The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

A lot of people cheap out on displays. I've never understood spending $1000 on a GPU and then buying a $329 monitor. The monitor is IMO even more important but it seems now days all people care about is "frames" and not actual image quality.
For me the cheap monitors were supposed to be a temp thing until something better comes out. Still waiting. Only one on the list is the Samsung 57" G95NC and I'm waiting for any discounts on that and to see if the Nvidia 240 Hz issue gets resolved...

Last edited:
For me the cheap monitors were supposed to be a temp thing until something better comes out. Still waiting. Only one on the list is the Samsung 57" G95NC and I'm waiting for any discounts on that and to see if the Nvidia 240 Hz issue gets resolved...
A bit off topic but assuming that you most likely have the same as us in Sweden, you can get at least a 10% discount from Samsung by signing up for their newslettters. Now, that doesn't exactly make this a cheap monitor but still...

A bit off topic but assuming that you most likely have the same as us in Sweden, you can get at least a 10% discount from Samsung by signing up for their newslettters. Now, that doesn't exactly make this a cheap monitor but still...
Yeah I should do that. I also have some discount through my employer but that is apparently not available for the G95NC atm but just a revolving set of specific products.

Black Friday sales for the Samsung Neo G8 were very good the year it was released, went down from something like 1400-1500 € to 1000 € in one chain store. So I am hoping we might see something similar for the G95NC. I'm in no hurry to pick up the display until/if the Nvidia 240 Hz issue gets fixed and this chain store is also relatively close to me so easy returns/repairs if needed.

For the time being, I have two G70A on my desk for work with a Macbook Pro and moved my PC to the living room to play on my LG CX 48".

MSI will also be releasing their own 32" 4K 240Hz QD OLED.

1695921993547.png

I don't have any experience with MSI monitors. Do they tend to be more dialed in than Asus or do they have just as many firmware problems?

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
MSI will also be releasing their own 32" 4K 240Hz QD OLED.

View attachment 601862

I don't have any experience with MSI monitors. Do they tend to be more dialed in than Asus or do they have just as many firmware problems?
They have been well-reviewed over the most recent couple of product cycles. I haven't seen ASUS ever have nearly as bad or as many firmware issues as Samsung has.

can you leave local dimming enabled all the time? the rtings review says theres no blooming, which I don't understand how thats possible with 500 zones.

rtings: "The black uniformity is incredible when using the local dimming feature. There isn't any blooming around bright objects, but disabling local dimming results in noticeable backlight bleed and blacks that look blue due to the low contrast."

can you leave local dimming enabled all the time? the rtings review says theres no blooming, which I don't understand how thats possible with 500 zones.

rtings: "The black uniformity is incredible when using the local dimming feature. There isn't any blooming around bright objects, but disabling local dimming results in noticeable backlight bleed and blacks that look blue due to the low contrast."

FALD tuning. The FALD on the X32 is tuned to minimize blooming at the expense of brightness. You won't get super bright highlights on the smallest window sizes, that is the tradeoff that must be made if you want no blooming. To some like myself, this is a favorable tradeoff as I find blooming to be extremely distracting but to others they would deal with the blooming in exchange for brighter highlights.

like this
FALD tuning. The FALD on the X32 is tuned to minimize blooming at the expense of brightness. You won't get super bright highlights on the smallest window sizes, that is the tradeoff that must be made if you want no blooming. To some like myself, this is a favorable tradeoff as I find blooming to be extremely distracting but to others they would deal with the blooming in exchange for brighter highlights.
know of any videos showing the difference?

I bought it, and picture quality is something what i never saw before
For me mini led is much better than oled because brightness really gives that attention to details
And people who think those 576 zones are low, they are not...
Blooming is minimal and only noticeable when you browse some dark websites, i didnt see any blooming in movies and games

You can ask what you want, i am here to answer :)

For me mini led is much better than oled because brightness really gives that attention to details
Blooming is minimal and only noticeable when you browse some dark websites, i didnt see any blooming in movies and games

UFO test please. Or Smooth Frog if you're feeling ambitious.

