Silverstone FT03... matx

Finally put my system in my sig. together today. Gotta take some pics. later on. The H70 fits the case realliy well.

Finally put my system in my sig. together today. Gotta take some pics. later on. The H70 fits the case realliy well.

Really interested in hearing your experience with it, based on the rep comment about it maybe not worth it, I'm on the fence but leaning heavy based on the low profile of it.

Are you referring to Tony's comment earlier in this thread?

I haven't done any testing, but I went w/ the H70 because of the low-profile-ness of the setup. It doesn't block airflow from the fan below the CPU area / mounted above the slot-load drive.

Are you referring to Tony's comment earlier in this thread?

I haven't done any testing, but I went w/ the H70 because of the low-profile-ness of the setup. It doesn't block airflow from the fan below the CPU area / mounted above the slot-load drive.

Yeah Tony's comment threw me off (actually had an order processing with two scythe fans) until I heard more on if its a good fit/worthwhile.

I take it you had now problem with the fit?

No problems at all with the fit and install.

72885353.jpg

61557929.jpg

76243818.jpg

12363052.jpg

18025590.jpg

There's a little punch out on the "back panel" that the SilverStone ClearCMOS accessory is supposed to go, but I installed a 2-port USB bracket in there instead.

Last edited:
Yes. I replaced all of the stock fans with Enermax Clusters. I have a thing for white LED fans. :p

Thanks for the link - are you suggesting I go fanless?
I don't think it would matter one way or another since you have the angled fan right in front of the heatsink and the exhaust fan right behind it
there is a thread somewhere on that chip hell chinese forum that shows a system with it installed
looks like it was made for the case

as we speak I have a couple HDD's in the case, and another one just on top of it (Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB 7.2k rpm). The temperature of the ones inside (with a fan directly in fron of them) sits around 27-33ºC (both 7.2k rpm)...while the one on top sits at a staggering 45ºC (room temperature should sit around 22ºC). Imagine inside a case with no airflow...and a couple other HDDs together. Not good...not good at all; even with a single 5.4rpm it is likely to have overheating issues.

Wait, are you saying you're testing your hdds in an ft03? Or is this just anecdotal evidence from some other build? Because there are systems with passively cooled hdds that do fine. Google's massive hdd data research shed a lot of light on what temps are/aren't acceptable for hdd use and unless you're breaking 40c consistently, it's not much of an issue.

did you see the cooling results in that link I posted?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-hr02_5.html#sect0
it kept a 6 core 980X at 3.8GHz at 80 C with no fan and case fans at only 600 RPM

the HR-02 can be used with or without a fan, you don't have to run it passive

good luck!

I only glanced at the test, but their methods are dubious. From the article:
The side panel of the system case was open, which worsened the airflows inside the chassis and made it harder for the coolers. There
Xbit is a great site, and admittedly I only skimmed the article. Still, as far back as the 1990s and Alpha, I've run a number of cases with the side panel off and it has rarely made things harder on my coolers fanless or not.

Wow this little case is impressive, it can fit a GTX580 and a Megahalems!

I wonder if I should cancel my PC-9F and get this instead...

Wow this little case is impressive, it can fit a GTX580 and a Megahalems!

I wonder if I should cancel my PC-9F and get this instead...

It's as tall as a regular tower; it's not exactly a little case if you compare it to the shoeboxes.

I was surprised at how big the box was when I found it in front of my door. Even more surprised when I took it out of the box. I didn't expect it to be this large, but it is a unique case.

Went to Fry's Electronics and took a look at the Raven 2 and that case is even more massive.

It's as tall as a regular tower; it's not exactly a little case if you compare it to the shoeboxes.

Depends which cubes you're talking about. Compared to Mitx of course its larger. Compared to other Matx cubes like my Lian-Li V351 its about the same dimensions as that case turned on end with an extra 10cm for the connector compartment up top and feet at the bottom. The foot print it takes up is smaller than any other Matx case I have ever seen due to the orientation (plus you don't need to leave space at the back for connectors or ventilation)

FT03: 235mm(W)x487mm(H)x284mm(D)
V351: 279mm x 262mm x 373mm (W,H,D)

Last edited:
Aye. In a sense, it reminds me of the old NZXT Rogue, but better. In exchange for a regular height case, you get a small footprint which is great. The cables coming out near the top is a design that seems odd to some, but turns out to be very effective as ft02/rv02 owners can attest. It works great both for cases under and on top of the desk.

Wait, are you saying you're testing your hdds in an ft03? Or is this just anecdotal evidence from some other build? Because there are systems with passively cooled hdds that do fine. Google's massive hdd data research shed a lot of light on what temps are/aren't acceptable for hdd use and unless you're breaking 40c consistently, it's not much of an issue.

No, no. I was just stating that an HDD needs some kind of cooling: be it passive or active, but it needs something.

Also, take in mind that one of the folks here that do have a case says that his drive is not touching the panel (and thus not being passively cooled) because the holes are not well done...

But hey, if temps are ok I don't care what way its being cooled. Like I said, this is the only BUT I can make of this case, and I'm nearly ready to jump on it :D (its not available in Spain anyway, so I'm going to have to wait... :rolleyes:

Newegg just sent me the auto notification, they'll have them in stock as of tomorrow - too bad I didn't wait, I could have saved some coin.

Just built my FT03.

Complaints:
- Side panels don't "lock", rear panel always pops off when I'm moving it around
- Top cover doesn't "lock" at the front, any stiff cables = gaping jaw
- Fan wires are naked

Seriously WTF, nothing locks. Put anything with stiff wires and cables in this thing and panels, covers will pop off.

Maybe you're not putting the panels on right. I've got a number of stiff cables connected and none of my panels or covers come off...

This is what I got from [email protected] reguarding the FT03 fitting in the SUGO bag (also a concern of mine). The normal support service is down from Feb. 2-7th for Chinese New Year's.

FT03.png

Guys, lets be realistic here: 4mm here, 7mm there...are we talking about condoms or big bags? Because If a bag were so tight It wouldn't fit for 4mm...god help us when one had to put the case that the bag was designed for because you could be there all afternoon squeezing the thing inside.

Just take a rule..and you will see that 4mm is nothing in a bag that doesn't need to be tight nor anything.

Maybe you're not putting the panels on right. I've got a number of stiff cables connected and none of my panels or covers come off...

How many ways are there to put on a panel that only goes in one way?

Just look at the top cover; don't encourage half-assed quality. Rear of the cover with the two snap-in-hinge-things, perfect. Now what is holding the front of the cover in place? Nothing!
dsc01756jk.jpg
dsc01760i.jpg
dsc01757vu.jpg
dsc01759i.jpg

The rear panel will have to wait; no time to go through with dissecting it.

FT02 vs FT03
dsc01743j.jpg

FT03
2j5kn6v.jpg

Back