Silverstone FT03... matx

Well, wth are you doing to the top panel that having just that plastic piece on the front doesn't work for you? Do you have your FT03 mounted on your ceiling so it's upside down?

Well, wth are you doing to the top panel that having just that plastic piece on the front doesn't work for you? Do you have your FT03 mounted on your ceiling so it's upside down?

Do I have to repeat myself? The front opens easily and isn't secure. Wow, are you paid by Silverstone to defend them?

And if I were hanging the case from the ceiling? My FT02's cover isn't going to plunge to the ground because it's got 4 latches securing the cover, but my FT03's cover sure as hell will with just 2 latches securing the back and a tiny lip "securing" the front.

Maybe I'm confusing what you're calling the front panel. When you say "front panel" are you talking about the plastic part on the top that goes over the ports or the front that has the slot for the optical drive? All four of my metal side panels don't come off easily.

Maybe I'm confusing what you're calling the front panel. When you say "front panel" are you talking about the plastic part on the top that goes over the ports or the front that has the slot for the optical drive? All four of my metal side panels don't come off easily.

The front of the top plastic cover comes off easily because of the lack of any securing latch (as shown in the pics).

The rear panel (that hides the cables) also pops off easily, so I suppose that would be the side panel... The other panel with the plastic vent is hella tight though, as in I need to smack it with a shoe/slipper to get it in (but the other side panel is well, loose). This was the case when I first got the case - cable-side panel came off really easily, plastic vent-side panel came off only with force.

I've been contemplating my new build, around SB, and was curious if there are people who are mounting more than one SSD in the case and if so, how and where? Are there multiple brackets or are people having to right it all?

I've two SSD 80gb and 120gb and a 300GB Velociraptor (everything is on a nas) i rarely use my optical drive and could use an external one if needs be.

The 120gb is a corsair force, the 80GB is and older intel - was thinking 120 boot, 300 for scratch and 80gb for apps..thoughts?

I've been contemplating my new build, around SB, and was curious if there are people who are mounting more than one SSD in the case and if so, how and where? Are there multiple brackets or are people having to right it all?

I've two SSD 80gb and 120gb and a 300GB Velociraptor (everything is on a nas) i rarely use my optical drive and could use an external one if needs be.

The 120gb is a corsair force, the 80GB is and older intel - was thinking 120 boot, 300 for scratch and 80gb for apps..thoughts?

You can mount your extra SSDs to their own supplied 3.5" adapters then put it into the 3.5" drive cage... nothing anymore special than any other case.

You can mount your extra SSDs to their own supplied 3.5" adapters then put it into the 3.5" drive cage... nothing anymore special than any other case.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up! I've only one provided adapter so I'm covered there.

I guess if I get a micro sb mobo in hand i'll mount dual SSDs on the 6GPS intel sata, and HDD on the marvel 6.0 sata, optical on the wonky 3.0gps sata.

I should have my case around the 8th!

Very nice photos, IsLNdbOi. Thx.

With all the cables protruding at the top, is there enough clearance for the plastic cover to remain securely fitted in everyday use?

No problems at all with the fit and install.

72885353.jpg

61557929.jpg

76243818.jpg

12363052.jpg

18025590.jpg

There's a little punch out on the "back panel" that the SilverStone ClearCMOS accessory is supposed to go, but I installed a 2-port USB bracket in there instead.

Yes, there's more than enough space for the top cover to sit securely fitted.

The only problem I can see one having is if a DVI to VGA adapter or something similar is used like this:
01.jpg

Thx for a prompt and helpful reply, IsLNdbOi.

I notice from one of your photos that you use the new Cisco E4200 router. Do you find its performance, esp. at 5GHz, to be truly outstanding?

Sorry to have gone off topic...

Yes, there's more than enough space for the top cover to sit securely fitted.

The only problem I can see one having is if a DVI to VGA adapter or something similar is used like this:
01.jpg

The E4200's 5GHz performance is pretty good. I have a Linksys WET610N connected to a PC downstairs and the signal strength that the WET610N reports is at least two units higher than it reported when I had an E3000. I haven't done any file transfer tests, but it does feel faster too.

lowteckh, for a minute, i thought you were running dual 480s.

Now that would be something!

How are the 460s in there?

I wonder what the most powerful gpu solution is that would work in this case.

Dual 6970s/NV equivalent is my guess as you can remove/swap fans on the bottom to accommodate dual cards...heat is another story )

The case can fit two HD5970s (though maybe not with the 120mm fan there), so pretty much any two of the most powerful cards you can find will fit. Might not be that quiet though.

Getting this external BD drive for the rippin' (hopefully it rips...).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-Index-_-ExternalCDDVDDrives-_-27135239-L012A

let me know how that works
if I get this case, I'm gonna have to put my bluray ripping drive in the HTPC or the "bonus" computer I'm piecing together

ECS D510 board $55 after rebate
Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 $45 after rebate
waiting for APEX MI-008 to drop below $40 shipped

It works. AnyDVD Image Ripper on Dark Knight bluray @ 13.XX MB/s (45-50 minutes) using R2G's onboard USB 3.0 (NEC).

