The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

I actually think the person that gave this to me knocked the vga connected lose.

Well... even if loose, VGA is analog, you still should be able to see something, even if it's a static blizzard.

Anyhow, install the PCIe card, unplug your system, wait about a min, then remove the BIOS battery for about 15 sec, then install it back in, boot up, and be patient for about a min, and cycle through your monitor's inputs to see what's up.

BIOS battery should be under your DVD drive, which *should* require two screws and a tab to slide out a bit.

Could it be the gigabyte ati4350 used to much power?

^didn't work

Last edited:
My father recently picked up a s5610f about a week ago during the Black Friday craze to replace an old Dell machine we had. Now that I've gotten a chance to get to play around with these newer slimline models, I have to say I'm really impressed.

The stock configuration was sufficient for his basic needs (email, web, etc.) but what really astounds me is the upgrade options. The motherboard in the s5610f is capable of supporting AMD's Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core processors and up to 8GB of PC3-10600 RAM - that's a great deal of processing power for such a small machine!

What baffles me the most is the lack of a PCIEx16 slot, leaving virtually no option for upgrading the video card. Why HP decided that this model didn't deserve a dedicated graphics card is beyond me. Everything else about the computer has excellent upgrade potential, but with only two PCIEx1 slots, there isn't much you can do for the graphics. Luckily, the rather powerful integrated Radeon HD 3000 should be more than enough for everything except games.

Still, overall, I'm really impressed with what HP has done with these machines. At first I didn't really care for them because of the appearance makeover, but the increased power of these machines was enough to win me over. While I don't think my father will ever acquiesce to a hexa-core upgrade, it's cool to have that option. :D Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the new slimlines.

Hmmm... that's interesting. Also, looks like HP finally ditched the old nForce4 chipsets, lol :p

Hello everyone,

I inherited an HP Pavilion Slimline S3000 from my brother that I intend on using as an HTPC. I want to upgrade the video card consistent with the recommendations made by members in this thread but I have couple questions:

First, the general consensus seems to be that if you don't upgrade the PSU, the best card is an ATI 4550. Previously I read that putting an ATI card in this computer may cause issues with the computer coming out of sleep mode. I'm not sure where I read this but can anyone comment on whether this will be an issue or whether there are known fixes.

Second, I'd like use the computer as a DVR or PVR. The model I am getting does not have a built-in tuner card so I'd need to purchase one. If I upgrade the video card without upgrading the PSU, will I be able to add a tuner card? In other words, can I add both a video card and a tuner card without upgrading the PSU?

Thanks,

Kevin

If you motherboard is the IPIPL-AR (loctite) the SAPPHIRE 100252-1GL Radeon HD 4550 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card WILL NOT work

Most like the 512 GB one won't work either

Hello everyone,

I inherited an HP Pavilion Slimline S3000 from my brother that I intend on using as an HTPC. I want to upgrade the video card consistent with the recommendations made by members in this thread but I have couple questions:

First, the general consensus seems to be that if you don't upgrade the PSU, the best card is an ATI 4550. Previously I read that putting an ATI card in this computer may cause issues with the computer coming out of sleep mode. I'm not sure where I read this but can anyone comment on whether this will be an issue or whether there are known fixes.

Second, I'd like use the computer as a DVR or PVR. The model I am getting does not have a built-in tuner card so I'd need to purchase one. If I upgrade the video card without upgrading the PSU, will I be able to add a tuner card? In other words, can I add both a video card and a tuner card without upgrading the PSU?

Thanks,

Kevin
I have a 4550 on my HTPC (not an HP Slimline, but a Dell Vostro that's similar in size) and it wakes up from sleep and hibernate just find. I have an external TV tuner (via USB). Power wise, you should be fine with a similar setup, even if you get an internal TV tuner that obviously draws more power from the PSU than my external TV tuner.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SJLLTQ...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001SJLLTQ

There is also the DDR3 version. Out of stock at Newegg, but Amazon seems to have it. I have one: it works with stock power supply. DDR2 versions probably work also. Be aware that these cards may get a mite warm although some [H] members are OK with 60C idle and 100C stress. Page 1 discusses case fan solutions if you prefer lower temps. Reduced mine to 40C idle/60C stress.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SJLLTQ...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001SJLLTQ

There is also the DDR3 version. Out of stock at Newegg, but Amazon seems to have it. I have one: it works with stock power supply. DDR2 versions probably work also. Be aware that these cards may get a mite warm although some [H] members are OK with 60C idle and 100C stress. Page 1 discusses case fan solutions if you prefer lower temps. Reduced mine to 40C idle/60C stress.

