Starfield

Fun tidbit, moons and planets have actual orbits. You can't just point your ship at a distant planet without making adjustments while heading to it, due to orbital mechanics.
wait. is there a reason you would "head" to a planet? you can't travel planet-to-planet like that can you?

More starmap stuff
Copied from nexus

Code:
[Starmap]
#Make resource vein open/close instant
fResourceVeinOpenDuration=0.01
fResourceVeinCloseDuration=0.01

#Make resource showing upon hover instant
fResourceVeinHoverDelay=0.05

#Make Galaxy Zoom go faster
fStarMapGalaxyFromSystemFadeTime=0.001
fStarMapGalaxyFromSystemZoomTime=0.001
fStarMapGalaxyToSystemPanTime=0.001
fStarMapGalaxyToSystemZoomFadeTime=0.001
fStarMapOrbitsFadeInTime=0.001
fStarMapOrbitsFadeOutTime=0.001
fStarMapSystemTransitionTime=0.001
fStarMapInspectTransitionTime=0.001
fGravityWavesFadeTransitionTime=0.001

Very nice, enjoy your new card (and game)!
Thanks! It'll be replacing my RTX 2070, which I won in a Twitter contest 5 years ago. I haven't bought a new graphics card since the GTX 980 lol!

I'm excited about the ship building in this game. We should have a thread on ship building.

Bethesda might be the most mod friendly developer in existence...they encourage players to create mods and have even delivered the tools to make it easier with their Creation Club...that being said they seem to be using the mod community as a crutch to flesh out their games while delivering more of a basic template with their base game...here's Starfield, let the modders fill in all the details to make people want to play it for years
You're looking at this the wrong way. Bethesda is actually including a REAL-LIFE side quest to you called "MOD MANAGER 2k23"! Bethesda delivers you a no-frills product for $70 and you instantly start your IRL side quest that involves installing the Script Extender and a variety of mods to bring the game up to real 2023 $70 game standards! Then, when Bethesda delivers a game update, you scramble to ensure the SE and accompanying mods still function and you get the pleasure of finding out how the game breaks because of a new incompatibility between the update and your mods!

I was happy for Microsoft for getting a good exclusive on the Xbox because I figure Sony's kicking their ass and, while the gameplay might be decent, the game itself doesn't show off any new tech. Sony at least seems to have some standards for their exclusives to demonstrate new tech, but Microsoft buys Bethesda and Bethesda, while fun to hang out with, just vegetates on their couch and eats all their food. I guess my expectations were mostly that gameplay wouldn't be particularly innovative, quests would be predictable, and I could lazily make my way through the game, but the delivery of a game that looks like it belongs on last-gen consoles is what really disappointed me. We know they've been creeping along with the same engine forever, but it has really fallen behind at this point; they did very little to improve it for 2023.

I played a little more after Zarathustra responded to my last comment, I was able to complete the space fight tutorial and I will probably enjoy the rest of the game, but I requested a refund based solely on the lack of shiny stuff (HDR, ray tracing, spatial audio, etc.) in the game. I'll buy it again when it's less than $50 because $70 is not appropriate for a game that looks like it was designed to show off last-gen consoles.

You're looking at this the wrong way. Bethesda is actually including a REAL-LIFE side quest to you called "MOD MANAGER 2k23"! Bethesda delivers you a no-frills product for $70 and you instantly start your IRL side quest that involves installing the Script Extender and a variety of mods to bring the game up to real 2023 $70 game standards! Then, when Bethesda delivers a game update, you scramble to ensure the SE and accompanying mods still function and you get the pleasure of finding out how the game breaks because of a new incompatibility between the update and your mods!
This is what we expect, pay for & want from a Bethesda release. Its no different that buying an Adobe suite.

Imagine a Bethesda title that you couldn't mod, yikes!

Based on YT benchmarks, it looks like this game is gonna pistol-whip my rig :(

Can't say it's all that surprising honestly..

We all have to make sacrifices if we want space boobies.

