a shipment of like 30 new Dell AIO’s for an art department and they all shipped with windows 8 and we foolishly thought WTF let’s give it a go.

Now don’t get me wrong a handful of them are still being used (windows 10 updates) as machines janitorial can use for email, training, taking care of time sheets or work order entry, so the hardware has kept ticking.

But yeah those were all “downgraded” to 7 by the end of the week.

The amount of effort needed to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware is harder than installing Linux. Also, if you do get Windows 11 running on a Core2Duo machine, then good luck with drivers. Unless you have a fairly modern GPU, you won't have working drivers. With Linux, you have a good chance of it working out of the box. I'm not saying that to promote Linux, which I am, but that maybe that's why people aren't adopting Windows 11. Their machine just isn't supported. The only reason to installed Windows 11 is because eventually Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 10, and you don't want to know what will happen when you don't get security updates.

It's pretty obvious from your comment that you've never actually installed Windows 11 on older hardware before. Windows 11 is hands-down the easiest OS to install on most computers (including older computers) when it comes to drivers. Windows 11 will find almost all drivers automatically via Windows Update, including drivers for systems that would never possibly meet the system requirements for Windows 11. It makes sense since Windows 10 and 11 drivers are the same. For any old components that don't have their drivers installed automatically via Windows Update, finding drivers to install is usually a complete non-issue. That's because Windows 11 is compatible with 64-bit drivers from Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, and even Windows Vista. What GPUs were you under the impression won't work on Windows 11? Just the other day I tested one of my old 4870x2 cards, and not only did it work fine with the latest drivers available from AMD (Windows 8 drivers from 2013), even crossfire still worked (in supported games).

View attachment 603501
View attachment 603502
View attachment 603503
View attachment 603504

I thought of plenty of different things to say, but really the bottom line is aesthetics are opinion. I wasn't a fan. If you think it's lovely I suppose that's great.
I've more or less completely pulled away from Microsoft at this point and I really dislike Windows 10/11. But credit where it's due to Microsoft, I much prefer their flat UI much more. And I also did like the aesthetic of their tile Windows 7/10 mobile OS (before it was killed off). I think Google also has created a nice look with their flat/"material" UI.

except for trying to avoid change.
Of course it is about avoiding change. Changes that are detrimental. Nobody ever complained about changes for the better that are not aimed at somehow dumbing down the experience or about eroding user control. Unfortunately the last time windows had actual improvements over the last version was in windows 7.

Windows 8 : Change for the sake of it, that nobody asked for, completely disregarding desktop experience in favor of a pipe dream of making windows a touch UI.
Windows 10 : Undoing most of the changes that 8 did, but adding telemetry and the god awful settings app that made finding even the simplest config options a living nightmare.
Windows 11 : Centering the start menu, only to later add back the option to move it to the left, removing quick launch, titles and never combine icons options. And adding completely arbitrary system requirements that made 99% of hardware older than 3 years incompatible with it. Of course there are workarounds, but who wants to risk that on production critical systems?

So what did microsoft do with windows since 7 that was actually a welcome change? The code improvements and newer directx versions could've been added as an update while keeping windows 7's functionality and usability.

It's pretty obvious from your comment that you've never actually installed Windows 11 on older hardware before. Windows 11 is hands-down the easiest OS to install on most computers (including older computers) when it comes to drivers. Windows 11 will find almost all drivers automatically via Windows Update, including drivers for systems that would never possibly meet the system requirements for Windows 11.
It's pretty obvious from your comment that you've not installed a modern linux distro on any hardware whatsoever. You don't need any kind of hacking to make it work, it recognizes the hardware. Most drivers that come from windows update are still missing functionality or otherwise broken. It's like they are deliberately making them worse than official drivers from the HW manufacturer. So you can't get around installing drivers manually for most of your hardware, and then go out of your way to block windows from re-installing the worse version because it might have a higher version number slapped on it. But of course a regular end user is unlikely to get around the TPM and CPU requirements anyway.

And what if MS decides to push an update that starts enforcing the tpm and cpu requirements? What then? I don't recommend Windows 11 on any hardware, but especially on HW that is unsupported.

It's pretty obvious from your comment that you've not installed a modern linux distro on any hardware whatsoever. You don't need any kind of hacking to make it work, it recognizes the hardware.
Not sure why you're getting defensive about Linux. This isn't a Linux thread and none of my posts were talking about Linux one way or the other.