Thanks for the info... I ordered one last night. Should be here Thursday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Does anyone want to comment on a TV Tuner Card? I only see a few options for PCI and low-profile. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Especially from those who have the stock PSU and upgraded video card. Thanks,

Kevin

Hi, my slimline specs are:

Model:slimline s3015.uk
Board:M2NC51-AR

I am currenty using a sempron 3500 2.00 ghz with 2.5 GB ram and built in graphics.
I have just attemted to upgrade with a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor, but now although everything spins and lights up i get no signal to the monitor, the new cpu doesnt seem to kick in even though its a 65w processor in the correct socket.

I have just forked out 50 pounds sterling for this thing guys, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I've already been there but I've got Win 7.
I guess i'll have to downgrade.
But are you sure its my old BIOS thats the problem as opposed to a hardware issue? and that the newer 5.07 version will allow the cpu to run?

Cheers

Hello,

I'm not really sure, but Fabolouso has mentioned the 5600+ Brisbane working on the HematiteXL mobo (you have) with the 5.07 BIOS.

Do you have a spare HDD? Just install Vista to that..

Hi folks!

Thinking about upgrading the graphics card on my S5280T slimline to Geforce 4X0 support. I'm currently running an 9800GT low profile. Thinking about either of these in order to get DirectX 11. The power requirements are less than the card I'm currently running (on upgraded PSU).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...low_profile_video_card-_-14-261-078-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...low_profile_video_card-_-14-127-535-_-Product

Anyone have one of these in their box? I'm thinking of going with the 450 for Crysis next year. :)

Review of 450 reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf106-radeon-hd-5750,2734.html

Last edited:
Can anyone point me to a good graphics card for the Slimline S3300F?

Compusa sold me a PNY Verto Nvidia GeForce GT220 1024mb DDR2 . And doing more reading this one will not work..

I am needing one for photos, as the stock chip is garbage.

Thanks
Chris

Hi guys...

I've got a HP Slimline s3230.uk with a 160w standard psu. I'm thinking of upgrading its graphic card. At the moment, it has a ATI HD 2350 in it. I'm thinking of getting a low-profile ATI 5570. Can I upgrade the power supply from a different HP Slimline model that has 230w psu?? Will that be sufficient??

Thanks
Izzie

HELP ME!
I have an HP Slimline s3127c.
I decided to get a Sapphire Radeon HD 4550, so I can at least play games on low detail while I save up for a gaming rig.
When I install the GPU, having disabled the integrated graphics, my computer doesn't recognize that their is anything there. My monitor doesn't get a signal from it, and I get no "new hardware" popup in windows. The 4550 doesn't show up in Hardware manager.
I put it in another pc I have, and it works just fine. So it wasn't DOA. I have tried reinstalling windows, clearing the bios, reinstalling all the drivers and the bios. Nothing I do will get it to work. Whenever someone else has had the problem and posted it on the forum, no one has resolved it, or at least haven't posted it. I can't find the solution anywhere. please help!!!

Just wanted to update my post about the 9800GT low profile in the S5000 series case. Turns out it is completely stable under full load - IF you are in a 75 degree ambient environment. Since I've moved the rig to my work/studio 3 months ago - which is in a centrally cooled/heated office building, I have had great gaming (yeah, at work) performance with no glitches.

Can anyone point me to a good graphics card for the Slimline S3300F?

Compusa sold me a PNY Verto Nvidia GeForce GT220 1024mb DDR2 . And doing more reading this one will not work..

I am needing one for photos, as the stock chip is garbage.

Thanks
Chris

Photoshop? Any AMD or nVidia GPU will work fine (HD2000 and newer, 8000 series/200 series and newer). Though it's only for certain actions and filters.

