Tribes Ascend now live

Shrike can be hurt by bullets and everything else. However shrikes also have a known bug that's listed all over the hirez forums. Where they will often not take damage from explosives, spinfusors, grenades, etc...they bounce off, pass through...arx buster gets stuck on it but never explodes. So they are way more effective because they simply don't take damage when they should. Very weird to steer them and you have to kind of get less panicked by missile lock on to be effective. It's like a third sense, some guys seem to know exactly where those missiles are and go over a hill at the last possible second.

Tanks, you basically can't avoid anything. The thing is too slow to climb hills so you have to get up on a hill and go down quickly when the shitstorm of people finally come to kill you. Barrel moves very slowly and can't look up so once they get on to of you....you're usually dead. I find the aiming on this to be a little weird. Sometimes when you think will miss hits, and what you think should hit misses. It's like the projectile itself is kind of misrepresented graphically.

Grav cycle is just kind of fun. You'll find that you get a lot of people trying to kill you and you can distract a lot of people in pubs by just making runs through their base and shooting in their general direction. Hitting people with the bike is pretty damn hard compared to shrike, it's pretty hard to steer on hillsides because it tends to drift and each bump messes up your steering.

Now with all of that said. The big factor that keeps people from playing with vehicles? Is there is or was a bug where people who used vehicles a lot, despite their score got HORRIBLE XP rewards. Like a 10k score without vehicles is anywhere from two to four times as much as with vehicles. I have seen this happen to myself more than once, 5k one round no vehicle use, next round even more score and way less xp despite winning both rounds. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens a lot to make it really f-in annoying. Because it's a challenge to get kills with vehicles at times and you end up with a crap reward as a result...even if you use it for the last little bit of the round.

This why I mainly stopped using vehicles, XP reward would bottom out enough that I just decided it wasn't worth the time spent. I'll wait until XP isn't as critical later when Im mostly done with unlocks.

Shrike can be hurt by bullets and everything else. However shrikes also have a known bug that's listed all over the hirez forums. Where they will often not take damage from explosives, spinfusors, grenades, etc...they bounce off, pass through...arx buster gets stuck on it but never explodes. So they are way more effective because they simply don't take damage when they should. Very weird to steer them and you have to kind of get less panicked by missile lock on to be effective. It's like a third sense, some guys seem to know exactly where those missiles are and go over a hill at the last possible second.

There's only one thing that bugs me with Shrikes... why in the #%&*( do they not take damage when a Shrike (flying, light, maneuverable vehicle) rams a player (light/medium/heavy armor) and insta-kills them? Ramming a player should be equivalent to running in to a wall, how in the hell does it kill them without taking damage?!?

I recognize some guys who just rush the base as fast as possible, spamming fractals or whatever, just to get enough credits to buy a shrike and sit in it for the rest of the game. Or the same, but with a Beowulf.

This iteration of Tribes would probably be fine without vehicles to be honest. Tribes 2 seemed to have much larger levels, you had the mobile base, the bomber, and the havoc transport. And they didn't cost credits so they were always around. But not powerful enough to dominate levels like in T:A. There was a lot more you could do in those levels, and a lot more strategy with vehicles. In T:A they're just used for kill whoring (Grav Cycle just being a death trap for the most part, maybe cheap transport for some heavies), Shrike is good for flag chasing, but it's almost too good. I've been in games where 2 shrikes are defending the flag and you can't even get close. You have to almost dedicate multiple DMB to take them out or harass them enough. Although one game I managed to sneak a dropped flag out from underneath two shrikes, naded one and the other crashed trying to ram me, then I naded the pilot and got home safe. A good sentinel or chasers should be enough to stop the flag though.

I never bother with vehicles though, I used the grav-cycle and shrike all the damn time in T2 though, you could ram people and get going pretty fast with the grav-cycle (get some crazy air in levels with water too as the buoyancy would rocket you back to the surface, ). Shrike was just a better vehicle in T2, you had to balance energy for shields, jets, and weapons. And you weren't locked to any axis.

Just rambling, but I'm on the stance that vehicles are pretty meh in T:A, it's great as an infantry game.

There's only one thing that bugs me with Shrikes... why in the #%&*( do they not take damage when a Shrike (flying, light, maneuverable vehicle) rams a player (light/medium/heavy armor) and insta-kills them? Ramming a player should be equivalent to running in to a wall, how in the hell does it kill them without taking damage?!?

