Seasonic X-Series: X-650 Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic X-Series: X-650 Power Supply Review - Seasonic's X-Series computer power supply comes to us boasting a patented fully modular design that minimizes voltage drops and impedance while greatly maximizing efficiency, cooling, and overall performance. Being a Seasonic unit, we can also count on it targeting the users looking for a quiet computing experience.

Seasonic review: skip to conclusion look for gold. Shock a silver, who could have bested them!? Why Seasonic themselves of course. Just sitting next to me are 5 of those awesome cable bags and velvet covers they use. Go go Seasonic and [H].

Seasonic review: skip to conclusion look for gold. Shock a silver, who could have bested them!? Why Seasonic themselves of course. Just sitting next to me are 5 of those awesome cable bags and velvet covers they use. Go go Seasonic and [H].

It's got to be the fact that there is only 840w/70a available on the 12v rail. I was hoping for more out of a 650w unit.

Another excellent Seasonic PSU professionally reviewed by the experts of [H]. The only problem anybody would have in deciding to pick up this unit for their rig is contained in the last sentence of the article...

"Certainly, if you are already dropping ~$120 on a 650W unit, the extra ~$5 for the PLATINUM-660 is going to make the X-650 choice harder to make. Interestingly, Seasonic seems to be its own "best" competition."

I've seen and bought this unit for $90 (free shipping) from the egg but when this unit is at "regular price" there is just no reason to pick up this unit with the platinum being so "cheap."

I have a X-650 from a couple years ago. love it and it work's great. I'm going to upgrade to Haswell, i5-4670k, and I am wondering if the older version of the X-650 is compatible with new Haswell power states? Anything I should know about?

Thank you for the awesome review.

Seasonic makes great power supplies. I love my Seasonic 860 Platinum. My favorite feature is their hybrid fanless mode, though I find that my unit is inaudible even on normal mode.

Yep. Not surprised; I just installed the Platinum 660 and saw better OC stability on my GTX 760.

Not only that but it paid off my house, washed my car, walked my dog, did the laundry and made love to my wife!

Another excellent Seasonic PSU professionally reviewed by the experts of [H]. The only problem anybody would have in deciding to pick up this unit for their rig is contained in the last sentence of the article...

"Certainly, if you are already dropping ~$120 on a 650W unit, the extra ~$5 for the PLATINUM-660 is going to make the X-650 choice harder to make. Interestingly, Seasonic seems to be its own "best" competition."

I've seen and bought this unit for $90 (free shipping) from the egg but when this unit is at "regular price" there is just no reason to pick up this unit with the platinum being so "cheap."

Yeah, I've seen this for $80 AR on the egg. Great value at that price.

One issue I've heard about but not personally experienced is the the Platinum series can have some problems with coil whine. I do know for a fact that the X-Series does not suffer from any coil whine which is important for those who value a quiet workspace.

Agreed, I think coil wine would drive me crazy. X-series is considered very quiet.

However, the peak of ~35mV on the 12v rail is larger than what saw with the X-850 and it is well over ½ of the ATX12v specification limit.

I think you mean a fourth not half. I believe the spec for the 12v rail is 120.

Back