Blooming is minimal because the algorithms lower the overall brightness to the point where an OLED would probably have been brighter. If that is good or bad is up to the buyer to decide. Now, that does not mean that OLED would always be a better choice, far from it, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Blooming is minimal because the algorithms lower the overall brightness to the point where an OLED would probably have been brighter. If that is good or bad is up to the buyer to decide. Now, that does not mean that OLED would always be a better choice, far from it, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
The uqxR is not dark biased like the X32 FP is. You get visibly more blooming, but also considerably less lowering of brightness in dimmed zones. As mentioned before the color shift is much more of a problem than the blooming with these mini LED monitors. The uqxR also suffers from other issues where it comes to its dimming algorithm, though.

The uqxR is not dark biased like the X32 FP is. You get visibly more blooming, but also considerably less lowering of brightness in dimmed zones. As mentioned before the color shift is much more of a problem than the blooming with these mini LED monitors. The uqxR also suffers from other issues where it comes to its dimming algorithm, though.
Haven't seen it myself, just went with the comment above which then would be incorrect. With MiniLED it is really just either lower brightness or more haloing/blooming that you have to choose between unless you have A LOT of zones.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Haven't seen it myself, just went with the comment above which then would be incorrect. With MiniLED it is really just either lower brightness or more haloing/blooming that you have to choose between unless you have A LOT of zones.
I had both side by side. More blooming on the Asus, more dark bias on the Acer. Much of what we perceive as blooming is color shift, though, like this white text on dark gray background. Unfortunately the Acer adds dark blooming around its bright blooming, which makes it all even more visible.

The main benefits of the Asus are overdrive levels 1-2 between off and 3 (which roughly correspond to Acer's off and Normal) and VRR on the Asus not dropping out in combination with DSC when connected to my 2070 Super (others could not reproduce, but at least one user here on the forum has the same issue). In most other relevant aspects (including price) the Acer is the better compromise.

Acer X32 FP, fullscreen black, local dimming black-level increase per Brightness setting. LED zones are only completely disabled in SDR mode below Brightness value 21 and never completely disabled in HDR mode.

SDR: (0-20 off), 21, 40, 59, 80, 100
HDR: (0-6 still on), 7, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72, 80, 88, 97

Every time one of the above Brightness steps is reached LED brightness for full black increases by a step. Mixed content may use different steps, because the local dimming algorithm decides this. But overall this should mean that you want to use the highest brightness value before the next step to get higher dynamic range (brightness 0 uses the same black-level as brightness 20 while using higher levels for everything else).

Anyone with a PG32UQX know how to get into the Factory/Debug menu?

Short story, I turn on my PG32UQX this morning to begin working like I always do and it turned on in some Factory/Debug menu with a color pattern cycling and showing the FW version, temperature and some checkboxes for features/tests. No matter what I did within this menu or the "real" menu, it would not display my PC screen and power cycling the monitor would only reset the settings and go back to this menu. Needless to say, was a rough start looking at my $2300 monitor not being able to do anything but display a test pattern, but then the other part of me was like "Glad I bought the MC warranty".

Interestingly, unplugging the monitors DC power did the trick and all my previous settings were still in place, and I was back in business. However, how the hell do I get into this menu in the first place if I ever needed too (or exit for that matter)? I should have snapped a picture because it did have some useful information about the monitor...

