The real reason behind the XBOX360 overheat??

steviep said:
Say it with me everybody... "rushed!" :p

At least we know revolution wont have this problem. After all, everyone knows its powered by a hamster running in his wheel all day long. They say the fan noise drowns him out though.

Ive never had a single problem with my 360, the only console ive ever had heat issues with was my gamecube, which locked up so often i had to buy a new one. My ps2 had dvd issues, but i took it apart and fixed that, and my xbox has been modded to all hell and runs like a champ.

Yeah...I have a launch 360 and have no issues at all. I just think that if this is the reason some people are having issues it is funny as hell.

Joe

steviep said:

Say it with me everybody..."Flamebait".

If this is true, then the design of the system isn't the problem (Which means the design wasn't "rushed"). It's just a manufacturing oversight that falls within the same realm of problems that every console has in the first revision.

The first revision WAS rushed. That's not flamebait, that's fact.
At least we know revolution wont have this problem. After all, everyone knows its powered by a hamster running in his wheel all day long. They say the fan noise drowns him out though.
<- THAT'S flamebait... lol.

They wanted to get the jump on Sony, and by all accounts (i.e. 2 million X360's sold) they succeeded. :p Obviously not all rev1 consoles have plastic on the heatsink, otherwise the issues would be FAR more widespread than a <5% figure.

in any factory setting there are idiot employees.

how they managed to get TWO of these systems that were like this I don't know...But I wouldnt' suspect this to be a huge common problem.

It could either be an idiot, or a person trying to sabatoge microsoft.

steviep said:
The first revision WAS rushed. That's not flamebait, that's fact.
What part of that is fact? Most xbox360s work and work good.

If your going to say the xbox360 was rushed then EVERY electronic device is rushed to market. Companies need to make money, and and as soon as they get a good working product they are going to sell it as soon as possible.

*sigh* Yes, every piece of electronics is essentially rushed in some form or another. But I think you fail to understand me when I say that the console was rushed to make that November launch date. The proof is in the pudding (or many of the launch titles which lack polish or features, or the launch emulator, etc etc). I shouldn't need to explain that to you. What I'm sure I don't need to explain to you, however, is the fact that after the initial rush to market, the platform is maturing much nicer. For instance, the March release schedule of the X360 is fairly impressive, and some of these titles definately show polish that was severely lacking at the console's launch rush.

steviep said:
*sigh* Yes, every piece of electronics is essentially rushed in some form or another. But I think you fail to understand me when I say that the console was rushed to make that November launch date. The proof is in the pudding (or many of the launch titles which lack polish or features, or the launch emulator, etc etc). I shouldn't need to explain that to you. What I'm sure I don't need to explain to you, however, is the fact that after the initial rush to market, the platform is maturing much nicer. For instance, the March release schedule of the X360 is fairly impressive, and some of these titles definately show polish that was severely lacking at the console's launch rush.

so wait...the launch was rushed? :p

steviep said:

Anyone that buys a console at launch--especially now with the complexity that games have--expecting a stellar library is simply daydreaming. The 360's launch lineup was quite good from solely a launch perspective (PS2 anyone? Your hallowed GC was rather barren as well.. (Luigi's Mansion, YAY!).

The prolific backhanded compliments and constant condescension may escape the mods around here, but it doesn't make it any less pathetic. :p

Navy

You have to admit, it paled a bit in comparison to its predecessor. I mean no Halo or DOA? Kinda like the PS2 when it launched without a Gran Turismo game.

Yeah, I agree that none of the games match up against Halo as launch games.

However, I'd say most of the 360 launch games are at least decent to above average. I can't say that about the Xbox 1 games...couple real stinkers in there.

Navy

heatsinker said:
You have to admit, it paled a bit in comparison to its predecessor. I mean no Halo or DOA? Kinda like the PS2 when it launched without a Gran Turismo game.

The question is though, would you rather have it launch with what it had, or wait to launch until now? Its exceptionally difficult to accurately predict a software development cycle, especially with console games where you can't patch patch patch all day long- we're starting to see a few fixes here and there this generation, but its nothing compared to pc games, every single one of which has a patch within a month or so of release. The main thing is that developers really have little incentive to release a game at launch as opposed to a few months later. I doubt any game coming out this month is gonna hurt at all from missing the "launch window" (btw, STUPID term imo).

Its like how everyone says "omg not another console shortage!" but lets think now- would you rather them manufacture systems for 6 months and put them in warehouses, releasing 5 million initially, or put out what they've got as best they can?

