Shopping for a card again (3090, 4080, 7900 XT/XTX)

pavel

Gawd
I sold my 3080. My friend wanted it sooner, rather than later. I was a bit surprise/taken off guard - thought they'd want it later.

No problem. I now have enough for a used 3090. But, I kind of don't want the 3090 - although the used price here is so-so - $900 CAD and up. I think I should go to the next gen. Anyone here want to cheer lead on that? 'Yeah, yeah!?!? Lol! Also, it's not much of an upgrade to go the 3090 from a 3080, right? But, I could buy a used one now - since they usually range $900-$1000. 24gb is nothing to sneeze at. It's still a decent card albeit a bit power hungry - and going through countless sellers and hoping it wasn't mined isn't too appealing.

I already saved up $$ so that's why I have enough.

I am thinking I should save up a bit more - maybe some new cards will go on sale in the month - 3 months? Or is that too long to wait?

I have said what I do here or what I want the card for - gaming, productivity - video editing/blender/Compute - and it's nice to have the extra vram - at least, I'll have more than 10gb this time.

Used 4080s here - go from $1300-$1500 (CAD).

A new 7900 XTX is $1300 plus tax = $1430 (CAD) total.

The only reason I'm considering a 7900 XTX is because I sometimes use Linux. I am a bit reluctant to go with AMD - for the same reasons - Nvidia is supposedly better for productivity stuff - although, AMD is catching up a bit or improving - it has some decent benchmarks in some rendering tests - it's okay in Davinci Resolve (if you disregard claims of crashes.... :)) - although, I don't like the high power consumption of this series.

I'm not interested in 4060s, 4070s/4070 Ti (vram is too low) or older AMD gen 6900 XT/6950 XT - although, it would be easy to buy one now - the performance in video editing/Blender is poor.

Thoughts?

4080 without a doubt. Not sure about Linux since I don't use it.
4080 with DLSS3 (for games that support it) will take you farther than a 7900XTX. Also RT is better on 4080 plus DLSS is better than FSR etc.

Yes, I am biased. AMD hasn't made a relevant card for my use case in quite sometime.

4080 with DLSS3 (for games that support it) will take you farther than a 7900XTX. Also RT is better on 4080 plus DLSS is better than FSR etc.

Yes, I am biased. AMD hasn't made a relevant card for my use case in quite sometime.
I concur. Especially re: DLSS3, it's really picking up steam lately. Dlss2 has kept my 3080 relevant a lot longer than it otherwise would have, and I'm sure DLSS3 will do the same for 4xxx owners. Going from 50 to 100fps at 4k is huge... Fps isn't just input lag it's also smoothness and motion blur reduction from sample and hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: pavel
like this
I would also go with the 4080 (I really want to say 4090 or bust but those are very expensive). My experience with the 7900XTX has not been good, it can't play RT games very well and its is EXTREMELY hot. Like, on paper the wattage is similar but the AMD card can't reduce its power draw, say you're playing an indie game that maxes out your refresh rate but only uses 40% GPU - you're still pulling down 350-400W while the 4080 is at like 100W. I noticed right away that my whole case was getting hot and ended up having to turn my case fans way up to compensate.

The other major thing I noticed is in recent AMD drivers, both the 6 and 7 series have severe stuttering with chromium based browsers. I have to run with HW acceleration off which helps somewhat, but not totally. Also, while the Radeon software looks fancy it often refuses to apply the settings you put in it or fails to detect certain games at all. Its been a mixed bag compared to the plug and play nature of the Nvidia cards and with the time I've spent dicking around with settings trying to cut down coil whine and heat I could have just been playing my damn games.

Nvidia is fine on Linux; the major difference is just that you don't have to install drivers for AMD cards. AMD cards also have better support for Wayland (likely the future of X11) but that's hardly a useful feature at this point in time IMO (and NV will push better support for it when it's more feature complete anyway).

I think any of those GPU options are fine though I would gravitate towards the 4080 unless I got a smoking deal on the 3090/7900XTX.

I sold my 3080. My friend wanted it sooner, rather than later. I was a bit surprise/taken off guard - thought they'd want it later.

