The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Almost all vista drivers will work flawlessly with win7. Only unsigned drivers (HP certifies all their drivers with MS WHQL, so no issues with that :)) will see issues.

Wow that fast, thanks! What do You think, would Windows 7 64 bit(or 32) run OK, or would this set-up be to weak? My XP is ok, but just kind of bored on it....Thanks

I gotta check, since your HP may not come with win64 bit drivers, thought it doesn't really matter on our slimlines, there is no unique hw that isn't in MS' database.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I found out that the motherboard (M2NC51-AR (HermatiteXL)) that comes with my slimline (s3127c) has some kind of factory defect, which either prevents the PCI-e slot from ever being used, or else causes it to malfunction at some point. Has anyone else with the same Motherboard and/or Slimline model had the same problem? If so have you been able to fix it and how? I guess the next model up (the M2NC61-AR) fixed this problem.

The HematiteXL that came with my HP Pavilion s3020n slimline I believe had the factory defect you were referring: I had problems getting it to "wake up" from sleep/hibernation. It would also hang on boot, a problem that I have read elsewhere had something to do with the hdd spinning, Finally the board got to the point it wouldn't do anything: bllank screen, no boot, etc. Until the board finally croaked, I installed a Sapphire HD Radeon 4550 graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot and it worked fine. The defect didn't seem to have anything to do with the PCIe slot functioning as long as I could get the board up and running.

Last edited:
I found out that the motherboard (M2NC51-AR (HermatiteXL)) that comes with my slimline (s3127c) has some kind of factory defect, which either prevents the PCI-e slot from ever being used, or else causes it to malfunction at some point. Has anyone else with the same Motherboard and/or Slimline model had the same problem? If so have you been able to fix it and how? I guess the next model up (the M2NC61-AR) fixed this problem.

The HematiteXL that came with my HP Pavilion s3020n slimline I believe had the factory defect you were referring: I had problems getting it to "wake up" from sleep/hibernation. It would also hang on boot, a problem that I have read elsewhere had something to do with the hdd spinning, Finally the board got to the point it wouldn't do anything: bllank screen, no boot, etc. Until the board finally croaked, I installed a Sapphire HD Radeon 4550 graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot and it worked fine. The defect didn't seem to have anything to do with the PCIe slot functioning as long as I could get the board up and running.

HP got a class action lawsuit over that, and eventually extended all the warranties of the HematiteXL boards to Dec 2009. Around the same time I joined [H], lol. Anyhow, the offer is dead, now. It had to do with the nForce chip killing itself (and the PCIe lanes + IGP).

I'm so happy they posted that on their website! (Sarcasm!) I know if I asked about it (or maybe checked my warranty status back before Dec 2009) I would have found out. I've been planning to do serious upgrades to my slimline since summer 2008, and I finally got myself an HD 4550, not really a serious upgrade (I've been extremely low on money). There is no way to get a decent replacement anymore, and I'm not going to buy another ITX board. They are priced too high. I'm just going to save up for a brand new full size Gaming Rig. Will probably have to wait 4 months or so (I am currently unemployed). I've been reading this forum for 2 years now, hoping I could do the same to my slimline. But I've lost interest in Slimlines, mine's been nothing but a problem from the start. Will probably never even think about buying another HP or Dell again. This is goodbye. So long "The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread," I will miss reading you!

I'm so happy they posted that on their website! (Sarcasm!) I know if I asked about it (or maybe checked my warranty status back before Dec 2009) I would have found out. I've been planning to do serious upgrades to my slimline since summer 2008, and I finally got myself an HD 4550, not really a serious upgrade (I've been extremely low on money). There is no way to get a decent replacement anymore, and I'm not going to buy another ITX board. They are priced too high. I'm just going to save up for a brand new full size Gaming Rig. Will probably have to wait 4 months or so (I am currently unemployed). I've been reading this forum for 2 years now, hoping I could do the same to my slimline. But I've lost interest in Slimlines, mine's been nothing but a problem from the start. Will probably never even think about buying another HP or Dell again. This is goodbye. So long "The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread," I will miss reading you!

I'm sad to see you go :( HP took the page off their website some time after the warranty ended. The HematiteXL is a rather low point for HP and nVidia (nVidia was the primary party sued by HP, Dell, Apple, etc over their excessive amount of failing chipsets and GPUs). And I am not at all unhappy that nVidia was forced out of the chipset business by Intel. AMD chipsets from nVidia were always bested by AMD's own solutions in almost every way possible, and Intel-made chipsets for Intel CPU ran cooler, frequently attained higher OC, and didn't... die as much as nVidia's chipsets...