NavyH16 said:
Anyone that buys a console at launch--especially now with the complexity that games have--expecting a stellar library is simply daydreaming. The 360's launch lineup was quite good from solely a launch perspective (PS2 anyone? Your hallowed GC was rather barren as well.. (Luigi's Mansion, YAY!).

The prolific backhanded compliments and constant condescension may escape the mods around here, but it doesn't make it any less pathetic. :p

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Would you rather I remain a complete cynic? I mean, who's really being condescending here? I give credit where it's due, there are some big releases coming for the X360 in March, despite the obvious lulls in software that precede and proceed it. In fact, if I didn't already have a great PC, I would want an X360 for Oblivion.

You can't expect a console to launch with gold. NO ONE does anymore, since the N64 and the Dreamcast. That said, do you honestly, truly believe that the console wasn't rushed to market? If that's the case, who's really the one daydreaming?

In any case, this is getting off-topic and personal. The reason the protective layer was not removed on the heatsink of 2 separate consoles purchased in 2 separate places, in any case, either had to with complete incompetence or a rush. I'd put money on the second one.

actually, I hear that fall out of your mouth on a regular basis "rushed". What do you mean "rushed". Please stick with the cold hard facts:

not rumor and speculation.

not some guy screaming for a recall when his 360 locked playing PGR3

not the media all linking the same story.

The facts.

How was the 360 "rushed". Please cite the sources of your facts. Help us understand what you are trying to say. What has been the detriment of this "rush". Has the consumer / end user been negatively impacted by this "rush". If so, what?

They have updated the original story as some think the foil may be there intentionally. The foil may be some sort of heat transfering material. Yes I know some decent thermal paste is much better but the 360 is a mass produced consumer device and not a custom gaming PC.

Personally I am waiting until the fall to get a 360 and hopefully they wil have worked some of the bugs out by then.

Steve said:
actually, I hear that fall out of your mouth on a regular basis "rushed". What do you mean "rushed". Please stick with the cold hard facts:

The facts.

How was the 360 "rushed". Please cite the sources of your facts. Help us understand what you are trying to say. What has been the detriment of this "rush". Has the consumer / end user been negatively impacted by this "rush". If so, what?

ooohhh, ouch!

Steve said:

Steve, with all due respect... does there need to be an admittal from Microsoft that they rushed the product out the door to get the jump on Sony? Those are the only cold hard facts that would be considered noteworthy, and they're never going to happen. Remember Perfect Dark Zero's launch?
IGN said:
Just like everyone else, we purchased our own copy PDZ at retail stores this week (or rather, we pre-ordered it), and just like MS tells us, the retailers have told us to come back tomorrow (Friday) when the title is supposed to appear.

Or better yet, this article from Next-Gen which was also reproduced on 1UP:
Next-Gen said:
It was an extraordinary gamble. The game passed certification after the disks had been pressed. If the company had waited for certification to come through before okaying manufacture, Perfect Dark Zero would not have been available at the launch of Xbox 360.

Having ordered replication of the disks, Microsoft and Rare had to cross their fingers for a positive certification. If Microsoft's notoriously strict procedure - which we understand was not eased for PDZ in any way - had failed, the disks would have been trashed and the game would have been late.

1UP said:
The story really points to the kind of pressure that developers are in to make certain dates, not only to keep their publishers and fans happy, but to make critical windows that affect their sales, their marketing, and their profits for the quarter. A new console launch is always a hectic, sometimes brutal, process.

Now this in no way is any kind of cold hard fact... hell, it just points at Rare's own difficulties, in reality. But reports like these exist for other games as well (Oblivion delay, emulator on the shipped HDs being out of date instantaneously, EA pulling features out of their sports games, need I go on?) and point to a simple piece of conjecture on the matter: Microsoft pushed this thing out of the door at a critical time, despite the console and some of its games not truly being ready.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/673/673859p1.html ?

Obviously the whole thing was blown WAAAAY out of proportion. The only stories that I saw that was different than the Reuters story linkage that spread like wildfire were local news reports, of which I obviously can't produce. They said nothing new, however... just interviewed Microsoft Canada which said "around 5% of users are experiencing lockups", but Reuters wasn't their source. Local people's complaints were (interviews included).

No, in the end, the only people affected by the rush to market are the <5% with issues, and the people who were, until last week, looking for more games to play beyond the Live Arcade. After the initial launch titles, Geometry Wars has been the most played game on the console, hasn't it?

steviep said:

I dunno man, my system has close to 250 hours logged in gaming time with not a single crash or problem. I bought the extended warranty to be safe, but i'm pretty impressed. Of course, we'll have to see what happens this summer when the temperature in my gaming room can start reaching into the 80's during the daytime with the a/c on max.

