Starfield

Starfield DLSS 3 Beta Update Up Now on Steam; Also Adds DLAA, HDR Support

Nvidia DLSS Support
This update introduces Nvidia DLSS support for our PC players. Compatible Nvidia graphic cards can now use DLSS Super Resolution, Deep Learning Anti-aliasing (DLAA), Nvidia Reflex Low Latency, and DLSS Frame generation. Please note: While DLSS Frame Generation is active, VSync needs to be toggled OFF to see the benefit. We are working to automatically adjust this setting in a future update.

Let Them Eat!
By popular request, we have added the ability to ingest food and drink items upon finding them in the environment. You can enjoy those Chunks immediately or save them for later. The choice is yours.

Performance And Stability
-Addressed a number of memory related issues and leaks
-[PC Only] Add some GPU performance optimizations, which will be more impactful on higher end cards
-[PC Only] Improved renderer threading model, improving CPU usage most notably on higher end systems
-Various stability and performance improvements.

Gameplay
-Added the ability to eat the food placed in the world
-Adjusted stealth to be a bit more forgiving
-Fixed an issue where Andreja’s head would stay permanently cloaked
-Fixed an issue that could prevent players from firing their weapons
-Fixed issues where some NPC could be seen not wearing clothes
-Fixed an issue where already in-progress skill challenges could stop progressing after reaching the Unity and starting a new game
-Fixed an issue that could temporarily prevent opening the inventory or saving after entering the Unity
-PC: Fixed an issue where mouse movement could be choppy
-Fixed a rare issue that could cause the home ship to be lost
-Fixed an issue where the ship services technician might be missing

full patch notes at the link below...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1716740/announcements/detail/3787024475496304672?snr=2_9_100015_

It's an answer. You just don't like the answer.
An answer to a question that wasn't asked.

I am willing to bet you two wouldn't appreciate every question you asked being responded to with "ask the developer" or "ask the manafacturer." So why do you feel it necessary to respond that way to someone else.

There are a lot of people on win10 and have HDR monitors that would enjoy having HDR enabled.

An answer to a question that wasn't asked.

I am willing to bet you two wouldn't appreciate every question you asked being responded to with "ask the developer" or "ask the manafacturer." So why do you feel it necessary to respond that way to someone else.

There are a lot of people on win10 and have HDR monitors that would enjoy having HDR enabled.
The reason behind the answer is because the PC version didn't have HDR. HDR on the PC version was only enabled by using auto HDR, which is exclusive to Windows 11. With official support for HDR being added to the game, HDR should work on Windows 10 when that update comes around. It's on the beta branch of the Steam version right now.

I can now answer my question of "why doesn't HDR work in Dtarfield in win10?" Hopefully this helps save someone else time and effort.

The game relies on Microsofts autoHDR that's built into win11, the game/engine itself does not have HDR.

The reason behind the answer is because the PC version didn't have HDR. HDR on the PC version was only enabled by using auto HDR, which is exclusive to Windows 11. With official support for HDR being added to the game, HDR should work on Windows 10 when that update comes around. It's on the beta branch of the Steam version right now.
Thank you for the answer, don't know how I missed the autoHDR part when the game was released.

I just realized two days ago that my laptop was running Starfield using the APU instead of the GPU. Once I added Starfield to the list of applications needing to be run as High Performance, the laptop now correctly launches the game using the GPU.

Regardless of how good or bad people think about the engine of this game, I consider it to be a rather impressive feat that an APU could run this game and do so somewhat well. Of course, now it runs quite a bit better with the GPU.

Hopefully the beta update starts rolling out to Gamepass before Thanksgiving...or someone figures out a way to port the beta to that version in a semi-legal way.

Beta update is amazing now. CPU and GPU utilisation actually properly optimised too.

Benchmark doing stuff around New Atlantis, an area that previously basically lived around 85fps max (average fps was in the 70s here):

Starfield.exe benchmark completed, 15115 frames rendered in 158.344 s
Average framerate : 95.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 75.5 FPS
Maximum framerate : 126.8 FPS
1% low framerate : 65.8 FPS

Settings used:

EpkgiNr.jpg

With this level of performance, DLSS and Frame Gen aren't necessary. Just use DLAA lol.

.... If I get an extra 10 FPS at my "New Atlantis bench spot", I'll be ecstatic!!

*fingers crossed*

But, I'mma wait till this is out of Beta.

So, I decided to try the BETA to test this out. Unsurprisingly it looks like they phoned it in, at least on the HDR side. Instead of three sliders like in Cyberpunk (Max brightness, Paper white, tone mapping midpoint) so you can really configure it to make the most of your screen, there is just one slider, with no indication as to what it does (no units) and it goes from 0-1 Default is 0.80

1699590354951.png

The DLSS implementation is also confusing. It has all the different settings (quality, performance, etc.) but the render resolution scale is still there at the top of the page, making it unclear as to how they interract, especially because the main difference between the different DLSS quality levels is just how much they scale...

Also, they seem to have tried to address the negative LOD Bias complaints with upscaling. ...but they haven't done it well. The settings they have chosen seem to introduce a lot of unintended sparkling light effects. They need to optimize that better. I mean, this isn't rocket science. The Nvidia implementation PDF tells you exactly what to do, what lod bias range to use for what resolution and scale factor, and what to do if you see sparkling effects... So yeah, they really phoned in this stuff.

