Soooo, 780 Classified vs 290 (non-X)

bpizzle1

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just go an amazing deal on a 780 Classified from an Amazon price mistake (ended up with the card for about $345). Naturally, 2 days later the benches for the 290 come out, and it looks to be 8800GT levels of epic. Anyway, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep the Classy and OC the hell out of it, or sell it and perhaps wait for a custom cooler 290 in a month or so. I'm currently only at 1080p, but I will be going to 1440p around Xmas time. What do you guys think?

You are stupid in my book if you return it.

This. The 780 OC'd will beat any OC'd R290(x), and do it cooler and quieter at that. A lot of people are reading the reviews right now, getting a hard on looking at stock numbers, but its not really a fair comparison. AMD sacrificed everything for performance, while the 780 has tons of head room and a more efficient design. Love AMD for sticking to NV on the price front, but I don't want one of their cards in my box.

This. The 780 OC'd will beat any OC'd R290(x), and do it cooler and quieter at that. A lot of people are reading the reviews right now, getting a hard on looking at stock numbers, but its not really a fair comparison. AMD sacrificed everything for performance, while the 780 has tons of head room and a more efficient design. Love AMD for sticking to NV on the price front, but I don't want one of their cards in my box.

^^^ this. I'm getting my DCII today for a full price of $511.99 and I have no regrets.

780ti review is Thursday I think. Should put eveything back into perspective.

Remember, we have yet to see the survivability of the 290(X)'s operating at such a high sustained temperature.

I'll be suprised if we don't see some form of RROD-esque calamity 6-12 months down the road from these initial AMD reference designs.

I'd say keep the 780. Like already said, she has plenty of headroom for a good OC and is it worth the extra $100+ for a few more frames? Of course, only you can answer that!

^^^ this. I'm getting my DCII today for a full price of $511.99 and I have no regrets.

Double this. AMD appears to have jacked up the 290 series with total abandon in order to be competitive. I'm a little disappointed at how easily all the reviews seem to gloss over the power and heat to performance ratio. I'd stick with an Nvidia card performance per degree if the price gap is reasonable, especially if you can OC one to mirror what the 290x is capable of.

I love the competition regardless, better prices all around is always a win.

At $345 it's a keeper, and you have it in your hands right now.

Selling it or returning it will be stupid. Nothing can match the price/perf you got at 345 bucks. Your classified is already faster than a Titan and a stock R9 290X and has one of the best build quality on the market in graphics cards in terms of cooling.

If you plan on staying at relatively (now) lower Res, the 780 is ok. If you are planning on higher Res monitor(s), the 290 has longer legs + better multi-card scaling basically.

I think even at 1440p the 780 Classified will be more than sufficient. You stole it for $345, absolutely epic deal, even at $400 I think the Classified would be a better purchase than the 290. If you decide to go to even higher resolutions (4K, multi-monitor), then you might want to think about the 290's. But as it stands you made out like a bandit.

No way I'd return it at that price. That's one of if not the best card out there right now.

Remember, we have yet to see the survivability of the 290(X)'s operating at such a high sustained temperature.

I'll be suprised if we don't see some form of RROD-esque calamity 6-12 months down the road from these initial AMD reference designs.

I'd say keep the 780. Like already said, she has plenty of headroom for a good OC and is it worth the extra $100+ for a few more frames? Of course, only you can answer that!

There are already 290X dying i could just imagine how suffer the vRAM near such high temperature, AMD says the Chip handle 120C, excellent but how about the overall components? ...

Good lord people, read the OP. He's not suggesting that he would return the card at that price, but rather sell it NIB (probably get $500+ for it), use the proceeds to buy a 290, and pocket the difference. Unless there's a specific reason you need to stick w/ nvidia (hackintosh, CUDA application, etc), I'd sell the 780 asap (given the apparent downward pricing pressure caused by the 290 launch), grab a 290 and spend a portion of the difference on aftermarket cooling. Otherwise, if you're feeling lazy, just stick w/ the 780 and enjoy.

There are already 290X dying i could just imagine how suffer the vRAM near such high temperature, AMD says the Chip handle 120C, excellent but how about the overall components? ...

lol, 290x's are already dying, and apparently the r9 290's are even more noisier and suspectable to over-heating.

