Thermaltake Tower 900 Vertical Super Tower Chassis Review @ [H]

very interesting, however still smaller than my mountainmods extended ascension case.

but the price point is very aggressive.

Hey Now!!! I resemble that statement!!!

I'm an air cooling junkie. Thanks to Thermaltake and an early water cooler that turned me off of them ironically.

I was the opposite. Heavy copper heatsinks got me moving towards water cooling. It wasn't the size, cause they weren't bigger than some of these aluminium ones. It was the weight that would bend my mobo.

Awesome looking case, but I'm surprised you can't use a dual fan AiO cooler for the CPU. More and more people are using them including myself, why would they cut off that portion of users?

That's a pretty neat case. Seems like it wastes a lot of space in that aft compartment, though. Looks like there's tons of room for more drives or something in there.

Also, I kinda wish they'd made the rad compartment visible somehow. You have to do all this work to assemble this, and then the radiators, which make up a significant portion of the cooling loop, get hidden away in the back. In my Core P5, the radiator takes up like a quarter of the visible front of it, and lets you get your money's worth out of your spiffy LED-lit fans.

I guess if you're the type to use those ugly Noctua fans, aesthetic appeal be damned, maybe the hidden rad compartment is a blessing, though.

It should be obvious by now that this chassis can easily handle 3-way SLI set-ups, multiple hard drives, dual radiator set ups and or large HSFs with plenty of room to spare. In fact, Thermaltake even suggest running a dual loop system with separate liquid cooling loops for your CPU and GPUs.

This mentality is exactly why i <3 Thermaltake.

Buncha non-compromising bastards who ain't afraid of the dweeb calls of "over-engineering" and the like.

Love it.

I love this case! Price isn't that bad. Definitely running a dual loop if I decide to pick it up down the road.

Awesome looking case, but I'm surprised you can't use a dual fan AiO cooler for the CPU. More and more people are using them including myself, why would they cut off that portion of users?

Actually you can, I pre ordered the cased and received it a number of days ago. The review here is incorrect in stating your out of luck with Corsair H110i GT AIO CPU cooler. Inside the case you have a motherboard plate and just below it a small plate with 3 cable manage holes. This entire plate spans the case and can be removed. Then AIO can be attached in the rear side of the case (left side for the tubing to reach the CPU properly) I can't be sure this will work for all of these but it does for the Corsair H110i GT This was for a temp solution until I can spend the money on cooling loops but you work with what you have.

Actually you can, I pre ordered the cased and received it a number of days ago. The review here is incorrect in stating your out of luck with Corsair H110i GT AIO CPU cooler. Inside the case you have a motherboard plate and just below it a small plate with 3 cable manage holes. This entire plate spans the case and can be removed. Then AIO can be attached in the rear side of the case (left side for the tubing to reach the CPU properly) I can't be sure this will work for all of these but it does for the Corsair H110i GT This was for a temp solution until I can spend the money on cooling loops but you work with what you have.
Could you please take a photo of that arrangement and post it here? Maybe a few at different angles to show how the coolant lines pass through too?

Awesome, would a 280mm AiO fit there as well?

Could you please take a photo of that arrangement and post it here? Maybe a few at different angles to show how the coolant lines pass through too?

I can't right now, at least anything that is meaningful, suffering from a toothache so not feeling like it as it will take help to move some things around.

Awesome, would a 280mm AiO fit there as well?

As to that it will depend on the AIO tube length so I cannot say...but the Corsair H110i GT attaches to rear big fan/radiator vent spots feeding through the bottom plate being detached as I said. While the review is correct and incorrect at the same time as you would need some very precise measurements, I will try to get the measurements and some pictures in a few days but as I said suffering from a toothache so not a priority.

Ha, a friend of mine won one of these at PDXLAN recently. I have no idea what he is going to do with it as he doesn't water cool and he attends a lot of LANs, so it's not really ideal to carry around with you.

He can strap it to a folding dolly and leave it that way. So easy to take to/from lan parties. Although, loading/unloading from your car would suck.

The case is entirely designed around custom watercooling loops, not AIO solutions.

Wrong

It was design to have Air cooling/AIO/Custom water cooling, also every PC case on the market, I have not found one case that support only Custom water cooling.

Wrong

It was design to have Air cooling/AIO/Custom water cooling, also every PC case on the market, I have not found one case that support only Custom water cooling.

Wrong?

