The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

I'm not sure how I feel about the acer x32 FP for gaming. Coming from 2560x1440, seems like games don't increase your fov with the 4k res, they just make everything bigger to fill the size.
No duh the fov didn't increase, the aspect ratio is the exact same.

what do you mean? the fov can increase with the same aspect ratio. their both 16:9 screens but the fov should increase with higher resolution.
FOV depends on the aspect ratio, not the resolution.
If approached properly it should also depend on the size of the display and the distance it is from the viewer.
But since it's impossible to know the latter and quite a bit of a hassle to calculate the former 100% of games use only the display size ratio to calculate FOV.
Which is also why every game should have a FOV tweaking option since there is no "proper" FOV in existence.

what do you mean? the fov can increase with the same aspect ratio. their both 16:9 screens but the fov should increase with higher resolution.
Has a general rule for 3d software there a complete disconnect between scene space and monitor space, for the size of what you see to be independent of resolution, FOV is what you want them to be and can be anything regardless of resolution, sitting-distance-screen size, aspect ratio, personal preference, etc.. (you will rarely it to be so different that 1440p would be an issue)

They make things the 3d object bigger in pixel count not in screen size and for movies or games that exactly what people usually want, that the size the game/movie creators wanted for the objects to be in our screen.

Console for example are often played on 4k tv, but will often have a small FOV because of the assumption you seat father away from the screen despite being higher res than the average pc monitor, making it more natural (imagine the monitor a window into the world and the closer you seat the large you see on both side)

I'm not sure how I feel about the acer x32 FP for gaming. Coming from 2560x1440, seems like games don't increase your fov with the 4k res, they just make everything bigger to fill the size. Its all really sharp though, but I feel like I have tunnel vision while playing now, I don't feel like I have much peripheral vision.

I do really like the increased PPI and the colors are sooo much better than than my TN, if I send this back I have to get an IPS.
Both 1440P and 4K are 16:9, so they use the same FOV. You could use a wider resolution on the X32 with black bars above and below to get a wider FOV. Several games also allow to change the FOV via in-game settings.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
You can adjust FOV to increase your viewable real estate in games that support it (basically a camera zoom feature) - most fps and tps games have an adjustment, but games won’t do it automatically based on different 16:9 resolutions, which makes sense.

damnt you guys are right. I compared the same wallpaper with 2 different resolution versions and they are the same.

IPS glow of Acer X32 FP vs. Cooler Master GP27U with local dimming enabled:
933440_1699271120793.png
The X32FP is very acceptable especially over 1000-nits. The PG27UQ model I got was like your GP27U, but with Halo and IPS-glow covered all over the screen. Mainly has to do with panel lottery also.

I'm shopping for the same type of monitor. Perhaps also look at the Lenovo Legion Y32p-30 (my top candidate at the moment) and the Gigabyte M32U. A short comparison of 32GR93-U, Y32p-30, and M32U by Monitors Unboxed.
So I got myself one of those Lenovo Y32p-30 monitors. I've had it for less than 24 hours, but here are my initial impressions:

