The real reason behind the XBOX360 overheat??

First thing that popped into my head on seeing the pics was one night a few years back tweaking a friends system and needing to peel foil from and clean up an Intel OEM HSF... As has been noted, there is is a good chance that it's supposed to be there.

-dB

This is going to happen with the Rev, and the Ps3 because for some odd reason people want to create drama when there is no need for any, thats all I'm saying.

haha and when all the drama is done and gone over that set of hardware we'll turn our attention to fridges and dish washer machines

god our lives are sad if we try to nitpick hardware and create drama over the net for it...

Spaceman_Spiff said:
At least we know revolution wont have this problem. After all, everyone knows its powered by a hamster running in his wheel all day long. They say the fan noise drowns him out though.

Ive never had a single problem with my 360, the only console ive ever had heat issues with was my gamecube, which locked up so often i had to buy a new one. My ps2 had dvd issues, but i took it apart and fixed that, and my xbox has been modded to all hell and runs like a champ.
Yeah but by that same token I had a launch system I had to return to MS after 1-1/2 months and I've never had a problem with my PS2 or gamecube, yet I have a friend who's had to warranty out 4 original Xboxii, and my mod box also runs great even though it's been taken apart and put back together more times than I can count.

Anything that comes off an assembly line, manufactured in the millions can and will have defects, it's simply the luck of the draw for most of us, and everybody has a different tale. PS3 and Rev will also have issues as somebody else said.

Just wait.

Archaea said:
hey guys....let's pool our money...

I'd paypal $5 dollars to Steviep if 80 other people would so we could get him the 400 dollars needed to buy an xbox360 and then when he figures out that it's actually a pretty cool little device we won't have these discussions :)

Funny thought - but I'm in.

You don't need to paypal me... I can already afford it quite easily, thanks. I just need a good (game) reason to that I can't play anywhere else. And before you start naming them off, I mean the TYPE of game that interests me. Shooters, racing titles, and sports titles aren't it ;)

That said, when that game comes along... if XBox 360 is the only platform that it's on and I really want it, I'll be joining you all in its praise.

steviep said:
You don't need to paypal me... I can already afford it quite easily, thanks. I just need a good (game) reason to that I can't play anywhere else. And before you start naming them off, I mean the TYPE of game that interests me. Shooters, racing titles, and sports titles aren't it ;)

That said, when that game comes along... if XBox 360 is the only platform that it's on and I really want it, I'll be joining you all in its praise.

that's fine and dandy.. but you need to chill with th flame bait in my opinion.. i use to think people would attack you for no reason when you start up a nintendo thread.. but.. now i don't really think people are attacking.. they're jsut returning the favore

steviep said:
Say it with me everybody... "rushed!" :p

"Market share!"

1 year from now when the PS3 and Rev are coming out FINALLY in the US, MS will have sold ~12-15 million units worldwide and have done what was necessary for them to continue on in this market.

The 360s hardware problems are ~3%. Thats under the 5% average for electronic hardware launches. The only people making a fuss over these issuare are Sony and Nintendo fan-boys.

PERIOD

IndyJoe said:

I'd say that yes that is probably true. I'm not sure why but a lot of chips are coming off the assembly lines with that stock thermal shit they throw on them. Some of hte older ones (I'm talking 5 years ago) came out with almost a lead/tinfoil type of conductive, it's hard to explain unless you've seen what I'm talking about. I for one have not seen anything that crappy in a long time.

You'd think that Mircrosft would put some extra $$ in their thermal compounds they used with the X360 since not a lot of poeple really take apart their boxes and put a new coat on their chips.

You fucktards. Read it again!

UPDATE* Several people on our forums say that this 'Indium' foil has probably been placed there intentionally, is part of the thermal pad and should not be removed. Apparently similar foil is used some OEM PCs, P4 and some PC GPU chips. While it looks like most people agree that normal thermal paste/compound without such a layer usually works better, one of the advantage of such a layer is that a heatsink can easily be re-installed without re-applying thermal paste after you removed it.

As quoted below on the 2nd page...they did read it again.....fucktard :p

Steve said:
I can't believe I just quoted myself but it looks like those guys over there just figured out for themselves that it was a TIM (thermal interface material)...how embarassing. Apparently they have never seen this:

http://www.bunkermentality.net/indium.html

Bah...and another Xbox 360 rumor shot down, was fun while it lasted :)

Haven't got a 360 yet, but here are the problems I have experienced from other systems. May give more insight:

Xbox never gave me problems but I always had it on top of a flat hard surface. Open space all around it. In a cool spot in my living room. Every week I dust it off to prevent dust buildup.

I had two PS2's fail on me. One was one of the original launch systems that stopped reading DVD's. The second eventually stopped reading DVD's then stopped reading CD's. Third was bought three years ago and that last one never gave me any problems.

Dreamcast. No problems.

The PS1's I had would always burn out. All night gaming sessions with family and friends. Learned to give the PS1 a break to cool down when gaming for long sessions.

Turbo Grafx16+CD. No problems.

Had one Sega Genesis burn out on my due to a Super Street Fighter II/MK 2 session with family and friends. No sleep for 48 hours. I am king. Second one, never did that again.

My SNES never gave me problems. The NES only had that issue where you had to blow into it to push out dust/lint and blow inside the game cartridges.

Atari 2600. Sometimes you had to wiggle the power button to get it to start up a game cartidge when it started locking up.

