Starfield

Man it just occurred to me if you're really good with space combat you can go to the Serpentis system right at the start of the game and jack a high-end Varuun ship. So much easier than dealing with the Ranger questline.
Dirge III is class A with 33 reactor power, particle guns + missiles.

Man it just occurred to me if you're really good with space combat you can go to the Serpentis system right at the start of the game and jack a high-end Varuun ship. So much easier than dealing with the Ranger questline.
Dirge III is class A with 33 reactor power, particle guns + missiles.
Typically you can fly to any planet or moon in the Serpentis system and be attacked within 10 seconds. Though I've never cared about any of the ships. I can't think of any stock ships in the game I think of as being super cool looking or all that great stats wise. Any ship I get is basically deleted and then built as an entirely new ship.

Typically you can fly to any planet or moon in the Serpentis system and be attacked within 10 seconds. Though I've never cared about any of the ships. I can't think of any stock ships in the game I think of as being super cool looking or all that great stats wise. Any ship I get is basically deleted and then built as an entirely new ship.
I just keep the guns, shields, generator, etc and then rebuild the structure of the ship.
No credits and no skills to upgrade the parts myself.

If your character is level 5 then you're basically using a level 40+ ship. Strap on the Vanguard cannons and you basically break space combat for most of the game lol.

Last edited:
My annoyance is Todd acted and kept acting like this was pretty much going to be the absolute best game ever, and the culmination of all his hopes and dreams. Many 10/10 critic reviews feel bought out. And then you have Bethesda fanboys that are just blindly agreeing. Then you get in, and find that demonstratively it is only a few of the things it made you think it was, to anywhere near quality level promised. When I watched the ads (this was after I had the game; I normally don't watch much hype stuff before I play anything), I realized that all of Todd's words came off the same way as me in college, attempting to inflate the importance and quality of my shitty essays.

The game can still be a moderately enjoyable voyage. I said that from the getgo, but it's a very far cry from what they tried to make it seem like. A 6/10 or 7/10 rating is about right. It's not weird to keep playing a 6/10 or 7/10 game after you're invested, even after you realize it's mediocre.

Sure. You can call a vehicle (or anything) bad for any reasons you want. Not everyone will agree with those reasons. There are people in this day and age which will call my builds bad because they're "ugly" and don't have a monolithic color scheme. I happen to not give a shit about how my system looks as long as it performs well. Some people do. Everyone has their own standards, and subjective basis for judging something. None of which has anything to do with your original statement that I was arguing against, which was about not being able to call something bad if you can't make something better. Which is again nonsense.

It's obvious that's going to put a burden on your users when there's a divide between expectation and reality. Todd set this game up too high, especially with 10 years of development. At some point, cognitive dissonance will set in when people realize it's not many of those things. People buy games (especially preorder games) partially due to expectations. So this makes no sense. You can 100% rate a game based on the divide between expectation and reality. There are also many things which a lot of people dislike about the game that has nothing to do with some weird meta subjective reality bubble that you're trying to put everyone in. The graphics being dated have nothing to do with that. The shitty UI has absolutely nothing to do with that. Just examples.

I didn't actually hype myself up much for this title. I wasn't even going to buy it. The only reason I have it is because it came free with my CPU, and at the time I bought my CPU I didn't even know it was coming with it.

Absolute nonsense. There is way more positive propaganda than negative for this game. Like it's not even a question. The metacritic and opencritic ratings are still high, and the official videos from Todd have way more views than these people criticizing it. And yeah sure these bugs I'm encountering where my gun can do enough damage to heal enemies, or how I start an NG+ sometimes and not be able to save or open my inv. Yes. Those are 100% just "lol you were totally trying to just break this" bugs. Yep. I literally have a video of a corpse doing artifacting and then inflating into a large cubic formation. Wanna see it? You can definitely tell I was "trying to break it for memes".

And yes, the game is still more than the sum of its parts. Otherwise I wouldn't give it a 6-7/10. It would be like 4-5/10 at highest.

I have been reading many of your posts throughout this topic. However neutral you're trying to seem to come off, you're failing miserably at it, so I'd be inclined to say that you would be dismissive of any and all problems with the game while acting like you're not. Which is kind of the issue with Bethesda.

Apparently a lot of subjective ways of thinking that are different from your own make 0 sense to you, so that's hardly a surprise.

Because I'm paying more attention to what I'm watching than what I'm doing, and I like killing the two bosses at the end over and over anyway. It's just something to do on the side. I know you'll just reply with "makes zero sense to me", which is apparently a counterargument when used in the context of "this person is just different from me" somehow.
Yeah, Bethedsa's marketing for this game had some notable lies like "unparalleled exploration." What a total load of b*******.

