The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

AW 3225QF "Curved screen pulls players..." and I'm out. They literally tripped over themselves, right before the finish line. Amazing...the wait continues.

Then buy the Asus or MSI? MSI even specifically says theirs will be flat.

1698178945183.png

Oh, I didn't realize that. Was so disappointed. Thanks. I guess I will be selling off my current monitor after all.

I think both LG and Samsung Display (the panel making divisions not the monitor making divisions) are selling these 32” 4k 240hz panels to the usual suspects (MSI, Asus et al.)
I wonder if all the curved panels are from Samsung and all the flats from LG or if Samsung is making both?

I think both LG and Samsung Display (the panel making divisions not the monitor making divisions) are selling these 32” 4k 240hz panels to the usual suspects (MSI, Asus et al.)
I wonder if all the curved panels are from Samsung and all the flats from LG or if Samsung is making both?
With OLED, it might be possible for the OEM to decide on the curve themselves. OLED panels are really flexy. I mean you see some like the one form Corsair where the end user can flex it. Wouldn't be a stretch to me that Samsung and/or LG make their panels such that the OEMs get to choose (within limits) how curved they are.

AW 3225QF "Curved screen pulls players..." and I'm out. They literally tripped over themselves, right before the finish line. Amazing...the wait continues...and they were sooo close...amazing fail. Just...amazing...
A shame, too... I would have liked the 3 year burn in warranty. I know other brands will have flat options, but I like Dell monitors :p.

Leaving the solution to this problem here for anyone that has difficulty in the future.

Firstly, ignore all images provided in earlier SOPs from Acer. Make sure that the only thing connected to your monitor is the USB stick and the power cable.

Secondly, if you have previously used a USB stick as bootable media - it will not work. Download rufus and reformat the USB stick as non-bootable FAT32 before copying across MERGE.bin.

Thirdly, when plugging in the power cable, if you pass through the initial Predator splash screen and it begins searching for display inputs then it has failed to detect the firmware file on the USB stick. If it does work it will pick-up the file immediately after the splash screen is shown.

In my case, after I turned my USB stick into non-bootable (noting a standard Windows reformat won't do this for you so you need a 3rd-party tool) it picked up the firmware file straight away. It did one round of flashing, turned itself off and on again and did a second round of flashing (if the second round appears to be going slowly don't worry, just give it time as the % value jumps in big increments rather than little increments). It then told me to remove and reapply the power cord. Doing this placed it into a loop of different colours being displayed. Pressing the joystick button on the monitor showed the factory details in the top left corner which allowed me to confirm I had firmware 2.00.015 applied. I then turned the monitor off and on (using the top button at the back right) to put the monitor back into normal user mode. Finally, I plugged in my HDMI cable to my PC again.

Thank you, without those hepl i will stuck in upgrade this monitor firmware.

What's up with monitors putting the pixel-panel so far in front of the backlight that wide viewing angles make pixels vanish to the sides? I mean, it's kind of a "hologram" like experience seeing the pixels float in space from the sides, but the outer pixels becoming invisible at some point isn't really good design.

With the Cooler Master GP27U 27" at arms' length viewing (70 cm / 28") the trayicons and scroll-bars are already floating in space and the outer pixel-row vanishes. With the Acer X32 FP the same pixel-row is still visible, despite its 32" side-edges being even further away. I need to get closer to the 32" Acer (wider viewing angles) to close to the detrimental effect of the CM.

With OLED, it might be possible for the OEM to decide on the curve themselves. OLED panels are really flexy. I mean you see some like the one form Corsair where the end user can flex it. Wouldn't be a stretch to me that Samsung and/or LG make their panels such that the OEMs get to choose (within limits) how curved they are.
That’s a good point- hopefully there’s enough variety out there once monitors start shipping to satisfy whichever flavor people prefer.

What's up with monitors putting the pixel-panel so far in front of the backlight that wide viewing angles make pixels vanish to the sides? I mean, it's kind of a "hologram" like experience seeing the pixels float in space from the sides, but the outer pixels becoming invisible at some point isn't really good design.

With the Cooler Master GP27U 27" at arms' length viewing (70 cm / 28") the trayicons and scroll-bars are already floating in space and the outer pixel-row vanishes. With the Acer X32 FP the same pixel-row is still visible, despite its 32" side-edges being even further away. I need to get closer to the 32" Acer (wider viewing angles) to close to the detrimental effect of the CM.
Better backlight uniformity.

So when the front glas is not laminated to the pixel panel - or at least closer - you get better backlight uniformity? On a mini LED panel?
The spacing is actually between the lcd layer and the backlight. That's why when you look at the edge from an extreme angle, some of the pixels move off of the backlight.