I received a third unit (C) of the X32 FP. Most things seem to be similar to the second unit (B) with these exceptions:

- On a fullscreen black image unit C show more backlight bleeding in the upper right and lower left corners, but a bit less light clouding in the other corners. With Windows 11's dark theme (dark blue) backlight bleed is visible in the upper left corner of unit B and considerably more visible in the upper right corner of unit C.
- White-balance is more uniform across the screen on unit C, whereas unit B has more of a slight magenta tint on its right side. Overall unit B seems to be a tad warmer with a tendency for more magenta at same settings as unit C. Since the X32 FP seems to generally shift more towards magenta in HDR mode this is a welcome improvement on unit C.
- Unit B seems to be about 1/6 to 1/3 EV brighter than unit B at same brightness settings (about 5-10 steps of the brightness setting) in both SDR and HDR mode. This seems rather surprising, but ion parts may be attributed to the better color uniformity.
- I discovered a stuck (full brightness) blue pixel on unit B today, mostly visible with black/dark colors. If it was present before then I didn't notice it, but I currently assume that it only just developed. Overall the panel of the X32 FP seems very sensible to touch, reacting even to very light pressure (also affecting backlight bleeding).

Vertical "scanlines" are present in both units, but still much more subtle than in my first unit A, especially in the center. Most people likely wouldn't notice them at all. I suspect that Rtings' "text clarity" score was affected by this, though, as the supposedly black text lines show red sub-pixels lighting up where they should be off.

like this
At this point I am pretty sure that the vertical lines that sometimes appear on the Acer X32 FP are FRC related. This is why they get worse at lower refresh-rates. Additionally FRC seems to employ averaging over multiple consecutive frames, which is why the lines vanish after a short time with static images. Both can be made visible by using very low refresh-rates and even more so by making the monitor use extreme overdrive for its FRC (WARNING: extreme flickering!).

Use the following test for everything below:

https://arnowelzel.de/tools/monitor-test

FRC artifacts (lines and others) without flickering:
Disable DSC and HDR to enable custom timing configurations in your GPU driver. Create a custom timing of 30 Hz. At least with NVidia this custom timing can then be used by both SDR and HDR as long as DSC is disabled. Overdrive settings do not seem to influence FRC this way.

Using HDR increases the effects described below, bit depth doesn't seem to make a difference.

FRC artifacts *with* flickering: WARNING, extreme flickering!!!!
Do the same as above, but create a custom timing between 7 to 28 Hz, the lower the better (aka 7 is best). This will cause the screen to display a moving popup, telling you that the input is invalid and disabling the OSD (other than input select). BUT it will still display an image, but use *extreme* overdrive for *both* content *and* FRC. As a result the whole image will flicker, usually the darker the color the more it will flicker.

FRC/image averaging over multiple frames:
This can be made visible even at 160 Hz by switching between fullscreen purple and the pixel-shift (black/white pixels) image right before purple (press cursor left/right to switch back/forth). If you look close you will see a short flash of green before the image settles to gray. The lower the refresh-rate the more this becomes visible, at some point you will see the bottom of the screen going rather red than green and you can also observe the same when you switch from fullscreen blue to the pixel-shift pattern then.

You may notice pronounced clouding, especially with darkest gray. This seems to be LCD pixel based rather than LED lighting based and happens on my third unit, but not on the second unit. Curiously the 2nd unit has a generally *less* uniform color and brightness balance over its screen area (while being brighter/more contrasty), despite being free of clouding in this test. This may also be observable with the + symbols test of the test suite without producing flickering (viewing angles and contrast of the + symbols being more unevenly distributed).

Sometimes the averaging seems to get stuck with its buffering, which then leads to image retention over several seconds (like half a minute or even longer). Personally I only observed this clearly in these special test-conditions, but at least one user on Amazon posted pictures of strong image retention with his unit.

I also had a few cases where moving a window from one screen to the other resulted in the window being shown on both screens (aka being stuck on the screen it was moved away from). It's not clear, though, if this is the monitor getting stuck with the image in its buffer or rather a graphic-card/driver error.

PS: running the monitor at 6 Hz results in a black image and running it at 5 Hz results in overdrive being disabled. Less than 5 Hz is not possible (*no* flickering).