Hello new here and so happy to have found this place.. it's the only place I could find that talks specifically about HP Slimlines.. I have a s3400f

My VGA input is loose and has a green tint to it which is a real eye sore.. the only way to make it have any picture at all is to have the cord somewhat wrapped around something to stay in a certain spot.. I looked online and people talked about it being the video card but when I open it up I can't seem to see anything that looks like or says 'GeForce 6150'.

Does anybody know whats wrong? And is there anyway I could fix it myself?

Thank you!

Welcome to [H] :) One of the connectors from your motherboard's integrated GPU (6150SE) is loose. It's soldered in, however, so without soldering skills, it won't be easy, nor safe for the mobo...

I'd recommend picking up a cheap PCIe GPU from ebay or [H] sales forum. Something like a HD4350 or a 8400gs will do. Most should have a VGA port tucked in somewhere.

HOWEVER... there is the more likely cause. The VGA cable has gone bad. I'm willing to bet this is the issue, and not the port.

If the problem is solder connection, look for the thread in the graphics card section about reflowing solder to repair faulty connections. Something about baking in oven...

Guys, I really appreciate this thread as I had been working one of these for a friend, and the sucker died right in my fingers. it was one of those flaky Nvidia-based s3300f.

So would someone just tell me what the best one or two replacement boards have turned out to be?

I'd like to pull the processor and plug it in to a replacement

Acacia boards from HP. Not exactly cheap, but raelly, your only good option. These boards used a much later revision of the nForce controller, that was a single chip, and not two seperate chips. Acacia was also the revision that supported the new cpu microcode process (only useful for BIOS modding) and the simply awesome Phenom quads....

Hi everyone, loves this website! I apologize in advance for probably asking a question that has been answered already...I have a s3500f slimline and want to upgrade the video card to make my gaming experience a little better. I don't need anything super fast, and I would like to not upgrade th PSU if possible. Do the cards that were suggested earlier in these pages (page 169 - from over a year ago) still hold true?:

Again, any help would be most appreciated as I am not that computer savvy.

Thanks!!!!

Edit: After reading through more pages on this thread, I am thinking of buying the following:

380 Watt PSU - Anyone know if it will fit?? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4844034&sku=D15-1209
Will any MicroATX PSU fit? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4844029&sku=D15-1207

Sparkle Video Card - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5274421&sku=S15-0210

Will both of those fit and be relatively easy for a beginner to install? Thanks!!

If I can get away with just buying the video card, that is choice number one. Just not sure if my 160w PSU can handle it...

Last edited:
I have a Pavilion Slimline s3010.uk and the graphics are terrible. Tried putting in a new graphics card to the PCI-E slot, but it wouldn't recognise the new one or the old integrated graphics. I tried installing drivers first and disabling the old graphics, but then it just stopped recognising a monitor altogether. Help?

when you say "disabled" I'm assuming you did that in BIOS?

are you getting POST messages on the screen at startup, or anything for that matter?

The HP Slimline S3xxx variants can only fit a Flex-ATX style PSU inside the case - anything else will have to sit outside the case. If you are going to upgrade the PSU, I recommend the Sparkle SPI270LE.

As for the video card you listed, if you don't need an ultra-powerful gaming system, that card will work fine, but I don't know right off hand if it will work with the stock PSU. I think that it will, because it's under HP's 40W specified maximum power for a graphics card.

Last edited:
Halsey - I need to ask you a question.
I think I incorrectly identified the failed [apparent] mobo in my slimline - it is in fact the same as the one in your signature, the 'Acacia' M2N61-AR .
three questions:
1. is there a later rev than 1.02 of that board?
2. any known problems with the last BIOS update HP released for it?
3. if yours went toes-up, would you replace it with another of the same, or something else?

thx
c

The HP Slimline S3xxx variants can only fit a Flex-ATX style PSU inside the case - anything else will have to sit outside the case. If you are going to upgrade the PSU, I recommend the Sparkle SPI270LE.

