The Official Resident Evil PC Remake Thread

hey the fuck is up with this max 1080p rez crap on the settings? they think im gonna use youtube to run this game? had to manually edit to 1440, which is a low display rez by todays standard, bah.

So not to sound like a total baddie, but I started on Medium difficulty with Chris, got to the first zombie that has the cinematic of him eating that dude, and promptly got eaten before i could knife it enough times to win the fight.

I haven't played any RE since the original when it was first released. Can anyone give me some guidance on how not to be terrible?

[L]imey;1041378225 said:
So not to sound like a total baddie, but I started on Medium difficulty with Chris, got to the first zombie that has the cinematic of him eating that dude, and promptly got eaten before i could knife it enough times to win the fight.

I haven't played any RE since the original when it was first released. Can anyone give me some guidance on how not to be terrible?

So in old resident evil knifing can't be used for fighting. It takes 4 stabs to knock down a zombie on medium and they grab you on the forth. wriggling out takes half or 3/4 of your health. So what you need to do is take a zombie down with a gun, and stab it until its dead.

Chris has very little ammo. Mostly try to just avoid zombies. I think some eventually respawn one more time by the end so sometimes killing them is just a waste of bullets. Throughout the game you want to look for "daggers". They are 1 use and allow you to LB and stab a zombie in the head knocking him down. then you switch to your regular knife and stab him until hes dead.

I'm actually playing as Jill because the game is just less hard on you with her. She gets more help and more ammo.

Anyone not familiar with Resident Evil Old school should usually pick her first. Its not quite easy mode but less of a trial than with Chris. I haven't played this in a zillion years but I'm sure I'll finish it this weekend and I give better advice. You could just read gamefaqs but spoilers and all that.

Ah see i had no idea that the knife was insufficient, I also don't know how to swap to chris's gun. I'll figure that part out first, or swap to Jill as I think my first play through was with her as well. Hard to remember after like 20 years

wel.. i started on hard because i think im a resident evil badass, as jill... didnt grab the first ink and saved because ima badass, i'll save later, and i think i need that inventory slot. waltzed around as the ultimate badass, completely aimless, came to the realization that i dont remember shit, random zombies threw a party on me.. almost half an hour later and with my inventory full with shit that i dont remember what to use for, i died, eaten..

now im starting a new game, on medium, and saving as i go (dumbass) duh.

funny, when i put my head on the pillow it all came back to me when i went to sleep last night... running on normal (the middle setting), control setting B, on wide, as Jill, and everything is fine :p

hey the fuck is up with this max 1080p rez crap on the settings? they think im gonna use youtube to run this game? had to manually edit to 1440, which is a low display rez by todays standard, bah.
I was quite annoyed by this, as well. It's not like the game doesn't support any higher resolution, as it obviously does.

I was quite annoyed by this, as well. It's not like the game doesn't support any higher resolution, as it obviously does.

yeah, the scaler is always set to off on my display and the game works perfectly on 2560x1440 but it looks a little weird in 16:9, people who are running it on 16:10 displays will have a better experience, probably because the game was originally for 4:3. last time i ran this game on dolphin it was on a 16:10 display and it seems to have looked way better, at least on my memories heh.

The best upgrade for HD Resident Evil

0q8avww.gif

The game was probably built with consoles in mind, but take into consideration that most of the backgrounds are actually videos. The more you scale them up, the uglier they get.

I'm playing in 4:3 mode and they even cut off the top and bottom of the screen because I'm in a 16:10 mode. The game runs in a 16:9 mode regardless of what video option you select. Doesn't bother me too much, I play with emulators every so often so I'm used to not having things scale completely and I just accept what might work the best for the situation.

Fortunately the game hasn't had any issues for me; I've accepted that it's not perfect as far as modernization goes. I'm happy that the surround sound works properly and everything seems to look proper in the 4:3 mode.

$20 is a can't miss price for this game. Even though the pre-rendered backgrounds are showing their age, the graphical upgrade is very nice. I actually think that the pan and scan in widescreen mode improves the cinematic feel of the game. I love the sound in this game, very atmospheric.
I have almost completed my first playthrough. Having been so long since my last run of REbirth, it's like a brand new game. I always run through twice as Jill to get a solid feel for the mansion before tackling a run with Chris.
Playing through with the knife is definitely challenging, and you can easily run out of ammo on Normal mode. My preference is to leave the majority of zombies shambling around the mansion to conserve ammo for
when you re-enter the mansion and the hunters emerge
. For any zombies that you do kill, make sure to
burn or decapitate them to avoid having to deal with Crimson Heads; if you will not be returning to an area with zombie corpses, don't bother burning and conserve the fuel
. Avoiding zombies is fairly simple in hallways, you simply need to "juke" the zombies toward one wall then run along the opposite wall.
$20 is a steal - I paid $40 for the original on PSX way back in the day, and it was $50 when REbirth launched on the Cube. Even the ports of RE 2, 3, and C:V X on the Cube were $40 at launch, so for Capcom to release this for $20 is pretty surprising. Any fan of Resident Evil or survival horror is doing a disservice by not buying this, not only because it remains one of the best games of the genre, but also because the future of an RE 2 remake probably hinges on the success of this and RE 7.

