The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Downgrade or not, this game really looks amazing imo. Tweaked my config a little to go beyond ultra settings.

By no means is this game perfect, and there are a number of issues ranging from annoying to just wtf. Despite this, the game is phenomenal. I've put over 32 hours into it at this point, and have barely scratched the surface.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7755/17477614104_eabf60f4e7_o.png

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7777/18100133455_e3a18f93fb_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8788/18073664556_e1855c6c97_o.png

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7761/18096754752_f35b2a58ca_o.png

Those are without SweetFX. Experimenting with that now.

I know screen shots don't look as good as the game, and it is open world, but I think the vegetation in Witcher 2 looked better. I recently played it. Still have it installed to. Might load up it just to compare. :p

Loving the graphics in 1.04. And CDPR choosing to release patches as they're ready rather than taking the more PR 'safe' route of holding back PC updates for the slowest common denominator (Sony & Microsoft consoles and their lengthy certification process) is something to be commended.

They're between a rock and a hard place, since firing these PC patches out and in turn the patch news hitting the gaming sites has led to a lot of venom coming from console players bitching that "CDPR doesn't care about consoles" blah blah, when in reality the patches are stuck in cert quarantine.

Thank god EA isn't the publisher or they *would* be holding back PC patches.

You can be the sweetest peach in the world, and someone will still not like peaches.

I've been playing the Witcher 3 on the PS4.

The game is very playable. So I don't see it mandatory that they address minor issues first.

The first Witcher in the series was PC exclusive, so I don't see why they wouldn't patch you guys first.
Especially since there seems to be more glitches, bugs,graphical fixes needed on the PC than on consoles.

If they never patch TW3 on the PS4, I'll still be completely in favor of the game.

I think us console players can certainly wait for a patch.

Btw, two dlcs coming this week!

Last edited:
So finally got to play it. This game is amazing. Glad I bought it.

It's interesting that being locked at 30FPS seems smoother than locked at 60... Didn't matter if SLI was enabled or not, 30 seems smoother. I recall someone else saying this 20-30 pages back.

Been going hard at it through this game. Been attempting all the side quests (only failed to save Lena in White Orchid) and some storyline got over 40 hours in the game and I've only gotten up to the stage of meeting up with Triss in Novigrad. Fucking love this game.

The choice dialogue decisions and cut scenes really draws you in and be part of the game, something Skyrim didn't have from making it perfect. Do kind of miss raiding dungeons though but meh still have Skyrim on the other hand to play through.

Can definitely see myself finishing up everything at over 100 hours. Taking my sweet time like I did with the first Witcher, kind of rushed TW2 with a trainer though. Been so drawn in, started reading the novels again just before bed. Ha.

Been going hard at it through this game. Been attempting all the side quests (only failed to save Lena in White Orchid) and some storyline got over 40 hours in the game and I've only gotten up to the stage of meeting up with Triss in Novigrad. Fucking love this game.

The choice dialogue decisions and cut scenes really draws you in and be part of the game, something Skyrim didn't have from making it perfect. Do kind of miss raiding dungeons though but meh still have Skyrim on the other hand to play through.

Can definitely see myself finishing up everything at over 100 hours. Taking my sweet time like I did with the first Witcher, kind of rushed TW2 with a trainer though. Been so drawn in, started reading the novels again just before bed. Ha.

The best part of dialogue is the facial reactions and the body language. It's excellent.

Indeed it is.

There are some minor issues and glitches in the game (no big deal) but also happy that CDPR's released DRM free patches (4 so far) to fix issues and add improvements.

Will probably buy the game again when the Enhanced Edition comes out.

What I love in this game, is total lack of those idiotic fetch quests, like in DA:I. Even smallest subquests, that are found by reading documents or by some NPCs are fun. Like the one with wagon on swamps and merchant who asks you to bring him "little chest". Lots of some simple detective work that end with a moral choice...

Also it stayed true to books and Geralt. You get in trouble just when you want to just leave, or even if you try, as true witcher, be neutral and just ride through, you are forced to take a stand. And tthose decisions, not like in DA:I have consequences. Even the smallest like if you will bow to Emrys or not.