Negatives:
  • One dead (dark) pixel in the upper left corner. On a 96 dpi panel (e.g. 24" 1080p) this would be super annoying and an instant return, but at this panel's 140 dpi it's not as serious a problem as I'd expected. Despite knowing where to look for it it's invisible to me in movies and games. Not sure about office work yet, but it's not the deal breaker I thought it would be, at least not being in the periphery. (My vision is so-so though; I should really get new glasses.)
  • The on screen menu is annoying. It takes ~1.5 s to appear after the button is pressed, which is long enough to feel I have to wait for it every time I want to make an adjustment. And the little joystick thingy is fiddly and, in conjunction with its placement, requires a surprising amount of effort to control to avoid e.g. selecting an item instead of the intended menu navigation. (On this size monitor I think a better placement would be on/behind the lower bezel, closer to the center.) My arm/shoulder actually hurts now! This is a rather big negative for me with this monitor!
  • The IPS glow is as bad as - or even worse than? - on my previous monitor, an HP LP2475w manufactured in Dec 2008! So that's disappointing, although perhaps specific to IPS technology in general and not to this model per se. (But come on, no progress in 15 years?)
  • There outer 5 cm or so on the sides have noticeable vignetting. I think this is due to the inherent viewing angle at this size of monitor in combination with IPS. I'm sitting at a comfortable 80 cm distance though so not particularly close. Again, disappointing.
  • I experience a tint variation where, if I sit right in front of the screen, the right side looks colder than the left. This is very sensitive to viewing position though: move just a few centimeters to the left and the image is balanced; a few more centimeters still and the left side looks colder than the right.
  • The image is strangely washed out. Not sure what this is about - probably some setting? Will have to look into it further. Edit: Turns out this is the Sharpness setting that by default is set to 50 (%). This smears out fine white text on black background, e.g. in a terminal window. :banghead: Set to 75 or 100 this effect disappears.
  • There's a very faint squealing/hissing noise from the internal PSU of the monitor. It's not audible to me in front of the monitor - and I have good hearing for a 45 yo - but this might be an issue in a setting where two people sit at desks facing each other.
Positives:
  • 140 dpi is very nice! Text is clear and crisp.
  • I think I could quickly get used to this screen size. :)
I have another 10 days or so to decide if I want to keep it or not; I am undecided for now. Perhaps IPS simply isn't ideal for this size and it would be better to get a 27" 1440p monitor instead, and then wait/hope for OLEDs to mature enough to work well for office work...

Last edited:
So I'm looking at the lagom.nl gamma test using my new monitor above, and the results are just completely out there no matter what I do. I obviously tried the monitor's own gamma controls, as well as played with contrast, brightness, color temperatures etc. I also tried software gamma compensation using xgamma (for linux/X), but I cannot really affect the results. (All other tests from lagom.nl looks good-to-great.)

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the gamma test itself. Do you guys get the expected ~2.2 values on your monitors?

Edit: For some reason it seems I was served a scaled/resized version of the gamma test image in which the gamma values read as apprx 1.3/1.6/1.8 instead of the normal 2.2. Rebooting to a different distro I get a non-scaled version where the values read as they should. So not an issue with the monitor! Sorry for the noise.

Last edited:
I have another 10 days or so to decide if I want to keep it or not; I am undecided for now. Perhaps IPS simply isn't ideal for this size and it would be better to get a 27" 1440p monitor instead, and then wait/hope for OLEDs to mature enough to work well for office work...
To sum things up: I've decided to keep this monitor. I *love* the size and resolution, and the dead pixel seems to have self-healed somehow! (I didn't know that was possible; perhaps it needed a few warmup-cooldown cycles after being trasported in 0 °C conditions?)

I'm not thrilled about IPS glow, vignetting, and the annoying menu, but I really don't know what I would get instead if I turned this one back. And I don't think there's any going back to my old 24" 1920x1200 HP LP2475w... cheers to 14 years of faithful service though!

Reactions: Xar
like this
I ended up returning the acer x32 fp and bought a gigabyte m27u for $389 from newegg yesterday, their monitor deals are really good right now. I'm curious if theres any new 28-30" monitors coming. More size choices for 4k would be nice. From what I read all 28" 4k ones are Innolux panels and have a stretched resolution. I think 28-30" would be better than 32".

I ended up returning the acer x32 fp and bought a gigabyte m27u for $389 from newegg yesterday, their monitor deals are really good right now. I'm curious if theres any new 28-30" monitors coming. More size choices for 4k would be nice. From what I read all 28" 4k ones are Innolux panels and have a stretched resolution. I think 28-30" would be better than 32".
Nothing stretched about the Innolux panels. I've been using a dual Samsung G70A 28" 4K 144 Hz setup for a good amount of time. They are pretty decent if you can get them for cheap on sale or used. Absolutely garbage tier HDR of course.

We are still in this situation where if you want "this, but with good HDR" the price skyrockets and you run into all kinds of compromises.

Nothing stretched about the Innolux panels. I've been using a dual Samsung G70A 28" 4K 144 Hz setup for a good amount of time. They are pretty decent if you can get them for cheap on sale or used. Absolutely garbage tier HDR of course.

