Shopping for a card again (3090, 4080, 7900 XT/XTX)

I just want to make sure I'm following the rules. :)

It's just that some things have changed - prices and my wants/priorities - and perspective. Not to mention, the timing, obviously.
Just make a choice my man. Your opinion matters the most.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I mean, situation is pretty much the same as you last described.
Similar - I managed to get a bit more $$ so looking at current gen - I thought I was gonna have to pick a 3090 and now looking at 4080 if more affordable ones come on the market and the 7900 xtx - I guess the chances of that series being within reach is getting better from waiting longer.

There might be some good deals now that the 4080 Supers are releasing in a few days (Jan 31) and retail price is $200 under the 4080.
So depending on your budget, a 4080 Super might be perfect. And if you want to spend less, used 4080's will probably start showing up on ebay for good prices... there are plenty of people who upgrade every single new GPU so they will be dumping their 4080's.

There are a few 4080's currently around $350 for the card + shipping, Keep an eye out and I bet you can get a great deal in the next month.
1706250069037.png

like this
There might be some good deals now that the 4080 Supers are releasing in a few days (Jan 31) and retail price is $200 under the 4080.
So depending on your budget, a 4080 Super might be perfect. And if you want to spend less, used 4080's will probably start showing up on ebay for good prices... there are plenty of people who upgrade every single new GPU so they will be dumping their 4080's.

There are a few 4080's currently around $350 for the card + shipping, Keep an eye out and I bet you can get a great deal in the next month.
View attachment 630320
:-( I know, it sounds good there - I'm in Canada, though. Americans always get the better deals - ebay - better, Microcenters - better.... price/currency conversion - better - get the picture/pattern? :)
Oh, the mailing/postal system sucks chunks too - just ask any Canadian who tries to buy anything on ebay - from the USA - Americans DON'T like shipping things to Canada - it's a hassle for them. Also, we get nice import fees usually, too.
But, yes, even with the currency conversion, that looks like a GOOD deal - too bad, it's a Ventus! Hehe j/k.

Hopefully, what you're predicting/anticipating has a similar mentality to the north - because, that would be good. The only problem is when I say my budget is $1000 - that's a thousand loonies. That converts to $743 USD so let's just round it off and say $750? That's still short of the 4080 Super price, right? Isn't it gonna be $999 USD plus whatever taxes your state has? :) Damn. :(

That's why I'm hoping for some used 4080s to get on the market - for $1000-ish and I've seen at least 2 so far. It's the first time I've even seen any at that price - used, though, obviously. Still, I didn't think I'd be able to budget a 4080 at all and now I can - sorta.

:-( I know, it sounds good there - I'm in Canada, though. Americans always get the better deals - ebay - better, Microcenters - better.... price/currency conversion - better - get the picture/pattern? :)
Oh, the mailing/postal system sucks chunks too - just ask any Canadian who tries to buy anything on ebay - from the USA - Americans DON'T like shipping things to Canada - it's a hassle for them. Also, we get nice import fees usually, too.
But, yes, even with the currency conversion, that looks like a GOOD deal - too bad, it's a Ventus! Hehe j/k.

Hopefully, what you're predicting/anticipating has a similar mentality to the north - because, that would be good. The only problem is when I say my budget is $1000 - that's a thousand loonies. That converts to $743 USD so let's just round it off and say $750? That's still short of the 4080 Super price, right? Isn't it gonna be $999 USD plus whatever taxes your state has? :) Damn. :(

That's why I'm hoping for some used 4080s to get on the market - for $1000-ish and I've seen at least 2 so far. It's the first time I've even seen any at that price - used, though, obviously. Still, I didn't think I'd be able to budget a 4080 at all and now I can - sorta.
all very valid points for up here. nothing like scoring a sweet deal on fleabay to only get raped by customs/duty fees IF they will even ship it... his point about the supers coming out is a good one, so we can keep our fingers crossed for some normally priced used cards....

:-( I know, it sounds good there - I'm in Canada, though. Americans always get the better deals - ebay - better, Microcenters - better.... price/currency conversion - better - get the picture/pattern? :) ...
We love you guys.

Hope you score a nice deal.

like this
We love you guys.

Hope you score a nice deal.
Thanks. But, in the used market - it's really risky and stressful. I have hopes for the retail/new prices to come down but I doubt it - probably not much.

Back