Graphics is beautiful... the godrays through the trees, the wind, shaking branches, fields ripe for harvest, almost heaven. But then you see secrets behind it all... like the connecting dots between the ghost in the well and the hunter and the baron's son.

And to those who say, that there is no character creation - well, it can't be. After all, everyone knows, how Geralt looks and you are not unnamed hero. After all, you are not a hero at all. You do not ride into village, to save it from monster and then ride away to sunset. You just come there, haggle about the price of monster killing, then kill the beast, take money, slay those who try to cheat you, or beat you for being "mutant" and shag local beauty. Then you can go away :)

do you guys get a weird systemwide stuttering in borderless mode?

Yes... when I had to reinstall few things and it auto-set to borderless, it was less fluent than on full screen. Luckily fixed that and gone back to full screen. I hate borderless gaming.

So finally got to play it. This game is amazing. Glad I bought it.

It's interesting that being locked at 30FPS seems smoother than locked at 60... Didn't matter if SLI was enabled or not, 30 seems smoother. I recall someone else saying this 20-30 pages back.

I gave this a try for a few hours and personally I couldn't do it. I might try again after dropping my refresh rate into a multiple (i.e. use 120 instead of 144) if that has anything to do with it.

I gave this a try for a few hours and personally I couldn't do it. I might try again after dropping my refresh rate into a multiple (i.e. use 120 instead of 144) if that has anything to do with it.

I'm usually a refresh rate/FPS snob, but 30 feels fine to me with this particular game. I can manage 45-55 single card, but it does not feel as smooth.

Yeah, I can't do do the 30 fps limit. It just doesn't feel as smooth to me as setting it to 60.

Nvidia updated their guide with the new mipmap settings:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-tweaking-guide#mipmap-bias-config-file-tweak

What we can't adequately demonstrate in images or compressed video is the aforementioned shimmering, which is truly egregious as the bias is reduced below the default values. At 3840x2160, "-2.0" was just about OK, but at 1920x1080 it was an eyesore. Dropping down to "-1.0" was better at 1920x1080, but still a bit too shimmery for our tastes. In contrast, "-0.4" offered little in the way of improvement. In the end, we settled on "-1.0" for 3840x2160, and "-0.7" for 1920x1080, though your opinion may differ, especially if you're using sharpness filters or injected anti-aliasing.

Default is -1.0 for Ulra textures.
They suggest -1 for 4K, -0.7 for 1080p.

I'm not sure how much I'm into the concept of "failing" a quest...I was supposed to protect some guy from ghouls, yet I had no idea who he was or who I was supposed to be protecting (there were several NPCs to "protect"), but when I went back to turn in the quest, I had to say the guy died and then I got nothing. Wtf? It should be really fucking clear who I'm supposed to be protecting if you can just fail and get no rewards.

Failed that protect part also. I didn't know who to protect so I just kept fighting all the ghouls. I was a bit low level and my equipment wasn't all that great either when I reached the area so it would have been difficult at the time.

If you have Axii delusion level 1 you can still get the pass and not tell the guy his brother is dead :)
I am loving the game. It is so well written I binge played it these past 3 days and am in Skellige. I like this area much better than Novigrad. And all areas are just gigantic. The world feels much bigger than DA:I and Skyrim. Funny thing is I don't want to fight things unless necessary, cause I want someone to offer me money to take of it first. :D The monster contracts you'd think was just optional things, but I want to do them all because they are the best resource to get the better equipment from, not to mention decent experience and fun fights. Even though the sword fighting I think isn't that great, I like that you really need to depend on the spells and oils to make life easier:
I hated the wraiths they were a pain, but you can kill them so much faster inside a yarden trap circle. And when you run into a Lesser Vampire, they are a pain in the rear also. If you don't keep quen up all the time, every hit on you heals it. The best spell is the Quen active shield, It can be used to convert damage you would have taken to health.

