The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

My god I am at a loss of words to even express just how beautiful this game is, in game play, graphics and sounds (had music turned off last few hours amazing sound). Have a little over 31 hours into it so far (10 of those just in the prologue area lol), Playing it on Death March. I knew this game would be good real good. But this is something I did not expect, the last 2 games that sucked me in like this were Dues Ex (the original) and Mass Effect 1, and I have a felling this game will Top those on my list easy, they say we have 200 hours worth of game play in this, pretty sure I will get much more than that lol.

Just had to give my 2 cents on the game, seen many people complain about the graphics or the key binding, think there were a few other things some folk did not like. Aside from the Key binds, which I am sure they will have fixed in no time (think the patch today did just that?). To any one that is holding off on getting this game for what ever reason. Do your self a favor and get it now. This is one of those amazing games that only shows up every 5+ years or so, and that is before any one really starts to mod it!

I got to the isles and was to attend some sort of dinner.

On the way to the party, I saw a new barber. So I shaved and changed my hairstyle.

First cut scene at the dinner party I was asked " Geralt, why did you grow your beard out?" lol wtf?

There are some bugs with toggle on/off on the witcher. The 3 different versions of SweetFX I have used worked for me though. MasterEffect has no issues as far as I know, but actually has a performance hit with better visuals.

Try this preset and follow instructions.

The second of those shots looks fucking awful. IMO.

Does "default" mean "no SweetFX" or "default SweetFX settings"? Because it still looks a bit heavy on the contrast. Infinitely better than the "preset" version, either way.

I always use presets as a starting point.
Find something you generally like, and then disable/tweak the ugly shit.

So do they encompass the latest patches? So straight to patch 1.04 for a new install?

So do they encompass the latest patches? So straight to patch 1.04 for a new install?
I'm assuming not. At least not until they release the "Enhanced Edition" like they did with the previous Witcher games. This is based on what I see in my GoG folder.
Patch 1.02 (required to play)
Patch 1.03 (1.02 -> 1.03)
Patch 1.04 (1.03 -> 1.04)

I'm assuming not. At least not until they release the "Enhanced Edition" like they did with the previous Witcher games. This is based on what I see in my GoG folder.
Patch 1.02 (required to play)
Patch 1.03 (1.02 -> 1.03)
Patch 1.04 (1.03 -> 1.04)

Aha, very interesting. Thanks!

You need to download them under your games library in GOG.

But you should just use GOG Galaxy. You don't even have to launch the game through GOG Galaxy, but at the every least it automatically updates the game for you.

The GOG client had a problem with the 1.03 update, I had to manually download that and stop the client, running the game directly. 1.04 installed flawlessly from the client. I also noticed it fixed the mutagen sort for the character screen, so there may be other stuff.

While playing today it became dark because it was starting to rain. Then shadows started rolling over the ground like they would from clouds. Wow, the stuff they put into this game continues to amaze me.

Ok am I missing something? I cannot for the life of me, find all the patch links on the Project CD Red website?

I can't find it anywhere? Where are you guys downloading all these?

http://en.cdprojektred.com/download/

Did you buy a GOG code? If so, through your GOG account.

Makes sense they don't post the patches publicly. Just because they made the game DRM free doesn't mean they're obligated to spoofeed the people that pirate this masterpiece.

Last edited:
Did you buy a GOG code? If so, through your GOG account.

Not surprised they don't post them publicly. Just because they made the game DRM free doesn't mean they have to spoofeed the scumbag pirates that steal this masterpiece.

No I just purchased the boxed retail version at Best Buy. Haven't had a chance to install yet.

AFAIK retail is a GOG code, so if I were you I'd install the Galaxy client and make life easy.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3712/ I'm liking his preset a bit better. more realistic. 1.4B or 1.3 (darker night/shadow) in optional. The 1.4A is too blue.

I just tried 1.4B and...looks like crap IMO. The sharpening is good but it completely washes out all of the colors. Can't even tell when it's dawn/dusk/etc because everything just looks bleak like vanilla Skyrim.

Maybe they tweaked something in 1.04 (didn't try it before then) but vanilla looks way better.

wow the patch 1.04 is night and day difference. When I played last I was in this brick room with the Blood Baron, and i was telling myself "man I love this game but these bricks look fucking pathetic, almost like they threw the skin on there to finish quickly".