Most drivers that come from windows update are still missing functionality or otherwise broken. It's like they are deliberately making them worse than official drivers from the HW manufacturer.
Drivers from Windows Update don't always come with all of the bells and whistles, but especially on older hardware, it's usually more than adequate. I'm not advocating relying on Windows Update for all of your drivers, especially on modern hardware. On older hardware, it gets everything working, and any piece of hardware where you might want more functionality you still have the option of tracking down and manually installing the drivers for whatever you want to.

So you can't get around installing drivers manually for most of your hardware, and then go out of your way to block windows from re-installing the worse version because it might have a higher version number slapped on it.
I've never had an issue with Windows Update overwriting any drivers that I have manually installed. For one, most drivers in Windows Update show up as optional updates. They don't install unless you select them and install them.

But of course a regular end user is unlikely to get around the TPM and CPU requirements anyway.

And what if MS decides to push an update that starts enforcing the tpm and cpu requirements? What then? I don't recommend Windows 11 on any hardware, but especially on HW that is unsupported.
A "regular user" probably wouldn't even care to upgrade their OS at all. But it doesn't take a particularly advanced user to make one of the many different bypass methods work.

As much as you'd love to imagine a doom and gloom scenario where one day non-compliant Windows 11 computers simply stop working because Microsoft decided to "enforce" requirements, that's simply not going to happen. The worst that would happen would be that they would not be offered future yearly feature updates. This has already happened actually. Those who used a bypass method on version 21H2 or earlier were never offered 22H2. Of course, all you have to do is a 10-15 minute in-place upgrade to the latest version to get around that.

The bottom line is that Windows 10 will be EoL in 2 years. At that point Windows 11 will be the only option to run a Windows version that is still supported. With that in mind, I believe it makes more sense to install Windows 11 now than sticking with an OS that is headed for a dead-end. Even if someone installed Windows 11 23H2 now and never received another feature update ever again, they would still be no worse off than if they continued to use Windows 10. Windows 11 23H2 will be supported until October 2025, the same as Windows 10.

Microsoft knows that 2 years from now there will still be a lot of people wanting to continue using their older hardware. They don't benefit at all from alienating and antagonizing those people. I still have my single-core Pentium 4 computer, purposefully selected as the oldest computer that I can get Windows 11 running on, and I regularly test Beta (future), Dev (far future), and Canary (far far future) insider builds on it to see if there is anything new coming down the pipeline that would cause issues with older hardware. Nothing yet.

