The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

If you use a brightness of 140 or higher, I'd recommend the 32GQ950. It regularly goes on sale.
Thank you for the response - the LG has a nice deal on Amazon right now actually. I’ve been considering that one or the KTC M32P10. Nano-IPS vs mLED..

All feedback I've seen on the KTC is not good and the polarizer on the LG is very good.

Also, it's PWM dimming on the KTC vs DC on the LG >= 140nits.

Copy that. I'm sold on LG as I have had great experience in general with their products (LG CX TV still going strong, and I loved my previous 4K 60hz displays).

There's a local seller on OfferUp who has the LG27GP95R-B for $400... Is that the same monitor as the GQ950 but smaller (27 vs 32?). It may make sense for me to pick this up as an interim monitor until mLED's get better...

Or do I just grab the 32 off Amazon for $775?

Copy that. I'm sold on LG as I have had great experience in general with their products (LG CX TV still going strong, and I loved my previous 4K 60hz displays).

There's a local seller on OfferUp who has the LG27GP95R-B for $400... Is that the same monitor as the GQ950 but smaller (27 vs 32?). It may make sense for me to pick this up as an interim monitor until mLED's get better...

Or do I just grab the 32 off Amazon for $775?
Massive difference, as the GQ950 has the ATW polarizer. It has no IPS glow, which makes a very big difference.

This is a PA248Q (IPS) on the left and the 32GQ950 on the right. Camera angle is the same to both screens and it is very close to what you actually see in a darker room.

MonitorGlow.jpg

Massive difference, as the GQ950 has the ATW polarizer. It has no IPS glow, which makes a very big difference.

This is a PA248Q (IPS) on the left and the 32GQ950 on the right. Camera angle is the same to both screens and it is very close to what you actually see in a darker room.

View attachment 597639
Yep that is a massive difference indeed. Sounds like I’ve found my answer then, thank you tremendously for all the help! Taking advantage of this LG deal on Amazon now :).

Enjoy! I miss mine.
What are you rocking with now? Also, just snagged the GQ off Amazon.. ETA Friday delivery.. damn this wait!

Can’t wait to get back to a higher PPI display for work. This Alienware 34DWF is going straight back to Best Buy today.

What are you rocking with now? Also, just snagged the GQ off Amazon.. ETA Friday delivery.. damn this wait!

Can’t wait to get back to a higher PPI display for work. This Alienware 34DWF is going straight back to Best Buy today.
I'm back to my trusty PB328Q with almost 50K hours on it.

Every monitor out has some drawbacks, but I needed calibration at 100nits and the hardaware calibration only goes to 140nits min. Kept it for the full 30 days and returned it.

It looks great in low light, but don't use it in a black room. (rule for all IPS)

Question about these monitors that get super bright. I use my TN monitor at 30/100 brightness. when I turn the brightness up its kinda too much for my eyes, maybe I'd get use to it. I just wonder if I get one of these mini led monitors would it be too bright? I like good blacks, vibrant color, and high ppi. I also wonder if I use low brightness, would these 500 zone monitors be fine compared to the 1000 zone ones?

According to a German Amazon review the 32GQ950 uses a constantly running fan (that didn't run smooth for the reviewer's unit) even at low brightness.

According to a German Amazon review the 32GQ950 uses a constantly running fan (that didn't run smooth for the reviewer's unit) even at low brightness.
I saw that review as well. Mine was inaudible and I run a very silent system.

I suspect that it has to do with the brightness you run and ambient room temp. Or, more likely it was a defective unit.

Question about these monitors that get super bright. I use my TN monitor at 30/100 brightness. when I turn the brightness up its kinda too much for my eyes, maybe I'd get use to it. I just wonder if I get one of these mini led monitors would it be too bright? I like good blacks, vibrant color, and high ppi. I also wonder if I use low brightness, would these 500 zone monitors be fine compared to the 1000 zone ones?
I don't have a 500 zone monitor to compare it to but the PG32UQX I just got can get way dimmer than is useful. At 0 brightness on the dial it looks dim even in a dark room and measures about 40nits. I don't think the number of zones are too big a deal, so long as the controlling circuitry will let you turn it down, and on a number of them you can.

I saw that review as well. Mine was inaudible and I run a very silent system.

I suspect that it has to do with the brightness you run and ambient room temp. Or, more likely it was a defective unit.
The Asus PG32UQXR also has a constantly running fan that whines at 400 Hz (and does not stop even at lowest brightness). On top the emits high frequency noise when bright content is displayed in HDR mode with local dimming enabled. At the same time the Acer X32 FP is dead silent in all situations and does not use a fan, instead it's chassis leaves a larger air gap between plastic and interior and more venting holes.