More distance allows for more even spread now that the market is obsessed with thin bezels. Previous the leds were recessed into the bezels more and the distance wasn't noticeable. When I had the 32GK850G it was comically bad, you lost 2 pixel rows looking dead on.

The spacing is actually between the lcd layer and the backlight. That's why when you look at the edge from an extreme angle, some of the pixels move off of the backlight.

More distance allows for more even spread now that the market is obsessed with thin bezels. Previous the leds were recessed into the bezels more and the distance wasn't noticeable. When I had the 32GK850G it was comically bad, you lost 2 pixel rows looking dead on.

The hype driven design cycle moves in circles. Originally the backlights were behind the panels (hence the name). Thinner bezels are pushing them back, while useful HDR needs them behind again. However HDR also benefits from them being as close to the LCD layer as possible to reduce the bleeding from one dimming zone to the next.

X32FP question - has anyone been able to switch to HDMI3 or HDMI4 using DDC/CI instead of the OSD? I was hoping to send commands to switch inputs more easiliy but the monitor only seems to expose these ports

15 - DP
16 - DP2 (ALT)
17 - HDMI1
18 - HDMI2

Here's how they align with the MCCS (Monitor Command Control Set) spec

1 - VGA-1
2 - VGA-2
3 - DVI-1
4 - DVI-2
5 - Composite video 1
6 - Composite video 2
7 - S-Video-1
8 - S-Video-2
9 - Tuner-1
10 - Tuner-2
11 - Tuner-3
12 - Component video (YPrPb/YCrCb) 1
13 - Component video (YPrPb/YCrCb) 2
14 - Component video (YPrPb/YCrCb) 3
15 - DisplayPort-1
16 - DisplayPort-2
17 - HDMI-1
18 - HDMI-2

27 - USB-C

The other inputs on the monitor don't get assigned any value. I tried the full range 1-255. I think other manufacturers usually assign values to all ports even if they fall outside the official spec, but seems to not be the case with Acer and the X32FP.

I noticed if I connect a Windows PC to HDMI 3/4 using ClickMonitorDDC it assigns CompositeVideo2 (input 6 in the MCCS spec). I can then switch to another device on HDMI1 (input 17) but there's no way to switch back. It looks like that CompositeVideo2 is just something generated by the app to make the current input function.

It seems like Acer done the bare minimum here to support DDC input switching. Hope this is helpful info for anyone thinking about this monitor that wants to do easy input switching. Maybe a firmware update can improve it? I know this monitor has needed a few of those :)

It seems like Acer done the bare minimum here to support DDC input switching. Hope this is helpful info for anyone thinking about this monitor that wants to do easy input switching. Maybe a firmware update can improve it? I know this monitor has needed a few of those :)
Thanks for sharing. I don't switch input via DDC, but I change brightness via DDC. Unfortunately this is only possible for SDR mode. If you try to change brightness via DDC in HDR mode then the monitor switches to User mode and thus loses HDR lighting, aka everything gets dark. So watch out for that.

Just got an acer x32 FP, updated it to the latest firmware. I'm noticing depending how bright a website tab is effects the brightness of the whole screen. Like a website that has a white background makes the rest of the screen brighter, hardforum makes everything darker. It doesn't seem like lack of zones would cause this, since there should be plenty of zones between my browser window and other parts of the screen. my browser window size isn't that big. Another example, my wallpaper has a dark bottom half, so the icons in the dark area are darker than the ones on the top half.

Last edited:
Just got an acer x32 FP, updated it to the latest firmware. I'm noticing depending how bright a website tab is effects the brightness of the whole screen. Like a website that has a white background makes the rest of the screen brighter, hardforum makes everything darker. It doesn't seem like lack of zones would cause this, since there should be plenty of zones between my browser window and other parts of the screen. my browser window size isn't that big. Another example, my wallpaper has a dark bottom half, so the icons in the dark area are darker than the ones on the top half.
Yes, that are those algorithms working as always with MiniLED. And to be honest, kind of with OLEDs as well but for different reasons (burn in protection).

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/msi-officially-announce-range-of-new-qd-oled-monitors

32″ 4K 240Hz models

There are two models on offer here with a 31.5″ screen size, 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution and 240Hz refresh rate. These will provide alternatives to the already announced equivalent models from Asus and Dough. They are flat format models, unlike Dell’s recently announced model.