As for the video card you listed, if you don't need an ultra-powerful gaming system, that card will work fine, but I don't know right off hand if it will work with the stock PSU. I think that it will, because it's under HP's 40W specified maximum power for a graphics card.
Forgot where we posted it, but Danny Bui had a link showing the actual power draw of the HD5570 being less than 25W :eek: (xbitlabs? iirc)
Halsey - I need to ask you a question.
I think I incorrectly identified the failed [apparent] mobo in my slimline - it is in fact the same as the one in your signature, the 'Acacia' M2N61-AR .
three questions:
1. is there a later rev than 1.02 of that board?
3. if yours went toes-up, would you replace it with another of the same, or something else?

thx
c

Acacia's are normally rather solid (relative to the quick dying HetatiteXL boards). The 1.02 version. as far as I know, is the last there was. ASUS and HP both went the mATX route for the S5000 slimlines :(

So...new question...having read all day trying to figure this all out, I think I have decided to go with an exernal PSU to get the power I want. So, my next question is...what kind of connector do I need? By this, I mean that most of the PSUs I've looked at have a 20+4 pin connector (whatever that means). Will that work on the s3500f slimline? Again, any help would be great.

I am about to pull the trigger on the following items and was hoping someone a lot more knowledgable about this stuff than me could let me know if it would work..

External 450W PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3287208&sku=C13-2500

GeForce 210 VC: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6896099

Connector adapter: http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-pin-to-24-pin-hp-slimline-atx-converter.htm

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
when you say "disabled" I'm assuming you did that in BIOS?

are you getting POST messages on the screen at startup, or anything for that matter?

In safe mode going through hardware. It's Windows Vista, read somewhere that you couldn't change it in BIOS.

The computer is starting up, but the monitor just says 'No signal,' as if there was nothing plugged in at all. After a while, the old card decided to switch on again, but I am still at a loss as to how to change it without losing the monitor completely.

just to provoke: have you considered going to laptop components to thin out consumption? laptop hard drives are as good as the big ones, laptop CD/DVD/RW-etc are good..... :confused:

[...]

Jeremyshaw posted some great advice for you. I just want to add that I have not had any problems with the latest BIOS update (5.18), however it's worth noting that the BIOS update apparently only works with Vista - some people have not been able to install the update because they were running Windows 7. As far as mobo replacement goes - Unless any new models caught my eye, I'd probably just get a replacement.

just to provoke: have you considered going to laptop components to thin out consumption? laptop hard drives are as good as the big ones, laptop CD/DVD/RW-etc are good..... :confused:

The original slimlines (s7xxx I think? - the ones with the gray exterior) were supposedly based on or contained laptop parts. It's been awhile since then, so it'd be interesting to see what benefits they offer. I'd imagine that a laptop hard drive could potentially give the slimline case an extra 1'' of breathing room.

Last edited:
There's actually a newish m-ITX form board from Intel that gets pretty good owner reviews - If you use Google Shopping and punch it in there you'll see sorta how it gets rated versus other m-ITX's - none of which get spectacularly high ratings but the Mobile-Intel type is the higher-rated.
That said, performance is going to be nothing like the AM2 board or other aftermarket choices. I have an Aopen [which I posted about yesterday.... problematic] Xccube that is based on Intel Mobile components & processor, and for what it is, it performs pretty well with either Win7 or better yet with XP. not like a big processor and fast bus, but if you use the top RAM and set the speed jumper at the top, it goes pretty good. Its also a favorite 'budget overclocker' - people safely run the ostensibly 1.8 ghz Pentium-M at 2.1 or so without excessive heat buildup

Jeremyshaw posted some great advice for you. I just want to add that I have not had any problems with the latest BIOS update (5.18), however it's worth noting that the BIOS update apparently only works with Vista - some people have not been able to install the update because they were running Windows 7. As far as mobo replacement goes - Unless any new models caught my eye, I'd probably just get a replacement.

The original slimlines (s7xxx I think? - the ones with the gray exterior) were supposedly based on or contained laptop parts. It's been awhile since then, so it'd be interesting to see what benefits they offer. I'd imagine that a laptop hard drive could potentially give the slimline case an extra 1'' of breathing room.

I am so incredibly happy I found this thread, and that it's still active.

I have a HP Slimline, model s3750t, with a few tweaks from the standard model, I have 3 GB ram, and a Nvidia 9500GT for a video card, Vista 64 bit. I'm hoping to do a couple upgrades to make things a bit smoother, hopefully just a video card and I'm sure I'll need to up the PSU a bit.

The problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing here, I've cracked open my case a couple times to blow it out, and try to figure out why my current video card is making horrendous noises, but that's about as far as my computer knowledge goes.

I would really, really appreciate any input as to what I'd be able to do with what I have, I'm really hoping to not have to buy/build a whole new computer. My current concern is that it sounds like my video card is going to die soon with the amount of noise it makes.

I am so incredibly happy I found this thread, and that it's still active.

I have a HP Slimline, model s3750t, with a few tweaks from the standard model, I have 3 GB ram, and a Nvidia 9500GT for a video card, Vista 64 bit. I'm hoping to do a couple upgrades to make things a bit smoother, hopefully just a video card and I'm sure I'll need to up the PSU a bit.

The problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing here, I've cracked open my case a couple times to blow it out, and try to figure out why my current video card is making horrendous noises, but that's about as far as my computer knowledge goes.

I would really, really appreciate any input as to what I'd be able to do with what I have, I'm really hoping to not have to buy/build a whole new computer. My current concern is that it sounds like my video card is going to die soon with the amount of noise it makes.

To be more specific, from what I can tell:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PSYLQ/ref=oss_product for a PSU
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ORMYO/ref=oss_product for a video card

Both should work? I don't know if there's anything else I need to buy or replace while I replace these two things.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just bumping my query about anyone successfully trying the Palit Low Profile GTS 450.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261078

...and if so, what type of power supply were you using and what were noise/heat levels like under use.

Thanks!

(specs say it takes less Wattage and Amps than the Sparkle 9800GT Low Profile, which I'm currently using with a 270 Watt replacement PSU)

To be more specific, from what I can tell:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PSYLQ/ref=oss_product for a PSU
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ORMYO/ref=oss_product for a video card

Both should work? I don't know if there's anything else I need to buy or replace while I replace these two things.

You're both in a similar boat... :p

anyhow, sab, that will work, since FSP did buy out Sparkle a while back... anyhow, also read the first page as to Archea's noisey experience with this PSU.

You're both in a similar boat... :p

anyhow, sab, that will work, since FSP did buy out Sparkle a while back... anyhow, also read the first page as to Archea's noisey experience with this PSU.

Picked up the Raedon 5570, and it doesn't fit in my case. My current card has one port on the back, the 5570 has two, doesn't fit by a good inch or so.

I don't really know what my options are. Buy a new case and keep this card? (I have absolutely no idea how to move everything from one case to another). Is there another card I can look at that would be comparable that would actually fit in my case?

Last edited:
Uh, like the thing you'd plug your monitor into. There's a blue one and a white one on the 5570 and just a white one on the card I have now.

Uh, like the thing you'd plug your monitor into. There's a blue one and a white one on the 5570 and just a white one on the card I have now.

Is the card ~4" tall (the metal bracket) and is the PCB shorter than that? Or is it about the same height?

Is the card ~4" tall (the metal bracket) and is the PCB shorter than that? Or is it about the same height?

The new card is about 5", old one 4". Horizontally. The height of the card is the same as the 9500GT, less than an inch. I don't know what PCB is. Sorry =/

Does it look *somewhat* like this? Disreguard the red color (the PCB is red on this card, for future reference :)) and disreguard the ASUS fan+HS (metal GPU cooler).

If so, does it come with a bracket like the one on the left?

They are for fitting into a slim (or low profile) case like our beloved HP Slimlines :p

Okay, give me about.... 15min. I'll create instructions :)

Yes, looks just like that.

The card I just bought is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ORMYO/ref=oss_product exactly. It came with two metal brackets like that, but I have no idea what they're for.

Okay, tools required?

~4.5mm inner diameter hex wrench or similar tool
The bracket with two bigger holes in it, instead of the one with just one hole
The HP Slimline nearby :)

First step: Taking care to discharge any of your static electricity along the HP Slimline's case (just touch it...)

Remove the ribbon cable. Just pull it "up" (assuming the card is laying flat).

Unscrew the two hex bolts flanking the DVI port

Like so.

Remove the big bracket :)

Attach the smaller bracket with the same two "hex bolts"

Done!! :)

That should be it, let me know if anything doesn't got the same way for you :)

I need to acquire one of these hex wrenches first. My only other problem I foresee is when I took out my current video card awhile ago, there was a little tiny white cable that connected it to the motherboard. I don't see anywhere on this video card where that would connect, am I missing something here?

Thank you so much for the little tutorial!

Back