You know what to do!

triplethreatrecallfb.jpg

I have a few ideas brewing.. :cool:

Z-dThWfpAHBePK2VRUnDIn4aXc1zXy4R6oMN79n_4&usqp=CAU.jpg

Last edited:
i really, really hope bethesda releases a survival/hardcore mode update like they did with fo4. this game is just screaming for it

right now my ship just feels like a neat cosmetic, other than the few times i'm forced into ship combat. the modeling and detail is cool as fuck, but i think some fast travel restrictions and more detailed repair mechanics (among other things) would go a loooong way towards bridging the gap between "fallout 4" and "cool sandbox space game"

the way they handle fuel is also a bit silly...it automatically refills once you reach your destination...they should have made fuel management and collection a gameplay mechanic...
yes, exactly. also o2 should be more of a consideration, as well as planetary hazards like extreme temps.

this is where i was going with my comment about more detailed repair/damage mechanics for the ship. imagine your life support/o2 system gets knocked out and everyone has to don suits until it can be repaired, stuff like that. it would add SO much to the game imho.

yes, exactly. also o2 should be more of a consideration, as well as planetary hazards like extreme temps.

this is where i was going with my comment about more detailed repair/damage mechanics for the ship. imagine your life support/o2 system gets knocked out and everyone has to don suits until it can be repaired, stuff like that. it would add SO much to the game imho.
Yeah, but then you end up with Arma / Star Citizen and I don't want to need sim-eating and drinking levels. But I guess it could be a difficulty setting (easy / medium / second job). :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, but then you end up with Arma / Star Citizen and I don't want to need sim-eating and drinking levels. But I guess it could be a difficulty setting (easy / medium / second job). :ROFLMAO:
yes, it was a difficulty setting in fallout 4, and it would be no different for starfield. i realize average Joe Sixpack gamer doesn't want to dick around with things like having to eat or monitor radiation levels

Made a post in my other topic, but I started playing this just yesterday and now I'm getting nvlddmkm crashes to desktop (though I didn't get any yesterday oddly) in it, along with Divinity Original Sin 2. Event viewer looks something like "The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found." Sucks, barely got anywhere. Hope this game didn't somehow kill my 3080 Ti like that one Amazon game does. Only mod I have installed is that Luke something or other DLSS mod...

The two main issues I have with Starfield's POI's compared to Skyrim and especially FO4 (which was better than Skyrim):
1. Starfield's locations repeat A LOT more. Yeah Skyrim had some copy-paste Draugr dungeons but they were fewer and farther between.
2. POI's in the previous games always had something to find. A unique quest, item, a shout power. You could go in almost any POI and discover something. In Starfield there is nothing to discover and I mean literally nothing.

The content is a complete waste of time unless you just want to grind XP and maybe some legendary items. How they shipped the game like this actually baffles me.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion the repetition of dungeons in Skyrim was obvious 15 minutes in, they are all the same just with slightly different layouts. I'm yet to see one repetition in Starfield in 25 hours. maybe I'm just "playing it wrong" 🤔

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion the repetition of dungeons in Skyrim was obvious 15 minutes in, they are all the same just with slightly different layouts. I'm yet to see one repetition in Starfield in 25 hours. maybe I'm just "playing it wrong" 🤔
Some locations have different names but use the same layouts.
Other locations have both the same name, and same layouts.

Of the dozens of POI's I've cleared I've encountered around 10 duplicates total, in either category. I've cleared the same little bandit camp like 5 times. On the day after release I hit the same alien-infested mining camp 3 times in one play session (not all on the same planet). I'm at the point now where I'm totally ignoring all POI's because it's almost guaranteed to be a dupe. I only visit the ones with names I don't recognize, but it's hard to keep track.

It's not that you're "playing wrong", you're either not paying enough attention or you haven't done enough locations to see dupes yet.

they are all the same just with slightly different layouts.
That's the thing, in Starfield they are identical layouts. The items, chests, and enemies are all in the same spots. No variation. Nothing new to discover.
I've cleared every location in both Skyrim and FO4. POI variety wasn't great in those games but is significantly worse in Starfield, that's all I'm saying here.

Some locations have different names but use the same layouts.
Other locations have both the same name, and same layouts.