All Killer No Filler said:
ooohhh, ouch!

I don't mean it as a slam. I just hear this "you know it was rushed" statement all the time...stated like it is fact, not opinion, all the time. I am just wondering what steviep's sources are.

Are they "rushing" like hell to meet demand? Did the rush to beat Nintendo and PS3 to the next gen race by 6 - 12 months? Did they rush and tell their game partners we are meeting our launch date of Nov. 22nd whether your game is ready or not? Did they rush and forget to put components in the 360? Did they rush and cut corners like using zip ties instead of approved fasteners?

Pointing out an IGN article to people that can't find a game does not = "RUSHED". And certainly doesn't warrant someone flying into a thread with "OMFGROFLORZ...MS RUSHED THIS POS" because someone might have made a mistake in a mass assembly area in China.

(that might even be an actual TIM or thermal pad on the GPU HSF)

What is "rushed"?

And, what does it mean to the consumer? I like rush delivery on my Pizza and FedEx but I don't like to be rushed when I am in the bathroom...RUSHED means something different to everyone...FACTS would help clear up what he means.

Again, stating Geometry Wars is the most played game on the Xbox 360 again only shows that there are no facts to back up what is being said here. Is there a statistic somewhere that says "Geometry Wars is the most played game ever"? If not, why would you say that?

Guys

We all know that every xbox360 overheats even if you don't know it is doing it because of the small demon that MS put in each unit to SUCK OUT YOUR SOUL. :rolleyes:

I don't own a 360 because money is a little tight right now and I haven't seen one to buy, but i'll tell you this right now, I'm getting one ASAP.

Yes this was a documented issue, however MS fixed every defective unit PRONTO.

Was this wipespread? No it wasn't, it falls into the realm of typical launch problems which every console in history has had in one way shape or form.

Trust me, if there was a major issue with this unit, we would've reported on it, and been all over it. You are really attempting to make a huge issue out of something that isn't.

My definition of rushed means hurried. If you don't believe that EVERY console company tries to get their product from conception to launch as quickly as they can to gain an edge, then you've got another thing coming. MS knew exactly what they were doing with this one, it isn't some ram shackled thrown together launch that some people want to make it out to be.

Bottom line is this, the product is doing great, will continue to do so for some time to come. For every issue I know of on this forum, I will bet you you will have 3 or 4 people tell you they had no problems.

Steve said:
And, what does it mean to the consumer? I like rush delivery on my Pizza and FedEx but I don't like to be rushed when I am in the bathroom...RUSHED means something different to everyone...FACTS would help clear up what he means.

The 360 may have been rushed to market, but I sure ain't seein' any rush delivery! hii-ooo!

wait...was that even funny?

Rich Tate said:
Guys

We all know that every xbox360 overheats even if you don't know it is doing it because of the small demon that MS put in each unit to SUCK OUT YOUR SOUL. :rolleyes:

I don't own a 360 because money is a little tight right now and I haven't seen one to buy, but i'll tell you this right now, I'm getting one ASAP.

Yes this was a documented issue, however MS fixed every defective unit PRONTO.

Was this wipespread? No it wasn't, it falls into the realm of typical launch problems which every console in history has had in one way shape or form.

Trust me, if there was a major issue with this unit, we would've reported on it, and been all over it. You are really attempting to make a huge issue out of something that isn't.

My definition of rushed means hurried. If you don't believe that EVERY console company tries to get their product from conception to launch as quickly as they can to gain an edge, then you've got another thing coming. MS knew exactly what they were doing with this one, it isn't some ram shackled thrown together launch that some people want to make it out to be.

Bottom line is this, the product is doing great, will continue to do so for some time to come. For every issue I know of on this forum, I will bet you you will have 3 or 4 people tell you they had no problems.

More than that. For every issue that someone has, at least 8 other people are enjoying it trouble-free. Remember, the world of the internet states that the squeaky wheel gets all the attention.

Rich Tate said:
Guys

Only the lucky ones have their souls sucked out...most had to sign their soul away when they bought one :p

My point all along has been that the media and forums are the biggest perpetuators of internet rumors EVER. All of the rumors are based on things they "heard" or "read" and then they are repeated as fact..."The fact is, it was rushed...and it eats babies too".

Just kinda disappointing when I see it here so much.