Eh, I think it's funny. It's harder to hit people than you'd think. Some guys can outrun shrikes...others just know how to avoid people. And then it's just hard to hit people on their way up or way down if you're not right behind them, crossing their path hits are very hard.

Shrikes don't instakill heavies, it can take up to 3 hits to kill a heavy. On mediums I am not sure. Lights are insta kills though. You can even lower the damage you take via the safe fall perk ( I don't have this yet, so I can't speak to how effective it is). I like getting a brute and gladiatoring shrikes, it kills them outright every time I have ever done it. I can take the hit, plant the glad on them and laugh...because they can't NOT hit you....it's too fun hitting people.

But that reminds me to state, do make sure you spend your credits every game, any credits you spend typically work you toward badges which results in extra XP. Any you dont spend are wasted.

Didn't know that, thanks. I generally ended up with like 2-4k credits at the end of a round, sometimes using some for an airstrike but generally just not caring.

matchmaking seems odd. Just played 4 maps where 3 level 15 guys were on one side and everyone else was under level 6 and they famred the one team 20-0 in flags(4 rounds) with no round lasting more then 10min, some closer to 5 or 6min.
Whats weird is I was heavy on flag, standing right on the flag, and without even seeing them, "so and so has your flag" and they are half way to their base. I noticed there is no anticheat.

matchmaking seems odd. Just played 4 maps where 3 level 15 guys were on one side and everyone else was under level 6 and they famred the one team 20-0 in flags(4 rounds) with no round lasting more then 10min, some closer to 5 or 6min.
Whats weird is I was heavy on flag, standing right on the flag, and without even seeing them, "so and so has your flag" and they are half way to their base. I noticed there is no anticheat.

I think it's possible that with the "reach" perk a pathfinder could skim right over you and grab the flag without having to move you, not sure though. As for not seeing them, idk, I've never seen an invisible person grab the flag...could be lag related maybe? Jammer pack and so you just didn't notice them? I see guys with jammer packs running around and nobody's shooting at them because they don't have a little icon above their heads so it's like nobody even knows they're there.

Yeah, the matchmaking was discussed before and I've noticed the same thing, where a couple of higher ranks will be in the match with a bunch of -10 ranks (so like, some Rank 15s in a Rank 5-6 game) and whoever's team they're on tends to win by a landslide.

I've noticed something like this going on. I was the only Doombringer on my team, and I was loaded out (proximity mines), equipped all out (stronger chaingun, upgraded secondary), perked with the right things (Safety Third, Super Heavy), and doing my best to stand over the flag and strategically place mines and force fields (when possible).. and also Mastered or almost Mastered the perks.

yet in some rounds my team, despite my efforts, got raped in the butt and the round over in 5 minutes.

it's retarded.

I haven't seen anyone jump across the map in an instant, but sometimes I'll have people grab and be a good distance away before I orient on them. I guess on.....can't remember it's name atm. The one with 2 floating ships with an open expanse between them. That map you COULD be across pretty fast if you did a back to front grab with a lot of speed.

The rest tend to have enough distance to stop that. Drydock is the only one I've seen people able to hop over the mountain quickly...because they aren't really that far apart distance wise..the hill is just in the way.

I also sometimes find that the edges of map indicating flag location are not what I would expect. IE, Ill see the flag on the right edge of my screen and Ill turn to the right and just have to keep turning to spot it even though it's REALLY far away. Not like the guy is flying over my head and I am just blind.

I just attributed it to me being disoriented or seeing the flag when I was turned looking at something else and not adjusting... but it could be something wrong with the flag detecting on the edge of your screen making you waste more time spinning to get it in your HUD so you can actually tell how far/high/low/etc it is. Funnily enough, the same thing happens when the flag is dropped and bounces near you. It goes nuts on your HUD when it gets high above you like it's all around you until it finally gets down to a more or less resting spot.

Maps with quick back to fronts: Crossfire (before the rock jump fix), Katabatic, Arx Novena, Drydock.

The ranks dont make too much of a difference in pubs, as long as there arnt rank 30+ players flooding a team I usually dont care, then again I dont really care about winning in pubs. Dont get me wrong I still do my part and switch roles to whatever my team is completely ignoring (usually chasing and flag D). One person on a team can make a difference if they are really proficient in flag D, HOF, or capping. A good experienced capper will destroy a pub without much difficulty if the opposing teams flag d/hof/chaser is new. For that reason I usually play soldier on flag to stop cappers and extend the game as much as possible. (or snipe cappers). With the recent influx of steam players, games have been really shitty lately, but I expect most of the bad players will either stop playing or get a handle on the game. I dont expect much teamwork in pub games (no matter what game Im playing). Also because of the influx of steam players I seem to be getting put in low ranking games all the time, which is annoying for me, and the opposing team. It will all equal out soon I suspect.

