The Official Resident Evil PC Remake Thread

For sure going to play this. Remember playing this on ps1 and having a lot of fun. I had to give back the ps1 to the rental store and I was about to kill the last boss.

For sure going to play this. Remember playing this on ps1 and having a lot of fun. I had to give back the ps1 to the rental store and I was about to kill the last boss.

Yeah Resident Evil conjures up good memories for me too. My friends dad had got him a Playstation when it launched. RE was one of the games he got with it, he invited me over to play it , but gave me a stipulation that I could only play it in the dark. I took him up on his offer. Needless to say I died very quickly.

I'll never forget the feeling of pure terror & helplessness as those dogs broke through the windows and attacked me. I dropped the controller lol. Good times :D

Are they porting the Gamecube version or is this something completely new?

is this game going to be wide screen with 16:9 backgrounds or cropped with resolution bumped up and tank controls?

Are they porting the Gamecube version or is this something completely new?

As it says in the article it's based on REmake.

is this game going to be wide screen with 16:9 backgrounds or cropped with resolution bumped up and tank controls?

16:9 support. It will also have control options so if you want to use tank controls you can or you can pick a more modern control option.

The thing I don't like about the 16:9 support is that they essentially zoom in on the background, which is a 4:3 pre-rendered (remastered) background and then pan the screen for your movement. I may actually play it in the 4:3 format.

Not to burst any bubbles but this is only an enhanced version of the Gamecube game. I’m fine with this but I think many will, and already, are expecting too much.

From wiki…

On August 5, 2014, it was announced that an HD Remaster of the game would be released on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in early 2015. The game enhances the GameCube version with 1080p visuals and remastered 5.1 surround sound, with additional options for analog controls and widescreen ratio.

Not to burst any bubbles but this is only an enhanced version of the Gamecube game. I’m fine with this but I think many will, and already, are expecting too much.

It doesn't claim to be anything other than that. Of course the people that inform themselves about the game already know that.

The thing I don't like about the 16:9 support is that they essentially zoom in on the background, which is a 4:3 pre-rendered (remastered) background and then pan the screen for your movement. I may actually play it in the 4:3 format.

I hope the backgrounds were re-rendered for 16:9 and aren't just zoomed in re-renders of the 4:3 image.

I hope the backgrounds were re-rendered for 16:9 and aren't just zoomed in re-renders of the 4:3 image.
I'm at work so I can't effectively research the examples, but they do mention that all the 16:9 effect does is zoom in on 4:3 backgrounds and pan & scan the screen based on the player's movement. I think it's mentioned in the latest video (from the 12th?) of the Japanese guy talking.

The backgrounds and lighting were remastered or upscaled and look good, but the 16:9 feature is essentially them scaling the 4:3 game to fill out the sides of a 16:9 frame.

So Jill goes from dark skin (may be the capture) in one screen to white on the updated remake?? haha

When is the release date? Google is letting me down.

I can't find it either but If I had to guess it would be early next year. But hey they may all surprise up for a December release, just in time for Christmas!

They should just get a dedicated team and remake Resident Evil 2 and 3 as well with modern graphics but stay true to the elements of the original (like fixed cameras), those things are what make the games legendary and with modern graphics would be nice to see.

is this game scary or just gory?...for example I played the Evil Within demo and that to me was all about gore...in movie terms, Exorcist and the original Halloween were scary...the sequels were more gory

Last edited:
is this game scary or just gory?...for example I played the Evil Within demo and that to me was all about gore...in movie terms, Exorcist and the original Halloween were scary...the sequels were more gory

The gore in Resident Evil games were never really the core of what made it scary; there is blood and gore in death animations but the system (PS1) at the time didn't allow for the realism needed to designate it as a visual horror. I would describe Resident Evil (as a series) as being more atmospheric horror as the overall theme and execution of the environment you are playing are responsible for the "scary" factor.

Additional games in the series were able to take advantage of the newer systems and therefore provide greater graphical detail with regards to the visual gore. I'm pretty sure I recall being grossed out by RE4 and 5 in certain situations (again, death animations did become pretty involved and detailed).

The awkward control scheme (i.e. you move like a tank and could not reposition the camera) and the (intentional?) lack of background music in certain sequences provided me with terror - that is surely a personal opinion.

Definitely supposed to be more scary. You also have to be somewhat conservative with ammunition and managing your inventory. You may also have to backtrack a bit and solve some puzzles. There are some boss fights with mutated things but nothing gory.

Remember that this game was originally conceived in the mid-90s; it was initially released on the PlayStation in 1996. There's no run-n-gun in this game and it has a fixed camera. Some people don't like the controls but I'm accustomed to it since I've played the originals.

The GameCube remaster was awesome and I'm prayin' like heck they didn't screw up the HD remaster. Surely they couldn't.

Wait, there's people who haven't played Resident Evil? Da fuq...

Wait, there's people who haven't played Resident Evil? Da fuq...

Speaking strictly on the original, keep in mind that it came out nearly 19 years ago. I'm sure a large number of people here either weren't alive or were quite young in '96. I was only 9 when RE came out. My cousin was obsessed with it, so I watched him play a lot, but only really played it once or twice myself. Same goes for two and three. I don't know that I ever really got engrossed in a RE game on my own until Code Veronica.

Just went and pre-ordered on my Ps4, cause Resident Evil on Playstation is what started it all for me back in 95....

Speaking strictly on the original, keep in mind that it came out nearly 19 years ago. I'm sure a large number of people here either weren't alive or were quite young in '96. I was only 9 when RE came out.

Thanks for making me feel REAL old at 34....

So, is this the run down on how the game will run on various systems?
Xbox 360/ PS3 720p 30 fps
Xbox One/PS4 1080p 30 fps
PC whatever your rig can handle (60 fps 1080p for folks like me)

I played the original PS one version. Really looking forward to the remake, classic game.

I had no idea this was coming out until I saw it in my Steam recommendations and now I'm excited. I don't pick many games up near launch, but depending on how good this remake is this will likely be an exception just to get a chance to re-live some of those childhood memories of playing it. I was probably 7 or 8 and ended up borrowing it from a friend without my parents knowledge since I wasn't allowed to play such games. Definitely one of my fondest childhood gaming memories.

I'm excited, but I want to see how it performs on pc/xbone before I make my choice on what to get it for.

Framerate difference be damned, im playing this on my PS4 with the lights off, surround sound turned up and a beer on my 55'' LCD

Is it just me, or remakes and remasters a thing lately?

RE4, RE1, AoE 2, AoM, RoN, and HoMM too...

That being said, if they remake RE2, I am biting. That thing reminds me of so much (Tofu anyone?)

From the videos it looks like the controls and camera angles are still shit. They can remake stuff over and over, but unless the UX gets better they can stuff it.

That being said, if they remake RE2, I am biting. That thing reminds me of so much (Tofu anyone?)

For the industry it's been a big thing for the last few years, for Capcom it's been a thing for the last 15 or so years.

I don't mind remasters but the new trend of remastering recent games is not a good thing...Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider etc all got new versions in a relatively short time period after its initial release...it's mostly being done for the next-gen consoles but it's still stupid...why not remaster System Shock 2 or Deus Ex...now that would be amazing

Back