Yeah, Bethedsa's marketing for this game had some notable lies like "unparalleled exploration." What a total load of b*******.
Feel free to explain how that is a "total load of bullshit." The last time I checked their is a ton to explore, the quality of exploration is a but lacking, but still a ton.

Just because you don't like the exploration, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Feel free to explain how that is a "total load of bullshit." The last time I checked their is a ton to explore, the quality of exploration is a but lacking, but still a ton.

Just because you don't like the exploration, doesn't mean it isn't there.
This has been covered more eloquently by people other than me but it's pretty obvious. Take the appeal of exploration in skyrim and fall out, which is exploring an open world with all kinds of things to discover and replace it with loading screen after loading screen and the same few repeating POIs across the planets and it makes the selling point of "unparalleled exploration " bullshit in a practical game play sense. It only works as a gameplay claim if you mistake marketing for content.

Similar point applies to exploration via spaceship. It just isn't there.

Absolute nonsense. There is way more positive propaganda than negative for this game. Like it's not even a question. The metacritic and opencritic ratings are still high, and the official videos from Todd have way more views than these people criticizing it.
You can't just say "that's nonsense" and call it a day, that is not an argument. Official videos exist for every game. I don't even know why would you bring that up, people watched the official material therefore they can't be biased against the game? Now that is actual nonsense. While almost every unofficial Starfield related video that pops when you search starfield is trying to convince you that Starfield is bad, broken, or worse. The rest are neutral strategy guides. I have not seen a single one that would qualify as positive propaganda.
And yeah sure these bugs I'm encountering where my gun can do enough damage to heal enemies, or how I start an NG+ sometimes and not be able to save or open my inv. Yes. Those are 100% just "lol you were totally trying to just break this" bugs. Yep. I literally have a video of a corpse doing artifacting and then inflating into a large cubic formation. Wanna see it? You can definitely tell I was "trying to break it for memes".
I didn't even deny that bugs exist, and I didn't say you tried to deliberately break the game, I meant the people who make the bug compilation videos, which is negative propaganda.
I have been reading many of your posts throughout this topic. However neutral you're trying to seem to come off, you're failing miserably at it, so I'd be inclined to say that you would be dismissive of any and all problems with the game while acting like you're not. Which is kind of the issue with Bethesda.
If you really read my comments you would've noticed the ones where I complain about the things in the game that I find stupid, or describe bugs I've encountered. Or just read my review of the game where I list a ton more problems.
Apparently a lot of subjective ways of thinking that are different from your own make 0 sense to you, so that's hardly a surprise.
What doesn't make sense to me is playing a game you dislike for hundreds of hours. And your explanation of being invested in it didn't convince me. I think you either like the game enough to continue playing it, or would stop playing it if you didn't like it. What you're describing seems like cognitive dissonance to me: To hate it yet continue playing it just because you already started playing it.
Because I'm paying more attention to what I'm watching than what I'm doing,
I don't know what that means, are you watching a movie while playing the game or what? What else can you watch if not the game while playing a game?
and I like killing the two bosses at the end over and over anyway. It's just something to do on the side.
At least that's something of an actual reason to play the game, now we are getting somewhere, but why put "anyway" there at the end? If you just said you like killing the bosses period, I'd just said OK, I can see that as a reason for NG+
I know you'll just reply with "makes zero sense to me", which is apparently a counterargument when used in the context of "this person is just different from me" somehow.
I can't give a counterargument to something that is not an argument, just a statement. It makes zero sense to me why you would do things in the game that you find tedious and repetitive. Something which I also found tedious and repetitive and hated doing it even the few times the game forces you to. So why on god's green earth would I then go and seek out the task that I disliked so?

This has been covered more eloquently by people other than me but it's pretty obvious. Take the appeal of exploration in skyrim and fall out, which is exploring an open world with all kinds of things to discover and replace it with loading screen after loading screen and the same few repeating POIs across the planets and it makes the selling point of "unparalleled exploration " bullshit in a practical game play sense. It only works as a gameplay claim if you mistake marketing for content.

Similar point applies to exploration via spaceship. It just isn't there.
I've mentioned this in my review that some people seem to confuse the procedurally generated outposts as actual content. There are actual hand crafted stuff to explore besides that. Obviously trying to explore every procedurally generated facility will be repetitive. But even in real life you would not explore everything you find, only what you find interesting.