The Asus PG32UQXR also has a constantly running fan that whines at 400 Hz (and does not stop even at lowest brightness). On top the emits high frequency noise when bright content is displayed in HDR mode with local dimming enabled. At the same time the Acer X32 FP is dead silent in all situations and does not use a fan, instead it's chassis leaves a larger air gap between plastic and interior and more venting holes.
From what i read the ViewSonic XG321UG should be a lot more quiet and is more or less the equivalent of the PG32UQX?

From what i read the ViewSonic XG321UG should be a lot more quiet and is more or less the equivalent of the PG32UQX?
Yes but the PG32UQXR and the PG32UQX are different. Thank ASUS for the great naming. The PG32UQX is older and uses the same panel as the XG321UG. 1152 zone backlight, DisplayHDR 1400, Gsync Ultimate. The Viewsonic is supposedly quieter, though I will say my PG32UQX doesn't make much noise. They are both still super expensive, however. $2300 for the PG32UQX, $2500 for the XG321UG.

The PG32UQXR is a new, cheaper, model. It has a newer panel that is only 576 zones. Trades a Gsync module for Fresync premium which also means it can have DP 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 (Gsync modules are currently DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 only), bumps the max refresh rate to 160Hz. It does lose out on brightness, only DisplayHDR 1000 certified and probably doesn't do as good a job on HDR having half the zones... but it only costs $1500 which is still expensive, but less nuts than the PG32UQX.

Shitty naming on ASUS' part.

And the Acer X32 FP uses the same panel as the uqxR. That "DP 2.1" only comes with a DP40 cable, btw, so it likely is only UHBR10.

Yes but the PG32UQXR and the PG32UQX are different. Thank ASUS for the great naming. The PG32UQX is older and uses the same panel as the XG321UG. 1152 zone backlight, DisplayHDR 1400, Gsync Ultimate. The Viewsonic is supposedly quieter, though I will say my PG32UQX doesn't make much noise. They are both still super expensive, however. $2300 for the PG32UQX, $2500 for the XG321UG.

The PG32UQXR is a new, cheaper, model. It has a newer panel that is only 576 zones. Trades a Gsync module for Fresync premium which also means it can have DP 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 (Gsync modules are currently DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 only), bumps the max refresh rate to 160Hz. It does lose out on brightness, only DisplayHDR 1000 certified and probably doesn't do as good a job on HDR having half the zones... but it only costs $1500 which is still expensive, but less nuts than the PG32UQX.

Shitty naming on ASUS' part.

PG32UQX-R isn't worth it IMO. If you want to be a cheapo like me then just get the InnoCN 32M2V for ~$800. Otherwise go all out and shell big money for the PG32UQX to get the full fat experience. The PG32UQX-R just seems like a half assed display for nearly twice the money of an InnoCN.

Can someone who got PG32UQXR share some impressions, only one review on youtube at the moment without detailed info...

Picture quality, blooming, hdr???

I still cant decide x32fp or pg32uqxr

PG32UQX-R isn't worth it IMO. If you want to be a cheapo like me then just get the InnoCN 32M2V for ~$800. Otherwise go all out and shell big money for the PG32UQX to get the full fat experience. The PG32UQX-R just seems like a half assed display for nearly twice the money of an InnoCN.
We'll have to see how reviews are, sometimes the cheapies don't do very good on things like color tracking or uniformity that the more expensive ones have. That said, yes I personally got a PG32UQX.
Can someone who got PG32UQXR share some impressions, only one review on youtube at the moment without detailed info...
I think they are too new, might have to wait a week or so before there are reviews.

We'll have to see how reviews are, sometimes the cheapies don't do very good on things like color tracking or uniformity that the more expensive ones have. That said, yes I personally got a PG32UQX.

I think they are too new, might have to wait a week or so before there are reviews.
Pg32uqxr is on the eu market for like 2 months now, first time i saw it at 7th July...
Not SINGLE professional review out there -.-

Pg32uqxr is on the eu market for like 2 months now, first time i saw it at 7th July...
Not SINGLE professional review out there -.-
I thought it just launched, maybe the US launch was delayed. Kinda odd that there isn't any reviews, maybe ASUS knows isn't kinda crap and isn't sending out review samples. While sites will buy their own sometimes, they can't afford to do that for every product, and if a company doesn't send review samples you will see less reviews.

Maybe they are hoping what with the naming that people confuse them and go off of the generally favourable PG32UQX reviews.

Picture quality, blooming, hdr???

I still cant decide x32fp or pg32uqxr
Here is a summary why I will return the Asus PG32UQXR as advice for potential buyers:

– Permanent fan noise at approx. 400 Hz (whine on top of quieter wind noise)! It’s like letting the dial tone of a landline phone play out of the handset all the time. The fans keeps turning even at lowest brightness and less than 40 W power usage at the wall.