Last edited:
I started playing this last night. If you want to friend me benchif4. I'll also be streaming on my twitch.tv account. Only played for 30 minutes last night so, I'm level three so far.

I dont expect much teamwork in pub games (no matter what game Im playing).

The funny thing is that I see a lot more teamwork, or at least a lot of people taking roles that don't necessarily result in the most kills or points, in this game than in pretty much any other FPS in terms of pub games. It's actually pretty cool to see two teams with really good D and cappers having to work hard in a pub game.

I wasted a little bit of gold unlocking classes, but I got a daily deal for the Stealth Spinfusor for 105 GP (75% off). 75000 XP to unlock. Pretty good deal I think!

If anyone has not seen it the starter package with 800 gold is 50% off on steampowered.com, so now I think it is a pretty good deal this is the cheapest you can get VIP that I am aware of.

LOL @ skin prices. I just got a daily deal for 35% off a skin, which was normally like 950 GP, now 600 something... :rolleyes:

So they have already updated the game a bit with what's intended for their new patch sometime next week.

But if you haven't noticed they added rank matchmaking where you'll get a lot of gold ranks together. It's much better when it's working right. But there's a problem of when there aren't enough people you'll be playing matches with 4v4 for a long period and end up with a full game by the end. But you're destined to win/lose early on because of the lead one group gets over the other.

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=81186

There are the rest of the "sneak preview" patch notes. New CTF maps, some skins, twinfusors (Im guessing it shoots two disks).

They are also making it easier to hit people midair with spinfusors, bolt launchers, and thumps. Taking out some of the grenade impulse....

Adding in some queueing options so 4 people can queue together.

Bunch of other changes, but those are what stick out as being the ones to pay the most attention to. The rest are small percentage changes or perk changes that generally look to improve the perk. They did nerf doombringer a little bit on ammo.

Oh and safe fall perk now makes you immune to vehicle run over. That should piss off the shrikers.

I've noticed too the past couple of matches the ranking have been much more even. But at the same time it does take longer to fill. But I was actually having more fun in the higher ranked matches, because those were usually a lot closer and lasted longer. I guess I'll just have to keep ranking then. Steam says I've been playing 28 hours now, and I'm at level 13. How do you guys rack up the experience outside of the first win? My first win I'll get like 2500xp, but anything after that I'll get around 1000xp, and even less if the game is quick. I'll capture flags, get a few kills, but it's still only good for 1500xp tops. And this is with the 50% VIP boost.

You get the most XP by 1) Winning 2) Long match times 3) Topping scoreboard

Winning is kind of a team effort, but XP is better if you win.

Long matches, this is a kind of sort of. If you go a long match but do hardly anything you're boned. And sometimes a lot of short matches can be more XP if you win them all versus one long losing. But to get the big numbers you need long matches.

Topping the scoreboard. My issue here is that what awards the most points doesn't necessarily add up to winning. People who camp enemy gens or camp enemy base tend to get a lot of score, but contribute little to the winning process. You'll see teams with massive scores still lose because they aren't working on the flags or objectives.

Also, stay out of vehicles. There WAS a bug where you'd get shit XP if you were using vehicles. I don't know if this is still true, I avoid them because I'd rather get rewarded for my time.

If you want to get most XP, long matches and kind of ignore the objectives in favor of kills and credits so you can lay down orbitals and such for even more kills and points.

For example - Really good flag runners usually get between 3rd and fifth place. Have 1-3 kills...and maybe an assist or two. But they are usually half of the amount the top scorer has who ignored flags mostly. The flag runner won the match for you, but top scorer is going to get probably close to another 1k of XP.

I love this game. I didnt realize it was free to play, I was planning on buying it when I had the $$.

Level 11 now, only been playing a few days. I played tribes2 for years tho, so I'm a damn good skiier. My aim needs a lot of work tho, tribes is really the only shooter of its type as far as aiming goes. I mean you need to take their velocity, your velocity, ect all into account.

Part of it is I like flag running or flag recovery, I like to move really fast. I had a 207km/h flag grab last nite :) But shooting flag runners who also keep it at high speed is insanely difficult when Im also moving that fast shooting my little blue discs at them heh.

I figured Id start with unlocking every class, just 2 14k classes to go. Man I missed this high speed tribes action!