For those of you wondering, here is a pic of FT03 inside the Sugo Pack:

ft03_sugopack.jpg

Wow, didn't realize it was that big. I sold mine when I sold my SG03 and had forgotten its actual size.

My FT03B just arrived today - really nice looking/feeling - I'm just as impressed as I was when I had the FT02 in hand for a while, really a step up from my last case (gigantor coolermaster stacker 830), can't wait to build out!

For those that installed a slim drive, did you have to take the faceplate off? The manual doesn't mention that you have too and the pic they use shows a slim drive with faceplate.

Last edited:
You can leave the bezel on the slim drive. Fits just fine.

Have fun with your build!

You can leave the bezel on the slim drive. Fits just fine.

Have fun with your build!

Thanks! Similar builds we've got going, did you install the optional 80mm fan? I assume it is to blow towards the PCI slots to the left of the 1 st one (cooled by the lower 120mm)?

I was going to install the 80mm, but it won't fit because the H70's radiator is in the way.

Running everything stock right now.

CPU temp. when doing light stuff like web browsing, word processing, etc. hovers around 31C and my HD6950 around 63C.

did you install the optional 80mm fan? I assume it is to blow towards the PCI slots

The bracket above the graphics cards is ment to exhaust out the top panel (there are vent holes above the expansion cards, the bracket sort of forms a duct betweem the fan and the back panel). It can accept 80mm or 92mm fan.

The bracket above the graphics cards is ment to exhaust out the top panel (there are vent holes above the expansion cards, the bracket sort of forms a duct betweem the fan and the back panel). It can accept 80mm or 92mm fan.

It doesn't come with one, correct? (mine didn't have one) =D

Isn't that a really high temp for a 6950 idle? What are the temps like under load?

Running everything stock right now.

CPU temp. when doing light stuff like web browsing, word processing, etc. hovers around 31C and my HD6950 around 63C.

It doesn't come with one, correct? (mine didn't have one) =D
Mine didn't come with an 80/92mm fan either. I purchased a quiet Nexus fan to put in there, but it won't fit because of my H70's radiator.

Isn't that a really high temp for a 6950 idle? What are the temps like under load?
I haven't had time to play anything yet that would put it under load, but I've posted this question (Is my HD6950 too hot?) on multiple forums and got the same answer from everyone: "If you run multiple high resolution monitors off of the thing, it's going to run hot, even when idling.".

Can anyone tell me what the max length of the card is when the 120mm fan at the bottom of the expansion slots is in place? I know you can remove it, just wondering if there's any other midrange cards like the SLI 460's that fit without removing the 120.

To clarify, whats the max length card in the two expansions slot furthest to the left (for XFire, SLI purposes)

How many ways are there to put on a panel that only goes in one way?

Just look at the top cover; don't encourage half-assed quality. Rear of the cover with the two snap-in-hinge-things, perfect. Now what is holding the front of the cover in place? Nothing!

The rear of the top cover does have retention clips of sorts, the front, nothing. However, the cover fits snug enough on my case for it to not be a problem without cables hanging out the back.

Last edited:
That's actually what I was referencing. Just wondering what the actual length before the 2nd card hits the fan shroud, to look at things other than the 460

i would say the evga 570hd should fit fine as it is stated to be 9 inchs long.

Jen

Those that left the case fans stock, how do you find the noise levels? I'm thinking about replacing all the stock fans for the case and H70 with some Scythe GTs...the box is going to be at eye/ear level so as much noise reduction I can do the better!

Also, I was looking to see where I was going to place my two SSDs, the provided cage is great, however the one included with my corsair SSD doesn't match up at all with any of the 3.5" brackets in the case...I was thinking of going with a SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those that left the case fans stock, how do you find the noise levels? I'm thinking about replacing all the stock fans for the case and H70 with some Scythe GTs...the box is going to be at eye/ear level so as much noise reduction I can do the better!

Also, I was looking to see where I was going to place my two SSDs, the provided cage is great, however the one included with my corsair SSD doesn't match up at all with any of the 3.5" brackets in the case...I was thinking of going with a SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter.

I personally used to be a "silence" maniac and ran my past systems sometimes almost completely passive... Anyways, I gave up on that cuz' the money I was spending on fans approached ridiculous and it was simply too much work to balance out the tradeoffs.

As for noise, you'll hear it but it's not annoying that you couldn't fall asleep with them on. The H70s on full fan speed were a total killer; I slapped an AP121 for intake and used the stock FT03 fan for exhaust. Again, not silent fans but quiet enough to not be too intrusive. The noise profile would be similar to.... an air purifier running on low/medium, or a car's climate control running at medium (bad comparisons but sound is subjective anyways).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back