Loaded up my save after the patch, and why the bricks still don't look/feel fluid? They LOOK texture wise 10x better. Really shocked, I havent even looked outside yet....Just had to come on here and mention how much better the patch 1.04 really is!

It still a great game, other then some minor bitches (really no easy sorting for the crafting mats).

Anyway back to the game.

Was hesitant to pick this up after reading through all the comments, but after playing around with it this afternoon I have to say I am very impressed! I used the Nvidia Geforce tweak guide, and have all all the details pretty much maxed save for FSAA, chromatic aberation, depth of field, and foilage, grass density set to medium. I am then using FXAA forced using the Nvidia Control panel. Game run's around 50-53 FPS on my SLI 670 / 3930 K at 4.7 Ghz system at 2560 x 1440, and looks beautiful. I was really wondering how it would stack up to Inquisition after reading all the complaints about the graphics, but after playing the two games the environments seem so much more alive in Witcher 3. I have to wonder if I am playing the same game as those complaining the game has been consolized. Controls seem much improved over Witcher 2 as well. All in all, I can see myself wasting a good chunk of time with this! :)

After running all over velen and playing/buying innkeepers/merchants and grabbing notice boards along the way, i finally can play as three factions. Norther realm, milfgaard, and scoiatel.

I think northern realm is strongest still but i like how milfgaard looks with all the heroes and being black just that the other units aren't very special. Scoiatel is definitely weakest though. Monsters is not even close to done.

After running all over velen and playing/buying innkeepers/merchants and grabbing notice boards along the way, i finally can play as three factions. Norther realm, milfgaard, and scoiatel.

I think northern realm is strongest still but i like how milfgaard looks with all the heroes and being black just that the other units aren't very special. Scoiatel is definitely weakest though. Monsters is not even close to done.

Milfgaard lol

Downgrade or not, this game really looks amazing imo. Tweaked my config a little to go beyond ultra settings.

By no means is this game perfect, and there are a number of issues ranging from annoying to just wtf. Despite this, the game is phenomenal. I've put over 32 hours into it at this point, and have barely scratched the surface.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7755/17477614104_eabf60f4e7_o.png

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7777/18100133455_e3a18f93fb_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8788/18073664556_e1855c6c97_o.png

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7761/18096754752_f35b2a58ca_o.png

Those are without SweetFX. Experimenting with that now.

So did I just run into another bugged uest?

In Velen I came across this little house with peoplehiding in it.

I gave them some food and in return I got a book caleld "In Beasts Clothing" and alos it said I received a doll, but the doll doesn't show up in my inventory.

After this I get no quest pop up or completed, nothing in my journel about a quest and now the marker is gone.

For the love of GOD turn off the sharpening.
It puts thick black lines over the grass and leaves. Just terrible.

Sorry if you like it and I offended you.

I think the problem with the quests are that when you accept missions you may automatically trigger events when hit some trigger in the middle of the quest. I hope they can fix this so that only the active quest can trigger locked doors and red signs

I found it very hard to even get interested in the story in DA:I, but in TW3 I've been so sucked into most of the quests (side and main) that I've lost track of the time so many times now its kind of scary.

Its been a great distraction since I had surgery on my foot the other week, and thanks to mr_zen256's gift of a code I've had this to play to get me through the initial after surgery pain.

Just wish most of the quest choices weren't so... "lesser of two evils". At times I feel like I just cant win. :p

Force Anisotropic filtering, fixes the blurriness and doesn't have any noticeable performance impact.

Didn't see any difference, forced 16x in drivers and cfg.

What I did see now that I have SweetFX, is this profile I'm using basically removes the blur. Or at least makes it much much more subtle, and only on things quite far in the background.

Don't see how anyone can play with sharpening off and no SweetFX. Every tree's leaves just look out of focus from like 10ft away, and other textures look like a blur from relatively close distances as well.

Was hesitant to pick this up after reading through all the comments, but after playing around with it this afternoon I have to say I am very impressed! I used the Nvidia Geforce tweak guide, and have all all the details pretty much maxed save for FSAA, chromatic aberation, depth of field, and foilage, grass density set to medium. I am then using FXAA forced using the Nvidia Control panel. Game run's around 50-53 FPS on my SLI 670 / 3930 K at 4.7 Ghz system at 2560 x 1440, and looks beautiful. I was really wondering how it would stack up to Inquisition after reading all the complaints about the graphics, but after playing the two games the environments seem so much more alive in Witcher 3. I have to wonder if I am playing the same game as those complaining the game has been consolized. Controls seem much improved over Witcher 2 as well. All in all, I can see myself wasting a good chunk of time with this! :)

You were hesitant to buy a game that's being hailed as the best RPG in a decade because a couple people on [H] bitched about the graphics?