No problem. I now have enough for a used 3090. But, I kind of don't want the 3090 - although the used price here is so-so - $900 CAD and up. I think I should go to the next gen. Anyone here want to cheer lead on that? 'Yeah, yeah!?!? Lol! Also, it's not much of an upgrade to go the 3090 from a 3080, right? But, I could buy a used one now - since they usually range $900-$1000. 24gb is nothing to sneeze at. It's still a decent card albeit a bit power hungry - and going through countless sellers and hoping it wasn't mined isn't too appealing.

I already saved up $$ so that's why I have enough.

I am thinking I should save up a bit more - maybe some new cards will go on sale in the month - 3 months? Or is that too long to wait?

I have said what I do here or what I want the card for - gaming, productivity - video editing/blender/Compute - and it's nice to have the extra vram - at least, I'll have more than 10gb this time.

Used 4080s here - go from $1300-$1500 (CAD).

A new 7900 XTX is $1300 plus tax = $1430 (CAD) total.

The only reason I'm considering a 7900 XTX is because I sometimes use Linux. I am a bit reluctant to go with AMD - for the same reasons - Nvidia is supposedly better for productivity stuff - although, AMD is catching up a bit or improving - it has some decent benchmarks in some rendering tests - it's okay in Davinci Resolve (if you disregard claims of crashes.... :)) - although, I don't like the high power consumption of this series.

I'm not interested in 4060s, 4070s/4070 Ti (vram is too low) or older AMD gen 6900 XT/6950 XT - although, it would be easy to buy one now - the performance in video editing/Blender is poor.
Are you planning on running at 4K or a lower resolution?

A 7900 XTX is mostly considered for Linux use - open source drivers. Also, price to an extent. I am thinking there *might* be a used 4080 available - and then that will be the same price as a new 7900 XTX. New 4080s are really expensive here. I'd/I'll have to save a lot of $$ and it might be a while if I go that route.

I concur. Especially re: DLSS3, it's really picking up steam lately. Dlss2 has kept my 3080 relevant a lot longer than it otherwise would have, and I'm sure DLSS3 will do the same for 4xxx owners. Going from 50 to 100fps at 4k is huge... Fps isn't just input lag it's also smoothness and motion blur reduction from sample and hold.
I have a 4K TV. I want a card that can game in 4K, obviously. The TV might not be optimal but that's what I have for now. It's only 60hz, though.

I would also go with the 4080 (I really want to say 4090 or bust but those are very expensive). My experience with the 7900XTX has not been good, it can't play RT games very well and its is EXTREMELY hot. Like, on paper the wattage is similar but the AMD card can't reduce its power draw, say you're playing an indie game that maxes out your refresh rate but only uses 40% GPU - you're still pulling down 350-400W while the 4080 is at like 100W. I noticed right away that my whole case was getting hot and ended up having to turn my case fans way up to compensate.

The other major thing I noticed is in recent AMD drivers, both the 6 and 7 series have severe stuttering with chromium based browsers. I have to run with HW acceleration off which helps somewhat, but not totally. Also, while the Radeon software looks fancy it often refuses to apply the settings you put in it or fails to detect certain games at all. Its been a mixed bag compared to the plug and play nature of the Nvidia cards and with the time I've spent dicking around with settings trying to cut down coil whine and heat I could have just been playing my damn games.
That's a good point - increasing heat in the case will just increase noise as case fans try to compensate and cool stuff down. The 7900 XTX - when at load, can get hot and many of the cards can be noisy - there's a reason ppl are posting a lot about high temps - hot spot/junction temps etc. That was a concern as I entertained going AMD. The volume of coil whine complaints concerned me as well but the 40 series seems to get a lot too. I think my compute/rendering/video editing use won't stress the card as much - but, the gaming will.

Nvidia is fine on Linux; the major difference is just that you don't have to install drivers for AMD cards. AMD cards also have better support for Wayland (likely the future of X11) but that's hardly a useful feature at this point in time IMO (and NV will push better support for it when it's more feature complete anyway).

I think any of those GPU options are fine though I would gravitate towards the 4080 unless I got a smoking deal on the 3090/7900XTX.
I really prefer the 4080 as minimum for all those reasons. The 3090 can be found pretty cheap - but, there's more than just 2nd hand price - there's the seller and what he did with the card too - plus, their location.
I prefer the 4080 for the advantages/benefits of the newer tech and power efficiency. The only negative is it's a bit gimped and the 16gb vs 24gb. Oh, plus it's expensive, new. $1500 CAD here - total.

