Senate Panel Approves Domain Name Seizure Bill

So are we going back to the good old days of farming IPs or are they then going to introduce a bill to block access to those sites via IP?

There was a quote from Revenge of the Sith that I feel is a perfect fit - what was it again? Oh yeah, now I remember:

"So this is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause."

So a week after this became law, everyone would be using alternate DNS servers. Yet another Enforcement Impossible Law brought to us by the technologically inept idiots we the fucktards of the US put into power. Lovely.

Do these guys even realize that the most successful pirate sites don't operate anywhere near the US, and host their servers overseas, making this completely pointless. The US can try to bully other countries into it, but the fact remains, that they do not have jurisdiction to enforce this overseas.

It's not a bill yet.
Looks like it is going to die in committee unless the next Senate and House are no different than the current ones. This seems to have hefty bi-partisan support, so, it may get past committee, but I don't think it will.

No, making people pay via taxes for political campaigns is worse.

I disagree completely. You put limits on compaign finance, have it be a "merit based" election. Equal air time given to each candidate, mandatory debates, make the a**hats actually have to commit to their positions, and only make a certain amount of money available to spend whatever way they see fit, pretty much take special interest groups out of the election process, doesn't fix what happens after they are elected, is un-constitutional as all hell at this time, but meh :D Sure would make thing interesting.

So a week after this became law, everyone would be using alternate DNS servers. Yet another Enforcement Impossible Law brought to us by the technologically inept idiots we the fucktards of the US put into power. Lovely.

Yeah, until the same a**hats that passed this law make another law that probits US citizens to use any DNS servers outside of the US or the one that has been "assigned" to them...

Yeah, until the same a**hats that passed this law make another law that probits US citizens to use any DNS servers outside of the US or the one that has been "assigned" to them...

Oh just the US citizens? Good I'm a US resident. :p

/sarcasm, kinda.

I am very tempted to start an MP3 collection now..... Never really downloaded music, (I listen to radio and it's more than enough) but this bill just irks me the wrong way.

politics.jpg

I had a thought about music. Music can easily be free. Music is like a book, it can easily be done in a secluded manner, even by 1 person. It's not like a movie where you may need access to many people or locations.

People could make music on their own time as a hobby. With the computer technology available today there is nothing keeping "homegrown music" from being as good as anything commercial. Especially with the popularity or forums and high speed Internet. Musicians could easily collaborate over the Internet and great songs could be the result of an entire forum working together.

There are many poeple that do awsome stuff in their own free time with their own resources. There is nothing that says that making music has to be a full time job or costs millions of dollars. In fact, it could take the pressure off the artists to put out a 13 track album thats mediocre and instead put out 1 or 2 songs that have lasting relavence.

I know the allure of lots of money is hard to resist, but I think many people would be very proud knowing that 40-50 years after they recorded a song that people will still be "discovering" it and enjoying it. Britney Spears and Justin Beiber may be living the high life right now, but they will never have the lasting impression that Elvis, The Beatles, or 60's Motown is still enjoying. And thats what artists should strive for.....the art.

Yesterday the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to send the Internet blacklist bill to the full Senate, but it was quickly stopped by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) who denounced it as "a bunker-buster cluster bomb" aimed at the Internet and pledged to "do everything I can to take the necessary steps to stop it from passing the U.S. Senate."

BILL WAS OWNED! (This is the right bill right? lol) Can't people use the same name..... jeez.

Yesterday the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to send the Internet blacklist bill to the full Senate, but it was quickly stopped by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) who denounced it as "a bunker-buster cluster bomb" aimed at the Internet and pledged to "do everything I can to take the necessary steps to stop it from passing the U.S. Senate."

BILL WAS OWNED! (This is the right bill right? lol) Can't people use the same name..... jeez.

We can breathe a little easier. Looks like some people still have their heads on straight.

You can always count on small handful of politicians to vote against their corporate overlords. Normally, though, it's only a few very left-wing politicians, or Ron Paul. Not anyone else you can count on most of the time. Good to see someone that still considers the good of the public as important. Copyright law has gotten way out of whack in the last few decades.

Ok, who's with me on starting a Pirate religion?

Stop me with copyright law? I'll fight back with the real bread and butter of the 1st amendment that NO politician will rightfully tread on.

2 weeks later...

After some large campaign donations and increased support for the arts in Oregon, Sen. Ron Wyden has spoken clearly that "piracy requires bunker-buster cluster bombs on occasion.. we the people should have the right to use the biggest gun we have to stop these terrorists".. News at 11

Ok, who's with me on starting a Pirate religion?

Stop me with copyright law? I'll fight back with the real bread and butter of the 1st amendment that NO politician will rightfully tread on.

I'm catholic so no... but I might join in on the effort.

2 weeks later...

After some large campaign donations and increased support for the arts in Oregon, Sen. Ron Wyden has spoken clearly that "piracy requires bunker-buster cluster bombs on occasion.. we the people should have the right to use the biggest gun we have to stop these terrorists".. News at 11

Hah, I doubt it would be on the news, he'd want to keep it on the down-low and he would just do it without anyone knowing before it's too late.

I disagree completely. You put limits on compaign finance, have it be a "merit based" election. Equal air time given to each candidate, mandatory debates, make the a**hats actually have to commit to their positions, and only make a certain amount of money available to spend whatever way they see fit, pretty much take special interest groups out of the election process, doesn't fix what happens after they are elected, is un-constitutional as all hell at this time, but meh :D Sure would make thing interesting.

Its been tried in various states at local levels. It usually doesn't work out well. Portland, Oregon for one example. So now people don't have to look for backers, they just have to apply and get state/city cash for their "campaign". And as you said, it doesn't really help once they get in office either.

This is so incredibly dumb. You only need to be accused to have your site shutdown. No voice in court, just taken down on a rumor is all. The court system may be slow, but it works and takes down pirates once they're convicted (not before then).

And what happens when the MPAA decides someone is a pirate when they give their own music away for free? A perfect avenue for non-competition.

And what happens when the MPAA decides someone is a pirate when they give their own music away for free? A perfect avenue for non-competition.

It is certainly a way for the labels to regain the power they are losing due to the independent artists and some of the big name artist starting to self publish.
The current bill lacks due process. So, even if passed, there is a very good chance it will be set aside by the courts.

Wouldn't the obvious solution here be to use nameservers outside the US? There will probably be a market for paid-or-free nameservers overseas or in Central/South America and Canada that just sidestep the whole issue.

Or ignore it completely because most P2P technology doesn't explicitly rely on names anyway. From a purely software standpoint, an IP address is easier to use than a domain name that must be resolved, you can actually skip an early step.

This directly on the heels of pay-to-use custom TLD's is a bit disturbing.

Wouldn't the obvious solution here be to use nameservers outside the US? There will probably be a market for paid-or-free nameservers overseas or in Central/South America and Canada that just sidestep the whole issue.

Or ignore it completely because most P2P technology doesn't explicitly rely on names anyway. From a purely software standpoint, an IP address is easier to use than a domain name that must be resolved, you can actually skip an early step.

This directly on the heels of pay-to-use custom TLD's is a bit disturbing.

While that's true, but what makes you think MPAA and the RIAA wouldn't push the USA gov to push other gov... I mean, they succeeded switching over Sweden.

Back