It's like GTX 570 Vram Blow-Out Era, all over again. luls

If you plan on staying at relatively (now) lower Res, the 780 is ok. If you are planning on higher Res monitor(s), the 290 has longer legs + better multi-card scaling basically.

Here's the problem I have with this mentality. While what you said is technically true, it's just not how things play out in the pc hardware world. New tech releases way to fast for this to be true. I'm assuming we're talking about 4K here, by the time those monitors become mainstream, were going to be a couple more gpu releases into the future and no one is going to care about 780s and 290s.

Here's the problem I have with this mentality. While what you said is technically true, it's just not how things play out in the pc hardware world. New tech releases way to fast for this to be true. I'm assuming we're talking about 4K here, by the time those monitors become mainstream, were going to be a couple more gpu releases into the future and no one is going to care about 780s and 290s.
With Maxwell around the corner, the whole 4K argument is about 6 months worth. Within those 6 months I am not expecting a quality 4K display with proper 120 Hz screen and less input lag.

Good lord people, read the OP. He's not suggesting that he would return the card at that price, but rather sell it NIB (probably get $500+ for it), use the proceeds to buy a 290, and pocket the difference. Unless there's a specific reason you need to stick w/ nvidia (hackintosh, CUDA application, etc), I'd sell the 780 asap (given the apparent downward pricing pressure caused by the 290 launch), grab a 290 and spend a portion of the difference on aftermarket cooling. Otherwise, if you're feeling lazy, just stick w/ the 780 and enjoy.

But its a CLASSIFIED card! That thing is decked out, custom pcb with all kinds of tweaking features, 14 phase vrm design, two 8 pin power connector with a nice cooler on it. Why would you give that up in exchange for the plain reference 290?

With Maxwell around the corner, the whole 4K argument is about 6 months worth. Within those 6 months I am not expecting a quality 4K display with proper 120 Hz screen and less input lag.

I don't even think I would expect that in 12 months. EIZO just released their 120Hz (240Hz strobed) VA panel, probably the best "gaming" panel there is and its <24" @ 1080. There's a long way from that, to 4K at 120Hz, with low input lag and no motion blur. Like years is prob more like it.

If you can sell it for ~$500, then yea. Buy a 290 and pocket the difference, you'll have a faster card and extra money.

I got in on the same deal (not the Classified, but 2x 780 reference SCs) and I'm keeping them. Nothing appealing about the 290 aside from the price, and since I got my 780s for cheaper who cares?

I'd still be tempted to get a 780 over the 290 at full price, the better cooler, better software support, and higher OC ceiling on air makes it worth the $100 premium,

I got in on the same deal (not the Classified, but 2x 780 reference SCs) and I'm keeping them. Nothing appealing about the 290 aside from the price, and since I got my 780s for cheaper who cares?

I'd still be tempted to get a 780 over the 290 at full price, the better cooler, better software support, and higher OC ceiling on air makes it worth the $100 premium,

So many rich people here on these forums... I make $60k a year and still can't put myself to overpay $100 for less performance.

So many rich people here on these forums... I make $60k a year and still can't put myself to overpay $100 for less performance.

Lets be real, its equivalent really. I believe [H] says identical gameplay experience or something to that effect. You honestly can't tell me 1 or 2 frames here and there is really considered "less" performance. But here's the kicker, physx might not be a big deal to you but it is something nice and extra in the titles that have it. Shadowplay if thats your thing. Runs cooler and more efficiently, quieter, people have been saying better oc headroom but I think the jury is still out on that until we can see some retail boards for the 290 series cards. And it has a decent bundle at the moment, so I guess you could call it a small premium but it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. Hell, sell the game codes and you're probably only taking about $20-$40 difference? And this is from someone who still has a 5870 in his box, that I has been pretty rock solid for me.

Not rich but when I'm already up to paying $400 I don't want to be inconvenienced by other factors. Considering I'll be sticking with the cards for a year at least it's a premium I can easily justify.

Also the performance difference is tiny, and when both are overclocked to the max on air the 780 still pulls ahead ( at least on non-4K resolutions). If AMD had non-reference models that overclocked well @ $400 then it'd be a difficult decision.