But on the positive side, this update MASSIVELY improved my CPU performance. It gets much better framerates in cities than it used to. In fact, performance overall is much improved.

Just ignore the render resolution slider, it adjusts itself depending on what DLSS mode you choose, DLAA using 100% render scale since it's native res of course.

We could just wait for the modder who integrated DLSS3 etc into the settings screen to update their mod to support the beta.

Here is what the mod looked like before, worked great etc but because of the crap CPU and CPU optimisation, performance in cities etc was still crap:

jroo3N7.jpg

Well, this is unfortunate. Ran into the 'ship lands, ramp doesn't drop, nobody gets out' bug. And, the 'go to this location and find the temple which isn't anywhere on the planet' bug.

Started a new game.

Well, this is unfortunate. Ran into the 'ship lands, ramp doesn't drop, nobody gets out' bug. And, the 'go to this location and find the temple which isn't anywhere on the planet' bug.

Started a new game.
Empty ship fix is here.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/5668

In the comments there is also a list of ship-landing quest ID's that can get stuck.
All of my chars have gotten landing ship bugs, as far as I'm concerned it's a required mod.

Conan O'Brian plays more game than you Poly and he uses a controller.

I don't think Conan actually plays entire games...he just plays a few sections and records it for his podcast

so Conan is like you Comix :D ...you only play the early tutorial sections of games and then get a refund...I play and finish a lot of games...been taking a small break and thinking about upgrading my GPU but will be back soon when the Shadow of the Erdtree expansion and Horizon Forbidden West PC drop in a few months

I don't like playing a game like Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 (with path tracing) knowing I'm not getting the best visual fidelity

Last edited:
Starfield DLSS 3 Beta Update Up Now on Steam; Also Adds DLAA, HDR Support

Starfield beta branch updated to version 1.8.84, fixing various stability and blurring/ghosting issues with DLSS...full patch notes below...

Graphics
-Improved DLSS overall stability.
-Fixed an issue with DLSS Frame Generation where occasionally a blur effect could be seen and the screen could turn black.
-Fixed an issue with DLSS Frame Generation where occasionally blurring or ghosting artifacts could be seen on characters.
-Fixed an issue where some grain/sharpening could be observed in very dark areas with DLSS enabled.

UI
-Fixed an issue where DLSS preset was defaulting from Quality to Performance or vice versa upon exiting the Display settings.
-Fixed an issue where DLSS Frame Generation couldn’t be turned on correctly unless DLSS is enabled.
-Improved Display settings to force V-sync off when DLSS Frame Generation is turned on.
-Improved Display settings DLSS localization.

Gameplay

-Fixed an issue where occasionally the camera could shake incorrectly during Traveling, Grav Jumping, Docking, or Landing transitions.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1716740/view/3787024475496304671

You all know how to move around on the planets quickly without mods, right? If not, then this is for you.

Once the Starborn Power 'Personal Atmosphere' is gained, drink a Boom Soda (any flavor) or water, pop an Amp then activate Personal Atmosphere then hit Left Shift key to run. You'll move 35% faster for two minutes and during that time you should be able to active Personal Atmosphere at least three times. If you get addicted to the Amp, use Junk Flush to remove the addiction.

Also, I found one of my dream weapons:

1700047992521.png

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/6663

What's the point, there's nothing to see between locations.

For those who aren't using mods then it is a helpful tip to get from point to point quickly.

As far as nothing to see between location, depends upon each individuals point of view. I'm finding a lot of flora, fauna and resources plus with the buildings surrounding each location a lot of rare resources to plunder.

You all know how to move around on the planets quickly without mods, right? If not, then this is for you.

Once the Starborn Power 'Personal Atmosphere' is gained, drink a Boom Soda (any flavor) or water, pop an Amp then activate Personal Atmosphere then hit Left Shift key to run. You'll move 35% faster for two minutes and during that time you should be able to active Personal Atmosphere at least three times. If you get addicted to the Amp, use Junk Flush to remove the addiction.

Also, I found one of my dream weapons:

View attachment 613581
Oof, the Lawgiver is crap. The base weapon itself is trash. It's fine early on but when you get any other sniper rifle it needs to get flushed like the turd it is.

Oof, the Lawgiver is crap. The base weapon itself is trash. It's fine early on but when you get any other sniper rifle it needs to get flushed like the turd it is.

That's correct. Good early on but toss it later on. Hard target is my ultimate dream weapon.

The scope on the Hard Target is a huge improvement for targeting and observing enemy activity as well as environmental observation.

Good to see them working some of this crap out. Wish they had done it, you know, during the lengthy development period but whatever. It does make me want to go taunt those sites that wrote breathless articles about how this wasn't a case of lack of optimization, just a game that was finally properly optimized for AMD and thus we were seeing what the performance gap was "supposed" to be.

Good to see them working some of this crap out. Wish they had done it, you know, during the lengthy development period but whatever. It does make me want to go taunt those sites that wrote breathless articles about how this wasn't a case of lack of optimization, just a game that was finally properly optimized for AMD and thus we were seeing what the performance gap was "supposed" to be.

All you had to do was look at the game. Getting half the frame rates of most other modern games with the graphical quality it had was a big red flag. And there are a number of loading screens so it isn't some large, continuous area either. With luck they can improve performance further.

I would love to know the specs of the pc's these "performance issues" are being played on. I haven't had any of those issues other than the normal Bethesda game glitches.

Back