Are you planning on running at 4K or a lower resolution?
4K 60hz. One day, I'll get a 4k 120hz display. Once you go 4k and a big screen, you can't go back or to something below. At least, I can't. :)

P.S. My system/build: 12700K, 64gb, Z690 mobo - currently, using a friend's 1660 Ti for now (although, I could use the intel igpu if I have to).
Only gaming for now will be 1080p? :-/

I think you will be very happy with a 4080. Can you import one from the US and get a better deal? Or is that price after currency conversion?

A 7900 XTX is mostly considered for Linux use - open source drivers. Also, price to an extent. I am thinking there *might* be a used 4080 available - and then that will be the same price as a new 7900 XTX. New 4080s are really expensive here. I'd/I'll have to save a lot of $$ and it might be a while if I go that route.

I have a 4K TV. I want a card that can game in 4K, obviously. The TV might not be optimal but that's what I have for now. It's only 60hz, though.

That's a good point - increasing heat in the case will just increase noise as case fans try to compensate and cool stuff down. The 7900 XTX - when at load, can get hot and many of the cards can be noisy - there's a reason ppl are posting a lot about high temps - hot spot/junction temps etc. That was a concern as I entertained going AMD. The volume of coil whine complaints concerned me as well but the 40 series seems to get a lot too. I think my compute/rendering/video editing use won't stress the card as much - but, the gaming will.

I really prefer the 4080 as minimum for all those reasons. The 3090 can be found pretty cheap - but, there's more than just 2nd hand price - there's the seller and what he did with the card too - plus, their location.
I prefer the 4080 for the advantages/benefits of the newer tech and power efficiency. The only negative is it's a bit gimped and the 16gb vs 24gb. Oh, plus it's expensive, new. $1500 CAD here - total.

4K 60hz. One day, I'll get a 4k 120hz display. Once you go 4k and a big screen, you can't go back or to something below. At least, I can't. :)

P.S. My system/build: 12700K, 64gb, Z690 mobo - currently, using a friend's 1660 Ti for now (although, I could use the intel igpu if I have to).
Only gaming for now will be 1080p? :-/
x11 works fine and nvidia drivers work fine on linux.

Then your pretty much looking at a 4080 or 7900XTX, I would pick whichever one you can get a better deal on. Keep in mind some cards come with a better cooler then others and heat should not be a issue for you. You didn't mention wanting DLSS 3 or top tier ray tracing performance, so it might not be worth it to you to pay the Nvidia tax for features you don't need. I personally feel ray tracing is years away from being a needed tech and thus I went with a 6900XT and that card has been fine, runs just as well as the 1080 I replaced it with. If you hang on to your card for many years then the feature set of the Nvidia card might be more useful then to keep games at playable frame rates, unless AMD finally releases their FSR 3 as well.

As for productivity use on the cards, you likely know far more then me on that front.

yup, 4080 or 7900xtx. also, the biggest linux nut i know has gone all amd...

I think you will be very happy with a 4080. Can you import one from the US and get a better deal? Or is that price after currency conversion?
Unfortunately, no. Import fees/shipping cancels out any potential good deals. Even if the price was good after currency conversion.
$1600 (avg price here - more options/cards) = $1190 USD. I guess the conversion is somewhat equivalent to prices there. Depends how cheap one can find it there. Amazon in Canada is expensive - cheaper prices are usually Warehouse Deals, in which the box was damaged and the card might have scratches. There is a chain in Canada (CC) - sometimes there's open box deals but the discounts aren't too drastic.

That's what I understand, too. Staying with X11, is usually recommended when you have an Nvidia card.

Then your pretty much looking at a 4080 or 7900XTX, I would pick whichever one you can get a better deal on. Keep in mind some cards come with a better cooler then others and heat should not be a issue for you. You didn't mention wanting DLSS 3 or top tier ray tracing performance, so it might not be worth it to you to pay the Nvidia tax for features you don't need. I personally feel ray tracing is years away from being a needed tech and thus I went with a 6900XT and that card has been fine, runs just as well as the 1080 I replaced it with. If you hang on to your card for many years then the feature set of the Nvidia card might be more useful then to keep games at playable frame rates, unless AMD finally releases their FSR 3 as well.