Look a the review this thread is discussing, it was specifically stated that dual fan AIO coolers could not do so in this case. See https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/04/thermaltake_tower_900_vertical_super_chassis_review/5

Those of you with plans on internally mounting a dual fan all-in-one cooler like the Corsair Hydro H100, H110, H105 or the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme in the Thermaltake Tower 900 are simply out of luck. The only place to mount dual fan radiators is in the rear compartment of the chassis leaving no way for the water block to reach the CPU socket.

Wrong

Sigh...it was designed AROUND custom water cooling. That doesn't mean you can't USE air or a AIO with extra long-hoses. It means the manufacturer placed mounts and added features with the specific intent of the user using custom watercooling. It does not mean they designed it so that no other cooling method was possible.

Wrong?

Look a the review this thread is discussing, it was specifically stated that dual fan AIO coolers could not do so in this case. See https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/04/thermaltake_tower_900_vertical_super_chassis_review/5

Am I wrong?

Tower 900 rear mounted AIO
http://community.thermaltake.com/index.php?/topic/63599-tower-900-rear-mounted-aio/

It was said also,

The Tower 900 has the capability to deliver excellent cooling efficiency, and enables users to build extreme air/liquid cooling systems with high-end, large graphics cards, treated by DIY/AIO liquid-cooling systems and air-cooling units. Supporting up to dual 560mm liquid cooling radiators or a 360mm AIO liquid cooler, cooling possibilities just got real. Most uniquely, the right side and left side of the case are designed with various mounting points for radiators to provide proper space and placement when building DIY/AIO configurations.
Thermaltake-The-Tower-900-Snow-Edition-E-ATX-Vertical-Super-Tower-Chassis-Support-360mm-AIO.png

Last edited:
Am I wrong?

Tower 900 rear mounted AIO
http://community.thermaltake.com/index.php?/topic/63599-tower-900-rear-mounted-aio/

It was said also,

The Tower 900 has the capability to deliver excellent cooling efficiency, and enables users to build extreme air/liquid cooling systems with high-end, large graphics cards, treated by DIY/AIO liquid-cooling systems and air-cooling units. Supporting up to dual 560mm liquid cooling radiators or a 360mm AIO liquid cooler, cooling possibilities just got real. Most uniquely, the right side and left side of the case are designed with various mounting points for radiators to provide proper space and placement when building DIY/AIO configurations.
View attachment 42442
Well once you start modding the case all bets are off, so that first link doesn't really prove much. It is not designed to have rear mounted AIO cooling if you have to cut up the case.

The second setup is interesting though, I don't recall seeing such a configuration before. Looks like it came from their press release. Kind of sucks dumping all that hot air into the case, and right into the graphics cards, but it should technically work and qualify as supporting most AIO coolers. You should see if Kyle wants to update his review with that information.

Well once you start modding the case all bets are off, so that first link doesn't really prove much. It is not designed to have rear mounted AIO cooling if you have to cut up the case.

The second setup is interesting though, I don't recall seeing such a configuration before. Looks like it came from their press release. Kind of sucks dumping all that hot air into the case, and right into the graphics cards, but it should technically work and qualify as supporting most AIO coolers. You should see if Kyle wants to update his review with that information.

I agree on what you said about the hot air but you can cut an hole at the top and put another small fan in or leave it open the case was design for DIY if you wish http://casemod.thermaltake.com/2017s1/

IMO I plan to mod the bottom to add more fans in and cut an hole in the top say a 120mm I am not wasting my time on custom loop it will be all Air cooling only maybe in future I will add a AIO but that's it.

Last edited:
I agree on what you said about the hot air but you can cut an hole at the top and put another small fan in or leave it open the case was design for DIY if you wish http://casemod.thermaltake.com/2017s1/

IMO I plan to mod the bottom to add more fans in and cut an hole in the top say a 120mm I am not wasting my time on custom loop it will be all Air cooling only maybe in future I will add a AIO but that's it.
Why would you choose such a massive case if you're willing to mod AND are only interested in air cooling and possibly an AIO later?!

Why would you choose such a massive case if you're willing to mod AND are only interested in air cooling and possibly an AIO later?!

It's not a "massive case" where did you get that imagination from! in the retro years it was bigger then now if the 900 was massive I would never brought one

It's not a "massive case" where did you get that imagination from! in the retro years it was bigger then now if the 900 was massive I would never brought one
okay, you're apparently delusional.