TW3 is getting universal praise for a reason...

...combat still sucks though. :D

I found it very hard to even get interested in the story in DA:I, but in TW3 I've been so sucked into most of the quests (side and main) that I've lost track of the time so many times now its kind of scary.

Its been a great distraction since I had surgery on my foot the other week, and thanks to mr_zen256's gift of a code I've had this to play to get me through the initial after surgery pain.

Just wish most of the quest choices weren't so... "lesser of two evils". At times I feel like I just cant win. :p

Glad to hear the game went to a good home that will appreciate it!

I feel the same about TW3 story lines. The secondary quests are just as well written as the mains. Nothing feels like filler and the writing is constantly engaging.

There's been a couple of quests I was conflicted about the moral choices. This series has the great ability to make you really question your personal values.

GOTY contender for me with GTA V coming a close second.

Milfgaard lol

Made me laugh to :D

On a different note

I don't know how people can compare gtav to w3 its A totally different animal at least graphically.

I personally think the witcher series has way better stories characters and immersion. and I felt more vested in the story, weighing each choice against how it would affect the outcome of the story and the morality of it.

Last edited:

Truth. I went into the Baron quest expecting some fetch quest, like "find this" and then "do that."

Came out on the other side in need of counseling and probably medication.

Last edited:
I am at the last phase of the baron mission and I am a little surprised at how well written it is. in terms of story telling this is more like a book.

I'm not sure how much I'm into the concept of "failing" a quest...I was supposed to protect some guy from ghouls, yet I had no idea who he was or who I was supposed to be protecting (there were several NPCs to "protect"), but when I went back to turn in the quest, I had to say the guy died and then I got nothing. Wtf? It should be really fucking clear who I'm supposed to be protecting if you can just fail and get no rewards.

I'm not sure how much I'm into the concept of "failing" a quest...I was supposed to protect some guy from ghouls, yet I had no idea who he was or who I was supposed to be protecting (there were several NPCs to "protect"), but when I went back to turn in the quest, I had to say the guy died and then I got nothing. Wtf? It should be really fucking clear who I'm supposed to be protecting if you can just fail and get no rewards.

Did that one too. Tried a couple times and failed to save whoever it was, then I accidently wrote over my save game. Would have had to go back about 2 hours of play to try to complete it. Ah well.

I had to reload tons of times for this quest....

Turns out, I completed it perfectly almost all of those times too! The guy you had to prtect is the one other guy that is fighting. But he is weak as hell, so like 3 hits and he's dead. best to just keep the ghouls far away from him so he doesn't engage.

Also, you are done after 2 (maybe 3) waves. If you see a rotfiend appear, you already completed the quest with the last wave. You just have to talk to him before the rotfiend kills him. If you do that, you got it. Then afterwards, if he dies, nothing will change.

As for the combat, it is far from the best, but it works. What really annoys me, at the moment is the fact that Geralt sometimes auto targets. He'll sometimes cast igni towards a different direction, attack a different enemy than the one that he's next to, and worst off, he'll dodge with reference to his target, meaning instead of dodging towards the top of the screen, hell dodge into the target. THAT is hella frustrating.

Also, agreed on the story. It is extremely well written in my opinion. I am loving it.

3 major patches in less then 1 week!!...name me any other developer that has done that...CDPR is still the king of PC!

3 major patches in less then 1 week!!...name me any other developer that has done that...CDPR is still the king of PC!

Loving the graphics in 1.04. And CDPR choosing to release patches as they're ready rather than taking the more PR 'safe' route of holding back PC updates for the slowest common denominator (Sony & Microsoft consoles and their lengthy certification process) is something to be commended.

They're between a rock and a hard place, since firing these PC patches out and in turn the patch news hitting the gaming sites has led to a lot of venom coming from console players bitching that "CDPR doesn't care about consoles" blah blah, when in reality the patches are stuck in cert quarantine.

Thank god EA isn't the publisher or they *would* be holding back PC patches.

Last edited:
Back