Now that the 360 has launched and there was no recall, all the rumors have been dispelled as just that, rumor...now they are moving on to the PS3 ..."DELAYED!!!" "COST $1200" "SUCKS ALREADY". Next up, the Revolution. The media has already beaten the hell out of the company, and if the PS3 launched first (it might not, who knows) then the only target for all the hate will be the Revolution.

After that...the flame warz between the camps (Mario pWnz joo 81tch3z!, PS3 Rock = Xbox suxs!) Jeez, I can't wait.

Steve said:
My point all along has been that the media and forums are the biggest perpetuators of internet rumors EVER. All of the rumors are based on things they "heard" or "read" and then they are repeated as fact..."The fact is, it was rushed...and it eats babies too".

I vividly remember reading all these "doom and gloom" articles and people were saying that this launch was going to go down in infamy. muhahahahahaha.

Further examination noted that EVERY story linked to ONE SINGLE story on Xbox Scene I believe. Steve will correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

This is going to happen with the Rev, and the Ps3 because for some odd reason people want to create drama when there is no need for any, thats all I'm saying.

It riles me up when a very good product gets badmouthed for no good reason.

I have three people that are my friends who I consider to be a very good indication of how a product really is, one of them happens to write game reviews. They have all been completely happy and impressed with their units, that gets me excited to get one.

Cept the one dude who does the reviews, the crazy guy watercooled his for some odd reason. :eek: ;)

Steve said:

All of here are eagerly awaiting the PS3's ball-shaving capabilities :D

Slartibartfast said:
All of here are eagerly awaiting the PS3's ball-shaving capabilities :D

I still want to cook with mine. Jack Thompson will probably claim that the Revmote is a vibrator and want it banned, too. :p

steviep said:

i don't understand why you get so giddy when you hear something negative about the X360 or PS3..

i for one think that comment was not nessary...

I recall steviep's post quoting something about the system being rushed, and having to do with Perfect Dark Zero. While it was confirmed the game was actually pressed and shipped before certification, that doesn't constitute a rushed console, but merely a rushed game.

People, the fact is, most people's Xbox 360's work fine. It's nothing out of the ordinary to have defective units at launch and during the rest of the duration of a console's life, simple as that. Mine has worked beautifully since day one, which was launch day.

The thing is, nowadays, people have a lot more access to media, content, and forums to blow anything and EVERYTHING way out of proportion. Think of this: how easy would it be for a few Sony "fans" (ahem, said nicely) to join Xbox Scene or ANY gaming or hardware forum and start talking about how their Xbox 360 blew up and took their car and rest of their familiy with it? The answer? It would be VERY easy, and the next thing you know, BOOM---it's on the front page of any website that has any kind of ANYTHING on it. Then it's on CNN. Then little Johnny's mom or dad remembers that little Johnny wanted one of these dreaded, beastly, family killing machines. Then little Johnny's mom or dad decides NOT to buy it.

Think it throught guys. There's no widespread problem with the 360.

hey guys....let's pool our money...

I'd paypal $5 dollars to Steviep if 80 other people would so we could get him the 400 dollars needed to buy an xbox360 and then when he figures out that it's actually a pretty cool little device we won't have these discussions :)

Funny thought - but I'm in.

Archaea said:
hey guys....let's pool our money...

I'd paypal $5 dollars to Steviep if 80 other people would so we could get him the 400 dollars needed to buy an xbox360 and then when he figures out that it's actually a pretty cool little device we won't have these discussions :)

Funny thought - but I'm in.

Forget that, paypal ME! I actually would love a 360!! :D ;)

Hey everyone is entitled to an opinion. But I think we can all agree this thread has further proven its a great piece of hardware, period.

Rich Tate said:
Forget that, paypal ME! I actually would love a 360!! :D ;)

Hey everyone is entitled to an opinion. But I think we can all agree this thread has further proven its a great piece of hardware, period.

...despite the complete lack of ballshaver.

Slartibartfast said:
...despite the complete lack of ballshaver.
Well....mine serves coffee, so it's ok. But, yeah, you're right, the ballshaver would've been a definite plus. :)

All you have to do is be on a forum for quite a while, hating on something, while having proper grammar, and they get Xbox 360s.... :(

What's the world coming to.

PS: Give me the fucking money.

XBOX IS FOR LAMERZ!

Steve said:
(that might even be an actual TIM or thermal pad on the GPU HSF)

I can't believe I just quoted myself but it looks like those guys over there just figured out for themselves that it was a TIM (thermal interface material)...how embarassing. Apparently they have never seen this:

http://www.bunkermentality.net/indium.html

Bah...and another Xbox 360 rumor shot down, was fun while it lasted :)

Back