I've been modding for just under 20 years. I friggin wrote an Anthropology paper on it back in like 01 or 02? This case is huge. No, it's not the biggest case out there, but it's still flipping huge. I could put 3-4 mid-towers in the same physical cube shaped space. That's freaking huge.

okay, you're apparently delusional.

I've been modding for just under 20 years. I friggin wrote an Anthropology paper on it back in like 01 or 02? This case is huge. No, it's not the biggest case out there, but it's still flipping huge. I could put 3-4 mid-towers in the same physical cube shaped space. That's freaking huge.

I will call it big not huge or massive I don't use any mid towers because they are too small and they shouldn't be under the tower class in the first place. they should change the name to "small towers" because that is what they are for the beginners

Compared to other "massive" towers - specifically the NZXT H640 since I've got one and it crosses into "massive" territory in my book and is even classified as an "Ultra Tower" rather than a puny "Full Tower" the TT 900 is 73% (178mm) wider, and 37% taller (205mm) than the H640. I guess if you only look at depth the H640 is more massive since it's a full 17% deeper (84mm) than the TT900... Whether you want to admit it or not, the thing is HUGE. YUUUGE even. And I really don't understand what you need all that space for with an aio (let alone an air cooler).

**EDIT TO ADD***
Just for shits and giggles, the TT 900 has just over twice the volume of the H640 (153.6L vs 75.9L).

Comparing volume it's just a hair smaller (153.6L vs 158.1L) than the Caselabs STH10, which is another MASSIVE case.

Last edited:
I will call it big not huge or massive I don't use any mid towers because they are too small and they shouldn't be under the tower class in the first place. they should change the name to "small towers" because that is what they are for the beginners
It is massive.

It is massive.

I remember when the first GTX 470 cards was 9.5" (241mm) long it all started saying it's is massive, Huge, My god Now we are doing the same thing on Tower cases, so people will just class anything that is bigger then they are used too it will never stop because everyone opinion on what is MASSIVE and what Big or small will never change.

Compared to other "massive" towers - specifically the NZXT H640 since I've got one and it crosses into "massive" territory in my book and is even classified as an "Ultra Tower" rather than a puny "Full Tower" the TT 900 is 73% (178mm) wider, and 37% taller (205mm) than the H640. I guess if you only look at depth the H640 is more massive since it's a full 17% deeper (84mm) than the TT900... Whether you want to admit it or not, the thing is HUGE. YUUUGE even. And I really don't understand what you need all that space for with an aio (let alone an air cooler).

**EDIT TO ADD***
Just for shits and giggles, the TT 900 has just over twice the volume of the H640 (153.6L vs 75.9L).

Comparing volume it's just a hair smaller (153.6L vs 158.1L) than the Caselabs STH10, which is another MASSIVE case.

Now we are comparing two different cases? by two different Companies there is no 'vs' or 'compare' in this argument because they are both different in size if you find at tower case the same size of the 900 then it would be in a fair opinion as we all have different opinions no one is a winner or loser

Again What is MASSIVE? what is HUGE? what is MEDIUM? what is BIG? what is SMALL? the answer to everyone it is just in there own opinion.

I can never understand why anyone would buy the NZXT or Phanteks same design as the old retro years computer cases but that is in my opinion.

Last edited:
Now we are comparing two different cases?

Comparing two cases? That's how you compare cases. That's sort of a thing we do. It's a thing you do, too.

Okay, if this case isn't "Massive" then... what pre-made computer case do you consider to be "Massive"?

Comparing two cases? That's how you compare cases. That's sort of a thing we do. It's a thing you do, too.

Okay, if this case isn't "Massive" then... what pre-made computer case do you consider to be "Massive"?

I am not comparing any case, they is no point to that unless both are the same size there is no need to start any argument over the matter.

if you take Thermaltake W100, W200, X71, TT 900, most of the reviews say they are the super towers just like the Corsair 900D & Phanteks Enthoo Elite if you think we all should be in the mid class of towers sitting on our desktop thing again why are manufacturers still making the super towers? and why to the people still want to buy them, it's the same for LED TV's some people buy 42 - 52" some buy bigger the world is like this the same for Cars and SUV people often don't think small is better anymore unless you are on a tight budget just like computers some pay thousands and others pay hundreds same for houses people like to buy bigger and some like to buy smaller everyone is different in life.