You get the most XP by 1) Winning 2) Long match times 3) Topping scoreboard

Winning is kind of a team effort, but XP is better if you win.

Long matches, this is a kind of sort of. If you go a long match but do hardly anything you're boned. And sometimes a lot of short matches can be more XP if you win them all versus one long losing. But to get the big numbers you need long matches.

Topping the scoreboard. My issue here is that what awards the most points doesn't necessarily add up to winning. People who camp enemy gens or camp enemy base tend to get a lot of score, but contribute little to the winning process. You'll see teams with massive scores still lose because they aren't working on the flags or objectives.

Also, stay out of vehicles. There WAS a bug where you'd get shit XP if you were using vehicles. I don't know if this is still true, I avoid them because I'd rather get rewarded for my time.

If you want to get most XP, long matches and kind of ignore the objectives in favor of kills and credits so you can lay down orbitals and such for even more kills and points.

For example - Really good flag runners usually get between 3rd and fifth place. Have 1-3 kills...and maybe an assist or two. But they are usually half of the amount the top scorer has who ignored flags mostly. The flag runner won the match for you, but top scorer is going to get probably close to another 1k of XP.

I feel you there. When I flag run I dont usually amass many kills, and when Im not flag running Im chasing their fc. So like you say Ill get a few fc kills and a bunch of caps but not usually top spots. Sometimes when my team is decent Ill go tech, drop 2 turrets somewhere useful, then tech flag run. This way my turrets get some kills now and then lol.

The length of matches does not matter. I consider that a myth. You get a certain amount of xp per minute of play that is it. If that happens in 5 matches or 1 match it does not matter. Some people argue that the measly 45 seconds you spend between matches adds up, but that is a pretty insignificant fraction. If you are on the losing team you are way better off to let the other team win fast and get on to the next match to get a win.

But the other 2 are true unless the latest patch has rectified them. They are stupid because they cause team stacking. The truth is the only way to really increase your XP is to stack teams and win. The last place player on the winning team makes more xp than the first place player on the losing team.

AFAIK vehicles do not negatively affect xp gain. In fact if you get decent they can rack up so many kills you end up in first place giving you more xp, on top of that you definitely help your team win. Farming kills is important but you can do it as a defender or offense on the flag helping the team. Also vehicles = defensive streaks with boosts your credits.

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=75311

kuromahou, watch the steam summer sale on the last day they will likely sell the tribes starter pack which gives you a couple classes and a bunch of great stuff for flag cappers it should be $5 for all that and VIP. Really good deal dont miss it.

Long matches will absolutely get your more XP. You have more opportunity for credits to OS, Tactical Strike, etc. Get streaks, etc. Those super quick hammer into the ground matches, one or two guys might get the same XP as they do in the long matches. But far more will be left running around trying to be useful. Overall a longer match = more XP and better XP ratios on time unless you have someone trolling your team and just more or less farming you with a stack in their favor.

And I've seen some farm/troll matches, ending it quick doesn't stop the farm/troll stacks because they just stack it again. Leaving is better in those situations. Forces the stackers to play each other.

You dont have siginificantly more oppertunity. Sure techically some badges are easier if you have more time, IE vehicle run overs where you need to get up to 2800 credits to get a shrike. But once you are past that point you have a certain amount of skill, and you are going to be doing things at a certain rate. When it gets to the 4th cap you should know to spend your credits which will apply to badges regardless of it is a 5 minute match or 25 minute match. Kill streaks are in 5 kill increments. So getting 5 kill streaks is the same as getting slayer. You can even argue the other way, if you are a capper short matches allow you to farm caps faster. If you are a smart player and want to farm badges which are the only other way to get any xp and extremely innefficient once you get past the first sets of them, you are going to farm whatever badges in a short or long amount of time.

Tribes: Ascend Starter Pack is back up on a Flash Deal on Steam for $4.99 for another 5.5 hours.

Farming for badges is a whole nother ball game for most badges. Original question was getting the most XP. You tend to get the most XP by winning, top scoreboard and longer matches. You can sometimes match it by doing short rounds, but consistency is in the longer rounds since your score is going to be easier to raise given more time. Plus the formula for XP reward is based on time spent in the round and if you won or lost.

This is advice was asked by someone with 28 hours in the game and rank 13. That's the best answer IMO for them.

Yup, exp is based on, if you won or lose, winner gets more, how high up on your teams side score are you, and how long the match lasted. The match length one is the biggest modifier. Of course VIP/Boost are added after all that.

