Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Nightdive Studios has announced Star Wars: Dark Forces Remastered for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam)...Dark Forces is a Star Wars first-person shooter that first launched for MS-DOS on February 28, 1995, followed by PlayStation on November 30, 1996...it was the first adventure for players as Kyle Katarn, who would go on to become a Jedi in Jedi Knight and its sequels...it's remembered fondly for its memorable missions and difficult boss fights

similarly to how Nightdive approached the recent Quake 2 remaster, the remastered version runs on Nightdive Studios’ KEX engine and supports up to 4K resolution at 120 frames per second, as well as features advanced 3D rendering, modern gamepad support, Trophies, Achievements and more...a release date will be announced later in 2023...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9TTurkH4c

Nice! It's always been a pain in the ass trying to play this game on a modern system. It's weird that the title screen spells it "Night Dive" when the developer has always been Nightdive.

It's weird that the title screen spells it "Night Dive" when the developer has always been Nightdive.

same way From Software is sometimes shown as FromSoftware (one word) and sometimes From Software (2 words)

Nightdive Studios has announced Star Wars: Dark Forces Remastered for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam)...Dark Forces is a Star Wars first-person shooter that first launched for MS-DOS on February 28, 1995, followed by PlayStation on November 30, 1996...it was the first adventure for players as Kyle Katarn, who would go on to become a Jedi in Jedi Knight and its sequels...it's remembered fondly for its memorable missions and difficult boss fights

similarly to how Nightdive approached the recent Quake 2 remaster, the remastered version runs on Nightdive Studios’ KEX engine and supports up to 4K resolution at 120 frames per second, as well as features advanced 3D rendering, modern gamepad support, Trophies, Achievements and more...a release date will be announced later in 2023...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9TTurkH4c

One of the games that got me into PC gaming but the original was unplayable for some reason. Think I tried the shareware version.

The game itself kind of looks like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.
Doom clones were all the rage back then. Dark Forces actually runs on a custom engine instead of licensing id Tech. It was able to solve the verticality issues that the Doom engine had and still work in 2.5D.

this was one of my favorite games when i was a kid. I can't wait to see what they can do with it. Such great memories with this game.

I remember playing the PS1 port back in the day and then going back and playing the PC version when I got Jedi Outcast and I wanted to fully experience the series. I hope they’ll also do Jedi Knight down the road.

I think you mean Republic Commando.
It got a "remaster" on consoles, but I think it just brought up the graphics to PC quality with official "widescreen" support. I use quotes for widescreen because it's vert- behavior, which makes the game practically unplayable with how claustrophobic it is. The hack method on the original PC version has proper hor+ behavior.

Not impressed with the cutscene graphics on the trailer, and the in game graphics aren't much better. Might as well play the original, imo.

It looks much improved over the original, even when running a modern source port like the Force Engine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnIkQiwsG4

It really doesn't, imo.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zQEdAI4UM

The textures are much better in game, but the cutscenes look the same or worse. Maybe if they used a differen't scaling algorithm I'd like it, but it looks like they smeared all the cutscenes graphics, or at least the character models. Edit: and it looks like the gamma is way too high in the video you posted, or else they made everything brighter, ruining the mood of the scenes.

Also the MIDI track kicks ass, but I understand you can still use that (according to a dev in the steam forums).

Last edited:
I enjoyed it back in the day, but it's def one of those Doom-clones that hasn't really aged well....

(Unlike say Duke Nukem 3D, which is still fun to play etc.)

I honestly think they should do a full brand new engine update to do it justice. This was a great original game back in the day albeit a doom clone. It was a good edition to the Star War game universe. Love to see it in modern graphic engines.

Comes out in 3 days I bought a copy of Dark Forces original CD and box from 1996 or whenever.
It was in really good condition so I picked it up. I have it sealed it to prevent moisture damage.

Honestly, don't care for a lot of the updated background/skybox art and rendered scenes -- they look smoothed, half-assed, or otherwise just okay compared to the original. The sprite art and textures look pretty good otoh (although I'm not sure why he was gushing over the enemy sprites).

The animated scenes with the characters talking look bad. I mean, they were bad before, but now they're bad, smoothed, and high res -- should've kept those original, or did a simple upscaling imho, if they weren't going to redo them entirely.

Honestly, don't care for a lot of the updated background/skybox art and rendered scenes -- they look smoothed, half-assed, or otherwise just okay compared to the original. The sprite art and textures look pretty good otoh (although I'm not sure why he was gushing over the enemy sprites).

The animated scenes with the characters talking look bad. I mean, they were bad before, but now they're bad, smoothed, and high res -- should've kept those original, or did a simple upscaling imho, if they weren't going to redo them entirely.
The only thing I agree with is the cutscenes looking bad. The smoothing of the image made the characters look like completely different people. Otherwise it looks much improved all around.

I'm going to skip this game and wait for Starwars Outlaws the UBI game I would be hard pressed to play this game.
I rather just fire up Dusk or something.

I'll see what the reviews bring and the price isn't listed suspect about 34.00

Picked it up also. My only problems right now are
1. the music is super loud. its like the slider does nothing.
2. How in the world do you save your game mid mission?

This game was really amazing for its day and it still holds up mostly now.

Picked it up also. My only problems right now are
1. the music is super loud. its like the slider does nothing.
2. How in the world do you save your game mid mission?

This game was really amazing for its day and it still holds up mostly now.
There is no manual saving mid-mission in the original, so they probably didn't add it to this remaster. The game has a lives and checkpoint system. Kind of surprised they didn't add it as an option for quality of life, as some of the missions can drag on for a long time for this type of game.

Price is $29.99. Picked up a copy for myself.
Let us know how it is! I had somewhat high expectations for this considering it's from Nightdive. Dark Forces was an awesome game, and this is from someone who is/was barely a Star Wars fan. Just like with the Arkham games, DF always stood on its own merits as a great game - you didn't have to be a massive fan of the source material to enjoy it.

There is no manual saving mid-mission in the original, so they probably didn't add it to this remaster. The game has a lives and checkpoint system. Kind of surprised they didn't add it as an option for quality of life, as some of the missions can drag on for a long time for this type of game.
Ahh, its been a long time since I played the original I didn't even remember about checkpoints.

now if they just threw in an option to skip the sewer level :)

Ahh, its been a long time since I played the original I didn't even remember about checkpoints.

now if they just threw in an option to skip the sewer level :)
Haha I just watched a video from a guy who typically does game reviews but he occasionally does other stuff and this one was on infamous sewer levels. That one was near the top.

Picked up Wrath Age of Run and this game see which one is better. They have Dark Forces on CD keys but it's sold out at 23.00.

Haha I just watched a video from a guy who typically does game reviews but he occasionally does other stuff and this one was on infamous sewer levels. That one was near the top.
it is very notorious. I always disliked that level and it sucks and is good that is at the beginning of the game.

Back