– Various high-frequency coil whine noises in HDR mode with activated local dimming. From across the room, with my eyes closed, I can determine if the monitor is on and if HDR content is currently being displayed. (Disclaimer: I am using a low/no noise PC setup. The Acer X32 is dead silent in all situations!)

– Permanent maximum 65-100% brightness level with activated local dimming with no brightness control in SDR or HDR. This can be worked around in SDR via “Contrast” setting.

– Color shifts on gray areas (white point) with activated local dimming (seems to be a problem of mini LED LD algorithms). All current mini LED panels seem to shift white point (color temperature) in dimmed zones, though, which I find more annoying and ugly than blooming.

– Firmware errors when LD is enabled where dark tones turn to random colors or brighter grays depending on what happens around a zone. You can literally see the LD algorithm at work by dark pixels (not LEDs) being shifted to brighter gradations around brighter content (like the mouse). Turning LD off + on again fixes it temporarily.

Minor nuisances:

– Restricted functionality of the Asus display software to control the monitor parameters.

– Uncomfortable OSD control via rotary knob on the device.

– Ghosting in all overdrive settings 1-5, except off. But having levels 1-2 is a real plus over other monitors, I likely prefer 1 for most content.

The uqxR is bright biased, more blooming for more pop. The X32 FP is dark biased, less blooming, but small highlights are dimmed along the zone. With dark mode it can also happen that the whole Windows taskbar is dimmed. No fan or any kind of noise on the X32. Where the X32 offers 3 levels of local dimming (Asus just on/off), the uqxR offers 5 levels of overdrive (Acer only 2).

Main drawbacks of the X32:

Problems reported to Acer:
Massive VRR dropouts (up to the panel turning off intermittently), vertical lines at lower refresh-rates, massive backlight bleeding on my particular panel unit (more areas and stronger than the same panel on the Asus).

Feature requests added:
Allow Acer software to change brightness in HDR mode and to change LD levels, an intermediate OD step between “Off” and “Normal”, an additional “Fastest” LD level that is less dark biased at the cost of more blooming, ability to turn of the power LED via OSD, allowing to use the Gamma setting in HDR mode.

The uqxR is bright biased, more blooming for more pop. The X32 FP is dark biased, less blooming, but small highlights are dimmed along the zone. With dark mode it can also happen that the whole Windows taskbar is dimmed. No fan or any kind of noise on the X32. Where the X32 offers 3 levels of local dimming (Asus just on/off), the uqxR offers 5 levels of overdrive (Acer only 2).
Local dimming on x32 produce some black crush and blooming on some dimming mode ( saw on some youtube review ), so i am worried about pg32uqxr only on and off mode, is it noticable as on x32 or it has less black crush and blooming problem?

Thanks

The Asus blooms considerably, the Acer can be too dark (including mids and smaller highlights) in return for not blooming. If you want any less blooming than the Acer then you have to turn the monitor off completely. Higher expectations don't seem realistic from 576 zones (or even 1152) and currently implemented monitor processing power (scaler + algorithm).

Main problem with mini LED blooming is not so much the brightness (LED dimming), but the shift in pixel gamma and color temperature. Especially with gray background like Discord's dark mode looks like a dirty mix of yellowish (warmer) grays in empty/dimmed areas and bluish (colder) grays for text + their halo.

On the X23 the dark bias and accompanying gamma shift reduces contrast on elements that are surrounded by dark areas (including a white mouse-pointer dimming to gray). That's the price for less brightness blooming, but even the Asus with its bright bias (+blooming) does that to a visible extend (even on bright Windows popup windows that are surrounded by black areas).

Main problem with mini LED blooming is not so much the brightness (LED dimming), but the shift in pixel gamma and color temperature. Especially with gray background like Discord's dark mode looks like a dirty mix of yellowish (warmer) grays in empty/dimmed areas and bluish (colder) grays for text + their halo.

On the X23 the dark bias and accompanying gamma shift reduces contrast on elements that are surrounded by dark areas (including a white mouse-pointer dimming to gray). That's the price for less brightness blooming, but even the Asus with its bright bias (+blooming) does that to a visible extend (even on bright Windows popup windows that are surrounded by black areas).
I mean I'd probably just leave variable backlight off for the desktop. That's what I do, I just turn it on in games. In the case of my monitor, it turns itself on automatically for HDR.

I mean I'd probably just leave variable backlight off for the desktop. That's what I do, I just turn it on in games. In the case of my monitor, it turns itself on automatically for HDR.
Right. I don't understand why people use local dimming on the desktop with these monitors.

Does local dimming in games have same issues as on desktop or not?
The difference is that in games you usually don't see large solid patches of single color/gray (for the color shifts to be more noticeable) and smaller highlights being surrounded by darkness (for the dark bias or blooming to be more noticeable).

As to why people try to use local dimming for desktop use? Because we like contrast and paid quite a lot of money for the feature. So naturally we at least try it out. The color shifts are better at the lower LD levels offered by the X32, but the dark bias may get in the way then (at least in dark mode).