Not sure why you're getting defensive about Linux. This isn't a Linux thread and none of my posts were talking about Linux one way or the other.
You were literally responding to a post about linux claiming Windows 11 is easier to install on older HW. And I'd be the last person to be defensive about linux, as I don't like it, never did. I'm partial however to facts, and linux might be many things, but hard to set up it is not anymore.
Drivers from Windows Update don't always come with all of the bells and whistles, but especially on older hardware, it's usually more than adequate. I'm not advocating relying on Windows Update for all of your drivers, especially on modern hardware. On older hardware, it gets everything working, and any piece of hardware where you might want more functionality you still have the option of tracking down and manually installing the drivers for whatever you want to.
That's the point, you need to manually install drivers if you want full functionality, but with older hardware esp. There will be no driver available, leaving you with compromised usability. Which is designed to force you to buy new HW, just as the TPM requirement and lack of support for older generation CPUs. This is why Windows 11 is especially ill suited for older hardware. While if you install W10, or god forbid Win7 then you'll have full functionality with all the bells and whistles.
I've never had an issue with Windows Update overwriting any drivers that I have manually installed. For one, most drivers in Windows Update show up as optional updates. They don't install unless you select them and install them.
Are we back to this? "It's not a problem for me therefore it doesn't exist" ???
Unfortuantely I've experienced this many times, not even just on W11 but sometimes earlier versions as well.
A "regular user" probably wouldn't even care to upgrade their OS at all. But it doesn't take a particularly advanced user to make one of the many different bypass methods work.
The argument I disagreeing with was that W11 is easy to set up on older hardware. Yes advanced users are probably able to get around the roadblocks, but if they can do that they can also install drivers for their GPU and other hardware that needs it. Making your point about windows update moot.
As much as you'd love to imagine a doom and gloom scenario where one day non-compliant Windows 11 computers simply stop working because Microsoft decided to "enforce" requirements, that's simply not going to happen. The worst that would happen would be that they would not be offered future yearly feature updates. This has already happened actually. Those who used a bypass method on version 21H2 or earlier were never offered 22H2. Of course, all you have to do is a 10-15 minute in-place upgrade to the latest version to get around that.
And for a regular user that can already be the end of the line, because they won't go looking and manually updating their version. So my recommendation remains: don't go around installing w11 on old unsupported hardware unless you know what you are doing and accept the risks.
The bottom line is that Windows 10 will be EoL in 2 years. At that point Windows 11 will be the only option to run a Windows version that is still supported. With that in mind, I believe it makes more sense to install Windows 11 now than sticking with an OS that is headed for a dead-end. Even if someone installed Windows 11 23H2 now and never received another feature update ever again, they would still be no worse off than if they continued to use Windows 10. Windows 11 23H2 will be supported until October 2025, the same as Windows 10.
You are recommending people to open their umbrella because it might rain in 2 years. Let's see if it will actually rain shall we?
Microsoft knows that 2 years from now there will still be a lot of people wanting to continue using their older hardware. They don't benefit at all from alienating and antagonizing those people. I still have my single-core Pentium 4 computer, purposefully selected as the oldest computer that I can get Windows 11 running on, and I regularly test Beta (future), Dev (far future), and Canary (far far future) insider builds on it to see if there is anything new coming down the pipeline that would cause issues with older hardware. Nothing yet.
And the same logic can be applied to w10, if 2 years from now W10 market share will still be significant they won't dare to discontinue critical updates for it and alienating all those people, which is a lot more than those running W11 on unsupported HW.

You were literally responding to a post about linux claiming Windows 11 is easier to install on older HW. And I'd be the last person to be defensive about linux, as I don't like it, never did. I'm partial however to facts, and linux might be many things, but hard to set up it is not anymore.
The post I was responding to made dumb claims such as older GPUs not working on Windows 11 which is simply false. Whether or not Linux is "easier" or not I couldn't care less. I'm not interested in partaking in irrelevant Linux tangents that some seem obsessed with trying to take this thread off into.

That's the point, you need to manually install drivers if you want full functionality, but with older hardware esp. There will be no driver available, leaving you with compromised usability. Which is designed to force you to buy new HW, just as the TPM requirement and lack of support for older generation CPUs. This is why Windows 11 is especially ill suited for older hardware. While if you install W10, or god forbid Win7 then you'll have full functionality with all the bells and whistles.
Maybe for something like a Video driver (which can be easily found, even for old cards) but for chipset drivers, USB drivers, sound drivers, wifi drivers, etc, in most cases you don't need the extra bloat anyway when installing on older hardware. There is really nothing wrong with the drivers that Windows Update installs in most cases, and sometimes they even do include things like control panels, etc. And again, considering that you can use drivers from all the way back to Vista if you have to, the whole idea that there will be "no driver available" is silly. Why would you think that Windows 10 or even Windows 7 would give you better driver support when Windows 11 is able to use those exact same drivers? What sort of hardware do you think you can use on 10 (64-bit) or 7 (64-bit) that you can't use on 11?

Are we back to this? "It's not a problem for me therefore it doesn't exist" ???
Unfortuantely I've experienced this many times, not even just on W11 but sometimes earlier versions as well.
It's not like I've just done this on a couple computers. I've installed Windows 11 on probably over 100 older computers at this point. So yeah, I'm pretty confident about how Windows 11 behaves in this scenario. In most of your posts it's clear that you are borderline just making stuff up or taking some odd experience you had and assuming it's commonplace when it's not.

The argument I disagreeing with was that W11 is easy to set up on older hardware. Yes advanced users are probably able to get around the roadblocks, but if they can do that they can also install drivers for their GPU and other hardware that needs it. Making your point about windows update moot.
Except that it doesn't take an "advanced user" to do a requirements bypass. Someone could just use rufus or follow a "guide" that is a few sentences long. Someone could install drivers if they want to but on most computers you could actually install Windows 11 and have everything at a usable state without even installing a single driver. Maybe you would be missing a proprietary control panel or two but most people wouldn't even notice or miss them. Ultimately though, whether someone uses drivers from Windows Update or installs them on their own is irrelevant. The point is that the hardware will work. You have to go all the way back to XP-era hardware that never got a Vista or newer driver released to find hardware that won't actually work on Windows 11.