I've reached the point where XP doesn't really matter and I think I'm only level 30 or so. My loadouts are all set/maxed and there isn't much that I actually want. The new weapons haven't really excited me - I picked up the new mortar and ended up going back to the old one (bigger splash radius is more important to me). I still haven't unlocked the infiltrator.

However I am banking some XP for the next patch so I can pick up a twinfusor for my juggie (unless it sucks).

I started a new account from scratch and I've found that once I hit level 2 the extras that you can buy with XP have just a minor effect on my effectiveness because all the noobies haven't figured out the game yet.

I'm sure the answer is no, but I figured Id ask anyway, spending the 250 free gold you get from the facebook app doesn't make you a VIP right? Would be awesome if it did :) Im waiting on a good daily special I want to come up before I spend it, but Ill buy something stupid with it right now if it got me the VIP, which again Im sure it wont.

I heard somewhere you need to spend 10 bucks to get it anyway. Oh well one day in the distant future when I have some money to spare, if I havent already unlocked everything I want, Ill drop some bucks on it. This and TF2 are the only shooters to really hold my interest in a long time.

Well badges are the only other way to increase XP besides winning and placing high on the scoreboard, so if you are not counting on that then you really have no reason to care how long matches are. Good players are probably going to be at the top of the scoreboard from 3 minutes into the match right to the end, they will do the same accross matches. The only exception would be if you are some player that has a certain role that does not materialize till later say somone who sucks and takes a long time to get enough credits to buy a shrike, but once you get int he shrike you quickly climb the scoreboard. But those are special cases and not good general advice.

I'm sure the answer is no, but I figured Id ask anyway, spending the 250 free gold you get from the facebook app doesn't make you a VIP right? Would be awesome if it did :) Im waiting on a good daily special I want to come up before I spend it, but Ill buy something stupid with it right now if it got me the VIP, which again Im sure it wont.

No, spending the free 250g you get from facebook doesn't get you VIP status.

I heard somewhere you need to spend 10 bucks to get it anyway. Oh well one day in the distant future when I have some money to spare, if I havent already unlocked everything I want, Ill drop some bucks on it. This and TF2 are the only shooters to really hold my interest in a long time.

The 5 dollar deal on Steam should get you VIP. TA: Starter Pack under flash deals. Only up for another 20 minutes.

And OK Rudy, you totally win. You're 100% right, and I am totally wrong. So go for badges and end matches as quickly as possible for XP.

You should play the game to have fun not for max xp grindage. FPS =/ MMO :) Tho there are some expensive things I want...

I prefer longer games as they are more fun, when you have 2 near-even teams duking it out all kinds of cool stuff happens, you get more vehicle action, ect..

Last night we had a long 16v16 match, it was great, good to see groups working together to cap and chase down fc's.

Once I get better I want to join some form of organized play as tribes with vent/ts and an organized team is epic win.

Last edited:
I am really starting to enjoy the nuances of this game, particularly once you have begun to master some of the steep learning curves. It really puts into perspective how little skill is required to play shooters like CoD and BF3 which tend to degenerate into camp fests. Nothing more satisfying than being ambushed, turning around, and smacking your enemy in the face with a spinfuser disc mid air!

I play a Brute with The Gladiator (P) / The Hammer (S) and just love this setup. There's nothing more satisfying than having an opponent catch me nades. :D

Would you guys be interested in setting up a [H] game this weekend?

I am really starting to enjoy the nuances of this game, particularly once you have begun to master some of the steep learning curves. It really puts into perspective how little skill is required to play shooters like CoD and BF3 which tend to degenerate into camp fests. Nothing more satisfying than being ambushed, turning around, and smacking your enemy in the face with a spinfuser disc mid air!
Yes! I am amazed at my mid-air shots sometimes. It's fun having 2 or 3 guys chase you, only to kill all or most of them and having the last one run away.
I play a Brute with The Gladiator (P) / The Hammer (S) and just love this setup. There's nothing more satisfying than having an opponent catch me nades. :D

Would you guys be interested in setting up a [H] game this weekend?
I need to start playing this more and I would love to get into a game with you guys but I'm not totally sure how much free time I'll have this weekend. Remind me this weekend Ben (I'm Sequence on Steam) and I'll see about joining up.

Just an FYI, there's some sort of Raider pack on Steam right now that comes with the Raider class and a bunch of weapons for $7.49. Not sure if it's worth it or not but apparently it's "50% off".

Back