BTW... there are 36 different endings, based on so many decisions, that no way for "save/load" at end fight to get them all. Got to play the game for 36 times :)

I'm not sure how much I'm into the concept of "failing" a quest...I was supposed to protect some guy from ghouls, yet I had no idea who he was or who I was supposed to be protecting (there were several NPCs to "protect"), but when I went back to turn in the quest, I had to say the guy died and then I got nothing. Wtf? It should be really fucking clear who I'm supposed to be protecting if you can just fail and get no rewards.

You're protecting the guy you talked to, Albin Hart (the one who likes like a regular bandit). If he dies, you did it wrong, probably because your level wasn't high enough to kill all the ghouls efficiently enough. If at least one scavenger survives you still get a reward, so what's to be mad about? You can't do everything.

Yeah I let his ass die apparently as well. I had all 3 ghouls (they come in waves of 3) on me at all times, basically killing them each in 4-5 blows, and he still dies somehow. Fuck it. There is more than one way to get access to something. ;)

You protect the guy you get the quest from to help stop those things. He wears red and he's the one that "motions" for your help when you go near him.

the excitement from gameplay in witcher 3 is out-fucking-standing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDo9L0oWtZk

all joking aside i really like the game

The most epic. Had to watch twice.

2014%2B-%2B1

Nice DF, you've opened the flood gates for this guy to talk about more useless crap. I hope you're happy.

And people still give me shit for comparing it to Skyrim, eh.

Trololol video of a monster that glitched and got stuck on an object an couldn't move. Hardly a compelling case for Witcher 3 being like Skyrim.

FWIW, and maybe I've been lucky but never seen that happen in 36 hours of gameplay. I've juked drowners by getting them caught up in trees but they broke free anyway.

Last edited:
Trololol. Pointless video of a monster that glitched and got stuck on an object an couldn't move. Yeah that totally means Witcher 3 is the same as Skyrim.

FWIW, and maybe I've been lucky but never seen that happen in 36 hours of gameplay. I've juked drowners by getting them caught up in trees but they broke free anyway.

I can assure you it was NOT stuck on geometry, in both cases of that video.

I can assure you it was NOT stuck on geometry, in both cases of that video.

Well whatever the case is, it looks bugged. If it were me I'd send the link to the developer so they can analyze/fix.

Well whatever the case is, it looks bugged. If it were me I'd send the link to the developer so they can analyze/fix.

It's not actually stuck on the geometry, but it is hemmed in by the terrain and by the player's interrupts/quen stun. In a complex game stuff like this, that is, exploits, happen. Being too defensive in coding against it can actually make expected behavior worse than in the marginal case. That said, the large and slow enemies will always be easier for a human to deal with and exploit than the numerous, fast enemies which are more taxing on human reaction time and overall processing capability.

Yeah I let his ass die apparently as well. I had all 3 ghouls (they come in waves of 3) on me at all times, basically killing them each in 4-5 blows, and he still dies somehow. Fuck it. There is more than one way to get access to something. ;)

not gotten to this section yet, but a similar encounter you can use the alternate hex

Trololol video of a monster that glitched and got stuck on an object an couldn't move. Hardly a compelling case for Witcher 3 being like Skyrim.

Or Skyrim being HORRIBLE compared to it, but I digress. ;)

I've seen these kinds of issues in all varieties of games as well, but it usually can be fixed by reloading the save, or waiting for the enemy to attack you. Sometimes...it's just a stupid bug and can't be fixed by the player.

Or Skyrim being HORRIBLE compared to it, but I digress. ;)

I've seen these kinds of issues in all varieties of games as well, but it usually can be fixed by reloading the save, or waiting for the enemy to attack you. Sometimes...it's just a stupid bug and can't be fixed by the player.

Yep, I've had a high-level Wraith just stand still and never attack. Only happened once so far, though.

And I don't know how anyone can compare this game to Skyrim.

Skyrim has horrible writing, boring filler quests, zero choice & consequence, copy/pasted dungeons, button-mashing combat at every difficulty and every town feels like it's abandoned.

Back