You ask me a question on Massive here you answers but you will not agree with me but its IMO

078872ef86919827558cabbuild.jpg

I am not comparing any case, they is no point to that unless both are the same size there is no need to start any argument over the matter.

if you take Thermaltake W100, W200, X71, TT 900, most of the reviews say they are the super towers just like the Corsair 900D & Phanteks Enthoo Elite if you think we all should be in the mid class of towers sitting on our desktop thing again why are manufacturers still making the super towers? and why to the people still want to buy them, it's the same for LED TV's some people buy 42 - 52" some buy bigger the world is like this the same for Cars and SUV people often don't think small is better anymore unless you are on a tight budget just like computers some pay thousands and others pay hundreds same for houses people like to buy bigger and some like to buy smaller everyone is different in life.

You ask me a question on Massive here you answers but you will not agree with me but its IMO

View attachment 44582

Try staying on topic.

1) Nobody said anything about not needing big cases. Except you. So, knock it the fuck off.

2) "No comparing cases unless they're the same size" ... what? WTF is that supposed to mean?

3) No, people pay *more* to get small computers that are full powered beasts, instead of a PC in a big tower. Go look in the ITX forum.

4) Hey man, if we can't compare cases, you can't compare Cars and SUVs. That's just cheating!

5) As for the bizarre monstrosity of a thing you posted..... you realize the TT 900 actually will have more internal volume than that skyscraper of a tower, right? Yes that's taller, but the 900 is more than twice as wide as that thing is. Soooo... it's bigger than this thing.

1. what bad language

2. What is the point explaining it if you don't understand it?

3. Again I am not comparing anything all I said was "some buy bigger the world is like this the same for Cars and SUV people often don't think small is better anymore" how is that comparing?

4. who give a crap about 'internal volume' I don't

5. call the tower 900 what ever you like it sound like you are Jealous in someway because you keep on about it

6. If you are not happy of the way I make a Thread then don't reply But I think you like to cause an argument because it make you happy or BIG for you image

7. Hey man? what word or slang word is this? I not am American.

8. In fact I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about the TT 900 you never change my mind, I buy what I want.

9. And I am not into all this custom watering what a waste of money have to change everything in 6 months long live Air

10 . I will only stay on topic if you will.

Bye

Last edited:
1. what bad language

2. What is the point explaining it if you don't understand it?

3. Again I am not comparing anything all I said was "some buy bigger the world is like this the same for Cars and SUV people often don't think small is better anymore" how is that comparing?

4. who give a crap about 'internal volume' I don't

5. call the tower 900 what ever you like it sound like you are Jealous in someway because you keep on about it

6. If you are not happy of the way I make a Thread then don't reply But I think you like to cause an argument because it make you happy or BIG for you image

7. Hey man? what word or slang word is this? I not am American.

8. In fact I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about the TT 900 you never change my mind, I buy what I want.

9. And I am not into all this custom watering what a waste of money have to change everything in 6 months long live Air

10 . I will only stay on topic if you will.

Bye

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

Not sure if it's trolling or a language barrier at play here, but my head hurts now.

Anyhow, I'm sure we can all agree it's bigger than a midtower and not everyone's cup of tea.

Aorus needs to go. Nothing worse than a noobie with a mouth.

That giant thing you posted is not a single case.

Here's mine..

2 thick 60mm ek 120.3 rads in the back hidden with 3 fans as in push and 2 120mm fans blowing the heat out the back and 1 120mm fan blowing out the top.

I added 2 120mm gt fans blowing up the motherboard and 140mm in the center.

Custom pump/res stands made out of black lubic.. massive throw back there!

Temps are all great. 34c max on the evga 1080ti ftw3 elite on load.. 20c idle. 72f abundant. Cpu is mighty happy as well.

Rgb lighting in this is awesome. I personally like to do half and half in Rainbow mode. Ea tuning different colors not shown in here.

Here's mine..

2 thick 60mm ek 120.3 rads in the back hidden with 3 fans as in push and 2 120mm fans blowing the heat out the back and 1 120mm fan blowing out the top.

I added 2 120mm gt fans blowing up the motherboard and 140mm in the center.

Custom pump/res stands made out of black lubic.. massive throw back there!

Temps are all great. 34c max on the evga 1080ti ftw3 elite on load.. 20c idle. 72f abundant. Cpu is mighty happy as well.

Rgb lighting in this is awesome. I personally like to do half and half in Rainbow mode. Ea tuning different colors not shown in here.

Very nice setup I would have gone for this way but having to clean it out every 6 months put me off Custom water cooling but if it was to change then I will change my mind in future,

So I went for this way Air only
_MG_4891 (2).jpg

in the dark

_MG_4978 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back