I think this comes from how we used to playing games. That we are used to everything being there for the players convenience and if it exists it must be worthwhile. I frankly always found this aspect of traditional game design immersion breaking.
I know people will accuse me of being a positive propagandist for this. But in a way I found it to be more immersive to be able to just pick and choose in Starfield what to explore and what not to. And not just going to every POI like an NPC that is programmed to robotically explore everything that the game rolls in front of them.

What doesn't make sense to me is playing a game you dislike for hundreds of hours. And your explanation of being invested in it didn't convince me. I think you either like the game enough to continue playing it, or would stop playing it if you didn't like it. What you're describing seems like cognitive dissonance to me: To hate it yet continue playing it just because you already started playing it.

Where did I say "I hate this game" in this topic? I don't think I said anywhere in this topic that I actually "hated or disliked the game" overall. Is your defense mechanism for anyone talking bad about something that you like to simply shove words in their mouth and attack them and their motivations and personal natures? I simply hated a lot of things about it (and the surrounding situation) and found that it had a lot of faults, and it annoyed me that people like you were dismissive of anything bad about the game except what you personally found annoying (and some people didn't even acknowledge that). Your entire post boils down to nothing but "I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND OMMGGG YOu'RE SUCH A WEIRD PERSON I DUN GET IT".

You literally made a wall of text of nothing but "I can't understand different people". Cool. Clearly you simply don't want to understand perspectives different from yours and it's kind of annoying doing this back and forth shit with you that's going to go in a circle of "I just don't understand" <explanation> "I just don't understand" <explanation>. Not to mention almost all of your post isn't even about the game, you immediately start attacking the person for continuing to play something you feel they shouldn't. That's just shitty behavior to begin with. You're not even addressing the subject, you're just trying to sidestep it with ad hominem.

I know people will accuse me of being a positive propagandist for this.

You are. There's no accusation. You just are. Either that or you're so deeply entrenched in some weird "I've gotta be the only person seeing this game neutrally so everyone else is just wrong" white knight crusade view of yourself that you just have to respond to anyone whose experience is different from your own with "You're just wrong."

I don't know what that means, are you watching a movie while playing the game or what? What else can you watch if not the game while playing a game?

This might come as a surprise to you but I (and I'm sure quite a few people) can actually watch subtitled shows while simultaneously playing a game with a repetitive core mechanism, and actually remember the plot and also complete my tasks in the game. It's not hard, and allows me to accomplish two tasks with one unit of time. I find doing that enjoyable. I actually remember the plot better when doing this because my mind is more engaged.

I can't give a counterargument to something that is not an argument, just a statement. It makes zero sense to me why you would do things in the game that you find tedious and repetitive. Something which I also found tedious and repetitive and hated doing it even the few times the game forces you to. So why on god's green earth would I then go and seek out the task that I disliked so?

What the kind of argument do you want to have about personal values to begin with? What good could possibly come from attacking a person's values? I guess you don't play MMOs or any grindy games, then. Cool. They're not your thing. I get it. I can like the end result of higher numbers and more things even if I hate the means. I've played at least 300 hours in every Disgaea game. Sometimes I finish shit I hate just to finish it. I don't expect you to understand that because you're clearly incapable. Do you need to post walls of text that essentially amount to "I don't understand anyone that thinks differently from me?" While you're sitting there and justifying Bethesda at every turn while turning around and going "but I'm not"?

You can't just say "that's nonsense" and call it a day, that is not an argument. Official videos exist for every game. I don't even know why would you bring that up, people watched the official material therefore they can't be biased against the game? Now that is actual nonsense. While almost every unofficial Starfield related video that pops when you search starfield is trying to convince you that Starfield is bad, broken, or worse. The rest are neutral strategy guides. I have not seen a single one that would qualify as positive propaganda.

So it's official and hence doesn't matter? All of those critic reviews are just nonexistent? "I didn't see them in my feed so they don't exist?" Okay bud. Like maybe you consider there's so much "negative propaganda" because there's a lot of negative stuff to say about the game to begin with, too? Lol.

I didn't even deny that bugs exist, and I didn't say you tried to deliberately break the game, I meant the people who make the bug compilation videos, which is negative propaganda.

TIL that compilation videos of in game bugs are negative "propaganda", rather than simple empirical observation.

I'm just blocking you. Talking about this with you is repetitive, annoying, time consuming, and utterly pointless. Go have fun playing ball with someone else.

Last edited:
xEdit now supports Starfield. Already seeing a flood of esm mods on Nexus.

https://github.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit/blob/eb8a33661a05788afa1b87dd4fe2c811ecccecca/whatsnew.md

Starfield
After a monumental effort of over 400 hours by me (ElminsterAU), along with the extensive contributions from numerous other contributors, this version now includes support for Starfield, with editing enabled.