As for productivity use on the cards, you likely know far more then me on that front.
Agreed. New 4080 prices here are really high. Sometimes, someone might sell one - dunno why. Wanting to move to 4090 and missed the return period? But, one can avoid the taxes, at least - which are $150 extra on the price here. AMD 6900 series are poor performers in productivity - and kinda high power consumption too - transient spikes - some stuff that are a concern - plus, I would like to move to the next gen in Nvidia or AMD. It depends how much $$ I can come up with in the near future. A 3090 vs 6950 XT comparrison, I'd rather not do. :)

yup, 4080 or 7900xtx. also, the biggest linux nut i know has gone all amd...
Is he on this site? LOL! Seriously, those are all valid points. There's reason to go 7900 XTX or 4080 - for Windows use or Linux use. I know there's pros/cons for both. I'm leaning more towards the 4080 for various reasons - but, it will be more difficult to afford the 4080 compared to the 7900 XTX, for sure.

I'm a bit concerned about gpus suddenly going up in price or increasing demand (because of AI or a new crypto craze) - since, my luck is usually bad. So, I don't know how long I should wait.

Unfortunately, no. Import fees/shipping cancels out any potential good deals. Even if the price was good after currency conversion.
$1600 (avg price here - more options/cards) = $1190 USD. I guess the conversion is somewhat equivalent to prices there. Depends how cheap one can find it there. Amazon in Canada is expensive - cheaper prices are usually Warehouse Deals, in which the box was damaged and the card might have scratches. There is a chain in Canada (CC) - sometimes there's open box deals but the discounts aren't too drastic.

That's what I understand, too. Staying with X11, is usually recommended when you have an Nvidia card.

Agreed. New 4080 prices here are really high. Sometimes, someone might sell one - dunno why. Wanting to move to 4090 and missed the return period? But, one can avoid the taxes, at least - which are $150 extra on the price here. AMD 6900 series are poor performers in productivity - and kinda high power consumption too - transient spikes - some stuff that are a concern - plus, I would like to move to the next gen in Nvidia or AMD. It depends how much $$ I can come up with in the near future. A 3090 vs 6950 XT comparrison, I'd rather not do. :)

Is he on this site? LOL! Seriously, those are all valid points. There's reason to go 7900 XTX or 4080 - for Windows use or Linux use. I know there's pros/cons for both. I'm leaning more towards the 4080 for various reasons - but, it will be more difficult to afford the 4080 compared to the 7900 XTX, for sure.

I'm a bit concerned about gpus suddenly going up in price or increasing demand (because of AI or a new crypto craze) - since, my luck is usually bad. So, I don't know how long I should wait.
I refuse to use AMD cards because they build them worse, northwest repair on youtube is full of broken AMD cards that come in for repair. There's plenty of nVidia ones too but nVidia sells a lot more GPUs than AMD does so for AMD to feature so heavily on the channel it is basically like the race makeup of prisons in the United States vs their representation in the general population.

I tried a Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX, but it was DOA right out of the box. Bought an MSI 4090 from a friend about 2 weeks ago. However, I had serious buyer's remorse simply because I've never spent more than $865 on a GPU (EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in 2020) or any computer component. I sold the 4090 for $2000 ($500 more than I paid) after finding an open box MSI 4080 Suprim X at Walmart for $975. The card still had all the plastic wrapping so it was virtually brand new. :)

I refuse to use AMD cards because they build them worse, northwest repair on youtube is full of broken AMD cards that come in for repair. There's plenty of nVidia ones too but nVidia sells a lot more GPUs than AMD does so for AMD to feature so heavily on the channel it is basically like the race makeup of prisons in the United States vs their representation in the general population.
I'll have to check that out.
I can believe that AMD has more returns/exchanges - and that is what scares me away from the 7900 series. They have higher power requirements than the Ada Lovelace cards - and the hotspot temps etc. - were a problem early on and still, the design still is questionable. Also, there's a few other guys on here who went through multiple cards. That's why I'd only consider a new card - and buy locally - so I can conveniently return/exchange it.
I'm more willing to look at used/new Nvidia cards.