• MPG 321URX – 31.5″ flat format, 4K resolution, 240Hz refresh rate ,0.03ms G2G response time
  • MAG 321UPX – 31.5″ flat format, 4K resolution, 240Hz refresh rate ,0.03ms G2G response time
These models also come with a variety of features such as MSI Gaming Intelligence, USB type-C connectivity, and MSI Console Mode. We believe from the original leaked roadmap that one of the differences here is that the MPG 321URX model will have a 90W power delivery from USB-C, while the other MAG 321UPX have 15W. Other differences remain to be confirmed.
MSI say they “will unveil more details at CES 2024” which is in January, so no word on release date or pricing for these models yet.

just upgraded finally from my aging 1080ti FE, to a 4090 FE

still sporting this as my main display, Asus PG348Q

starting to consider a new display. the GSYNC on this is 100mhz, I'm sure faster is better. I'm pretty happy with the 34" and very slight curve of this Asus

do I need to drop down to 32" to find more current, but similar, displays?

The seiki 39 was a pretty great representation of that form factor. I had one with that one dudes custom PCB which allowed me to hit 4k120. Was pretty nice for a while for desktop productivity / surfing , but the lack of overdrive meant any kind of gaming was blur city. Also the custom PCB shit the bed after a few months, but I digress....

Currently using a 48cx paired with a 3090 @ 4k120 10bit RGB and am very impressed. Will ride this 48cx out until we get a realistic 32 or 40" option in something decent.

Was tempted for the 32" Fald but $3,600 buys a lot of $2 hookers and blow these days and I think my current setup will be more ideal for playing a pansexual, non-binary, gender fluid, super woke, 10" soft, serial psychopath in CP2077!
lol i ended up selling that 48cx, and going thru a half dozen monitors till I ended up with G8 and Innocn 27 FALD....eagerly awaiting the 32" 4k240 oleds!

just upgraded finally from my aging 1080ti FE, to a 4090 FE

still sporting this as my main display, Asus PG348Q

starting to consider a new display. the GSYNC on this is 100mhz, I'm sure faster is better. I'm pretty happy with the 34" and very slight curve of this Asus

do I need to drop down to 32" to find more current, but similar, displays?
There are many 34" options out there, no need to "drop down" to anything.

Are the upcoming 32" 4K 240 Hz monitors going to be WOLED? If yes, will they have the text fringing issue?

Are the upcoming 32" 4K 240 Hz monitors going to be WOLED? If yes, will they have the text fringing issue?
Both main OLED panel manufacturers are aiming at this size so there will be both WRGB and triangle shaped QD-OLEDs of this size.

My guess is that at this DPI which will likely force most users to run their desktops with 125-150% scaling text rendering issues will be much less visible.

They will use Samsung's QD-OLED. LG WOLED equivalents are coming later I believe.

Yes, both will have text fringing issues. It remains to be seen how effective DPI scaling is in getting around it.

Q3 is one quarter away from Q2 which is when I'd expect QD-OLEDs to actually come to market.

Well Alienware and Asus have claimed Q1 release dates so it would be two quarters away if they did. And if you want to assume that they won't actually make that release date then I'm not sure why you would believe the WOLEDs would hold the release date either. It could just as easily slip into Q4.

Ignore the white-balance differences. These are IPS glow differences between the CM GP27U vs. Acer X32 FP in a dark room (no reflections!) using the same camera exposure settings:

1699287885107.png

Why would you buy any of those monitors and run them without local dimming?
Desktop use maybe? I have a PG32UQX (I think you participated in the thread helping me decide on it) and I've found for desktop use I like to leave local dimming off. The bit of extra contrast isn't worth the zone flicker as the mouse cursor moves around.

I flip it on for games, of course. Mostly automatically as I like HDR gaming and of course it turns on in HDR mode.

Why would you buy any of those monitors and run them without local dimming?
Apart from not liking your snarky and ignorant remark: these images were shot with local dimming enabled, with the usual caveat of camera exposure emphasizing things. Thanks for your show of armchair attitude. You may move on in your life now.

Desktop use maybe? I have a PG32UQX (I think you participated in the thread helping me decide on it) and I've found for desktop use I like to leave local dimming off. The bit of extra contrast isn't worth the zone flicker as the mouse cursor moves around.

I flip it on for games, of course. Mostly automatically as I like HDR gaming and of course it turns on in HDR mode.
Yes, but then you probably would not really care about black levels, IPS glow etc as much as you would with more critical viewing.

Apart from not liking your snarky and ignorant remark: these images were shot with local dimming enabled, with the usual caveat of camera exposure emphasizing things. Thanks for your show of armchair attitude. You may move on in your life now.
Sorry, but your overreaction here is just silly.

I'm not sure how I feel about the acer x32 FP for gaming. Coming from 2560x1440, seems like games don't increase your fov with the 4k res, they just make everything bigger to fill the size. Its all really sharp though, but I feel like I have tunnel vision while playing now, I don't feel like I have much peripheral vision.

I do really like the increased PPI and the colors are sooo much better than than my TN, if I send this back I have to get an IPS.

Last edited:
Back