To start xEdit in Starfield game mode, use the -sf1 parameter or rename the exe to SF1Edit.exe.

Caution Against Using sTestFile1 to sTestFile10 for Module Loading
Utilizing the sTestFile1 to sTestFile10 entries in the StarfieldCustom.ini file for the purpose of loading module files is highly discouraged. Doing so can create a chaotic environment where custom module files are loaded in an unexpected sequence, possibly interleaved with official files. This can lead to a variety of issues, including but not limited to, game crashes, data corruption, and other instability problems.

Last edited:
I don't own the game, but I've watched a number of reviews. Would those that play this and generally enjoy it consider it a 'looter shooter' more than anything else? How bad are the bugs in the current version? I know Bethesda titles tend to rely on the modding community to improve/fix their games, but how far are we from that point? Has there been any information released on the 'Shattered Space' expansion?

I don't own the game, but I've watched a number of reviews. Would those that play this and generally enjoy it consider it a 'looter shooter' more than anything else? How bad are the bugs in the current version? I know Bethesda titles tend to rely on the modding community to improve/fix their games, but how far are we from that point? Has there been any information released on the 'Shattered Space' expansion?
Bugs seem very random, I've put a solid 30-40 hours into this game and haven't had a single major bug. I've seen 1 npc get randomly yeeted for no reason but that's been my only major glitch. Keep in mind I've been playing this on my couch with my xsx and not on pc.

I would expect to start seeing major mods within the next month that will start fixing all the big pain points.

I would definitely say this is not a looter shooter, it is absolutely another Bethesda rpg like skyrim/fallout.

Reactions: Pez
like this
I've had two CTDs in the 59 hours I've played. I have no mods installed nor any commands activated.

like this
It's not a looter shooter at all. It's a traditional RPG shooter hybrid. Looter shooters use a live service game model and this doesn't. It's basically Skyrim in space with more loading screens.

I'm having a blast with it so while the game certainly has its shortcomings it has been super fun and I can't wait to see what they do with it in the coming months/years. Like any game some will enjoy it and some won't. If its not for you move on. Not a bit deal. Games are supposed to be fun and a way to escape and unwind not yet another stress point in life.

I'd not consider it a looter shooter, it's a mix of Fallout4 and Mass Effect, ie you shoot like in Fallout 4, and you build outposts, but you fly around on a map between planets like in mass effect.
The bugs are there, but it depends on your luck how often you encounter something that hurts the experience. On my first playthrough it was 40 hours, on my second I already got teleported into a wall within the first 2 hours.
The modding seems kind of experimental currently as there is no official support for mods yet, there are multiple mod loaders and launchers and the instructions aren't clear on many of them. I've tried installing a few mods and some worked some didn't.

like this
Well I guess it's time for me to leave a "Not Recommended" review on Steam, right?

starfield_300.png

This might come as a surprise to you but I (and I'm sure quite a few people) can actually watch subtitled shows while simultaneously playing a game with a repetitive core mechanism, and actually remember the plot and also complete my tasks in the game. It's not hard, and allows me to accomplish two tasks with one unit of time. I find doing that enjoyable. I actually remember the plot better when doing this because my mind is more engaged.

I do this, pretty much ALWAYS when gaming (y)

I don't. While I could tell you a bit about each thing I was doing while multitasking, I find I miss things in either the TV show or the game I was playing.

It definitely depends on the game's genre, for sure.

Since my fave is typically ARPG's, it's a "no-brainer" situation etc.

- Currently re-watching The Wire & alternating between Grim Dawn / Diablo 3 atm (as a prime example of when the combo works well)

Now, if I were say playing Disco Elysium or something.... Yeahhhhh that def wouldn't fly

*ends thread derailment*

Now, if I were say playing Disco Elysium or something.... Yeahhhhh that def wouldn't fly
The ultimate time saving combo would be the ability to play playing something really intense like Doom Eternal while being able to keep up with all of the plot nuances and finer details in something like a Christopher Nolan film. Man I could save so much time. :p

This is why I'm waiting till 2025 to play this game. By then we'll have an LV-426, Arrakis, Hoth and 50 other cool fleshed out planets.
Probably my plan as well...pick it up cheap like I did with the Fallout games. I love space themes but I've just never gotten sucked into whatever everyone refers to as the 'Bethesda magic' so I can wait on this one and hopefully I'll end up having a lot of fun with it.