I tried a Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX, but it was DOA right out of the box. Bought an MSI 4090 from a friend about 2 weeks ago. However, I had serious buyer's remorse simply because I've never spent more than $865 on a GPU (EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in 2020) or any computer component. I sold the 4090 for $2000 ($500 more than I paid) after finding an open box MSI 4080 Suprim X at Walmart for $975. The card still had all the plastic wrapping so it was virtually brand new. :)
Yes, I'm conflicted - cuz of the cost/price of these 4080+ cards - especially, new prices. So far, the most I have spent is $700 although it's more if you add up 2 cards I've had, the last 1-2 years. I doubt I will upgrade in a while - so, I am kind of justifying it that way. 4090s cost $2100 here + tax. I've noticed a few used/2nd hand 4090 cards for sale on classified sites - they are usually a bit under $2000 - some ppl claim the box wasn't opened. I hate buying used, though - so stressful and worried about getting scammed or a noisy card.
My 3080 Tuf card - was a good used card experience though - met up with the seller - did the transaction and the card was fine. 'Sold it to a friend the other day.

It sounds like you got a good deal on the 4080 - The MSI Suprim X is one (if not 'the') of the best 4080 cards out there. I haven't seen any deals for that one - some 4090 Suprim X cards - but, they're almost $2k grand. :)

Hate to say it I would get a PS or Xbox, you can get a 120hz big screen tv and a console for the price of high end VC. At 60 Hz even my 3080 is overkill on a TV.

Hate to say it I would get a PS or Xbox, you can get a 120hz big screen tv and a console for the price of high end VC. At 60 Hz even my 3080 is overkill on a TV.
Nah. My friend has an Xbox. I don't want that hassle/headache. :) When they want to open it - it looks like fort knox. Also, there's some claims they can get loud - depending on gen/model?
Plus, I don't want the gpu for just gaming.

RPCS3 has come a long way this year for the Gran Turismo ps3 games but prior to that we really enjoyed our sony ps3 CECH-A01 or whatever the one with the 4 usb ports and ps1/2/3 support. It is currently heading to California for the frankie mod to put a 40nm RSX gpu into it. It has never YLOD but I love preventative maintenance. With that model of ps3 and a ps5 you can play every playstation game ever with two boxes and hdmi inputs. AFIAK ps4 emulation is in it's infancy and there is no ps5 emulation. We might pick up a ps5 slim when those come out.

RPCS3 has come a long way this year for the Gran Turismo ps3 games but prior to that we really enjoyed our sony ps3 CECH-A01 or whatever the one with the 4 usb ports and ps1/2/3 support. It is currently heading to California for the frankie mod to put a 40nm RSX gpu into it. It has never YLOD but I love preventative maintenance. With that model of ps3 and a ps5 you can play every playstation game ever with two boxes and hdmi inputs. AFIAK ps4 emulation is in it's infancy and there is no ps5 emulation. We might pick up a ps5 slim when those come out.
wrong thread?

Do you guys care about your 4080's or 4090's VRM/ whether it has a vapor chamber?
I forget the post/guy who helped me look at the vrm....but, it was interesting.
I found this:
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1461611-rtx-4090-vrm-meta-analysis-and-feaib-comparison/

I think practically every 4090 has a vapor chamber. I am not sure which 4080s do - or how their vrms compare - to the 4090 ones. The 4080s usually come with the same brand's 4090 cooler. But, that doesn't mean they share the same vrm /vapor chamber of the 4090 version (right?).

Should I care about that at all? Should I pick between 2 or 3 cards - based on one having a 'better' vrm/phases/voltage?

wrong thread?
Negative, the reason to buy consoles is getting narrower and a nearby poster said one might as well buy a console and a fancy tv for what GPUs cost nowadays. Why do that when you can run the console game at higher resolution, framerate, and with aa and such in a quality emulator?

Do you guys care about your 4080's or 4090's VRM/ whether it has a vapor chamber?
I forget the post/guy who helped me look at the vrm....but, it was interesting.
I found this:
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1461611-rtx-4090-vrm-meta-analysis-and-feaib-comparison/

I think practically every 4090 has a vapor chamber. I am not sure which 4080s do - or how their vrms compare - to the 4090 ones. The 4080s usually come with the same brand's 4090 cooler. But, that doesn't mean they share the same vrm /vapor chamber of the 4090 version (right?).