This would only make sense if you're going Eyefinity or 4K during the life of the card. Otherwise the 780 is fine.

You wont be upset with the 780 but the 290 is a better deal in every way.
We have seen this heat and power with the 480/580 and many familiar names in this thread justified the power and heat as worth it. Its funny watching them turn around and change the story now. Still you will enjoy your card but the 290 is better and with a better cooler will be quiet as well as OC more. 47% on a shitty stock cooler is nothing, the headroom must be massive. Also AMD doesnt really sell cards, it make a reference card and then its AIB partners make the cards. Look at current 7970s and tell me how similar the Cooler looks to a stock cooler. Anyway enjoy the bs that comes from many of these trolls mouths.

You wont be upset with the 780 but the 290 is a better deal in every way.
We have seen this heat and power with the 480/580 and many familiar names in this thread justified the power and heat as worth it. Its funny watching them turn around and change the story now. Still you will enjoy your card but the 290 is better and with a better cooler will be quiet as well as OC more. 47% on a shitty stock cooler is nothing, the headroom must be massive. Also AMD doesnt really sell cards, it make a reference card and then its AIB partners make the cards. Look at current 7970s and tell me how similar the Cooler looks to a stock cooler. Anyway enjoy the bs that comes from many of these trolls mouths.
I don't know what to say anymore.

R9 290 is 55 dollars more expensive and will come with a crappy cooler
Classified stock is about 5-8% faster than a Titan that an R9 290 comes close to when overclocked
Classified can be overclocked to approx 1300 MHz on air, something that cannot be matched by an R9 290

LOL what a fan boy response. Typical ... nVidia is sooooo much better crap. Dude the 290x when placed under water or on aftermarket cooling is, right now on water, and later on aftermarket air, destroying the 780. Dont argue just go look on the web.AMD sacrificed nothing for performance. Its just silicon and current tech on all cards have hit the max on what heatpipe coolers can cool ... why am I even participating here?

LOL what a fan boy response. Typical ... nVidia is sooooo much better crap. Dude the 290x when placed under water or on aftermarket cooling is, right now on water, and later on aftermarket air, destroying the 780. Dont argue just go look on the web.AMD sacrificed nothing for performance. Its just silicon and current tech on all cards have hit the max on what heatpipe coolers can cool ... why am I even participating here?
So you are telling a person who got the card for $345 to go ahead and spend ~550 on R9 290X and another ~100 on a waterblock to achieve similar or slightly better performance at sub-1600P resolutions.

it will be better performance.
Either way enjoy the hard work of marketing. Must suck to be on this forum working.
:D

But its a CLASSIFIED card! That thing is decked out, custom pcb with all kinds of tweaking features, 14 phase vrm design, two 8 pin power connector with a nice cooler on it. Why would you give that up in exchange for the plain reference 290?

Because its faster... oh wait, did I just hurt the feelings of all the fanbois in this thread? yes, yes I did, gotta suck knowing a top of the line Nvidia card is slower then a cheaper AMD card.

So you are telling a person who got the card for $345 to go ahead and spend ~550 on R9 290X and another ~100 on a waterblock to achieve similar or slightly better performance at sub-1600P resolutions.
Seriously. I don't think some of the idiots in this thread read the actual OP. He got a 780 Classified for $345; he won the game, there is no better deal on the market. Some of you fanboys from both sides are so damn stupid it's unreal.

OP 780 classified for 345 is mindblowing. keep it. at that price its gold dust. :D

Well, I suppose I should have known how this thread would turn out lol. Anyways, after deliberating over all the pros and cons, I have decided to just keep the Classy and OC the hell out of it. It will run anything I can throw at it for a while at the resolutions I will be using. Might as well take advantage of winning the price mistake lottery. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on what Mantle ends up bringing to the table though. Thanks for the input!

*Fingers crossed that I'll be able to hit 1300mhz with my Classy on air*

Because its faster... oh wait, did I just hurt the feelings of all the fanbois in this thread? yes, yes I did, gotta suck knowing a top of the line Nvidia card is slower then a cheaper AMD card.

Show me a review of a nice clocked classified that is getting beat by a reference 290.

Back