I have also had problems with Sony's systems. In my lifetime I have owned the following:

Atari 2600
NES
Gameboy
Sega Genesis
PS1
PS2
Gamecube
XBox
Xbox360

The only ones that ever gave me grief were the PS1 and PS2 (stopped reading disks). Ive had to buy two of each, and they were treated nicely. The Atari, NES, Gameboy, and Genesis took a beating and they never stopped working.

I hope the PS3 fairs a little better, I cant afford two of them. Especially if they are going to cost $1200.

[BB] Rick James said:
I have a 360, I got mine right around launch date and i have had 0 issues thus far.
See? You're like 97-99% of the people out there. The only thing is, that, you tell us how your console has worked CORRECTLY ;) . The only reason people think that this is such a bad problem is because it's the 2-3% of people with problems that make 99% of the media discussion.

Oh, just so everybody is on the same page: The foil is standard TIM. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

i wonder if the heat issue is caused when the foil slightly lifts on the edges... maybe a possible long term issue?

hignaki said:
See? You're like 97-99% of the people out there. The only thing is, that, you tell us how your console has worked CORRECTLY ;) . The only reason people think that this is such a bad problem is because it's the 2-3% of people with problems that make 99% of the media discussion.

Oh, just so everybody is on the same page: The foil is standard TIM. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.
exactly, if everyone that had a good console said they did, there would be so much more attention on that. I don't chime in my Xbox360 is doing great unless someone asks. but if there is a problem, I'll start a thread asking why.

Some of them don't have the foil, others do. It may just be a different method to secure the paste, if what I read on a couple sites was true. If most people aren't having problems, I'd assume so. There is no flamebait coming from me, but I'm not singing praises quite yet. I did play Ghost Recon yesterday though, and I am impressed. Yes it's a shooter, yes it would play better without a mouse on a PC... but... it was fucking fun! :D Still need more convincing to buy the box, though...

steviep said:
Some of them don't have the foil, others do. It may just be a different method to secure the paste, if what I read on a couple sites was true. If most people aren't having problems, I'd assume so. There is no flamebait coming from me, but I'm not singing praises quite yet. I did play Ghost Recon yesterday though, and I am impressed. Yes it's a shooter, yes it would play better without a mouse on a PC... but... it was fucking fun! :D Still need more convincing to buy the box, though...

Have you tried Kameo? original and fun ;)

Kameo was OK... I've played better platformers. But I didn't finish the game, obviously.

Rich Tate said:
Was this wipespread? No it wasn't, it falls into the realm of typical launch problems which every console in history has had in one way shape or form.

Trust me, if there was a major issue with this unit, we would've reported on it, and been all over it. You are really attempting to make a huge issue out of something that isn't.

QFT. I've had a system since launch and its running fine.

theNoid said:
"Market share!"

1 year from now when the PS3 and Rev are coming out FINALLY in the US, MS will have sold ~12-15 million units worldwide and have done what was necessary for them to continue on in this market.

The 360s hardware problems are ~3%. Thats under the 5% average for electronic hardware launches. The only people making a fuss over these issuare are Sony and Nintendo fan-boys.

PERIOD

I disagree that these systems were rushed. The fact that I havn't had a single crash or problem with all of the titles I own is proof that it wasn't rushed. The issue, is that when people have a problem, they are going to tell 9 or 10 people about their experience. However, when people like me and 97% of the other owners never have a problem, generally we keep quiet since we are busy having so much fun anyway. So you've got 1-3% of the people who have genuine concerns, but it's being seriously amplified by the Sony and Nintendo fan-boy crowd who just can't stand the Xbox because they are a bunch of biased people who throw objectivity right out the window. It's these people who magnify and amplify these issues like it's the gospel or something.

junehhan said:
So you've got 1-3% of the people who have genuine concerns, but it's being seriously amplified by the Sony and Nintendo fan-boy crowd who just can't stand the Xbox because they are a bunch of biased people who throw objectivity right out the window. It's these people who magnify and amplify these issues like it's the gospel or something.

I agree with this but there is another factor that really just makes the situation 2000% worse...the MAINSTREAM MEDIA and even the gaming media to an extent.

Before the Xbox 360 shipped it was ALL doom & gloom. Once it hit, the media went banannas on any dirt they could find...why? Becasue it is a "story". God know we all NEED a story!!!

NOBODY READS "Xbox 360 launched today...97% of the people are happy" stories. But everyone clicks on the link that says "OMFG XBOX TINFOIL KILLS BABIES...VIDEO INSIDE".

Now that the media has gotten as much mileage as they could out of the 360 stories, they HAVE to move on to the next big console to take pot shots at...the PS3. Every damn day there is "PS3 DELAYED!" stories and so on. The mainstream media blows it out of proportion, and when they do finally hit, we get two months of "OMFG PS3 TINFOIL KILLS BABIES...VIDEO INSIDE" headlines and so on.

Then they'll move on to the Revolution ...unless it ships first. Nintendo actually gets it from both sides. People beat on Nintendo as a company like there is no tomorrow and the mainstream media treats it like a console for little kids.

This is nothing new, it is the same crap you always see, two bank robberies make the news and the baby that fell down the well... no one wants to hear about the 2 billion things that went RIGHT today. No one give 2 shits about the 4,500 banks in your area that didn't get robbed, they want to know about the one that did....the nature of the beast and it is being fueled by the fan-boys.

To get a real feel for the PS3, we need for it to launch and get a few months under its belt like the 360. Same goes for the Revolution.

So, I for one, plan on doing just like we did with the 360....keep an open mind...point out the issues as they arrise (real, not rumor) and call BS when we see it.

Back