Should I care about that at all? Should I pick between 2 or 3 cards - based on one having a 'better' vrm/phases/voltage?
Pick any. They are all overbuilt and run relatively cool. Every gen I usually go through 4-5 models before settling on a card I like. This time I just went with vanilla TUF and didn’t buy anything else. Anything from Gigabutt, ASUS, MSI should be good enough.

Problem is at a certain price point unless you are an enthusiast with money to burn, most of our my clients say above $800, PC gaming is too expensive I can get more use out of a 75 inch LG and an console. Plus PC users are biased, if you check the COD games most play on cross platform not PC. My son uses his Switch to game on more so than his 3080 rig. The Switch just works whereas PC driver GPU driver issues can be a nightmare. No shitty PC ports on console, folks times are a changing we gamers are no longer primary drivers of the GPU industry, AI is.

Problem is at a certain price point unless you are an enthusiast with money to burn, most of our my clients say above $800, PC gaming is too expensive I can get more use out of a 75 inch LG and an console. Plus PC users are biased, if you check the COD games most play on cross platform not PC. My son uses his Switch to game on more so than his 3080 rig. The Switch just works whereas PC driver GPU driver issues can be a nightmare. No shitty PC ports on console, folks times are a changing we gamers are no longer primary drivers of the GPU industry, AI is.
I'm into video editing, Blender etc. - so, it has to be a PC. AI, I agree - and someone just posted asking about that - apparently, Nvidia is the card to get for that (at the moment). So, yes, I want to get a 4080 or 4090 - in case I decide that's worth getting into. I don't know if a console is gonna help with all that.

I agree if you use it for your animation/video editing the GPU is a must. However do not underestimate the console when I attended a DoD fuel cell conference we saw a demo of a ICBM shootdown simulation run on a PS3 cluster on a Christie pro cinema setup.

I agree if you use it for your animation/video editing the GPU is a must. However do not underestimate the console when I attended a DoD fuel cell conference we saw a demo of a ICBM shootdown simulation run on a PS3 cluster on a Christie pro cinema setup.
Consoles don't use very disparate CPUs anymore, drutman. They're all x86-64 apus since 2013 (except nintendo is ARM).

Hmm. I own both a 4090 and a 7900XTX. Just recently I played Hogwarts Legacy. The 7900XTX did better at 4K than the 4090 did at 1440P UltraWide. Hogsmeade was ~75FPS with the 4090 setup vs 100+ with the 7900XTX. Turn on DLSS3 then no question the 4090 pulls way ahead but it just seemed odd to me. The 4090 GPU utilization was only at about 55% before I turned on DLSS3. The 7900XTX was pegged at 100%. I thought maybe the 5800X3D was the difference but I swapped them and saw next to no difference at all. Maybe I need to format the 4090 box. I dunno. Synthetic's indicate my 4090 is running as expected. The 4090 hasn't exactly been the dominant card I was expecting it to be. Does everything I need it to, yes, but the 7900XTX has actually been more impressive for me. Spec's are in my sig. Major difference being a 5800X3D for the 7900XTX vs 5900X with the 4090. /shrug.

Hmm. I own both a 4090 and a 7900XTX. Just recently I played Hogwarts Legacy. The 7900XTX did better at 4K than the 4090 did at 1440P UltraWide. Hogsmeade was ~75FPS with the 4090 setup vs 100+ with the 7900XTX. Turn on DLSS3 then no question the 4090 pulls way ahead but it just seemed odd to me. The 4090 GPU utilization was only at about 55% before I turned on DLSS3. The 7900XTX was pegged at 100%. I thought maybe the 5800X3D was the difference but I swapped them and saw next to no difference at all. Maybe I need to format the 4090 box. I dunno. Synthetic's indicate my 4090 is running as expected. The 4090 hasn't exactly been the dominant card I was expecting it to be. Does everything I need it to, yes, but the 7900XTX has actually been more impressive for me. Spec's are in my sig. Major difference being a 5800X3D for the 7900XTX vs 5900X with the 4090. /shrug.
You probably have a cpu bottleneck with the 4090? This site - if accurate - seems to confirm your findings?:
https://pc-builds.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D is too weak for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 on 3840 × 2160 pixels screen resolution for General Tasks.
This configuration has 27.8% of processor bottleneck .