It's not a looter shooter at all. It's a traditional RPG shooter hybrid. Looter shooters use a live service game model and this doesn't. It's basically Skyrim in space with more loading screens.
Disagree here. A looter shooter does not require a "live service". One of the original of the genre like borderlands had no live service at all.

Disagree here. A looter shooter does not require a "live service". One of the original of the genre like borderlands had no live service at all.

I still disagree. By that rationale, virtually all shooters are looter shooters. Destiny 2 is definitely one where great is largely the focus of the experience. While Starfield drops tons of loot like a looter shooters I don't feel like the gear is really the focus and meta-gear and weapons aren't remotely necessary. The game just isn't that hard.

like this
Well, they really fixed that bug about the disappearing weapons from gun racks on the ship. Just lost about 40 weapons, helmets, and lost some resources that I put in a storage crate in the armory.

Just saw that Gambit77 has released their first few mods for Starfield. Gambit77 authored Armorsmith and Weaponsmith Extended which are huge mods for Fallout 4.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The ultimate time saving combo would be the ability to play playing something really intense like Doom Eternal while being able to keep up with all of the plot nuances and finer details in something like a Christopher Nolan film. Man I could save so much time. :p
Yeah I'm definitely not there lol. Maybe if I played Doom Eternal enough to where it was basically second nature, then sure. For Diablo 3 I got to the point where I could do t16 rifts, split bounties, and level 100+ greater rifts while doing fine any show, though.

Starfield is kind of childs play. Frankly even for the
artifact collection phase
, most of it is just sprinting to the bottom of a facility while ignoring all of the enemies and then hiding until you can press L->R->(hold) X for the next destination. Unless you can't teleport out, then you just run back up. For the temple phase, it's even more trivial. Flying through the lights is incredibly stupid as a mechanic, but it's also trivial to do while not focusing. The entire process is almost all using the menus. It's just fast travel, temple, fast travel, lodge (or eye), fast travel, temple. Repeat 24 times. It requires much less focus than Diablo 3, tbh, it's trivial.

For all combat you can just use Solar Flare anyway, you don't even need a gun.

I don't. While I could tell you a bit about each thing I was doing while multitasking, I find I miss things in either the TV show or the game I was playing.
It's not a big deal for me to just rewind if I do that. I usually notice it. The more important thing is to have a good multitasking setup. I have a 3440x1440 monitor that is above my main 3440x1440 monitor. I put whatever I'm watching in the top one, and then the game is below it. Subtitles are usually at the bottom of the video, so I don't have too much issue looking at them and then controlling my game with my peripheral vision.

Coincidentally, it also keeps my peripheral vision pretty sharp because it's almost like I'm actively training it. But generally you don't play games where you could miss something anyway.

I still disagree. By that rationale, virtually all shooters are looter shooters. Destiny 2 is definitely one where great is largely the focus of the experience. While Starfield drops tons of loot like a looter shooters I don't feel like the gear is really the focus and meta-gear and weapons aren't remotely necessary. The game just isn't that hard.
I didn't say Starfield is a looter shooter. I said that genre is not tied to "live service".

Reactions: M76
like this
Holy DLC Batman!

I've actually been eyeing Space Engineers since..... 2013 when it was in EA.

After Starfield's ship-building, I literally checked Space Engineers store page on Steam last night thinking "hmmm this might be coo....". But then, I saw the DLC list..

It's not quite Paradox Games-level of DLC exploitation but damn is it A LOT lol

(For example, Warhammer 40K: Gladius got me good with their various race DLC's but at least *ahem* I was able to find some deep discounts through alternative vendors)

After Starfield's ship-building, I literally checked Space Engineers store page on Steam last night thinking "hmmm this might be coo....". But then, I saw the DLC list..

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I found the base game to be plenty fun enough. I don't actually remember what the DLC for it was like, but something tells me most of it is rather inconsequential.

To me it was incredibly fun building my my own megaship, complete with warp drive, factories, etc, along with mining and repair vessels that docked inside of it, which I used to bring back various resources to it. The world on the other hand is a bit empty--it is up to you to make your own fun with it a lot of times. But if you like building giant megastructures in space, you might enjoy it either way.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I found the base game to be plenty fun enough. I don't actually remember what the DLC for it was like, but something tells me most of it is rather inconsequential.

To me it was incredibly fun building my my own megaship, complete with warp drive, factories, etc, along with mining and repair vessels that docked inside of it, which I used to bring back various resources to it. The world on the other hand is a bit empty--it is up to you to make your own fun with it a lot of times. But if you like building giant megastructures in space, you might enjoy it either way.

Purchased, DLing now... Gotta run some errands, but I'll report back..

Thanks for the recommendation!

Back