Just now finishing up the armor key sections, I don't know I get how people can like speed run through the game, but I take my time just exploring no walk throughs or map guides. No rushing around. I also got stuck for a while because I forgot about the note explaining what to do with the Dog whistle. I miss games like this with just enough action, exploring and puzzles to keep you engaged. Too many games these days shove procedural sandbox questing and corridor cutscene shooting down your throat. I feel bad saying this but as I'm closing down for the night I saw a steam ad for the HD Resident evil 4 and I realized I have no real interest in playing that one again. Even though its considered one of the better resident evils the decline into action cutscene QTE is pretty obvious in that one. Theres not a lot to it. The original style of Resident Evil definitely died with Code veronica I think.

How well does it play with kb/mouse. I'm not really a controller sort of person.

I'm just imagining an Umbrella executive visiting this mansion

"Well sir to get to the westend lab you just go down this path, turn the revenge dog west and the destruction dog north. go to this cabin and get a crank. You need the crank to lower the water. Once you're pass that you just need a battery for the elevator. Boom you're in. Its real simple."

"you're fired"

I'm just imagining an Umbrella executive visiting this mansion

"Well sir to get to the westend lab you just go down this path, turn the revenge dog west and the destruction dog north. go to this cabin and get a crank. You need the crank to lower the water. Once you're pass that you just need a battery for the elevator. Boom you're in. Its real simple."

"you're fired"

:p
Ridiculous as that may be, the only thing that has ever really left me scratching my head is when you get down into the tunnels, rotating entire sections of rock with a crank :confused:

When you're doing ethically-questionable things, you need to put safeguards into place to keep people out of your business! Setting up a badge reader and a permissions system would make it too obvious that some serious business was going down there.

Now I'm suddenly interested in learning about how far back key card or badging systems go back.

What? I would venture as far as saying 80% (probably more) of PC gamers are still using 1080P.

1440P is definitely not low...

oh jesus oh jesus i think i was like, an hour without saving.. gone, i forgot.. no way, im gonna kill myself, im gona jump off a bridge.. holy shit the last time i saved was after defeating the plant 42.. all the puzzles, everything, gone.. now wheres my 1911....

I've read that a few of you were able to run this game at 1440p. How did you do it?

Well I got just past finding serum for Richard and I believe that will be it for me. The game has great atmosphere but it just didn't age well. The puzzles are interesting and the mansion is a pretty spooky maze but the game is just not fun to play.

When I played it when it first came out on PS1 I remember it being much scarier and more about survival. Of course I was pretty young at the time. I don't remember the game being so monotonous. But I guess it has always been a ''Locked Door Simulator''.

oh jesus oh jesus i think i was like, an hour without saving.. gone, i forgot.. no way, im gonna kill myself, im gona jump off a bridge.. holy shit the last time i saved was after defeating the plant 42.. all the puzzles, everything, gone.. now wheres my 1911....
If I can't remember the last 2-3 major things I did, I know it's time to save.

Well I got just past finding serum for Richard and I believe that will be it for me. The game has great atmosphere but it just didn't age well. The puzzles are interesting and the mansion is a pretty spooky maze but the game is just not fun to play.

When I played it when it first came out on PS1 I remember it being much scarier and more about survival. Of course I was pretty young at the time. I don't remember the game being so monotonous. But I guess it has always been a ''Locked Door Simulator''.
I skipped the original but then played it on GC and I can barely remember playing, but I'm enjoying the HD remake. Too many games now days just point you directly where you need to go, which obviously cuts out the frustration of trying to figure out what to do. I recently finished Far Cry 4 and I'm certain I remember some quests saying 'find yadda yadda' and a flippin' waypoint indicator would show up, so much for finding it, THERE IT IS! I'm actually enjoying running around aimlessly and repeatedly backtracking before I figure out what I'm supposed to do, I just make it a point to clear out some areas so that when I return I'm not hassled by the zombies.

You can burn multiple zombies if you kill them on top of one another.

If I can't remember the last 2-3 major things I did, I know it's time to save.