We are still in this situation where if you want "this, but with good HDR" the price skyrockets and you run into all kinds of compromises.
I think this is in reference to the gap between pixel rows.

they are stretched: https://www.reddit.com/comments/17rp1xh/comment/k8m6im9

its also mentioned in the rtings review for the gigabyte m28u: "Added a note in Text Clarity to say that square images are slightly stretched horizontally, although it isn't a major concern. Also confirmed that 1440p works with the PS5."

normal screen:
View: https://imgur.com/ELBkUNr
innolux:
View: https://imgur.com/OvqXGqT

Last edited:
they are stretched: https://www.reddit.com/comments/17rp1xh/comment/k8m6im9

its also mentioned in the rtings review for the gigabyte m28u: "Added a note in Text Clarity to say that square images are slightly stretched horizontally, although it isn't a major concern. Also confirmed that 1440p works with the PS5."

normal screen:
View: https://imgur.com/ELBkUNr
innolux:
View: https://imgur.com/OvqXGqT

Ok that's very weird. I tried my hardest to compare to my Macbook Pro 16" screen vs my two Samsung G70A and just can't tell whether scaling is used or not. If there is any stretching it's extremely subtle. I'm not about to break out rulers because I haven't noticed any issue using these displays for a year now.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Ok that's very weird. I tried my hardest to compare to my Macbook Pro 16" screen vs my two Samsung G70A and just can't tell whether scaling is used or not. If there is any stretching it's extremely subtle. I'm not about to break out rulers because I haven't noticed any issue using these displays for a year now.
About 2.5% per rtings, aka negligible.

Hi. Have been following this thread for quite a while and now getting ready to buy. But not sure which one. Currently thinking between Gigabyte M32U and Dell G3223Q. My budget is about 600 USD. Will use it in dual monitor setup. Mainly office work but occasional gaming. HDR not really important.
What is very important to me and not mentioned too often is that a lot of monitors suffer with blurry edge when viewing from slight angle. This is very bothersome to me in dual monitor scenario. Do you know if the Dell or Gigabyte suffers with that?
Also would definitely use the M32U KVM to connect my work laptop when WFH. But can figure out external KVM...

I love X32FP, I think that is a super awesome monitor, incredible HDR performance for the zone count but I really can't live with the fact that HDR and SDR doesn't have a separate setting for the local dimming ON/OFF...
I would like to have local dimming on with HDR and off with SDR.

Every time I switch from HDR/SDR and the opposite, I need to manually enter the OSD and change the local dimming setting.
This is unacceptable to me.

dgrdsv: yeah, but does any of them fix the issues with OLED that makes one choose IPS instead? That is, burn-in and text clarity?
For the text clarity issue, I don't think we've had a oled that offers above 110 ppi. 32" 4k has about 136 ppi if I remember right so the increased ppi should help.

Would burn in be a bigger problem with higher ppi though?

For the text clarity issue, I don't think we've had a oled that offers above 110 ppi. 32" 4k has about 136 ppi if I remember right so the increased ppi should help.

Would burn in be a bigger problem with higher ppi though?
PPI shouldn't matter to burn in. That is really going to be dictated more by the technology of the panel, and how well the cool it.

World’s first 5088 mini-LED partition by Redmagic. Review by Snowman. Summary: haloing appears to be improved, color gamut could be better, uniformity average. Response time avg. brightness high but has some ABL. worth a watch. Appears to be an AUO panel? I didn’t see this on any roadmap.

View: https://youtu.be/6s5E1uujK9Q?si=-PupHzpLxUVB3DfX

I was pretty excited until I saw this is only a 27" panel. Any word of a 32" version of this? I don't think the ABL is a huge deal since realistically nobody would want to stare at a 1700 nits full field white screen for more than 10 seconds anyway.

World’s first 5088 mini-LED partition by Redmagic. Review by Snowman. Summary: haloing appears to be improved, color gamut could be better, uniformity average. Response time avg. brightness high but has some ABL. worth a watch. Appears to be an AUO panel? I didn’t see this on any roadmap.

View: https://youtu.be/6s5E1uujK9Q?si=-PupHzpLxUVB3DfX

Tempted. But without DP 2.1 or G-Sync Module, the price has to be reasonable.