For those experiencing problems when connecting a PS5 (and maybe Apple PC) to the Acer X32 FP in HDR mode:

What I noticed is that when the monitor gets Brightness changes sent via DDC/CI then it switches to User mode and drops considerably in brightness. Unfortunately I own no PS5 to test this myself, but maybe the PS5 sends brightness commands to the monitor via DDC/CI and thus makes it switch to User mode and drop down to SDR brightness despite still claiming to be in HDR range.

Anyone experiencing this should check if the monitor changes into “User” mode instead of “HDR”. If so then try to turn it off and on again and watch if stays in HDR then or switched back to User after some time. Alternatively try switching Picture -> HDR between “Off” and “Auto” to make it jump back into HDR mode.

On Windows you can also fix this via Acer’s own software tool by switching back to HDR mode via that software. Unfortunately this does not work via OSD for “Modes”, so that one is a Windows only solution. On the other hand you cannot change Brightness via Acer’s Windows tool in HDR mode while the OSD allows to do just that. So changing brightness via DDC/CI seems to mess up that whole part of the system.

Last but not least: my X32 decreases in brightness when HDR mode is used with Brightness between 97-100. This happens gradually after some seconds and his hard to notice. That is until you decrease Brightness to 96 and see brightness increase with the step from 97 down to 96. This brightness decrease does not seem to happen with Brightness setting up to 96, so I recommend everyone to not use above 96 in HDR mode.

I thought it just launched, maybe the US launch was delayed. Kinda odd that there isn't any reviews, maybe ASUS knows isn't kinda crap and isn't sending out review samples. While sites will buy their own sometimes, they can't afford to do that for every product, and if a company doesn't send review samples you will see less reviews.

Maybe they are hoping what with the naming that people confuse them and go off of the generally favourable PG32UQX reviews.
You can buy it in the US right now from multiple places.

https://shop.asus.com/us/90lm0833-b013b0-rog-swift-pg32uqxr.html
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824281275 (sold and shipped by Newegg)

Amazon botched my delivery of the LG-GQ950 so I never received (ofc, received a full refund). I did, however, get my Neo G8 in (paid $999 for it). Despite lots of user complaints and scare-stories, I'm pretty blown away with the monitor. Not overly crazy about the curve, but I have none of the issues that most people complained about. I'm also running the monitor at 120hz instead of 240hz, which would be why I'm not seeing any scanline issues. Any other users of the Neo G8 out there? If so, care to share your picture/color settings?

PG32UQX panel has a mere 1000:1 contrast in SDR while X32FP uses a newer panel that boosts the contrast by 20% with a 1200:1 contrast in SDR.
Just a heads up but the PG32UQX actually exceeds its specified contrast. I measure mine at 1230:1 at 120 nits brightness. TFTCentral measured theirs at 1312:1 in its default mode, 1182:1 when they calibrated it. This is all SDR, no dynamic backlight. In HDR mode it can be as much as 500,000:1, maybe more.

I'm not sure why the panel understates the contrast ratio, I've seen AUO do that before.

I hope Asus has a gaming version (PG32UQX successor) of the PA32UCXR in the pipe line.

I hope Asus has a gaming version (PG32UQX successor) of the PA32UCXR in the pipe line.
The problem is it doesn't look like there are any 2300 zone MiniLED panels that do over 60Hz. For me at least, that's a dealbreaker gaming wise. I'm too addicted to high framerate. I think that's the feeling in general, so I could see ASUS not doing a gaming version as they don't think it would sell.

The problem is it doesn't look like there are any 2300 zone MiniLED panels that do over 60Hz. For me at least, that's a dealbreaker gaming wise. I'm too addicted to high framerate. I think that's the feeling in general, so I could see ASUS not doing a gaming version as they don't think it would sell.

Monitors have pretty much hit stagnation after the PG32UQX. TVs are probably your best bet for a next gen HDR gaming experience. The upcoming flagships will have over 5000 local dimming zones and 4000+ nits of peak brightness which shits on anything found in monitors. Give it a few years and those specs will trickle down into the 65" sizes and 55" sizes after. Yes I know, those are TVs and not monitors, but from a purely gaming ONLY standpoint they will objectively deliver better image quality that no monitor will be able to match.

Monitors have pretty much hit stagnation after the PG32UQX. TVs are probably your best bet for a next gen HDR gaming experience. The upcoming flagships will have over 5000 local dimming zones and 4000+ nits of peak brightness which shits on anything found in monitors. Give it a few years and those specs will trickle down into the 65" sizes and 55" sizes after. Yes I know, those are TVs and not monitors, but from a purely gaming ONLY standpoint they will objectively deliver better image quality that no monitor will be able to match.
At least LCD based ones.

Back