And for a regular user that can already be the end of the line, because they won't go looking and manually updating their version.
Windows 7 hitting End of Life got a lot of people to upgrade and I expect the same once Windows 10 approaches End of Life.

You are recommending people to open their umbrella because it might rain in 2 years. Let's see if it will actually rain shall we?
More like, why continue to use an old OS if you have a choice? Unless you plan to abandon the hardware in two years, might as well upgrade now. Microsoft has already said that Windows 10 22H2 will be the last version, so it's already coasting along and will get no more major updates other than security updates.

And the same logic can be applied to w10, if 2 years from now W10 market share will still be significant they won't dare to discontinue critical updates for it and alienating all those people, which is a lot more than those running W11 on unsupported HW.
The EoL date for Windows 10 has been clearly established for a long time. There were a lot of people still using 7 when it hit EoL and it didn't change anything. When Windows 10 hits EoL, those who know enough to care will probably install 11 with a bypass, those who don't know enough to care will probably just keep using 10 like those who are still using 7, until they get hit with ransomware, etc, due to running an insecure OS.

the modern hardware requirements is really at the core of the slow migration.

plenty of people auto-upgraded to windows 10 on PCs that once ran Windows 7, heck probably even Vista.

the modern hardware requirements is really at the core of the slow migration.

plenty of people auto-upgraded to windows 10 on PCs that once ran Windows 7, heck probably even Vista.
When you can build/buy a better PC for less than $100, there is no excuse. These same people drop $1200+ on a new phone every year.

When you can build/buy a better PC for less than $100, there is no excuse. These same people drop $1200+ on a new phone every year.

Their excuse is they spend more time on their phone and it's more important to them. Further, Windows 10 and their PC works just fine, so that $100 dollars stays right in their pocket.

Because Win 11 is Sh!t. Win 10 was also Sh!t. You know what wasn't Sh!t? Windows 7. Windows 7 did what you needed without all the telemetry and ads and cortana and microsoft store BS.
Windows 7 has telemetry built in, people just didn't care because there was no opt out option visible in the user interface as was added in Windows 8.1. Funny how people get more pissed off when Microsoft adds transparency.