HELP ME!
I have an HP Slimline s3127c.
I decided to get a Sapphire Radeon HD 4550, so I can at least play games on low detail while I save up for a gaming rig.
When I install the GPU, having disabled the integrated graphics, my computer doesn't recognize that their is anything there. My monitor doesn't get a signal from it, and I get no "new hardware" popup in windows. The 4550 doesn't show up in Hardware manager.
I put it in another pc I have, and it works just fine. So it wasn't DOA. I have tried reinstalling windows, clearing the bios, reinstalling all the drivers and the bios. Nothing I do will get it to work. Whenever someone else has had the problem and posted it on the forum, no one has resolved it, or at least haven't posted it. I can't find the solution anywhere. please help!!!

Only plug the monitor's video cable into the HD4550, and disconnect any video cable attached to the motherboard.

Boot it, wait about 5 min, then it should work.You can only use one GPU or the other, not both at once :(

Hi guys...

I've got a HP Slimline s3230.uk with a 160w standard psu. I'm thinking of upgrading its graphic card. At the moment, it has a ATI HD 2350 in it. I'm thinking of getting a low-profile ATI 5570. Can I upgrade the power supply from a different HP Slimline model that has 230w psu?? Will that be sufficient??

Thanks
Izzie

According to xbitlab's contemporary 2010 GPU review, the HD5570 will work with the stock 160W PSU (only drawing 24W, real world, from the wall - HD recommends a 40W limit for most S3000 slimlines, even those configured with a Phenom quad [case in point, my S3430F] :p).

The newer 230W PSU for the S5000 series is too bit to fit into our old slimlines :(

I Have Disabled The 6150LE's drivers, changed the dedicated gpu to PCI-e in the bios, installed the 4550, and plugged my monitor into only it. Window starts up just fine (at least the sounds of it starting up), but the monitor says it is not recieving a signal from any source. As though it is not plugged in. I then am able to plug it into the Motherboard, and then get a video signal, when the integrated graphics were supposed to be disabled.
According to HP, when a video card is in the PCI-e slot, the integrated graphics are supposed to be automatically disabled, and the new graphics set to default. This is exactly what happened when I put the GPU in my parent's HP PC, the onboard graphics drivers didn't even need to be disabled in hardware manager. It was automatic, and was exactly what I expected to happen in my slimline. I've searched the internet, and have tried everything I can. I'm running out of patience... I will probably just RMA this thing and wait till I have enough money for a real rig. Unless I can figure it out in the next 24-48 hours.
Also, the GPU's heat sink is warm, so I know it is recieving power.

Last edited:
According to xbitlab's contemporary 2010 GPU review, the HD5570 will work with the stock 160W PSU (only drawing 24W, real world, from the wall - HD recommends a 40W limit for most S3000 slimlines, even those configured with a Phenom quad [case in point, my S3430F] :p).

The newer 230W PSU for the S5000 series is too bit to fit into our old slimlines :(

Thanks jeremyshaw... Well, I found that some S3000s (s3842uk, for example) uses 230w psu.. If I could get one of those into my current S3230.uk, whats the most powerful graphic card can I put in my pc then??? Recommendations??? :p

Izzie

What about the power supply? I was talking with compusa and they recommended a power supply and a adaptor for the mobo. So looking at a 300w one that will be outside the case.

I Have Disabled The 6150LE's drivers, changed the dedicated gpu to PCI-e in the bios, installed the 4550, and plugged my monitor into only it. Window starts up just fine (at least the sounds of it starting up), but the monitor says it is not recieving a signal from any source. As though it is not plugged in. I then am able to plug it into the Motherboard, and then get a video signal, when the integrated graphics were supposed to be disabled.
According to HP, when a video card is in the PCI-e slot, the integrated graphics are supposed to be automatically disabled, and the new graphics set to default. This is exactly what happened when I put the GPU in my parent's HP PC, the onboard graphics drivers didn't even need to be disabled in hardware manager. It was automatic, and was exactly what I expected to happen in my slimline. I've searched the internet, and have tried everything I can. I'm running out of patience... I will probably just RMA this thing and wait till I have enough money for a real rig. Unless I can figure it out in the next 24-48 hours.
Also, the GPU's heat sink is warm, so I know it is recieving power.
Okay... I dunno if this sounds silly to you. Can you, after installing the GPU, reset the BIOS? Like, install GPU, boot, F2, wait a bit, arrow(s), f10, y, enter?