Of the dozens of POI's I've cleared I've encountered around 10 duplicates total, in either category. I've cleared the same little bandit camp like 5 times. On the day after release I hit the same alien-infested mining camp 3 times in one play session (not all on the same planet). I'm at the point now where I'm totally ignoring all POI's because it's almost guaranteed to be a dupe. I only visit the ones with names I don't recognize, but it's hard to keep track.

It's not that you're "playing wrong", you're either not paying enough attention or you haven't done enough locations to see dupes yet.

That's the thing, in Starfield they are identical layouts. The items, chests, and enemies are all in the same spots. No variation. Nothing new to discover.
I've cleared every location in both Skyrim and FO4. POI variety wasn't great in those games but is significantly worse in Starfield, that's all I'm saying here.
Guess I'm just really lucky at choosing locations to visit, because so far all random locations I visited were 100% unique. I'm certainly not going to every possible poi. I just randomly choose places during exploration when I feel like it between missions.

I think the major difference between this and skyrim / FO is that when you are on ground and walking you don't pass by POIs as easily as when you jump from random planet to random planet, where there is no obvious order to things.

For anyone who wants to colonize the entire galaxy you can increase max outposts.
By default the max is 8, with maxed perk it's 24.

player.setav OutpostMaxDeployed #

starfield_outpostlimit.png

I got about 6 hours in last night and enjoyed every minute of it. Actually looking forward to getting home from work to dive back in. Haven’t run into any bugs that I’m aware of and seems to be running good enough for me. The menu and inventory systems are a little cumbersome and I’m sure modders are already working on a solution if not already put. I’m going to wait on mods until I finish a full game.
StarUI inventory from Nexus mods, don't wait. It's a game changer (/dad puns)

Made a post in my other topic, but I started playing this just yesterday and now I'm getting nvlddmkm crashes to desktop (though I didn't get any yesterday oddly) in it, along with Divinity Original Sin 2. Event viewer looks something like "The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found." Sucks, barely got anywhere. Hope this game didn't somehow kill my 3080 Ti like that one Amazon game does. Only mod I have installed is that Luke something or other DLSS mod...

Have you tried without the DLSS mod? Just to be sure. I have occasional crashes with my AMD card in this game too, so it may just be the game, matter of fact I crashed like 5 times on the final mission yesterday before I started me NG+.

On a side note, has anyone run across a mod for removing the fluffy space clouds when you're flying around? It really bothers me.

I came across some fully assembled mechs yesterday too, they look pretty cool.
20230906171236_1.jpg20230906171257_1.jpg

Last edited:
ugh, just had my ship disappear on a planet. and only save that still had it goes back about 4 hours. ugh! Might hold out a little and see if they patch it anytime soon.

ugh, just had my ship disappear on a planet. and only save that still had it goes back about 4 hours. ugh! Might hold out a little and see if they patch it anytime soon.

I had this happen, I just opened the map and landed somewhere else and it worked fine.

I had this happen, I just opened the map and landed somewhere else and it worked fine.
Tried it, wont let me. "you cannot fast travel at this time". Inventory is near empty as well. I can only fast travel to points on the planet and when i click the ship to travel to it, just locks the game.

Tried it, wont let me. "you cannot fast travel at this time". Inventory is near empty as well. I can only fast travel to points on the planet and when i click the ship to travel to it, just locks the game.
That really sucks.

I'll be honest, even though I haven't had any serious bugs in this game yet (Amazing for a launch Bethesda title), I still manually make a save every 30-45 minutes or so.

I'm someone who completely avoided any and all review content, trailer content, advertisements, Reddit hype, Steam hype, etc. I literally had no idea what the story/lore was going into it, I just wanted Fallout in space.

Received my free key w/ my card 2 days ago, put in 5 total hours so far, and I'm loving it. Just a fantastic Expanse-like experience and I can't wait to put more hours into it.

I caved already.....mod to carry 9999 and infinite sprint.

All empty planets just give them a lot of options for DLC.
Yes, the modders are going to have fun with this game. For whatever you think of the game it has a lot of long lasting potential which Bethesda intentionally planned for whether it be them or the modding community to come up with.

Back