The post I was responding to made dumb claims such as older GPUs not working on Windows 11 which is simply false. Whether or not Linux is "easier" or not I couldn't care less. I'm not interested in partaking in irrelevant Linux tangents that some seem obsessed with trying to take this thread off into.
Let me refresh your memory, this was the claim you were responding to: "The amount of effort needed to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware is harder than installing Linux."
Maybe for something like a Video driver (which can be easily found, even for old cards) but for chipset drivers, USB drivers, sound drivers, wifi drivers, etc, in most cases you don't need the extra bloat anyway when installing on older hardware. There is really nothing wrong with the drivers that Windows Update installs in most cases, and sometimes they even do include things like control panels, etc. And again, considering that you can use drivers from all the way back to Vista if you have to, the whole idea that there will be "no driver available" is silly. Why would you think that Windows 10 or even Windows 7 would give you better driver support when Windows 11 is able to use those exact same drivers? What sort of hardware do you think you can use on 10 (64-bit) or 7 (64-bit) that you can't use on 11?
Windows 11 is not able to use the same drivers, in some cases it might work, but that is not the rule but the exception. There is an improvement in driver support on Windows 11, but my argument was never that drivers don't exist, but that they are not the best versions.
It's not like I've just done this on a couple computers. I've installed Windows 11 on probably over 100 older computers at this point. So yeah, I'm pretty confident about how Windows 11 behaves in this scenario. In most of your posts it's clear that you are borderline just making stuff up or taking some odd experience you had and assuming it's commonplace when it's not.
Only someone who has a habit of making stuff up on the spot would assume others are also doing that. I'm not a narcissist, I don't make shit up to win arguments on the internet. Everything I say is 100% my lived experience. That's the reason I commented in the first place, because you claimed something that contradicted my first hand experience. That Win11 is not harder to install on an old system than linux.
Except that it doesn't take an "advanced user" to do a requirements bypass. Someone could just use rufus or follow a "guide" that is a few sentences long.
Anyone who uses rufus qualifies as an advanced user. And the fact that you need an additional app and follow a guide already demolishes the idea that Win11 is just as easy or easier to install than a modern linux made for desktop usage.
Someone could install drivers if they want to but on most computers you could actually install Windows 11 and have everything at a usable state without even installing a single driver. Maybe you would be missing a proprietary control panel or two but most people wouldn't even notice or miss them. Ultimately though, whether someone uses drivers from Windows Update or installs them on their own is irrelevant. The point is that the hardware will work. You have to go all the way back to XP-era hardware that never got a Vista or newer driver released to find hardware that won't actually work on Windows 11.
Work while missing capabilities is not really working in my book. Work means fully functional as intended.
Windows 7 hitting End of Life got a lot of people to upgrade and I expect the same once Windows 10 approaches End of Life.
Except Windows 7 only had 40% market share left 2 years before EOL, Windows 10 is still over 70%. That's a big gap to close.
More like, why continue to use an old OS if you have a choice? Unless you plan to abandon the hardware in two years, might as well upgrade now.
Because it suits my work better, and has a better UI? I thought that was clear. Why would I want a worse user experience sooner?
Microsoft has already said that Windows 10 22H2 will be the last version, so it's already coasting along and will get no more major updates other than security updates.
They also said Windows 10 will be the last windows release ever. Plans change. And if over 50% of installs are still Windows 10 in 2015, that should be more than enough reason for them to reconsider. The feature updates were to its detriment anyway, making it worse with each iteration, I wish there were only security updates ever. At least for the last 3 years I'll have a dependable OS, that won't shuffle around or remove functions overnight.
The EoL date for Windows 10 has been clearly established for a long time. There were a lot of people still using 7 when it hit EoL and it didn't change anything. When Windows 10 hits EoL, those who know enough to care will probably install 11 with a bypass, those who don't know enough to care will probably just keep using 10 like those who are still using 7, until they get hit with ransomware, etc, due to running an insecure OS.
Now what was that talk about doom and gloom scenarios?

More like, why continue to use an old OS if you have a choice? Unless you plan to abandon the hardware in two years, might as well upgrade now. Microsoft has already said that Windows 10 22H2 will be the last version, so it's already coasting along and will get no more major updates other than security updates.

My philosophy is the complete opposite.

Software isn't like hardware. There is no benefit to being "current" or "modern" or using the latest.

Older versions, provided they are still being patched are generally better and more stable as they have more years of patching and bug fixing under their belts.

I'd argue the proper approach is, if you have software that is still supported, and isn't missing any features you need, you should never "upgrade" just because.

Doing something as drastic as replacing your operating system should happen for a reason. A new feature you can't do without is such a reason. Security patching being dropped on the version you are on is another reason.

You should never "upgrade" a working system "just because".

And honestly, "getting no new updates other than security" is a positive if you ask me. That's the way I wish every windows version was. The desktop experience has been fully mature since Vista. That's when the last really positive feature (UAC) was added. There hasn't been a wanted feature addition since then. (Windows 7 was great, but let's face it, it was really just a Windows Vista reskin / UI update.

What am I going to miss out on?

- News and interests on the taskbar? Fuck that.
- Xbox software I am still pissed is in windows and I can't get rid of? Fuck that
- Cortana or that new AI garbage no one wants? Fuck that
- More forced ecosystem bloat? Fuck that
- Fucking weather and news stories in my start menu? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?
- Worse control panel/settings screens that make a system more difficult to configure?
- Integrated cloud bullshit?

This is the type of useless feature updates they have been adding for at least the last 8 years if not as many as 17 years.

There hasn't been a new Windows feature I've wanted since Vista was launched in 2006, and the next decade doesn't sound promising either.

Why would I want to rush into more of that garbage? I'll put it off as long as I can.

The only reason I can see for using Windows 11 today is if you have a newer CPU that isn't properly supported under Windows 10. Absolutely everyone else would be best served staying on Windows 10.

Essentially, unless there is a compelling reason not to, always, always , always stay on the oldest version of software/os that is still supported and does the things you need it to do.