First up is their new G80SD model. This is 32″ in size and will be Samsung’s own utilisation of the Samsung Display QD-OLED panel that’s already been adopted by other manufacturers like Asus and MSI for instance. This offers a 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution, combined with a 240Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms G2G response time spec. They have chosen to create a flat format monitor instead of curved like Dell did with their 32″ 4K 240Hz QD-OLED offering which is quite surprising given their past focus on curved monitors. We think flat format is more appropriate for 16:9 screens of this size to be honest.
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/samsung-announce-expanded-odyssey-oled-line-up-for-ces-2024

I've read a lot of complaints about the OLED G9 and G8 functionality. Samsung smart TV software is frankly shit and I'd rather not have any of that built in. So for displays using these panels I'd definitely go for some other manufacturer.
Owning a Samsung TV, the fact that they use the same firmware on the monitors is a turn off for sure. It isn't AWFUL, but I really don't like it. Not great for a TV, and I really wouldn't want it on a monitor.

That looks almost exactly what I would want from an OLED monitor. Disappointing that it's only DP 1.4 though, when DP 2 has been around for a few years already. The only real problem is that I wouldn't want to keep it turned on all the time, to avoid burn-in, which means it would have to be a 3rd monitor, but I don't have room for a 3rd monitor.

TFT Central said:
1.5 million:1 contrast ratio
TFT Central said:
basically infinite contrast ratio
Hmmm... Infinity must be a lot smaller than I thought it was.

Disappointing that it's only DP 1.4 though, when DP 2 has been around for a few years already.
DP 1.4 with DSC will stick for many more years because it is infinitely more compatible than using DP 2.1 (still with DSC most likely) which can be used only by a couple of products right now.
The switch will happen when 1.4+DSC will start to actually not being enough. That's either >240Hz on 4K OLED or 8K+240Hz displays.
My personal future dream monitor is an 8K 42" display capable of running in 2X refresh in 4K res. May not be that far off even.

DP 1.4 with DSC will stick for many more years because it is infinitely more compatible than using DP 2.1 (still with DSC most likely) which can be used only by a couple of products right now.
The switch will happen when 1.4+DSC will start to actually not being enough. That's either >240Hz on 4K OLED or 8K+240Hz displays.
My personal future dream monitor is an 8K 42" display capable of running in 2X refresh in 4K res. May not be that far off even.
Yeah, not sure why DP1.4 + DSC turns people off who likely have never even used it. Your eyes can't even tell, it legit looks amazing and is "virtually lossless", mostly due to how the human eye sees motion and colors... its infinitely better than chroma sampling for those who have used that prior to DSC.
Hell, even the nvidia flagship GPU, which is the only thing capable of pushinh 144+ at 4K is DP1.4.

Yeah, not sure why DP1.4 + DSC turns people off who likely have never even used it. Your eyes can't even tell, it legit looks amazing and is "virtually lossless", mostly due to how the human eye sees motion and colors... its infinitely better than chroma sampling for those who have used that prior to DSC.
Hell, even the nvidia flagship GPU, which is the only thing capable of pushinh 144+ at 4K is DP1.4.

Even DP 2.1 will not avoid DSC for 4K 240Hz if it only uses UHBR 13.5 which the RX 7000 series uses, and probably the RTX 5000 too.

I have a monitor that needs DSC, so I know what it looks like, despite what you think is likely. Sure, the compression isn't visible except in pathological conditions, but it's still striclty inferior to an uncompressed connection.

It's just another example of how infuriatingly slow the monitor industry is. Like how the topic of this thread, 32" 4k high-refresh-rate monitors, were technologically within reach for years before anyone actually bothered to make one, now we have DP 2 that's being mostly ignored despite having existed for a significant amount of time.

Also, my 7900XTX disagrees with your insinuation that it can't do 4k at >144 fps.

Even DP 2.1 will not avoid DSC for 4K 240Hz if it only uses UHBR 13.5 which the RX 7000 series uses, and probably the RTX 5000 too.
Also if things get pushed further, you'll end up needing it even at UHBR 20. At 10-bits per color it caps out at a little over 260Hz. So if we ever want 360Hz or 480Hz 4k monitors... guess what? Gonna need compression. Yes you can design a new version of DP with more bandwidth... but it gets hard to build copper cables that can do extremely high bandwidths, and it costs more to make interfaces that can handle it. Ask anyone in the networking world who's played with 400gbps networking (100gpbs per lane), it is pricey. Like we CAN do extremely high-speed interconnects, but it costs.

It makes sense to lower our bandwidth requirements by compressing data.

Back