Except I don't know the order anymore :( I remember doing something silly like this on a HP Slimline machine, once.
Thanks jeremyshaw... Well, I found that some S3000s (s3842uk, for example) uses 230w psu.. If I could get one of those into my current S3230.uk, whats the most powerful graphic card can I put in my pc then??? Recommendations??? :p

Izzie
IF you can get one in, and it works, HD5750 LP from Powercolor. Though, as the UK operates on 220V, watch out. My limited knowledge of power supplies tells me to be wary of the red power factor conversion switch on the back of our slimline PSU... The higher rating may be different for US 115V homes (I really don't know what I am saying - ask Zero82z or Paul Johnson - both [h] members or start a thread to this effect).
Yes I am running CS 4.

Then any ATi or nVidia HD2000+/8000+/200+ series card will do. Photoshop CS4 takes very limited advantage of GPU functionality to justify it. Though since it uses OpenGL to accelerate it's funtionality... I dunno, actually. I didn't see any benefits to using Photoshop CS5 with or without a decent GPU (Phenom II 550BE with and without a HD5570 installed). I do minor photo editing work (D90 is all I got) and a fair bit of vector art for work.

Though I have seen some ramblings on the internet on how 512MB+ memory on a GPU will help photoshop in the few filters that use GPU acceleration.

here is some better info:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

AFAIK, the main advantage of using a GPU is for smooth zooming, and "snapshot" zooming (i.e, it allows you to quickly zoom out by holding a key, and quickly zoom into another section without any wait, hitching, or stuttering).

I use CS4 on a Mac and PC. I had to turn off GPU acceleration on the Mac because it has a Geforce 9400M processor that only uses 256MB 'shared' memory. Had random lockups when using certain features until I switched back to unaccelerated.

Hi, long time no seen....Nice to see that this thread is still going strong! My slightly upgraded slimline is still going strong, no issues at all, all hardware remain unchanged since previous post.

I wonder what would be the chances to run windows 7 on this rig? It is Vista capable but newer installed that one. Especially worried about the mobo drivers, noting on the HP pages on W7 only Vista. Thanks for any comments.

Hi guys,
I live in the uk and currently have a s3531.uk model. I'm planning to upgrade the power supply and graphics card to the geforce 9800gt low profile card, but have had some trouble finding the most suitable PSU. I haven't been able to find the Sparkle 270w or In-win 300w in the uk, but I have been able to find the Shuttle pc60 300w PSU. The problem is that i'm not sure how reliable this PSU is or wether it will even work, and haven't managed to locate any posts of anyone reporting how well it works in their slimline.

Does anyone know wether the pc60 will work or know of anyone that has successfully used one in their slimeline?

Also, will I still need the molex to SATA adapter for the pc60 and is the one in the following link the right one?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Adapt...TG/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1293566072&sr=1-14

Any help is much appreciated guys, thanks for reading.

Hi, long time no seen....Nice to see that this thread is still going strong! My slightly upgraded slimline is still going strong, no issues at all, all hardware remain unchanged since previous post.

I wonder what would be the chances to run windows 7 on this rig? It is Vista capable but newer installed that one. Especially worried about the mobo drivers, noting on the HP pages on W7 only Vista. Thanks for any comments.
Almost all vista drivers will work flawlessly with win7. Only unsigned drivers (HP certifies all their drivers with MS WHQL, so no issues with that :)) will see issues.
Hi guys,
I live in the uk and currently have a s3531.uk model. I'm planning to upgrade the power supply and graphics card to the geforce 9800gt low profile card, but have had some trouble finding the most suitable PSU. I haven't been able to find the Sparkle 270w or In-win 300w in the uk, but I have been able to find the Shuttle pc60 300w PSU. The problem is that i'm not sure how reliable this PSU is or wether it will even work, and haven't managed to locate any posts of anyone reporting how well it works in their slimline.

Does anyone know wether the pc60 will work or know of anyone that has successfully used one in their slimeline?

Also, will I still need the molex to SATA adapter for the pc60 and is the one in the following link the right one?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Adapt...TG/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1293566072&sr=1-14

Any help is much appreciated guys, thanks for reading.

PC60, AFAIK, is just the PC50 with a newer rating? That adaptor is the correct one. Though I thought the PC60 had it's own SATA links? Maybe I am wrong :p

Welcome to the [H]!

Back