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X is too weak for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 on 3840 × 2160 pixels screen resolution for General Tasks.
This configuration has 8.0% of processor bottleneck

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D and AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX will work great together on 3840 × 2160 pixels screen resolution for General Tasks.
This configuration has 1.3% of processor bottleneck . Everything less than 5% should not be concerned major bottleneck.

5900x & 7900 XTX - 3.2% of graphic card bottleneck

You can add games into the mix - on that site - but, I couldn't find Hogwart's Legacy as an option.

You probably have a cpu bottleneck with the 4090? This site - if accurate - seems to confirm your findings?:
https://pc-builds.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D is too weak for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 on 3840 × 2160 pixels screen resolution for General Tasks.
This configuration has 27.8% of processor bottleneck .

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X is too weak for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 on 3840 × 2160 pixels screen resolution for General Tasks.
This configuration has 8.0% of processor bottleneck

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D and AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX will work great together on 3840 × 2160 pixels screen resolution for General Tasks.
This configuration has 1.3% of processor bottleneck . Everything less than 5% should not be concerned major bottleneck.

5900x & 7900 XTX - 3.2% of graphic card bottleneck

You can add games into the mix - on that site - but, I couldn't find Hogwart's Legacy as an option.
This is great information! Thanks! It's just odd to me I get lower FPS on a 4090 at a lower resolution than a 7900XTX. I haven't really done a comparison of other games so Hogwarts is my only baseline.

Just FYI, I couldn't keep a 4090 at full usage at 4K in hogsmeade with a 13900K at 5.8ghz. Stupidly CPU bound. On an AM4 chip like the 5600X (HW Legacy does not care about your 3D cache) I couldn't even get a 3070ti maxed out there. Its just the way the game is. AMD cards do better under this situation.

Just FYI, I couldn't keep a 4090 at full usage at 4K in hogsmeade with a 13900K at 5.8ghz. Stupidly CPU bound. On an AM4 chip like the 5600X (HW Legacy does not care about your 3D cache) I couldn't even get a 3070ti maxed out there. Its just the way the game is. AMD cards do better under this situation.
Some games are targeted at certain cards - nvidia vs amd, too, right? Then there's dlss 2/3 vs fsr 2/3? So complicated and so much to factor in! :-/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/do-games-look-different-on-amd-vs-nvidia.3728970/
https://www.techspot.com/review/2652-dlss-vs-fsr-performance/
https://www.gpumag.com/amd-fsr-vs-nvidia-dlss/

I know those topics have been discussed before, by ppl who know way more about this stuff than I do.

Just out of curiosity, did they ever stop making the default Nouveau drivers a PITA to uninstall?

I haven't done a Linux install with a Nvidia card since CentOS 7, and every time I've tried to uninstall the Nouveau drivers was a tedious process.

Thankfully, the folks from ElRepo pointed out their own straightforward way.

I'm about to do an install of Alma Linux on a system that uses a Nvidia card, and was hoping that they finally fixed this.

I usually recommend AMD chipsets for Linux installs because of the above PITA.

Using Radeon Chill helped a LOT with this.

recommend tinkering with it.

Just out of curiosity, did they ever stop making the default Nouveau drivers a PITA to uninstall?

I haven't done a Linux install with a Nvidia card since CentOS 7, and every time I've tried to uninstall the Nouveau drivers was a tedious process.

Thankfully, the folks from ElRepo pointed out their own straightforward way.

I'm about to do an install of Alma Linux on a system that uses a Nvidia card, and was hoping that they finally fixed this.

I usually recommend AMD chipsets for Linux installs because of the above PITA.
Why do I think I already replied to this? :) You need to disable Nouveau driver - whether during the install, or afterwards - I think many ppl recommend booting up the iso - in safe graphics mode so it isn't loaded. If there's a chance to install the proprietary driver, you do it then or afterwards - enter safe graphics mode and install it.
You can also disable nouveau in Grub - edit Grub. I'm familiar with 'purging' it in Debian-based distros. Nouveau is a train wreck - I don't think it's worked for several years - and every new updated version of a distro - it is no better.

Back