After I am done riding Windows 10 into the sunset, and it goes EOL, I won't be skipping to whatever Microsoft calls their latest and greatest OS (12?). Unless there is a stupid reason why I can't (like no drivers for my hardware because Microsoft wants to force you to "upgrade") presuming I stay with Windows at all, I will be switching to 11 and then riding that into the sunset.

Last edited:
I am moving as many of my employees as possible to MacOS. I am tired of Microsoft's BS.
Hopefully you don't have to use any Microsoft apps or try to manage the Macs on say a work domain. Its a pretty poor experience.

OEM builds and limited to no Microsoft use? Have fun.

If they finally add never combine, show titles, and quick launch for the taskbar, then I might not be 100% against Win11. Besides 4 out of 5 computers I own are not even compatible with it. So unless Microsoft wants to pay me to upgrade computers perfectly suitable for what I'm using them for, it's not gonna happen.
I've been running Win 11 in a VM for a few months now and have been using ExplorerPatcher to bring the Win 10 task bar to Win 11 (yes, it has quick launch and never combine). It seems to be working perfectly so you can probably do the upgrade if you want. I also use Open Shell to have a Win7ish style start menu which as a side benefit has no ads or recommendations.

I cant even be bothered to read all the posts in this thread. I rarely, if ever, see valid arguments for not liking the next version of Windows except for trying to avoid change.

Its the same thing, every time. The transition from XP to Vista to 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 to 11 have all been the same:

View attachment 603486
A lot of the hate is pointed at the required online connection and data privacy concerns. That's not about not liking change, that's about not being an operating system anymore and being a spyware device. Windows is to the point it's worse than some early 2K malware. And not liking change is a valid thought. I mean, WTF was tesla thinking with a yoke, or apple with dongle everything, or intel with a 5ghz xeon cooled with the chiller from Bob's aquarium duct taped together?

I can't say I have noticed a difference in functionality exactly but I sort of miss being able to move it, I kept it on top so I could more easily move between Apple and Microsoft environments because the muscle memory would go to the same general places when I thought Oh I need to launch this, but aside from that I can't say anything is overly different.

Yea, 8 was so fine that it got me to start running Linux as my main OS (really glad it did!). I've had way fewer issue with Linux than I've had with Windows. I run MX Linux and run Windows 11 in a VM.

If you thought 8 was fine or good.. please turn in your [H] card upon exiting the forum.

🤣

I didn't mind 8, hit the Start key > start typing, or just right click the Start button/Windows logo for the other stuff - full screen Start menu never bothered me, never used it

I didn't mind 8, hit the Start key > start typing, or just right click the Start button/Windows logo for the other stuff - full screen Start menu never bothered me, never used it
I wonder how big the I am [h] a lot but do stuff with my mouse crowd (windows+X since win8, the new terminal, the start+type 2-3 key to launch something or go to a setting section, seem to have replaced pretty much everything and made UI choice near irrelevant), it is something that seem more common than one could have imagined.

View attachment 603501
View attachment 603502
View attachment 603503
View attachment 603504

I agree, the Windows XP UI was nice.

The Shaded 3D elements look a little dated, but you could always reskin it.

The only UI feature I would miss if I had to use XP today is the searchable start menu. Windows Key -> Type I still how I open most programs.

Take the XP UI and add a searchable start menu, and I would be pretty happy. I don't need any other features than that.

Other than UI though, a lot has improved under the hood since then that would be problematic on modern systems.

My ideal windows operating system would be maybe a refreshed/reskinned Windows 7, with kernel/scheduler updates to work well with modern hardware.

Leave everything else out. It's just annoying bloat of no value.

I'd like to see where you're getting that 'less than $100' figure.

I'll only "upgrade" to W11 when Microsoft says that DX13 will only work on W11 or W12.

Just like I did for 95B to 98 & 98SE for DX9.
Just like I did for 2000Pro to XP for DX9.0C and 64bit and better NTFS support.
Just like I did for XP to Vista for DX10 and better 64bit support.
Just like I did for 7 to 8.1 for DX11.1-DX11.2 and the placebo speed increase I felt I had gotten.
Just like I did for 8.1 to 10 for DX12.

If I wasn't a gamer, I would probably still be on 7 or 8.1 on my main rig, as a lot of my laptops, severs and older pc's are.

Back