I skipped the original but then played it on GC and I can barely remember playing, but I'm enjoying the HD remake. Too many games now days just point you directly where you need to go, which obviously cuts out the frustration of trying to figure out what to do. I recently finished Far Cry 4 and I'm certain I remember some quests saying 'find yadda yadda' and a flippin' waypoint indicator would show up, so much for finding it, THERE IT IS! I'm actually enjoying running around aimlessly and repeatedly backtracking before I figure out what I'm supposed to do, I just make it a point to clear out some areas so that when I return I'm not hassled by the zombies.

You can burn multiple zombies if you kill them on top of one another.

Yeah I hear you I just don't enjoy the gameplay. This would be a better game to watch some one else play, if I hadn't already beaten it when I was younger.

Two types of games I just can't get into anymore; 2D indie platformers, Puzzle games. I have just had enough, too much saturation.

Win some, lose some.

Ok finally beat it. Apparently I got the good jill ending. I thought you had to beat it in a certain amount of item but I guess not. New costume is the jill army tanktop deal.

Even if I don't play it again I'm happy. I kinda wish I had bought a physical copy for my collection but maybe later.

I ended up playing windowed 1680x1050 as I was just doing other stuff while playing. I did notice much easier on the eyes visuals at the that size and resolution. Typical of older games. As the game went on I didn't noticed the stretched visuals at all. I guess my eyes just adjusted. I hate to agree with critics but I feel like this is an excellent PC port and definitely worth my $20.

Never tried mouse and keyboard. I just can't fathom the perspective that you'd play a game like this with mouse and keyboard. I'm just not seeing any justification for it. If it works good for you though.

As for not like the puzzle crawler. I can't convince people to like that. Either you do or you don't. I will say what I love about the first few resident evils is the environment balance. Its not one of those irritating puzzle games where the puzzle exists in a vacuum and you're supposed to just magically figure it out, nor is it the newer resident evils and most other action games where they hand you an answer to a puzzle and give you a waypoint to plug it in.

They give you an area with a puzzle in it, a clue and several possible answers. It's up you to use process of elimination to figure it out. Not balls to the walls stupid hard but not boringly easy either.

Theres some slow parts to it if you don't know exactly what to do but they represent a very minuscule part of the game

Oh I'm not sure why but on default settings herbs looked Purple instead of red and the keypad in 003 looks purple its supposed to be red.

Last edited:
Does this still have the nightmare mode or whatever it's called that makes all the zombies invisible? I remember unlocking that on the GC version ages ago and getting about half way through before completely losing my nerve.

I remember this being one of the few games that I simply had to put down after playing for a few hours out of fear. Mind you I was 14 at the time.

And those of you complaining about graphics. I'd suggest playing it on an actual TV at a reasonable distance. Old games like this were never meant to be played sitting close to them on a computer monitor. It's like trying to play Super Mario 1 ft away. I always find it strange how your eyes get used to the older graphics after a while though.

And those of you complaining about graphics. I'd suggest playing it on an actual TV at a reasonable distance. Old games like this were never meant to be played sitting close to them on a computer monitor. It's like trying to play Super Mario 1 ft away. I always find it strange how your eyes get used to the older graphics after a while though.

The fuck are you talking about? the NES/SNES/PSX controller cords were like 2-3 feet long? i felt like i was always humping my damn tv. OH THATS RIGHT!!! i had beautiful couches that went unused cause i was forced to sit on a damn pillow on my hardwood floor:mad:

Does this still have the nightmare mode or whatever it's called that makes all the zombies invisible? I remember unlocking that on the GC version ages ago and getting about half way through before completely losing my nerve.

I remember this being one of the few games that I simply had to put down after playing for a few hours out of fear. Mind you I was 14 at the time.

I haven't unlocked it, but apparently the invisible mode is in this version. Every (canon) RE game through 4 has made me hesitate walking through doors and around corners. It was even more unnerving in CODE: Veronica when heartbeats were implemented.
I think the game looks fine, especially being 13 years old, but since you mention playing it on a TV, I'll do a test run on the PS3 into my HD CRT (150 lb widescreens ftw). I played it on the GC back in the day on an awesome 4:3 Sony, but I don't have that one anymore.

Anyone know how to get rid of the white border around the game? I disabled my 2nd and 3rd monitors, switched back and forth from windowed to fullscreen and still cant get rid of it. It kinda takes the dark scary mood away.

We Need More Spencer Mansions (The Jimquisition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3OcN2qmqo

Really funny part at the end about Dying light. my thoughts exactly

http://youtu.be/Dr3OcN2qmqo?t=6m40s

Anyone know how to get rid of the white border around the game? I disabled my 2nd and 3rd monitors, switched back and forth from windowed to fullscreen and still cant get rid of it. It kinda takes the dark scary mood away.

Not sure what youre referring to can you post a screen shot?

Last edited:
Back