South Park : The Stick of Truth

gmg sent me my key, if you pre ordered the game before THQ went under you will get a direct email from them with your key instead of the usual email from GMG.

I don't think 15 hours is too short. If anything longer than 15 hours of southpark would get a bit dull. you can only be so funny for so long.

I suppose so, I guess I'd rather have 15 hours of great, rich content then repetitive stuff. Dragon Age 2 cough cough.

Any indication of review scores leaking? Otherwise I imagine we'll see them all go up tomorrow. I'm interested in the game, but I'm a little worried that it will feel a bit hollow (i.e. using the South Park name, but not actually providing interesting mechanics). The video showing the first fifteen minutes did look pretty great though. I'm trying to stay optimistic about this one :)

They are pretty normal for a game that gives out press copies. It is to allow all the press to get their stuff done and release at the same time, so you don't have people scrambling to be first, at the expense of quality.

Games that don't have embargoes are usually things with no press copies. Nobody gets an advanced copy, the game just launches and the press gets to pick it up like everyone else. Then reviews come out when they come out. That is usually the bigger warning, at least for a game from a normal publisher, because it tends to mean the publisher didn't want any reviews to be out at or around launch time.

You may be right, but just in recent memory there have been some titles which had review embargoes and ended up being massively shit, and I think that was part of the reason why the embargoes were in place.

Not saying that is the case with this game but it has made me a bit leery of that practice.

I don't think 15 hours is too short. If anything longer than 15 hours of southpark would get a bit dull. you can only be so funny for so long.

Yeah but for what I thought was an open-world RPG, that is extremely short. I am thinking this game is going to end up much more linear than previously expected.

Yeah but for what I thought was an open-world RPG, that is extremely short. I am thinking this game is going to end up much more linear than previously expected.

from what i saw it didn't look very open world. I can't see how they could make it very open, well not without killing the entertainment value quite a lot. so i am not overly miffed about the play time, but i can understand not wanting to spend 60 bucks on it.

Any indication of review scores leaking? Otherwise I imagine we'll see them all go up tomorrow. I'm interested in the game, but I'm a little worried that it will feel a bit hollow (i.e. using the South Park name, but not actually providing interesting mechanics). The video showing the first fifteen minutes did look pretty great though. I'm trying to stay optimistic about this one :)

The game is very much an old school style turn-based rpg/paper mario like rpg and it's made by Obsidian, who know very well how to make those kinds of games.

On top of this you have both Matt and Trey who have been very hands on with the game, writing, voices, making sure it's something they want.

It wasn't just handed off to a publisher and told to "make a game" like most licensed tv/movie games are.

Ubisoft is notorious for not doing 12 midnight releases, unlike other publishers who do them.

The game is very much an old school style turn-based rpg/paper mario like rpg and it's made by Obsidian, who know very well how to make those kinds of games.

On top of this you have both Matt and Trey who have been very hands on with the game, writing, voices, making sure it's something they want.

It wasn't just handed off to a publisher and told to "make a game" like most licensed tv/movie games are.

Fair enough, I suppose I'd still like to see some reasonable reviews before I consider it. I really enjoyed the Paper Mario series, despite it being much more linear than others.

I guess I remember the old days where NES and Genesis carts were $50 and you could clear many of them (even 5-star titles like Ninja Gaiden and Strider) in a few hours.
I'd rather have a great short experience than a so-so longer experience stretched out with MP modes nobody will be playing 6 weeks after release.
I find that in a lot of games they tend to lose momentum around the 8-hour mark. If SP can be consistently strong for 15 hours, that's good enough for me.

some replay value would be good too, like replaying as a different class. so that alone assuming you play fighter or jew the first time through and play the caster role the second time would double the play time assuming you find it enjoyable a second time through.

Best of all, if there was a "New Game+" mode, where your next playthrough would not only let you start with more advanced abilities from the previous game, but actually offered newly accessible content not available in the first playthrough, like special bosses, dungeons, previously hidden quests, and additional endings, that would be a worthwhile purchase.

I'm getting all of the above and more from my Bravely Default (now that's a game that I'd like to see on PC, or at least Android) purchase for $30, so I guess that's fresh in my mind...

Got my tracking number for my CE from Amazon earlier. Its sitting in Kentucky atm.... dammit!

Sooo cant wait.

So, Steam now says that it WILL unlock at midnight? Can it be true? Woohoo, 4 hours to go! I hope it does.

Just got done watching the black friday trilogy on comedy central, I am so ready for this game :D

It better be good :p

Just booted it up, and while I haven't got into the game yet I haive to say off the bat it seems like a console port to the core.

1. It's locked at 30fps
2. There's no graphics options outside the resolution.
3. There's no keybindings option (g'luck if you use esdf or something else other then wsad).
4. Some menu's (like the main menu) you can click on with the mouse, others (like the menu in-game when you hit esc) you have to use the arrow keys.

This is a bit strange considering it's Obsidian, who are a pc centric developer, at least in the past.

Anyone else getting stuck at the third fight with the elves at the start? I can only choose mele attack but you can mele attack the last guy. I'm on pc

The game is sooo great thus far. I played for an hour and a half and have yet to complete a single main quest. So much to explore that I haven't bothered yet. I've laughed out loud a bunch of times too. Glad I spent the money on this.

Getting past the lack of PC options I have to say so far I am loving this game.

Pretty much what I expected from seeing the videos the past week, it's got all the humor of the show + solid rpg mechanics and exploration you'd expect from an rpg game.

Lots of little things you'll notice from the show over the years, from things you find in characters closets to random items throughout the world.

Also has quite a bit of customization to it that I wasn't expecting (cosmetically). I came across the classic "chin balls" which you equip to well....make your character have a set of testicles on their chin.

Playing through as a fighter my first time, will probably try the mage next time around.

Anyone else getting stuck at the third fight with the elves at the start? I can only choose mele attack but you can mele attack the last guy. I'm on pc

You should have a bow for range attacks, Cartman tells you this and you can select it when you go to attack, it's like the top right option (right above your "Basic" attack), switches to the bow and then you can pew pew.

Also IGN's review is up:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/04/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-review

9.0/10.

Watched TB's video...gotta say this seems like a terrible PC port but a cool game.

I don't think it's a terrible PC port, It's FPS is locked at 30fps but I think it's designed that way, it has to do with the "film effect"

I just forced my AA to maximum 24xEQ super sampling, I can't say it makes a huge difference.

I can't say the controls are anything special but it works.

So far I like it a lot, it's better than I expected which is a shock for once.

well it seems to run like it should and plays like i expected so that is a good thing. i chose to play as a mage for my first time through since i rarely play as pure magic users in anything and i have to say the first PP spender you get is pretty hot...

this is how i look at the beginning.
vlcsnap-2014-03-04-01h26m32s24.png

Back