Man, I wish there was a way for you to get the PG32UQX for a non-crazy as it seems like it is just what you need :(. I tried this test on it at 30Hz and 24Hz (didn't make custom resolutions) and there were no issues so it appears to not be lying about a real 10-bit panel. Even with 12-bit on (which does FRC on the scaler) I didn't notice anything probably because the effect would be very slight in SDR.

You can trick custom timings for both HDR and DSC modes by creating them in non DSC SDR mode. In HDR mode they stay accessible via both Windows display prefs and NVcontol panel, in DSC mode they stay available in Windows display prefs only.

And for whatever reason the combination of my 2070S and Acer X32 FP doesn't dropout using DSC + VRR at 120 Hz refresh-rate. So that works better than trying to get the stupid NVidia driver to run 120 Hz without DSC (121 works, 119 works, 120 only until the next switch off/on).

At this point I am pretty sure that the vertical lines that sometimes appear on the Acer X32 FP are FRC related. This is why they get worse at lower refresh-rates. Additionally FRC seems to employ averaging over multiple consecutive frames, which is why the lines vanish after a short time with static images. Both can be made visible by using very low refresh-rates and even more so by making the monitor use extreme overdrive for its FRC (WARNING: extreme flickering!).

Use the following test for everything below:

https://arnowelzel.de/tools/monitor-test

FRC artifacts (lines and others) without flickering:
Disable DSC and HDR to enable custom timing configurations in your GPU driver. Create a custom timing of 30 Hz. At least with NVidia this custom timing can then be used by both SDR and HDR as long as DSC is disabled. Overdrive settings do not seem to influence FRC this way.

Using HDR increases the effects described below, bit depth doesn't seem to make a difference.

FRC artifacts *with* flickering: WARNING, extreme flickering!!!!
Do the same as above, but create a custom timing between 7 to 28 Hz, the lower the better (aka 7 is best). This will cause the screen to display a moving popup, telling you that the input is invalid and disabling the OSD (other than input select). BUT it will still display an image, but use *extreme* overdrive for *both* content *and* FRC. As a result the whole image will flicker, usually the darker the color the more it will flicker.

FRC/image averaging over multiple frames:
This can be made visible even at 160 Hz by switching between fullscreen purple and the pixel-shift (black/white pixels) image right before purple (press cursor left/right to switch back/forth). If you look close you will see a short flash of green before the image settles to gray. The lower the refresh-rate the more this becomes visible, at some point you will see the bottom of the screen going rather red than green and you can also observe the same when you switch from fullscreen blue to the pixel-shift pattern then.

You may notice pronounced clouding, especially with darkest gray. This seems to be LCD pixel based rather than LED lighting based and happens on my third unit, but not on the second unit. Curiously the 2nd unit has a generally *less* uniform color and brightness balance over its screen area (while being brighter/more contrasty), despite being free of clouding in this test. This may also be observable with the + symbols test of the test suite without producing flickering (viewing angles and contrast of the + symbols being more unevenly distributed).

Sometimes the averaging seems to get stuck with its buffering, which then leads to image retention over several seconds (like half a minute or even longer). Personally I only observed this clearly in these special test-conditions, but at least one user on Amazon posted pictures of strong image retention with his unit.

I also had a few cases where moving a window from one screen to the other resulted in the window being shown on both screens (aka being stuck on the screen it was moved away from). It's not clear, though, if this is the monitor getting stuck with the image in its buffer or rather a graphic-card/driver error.

PS: running the monitor at 6 Hz results in a black image and running it at 5 Hz results in overdrive being disabled. Less than 5 Hz is not possible (*no* flickering).
A lot of the 10-bit panels out there are 8-bit+FRC and don't have this issue.

LG is a little better for motion and consoles, Dell slightly better for HDR. Buy from a store with a good return policy because both have quality control issues.

These aren't realistically HDR monitors anyway. I'm in the UK, we have 14 day DSR, so no worries.

Back