Ryzen Ram Speed....What speed do you set yours for 24/7 usage

Dropping mine all the way back to jdec speed 1066 until i can get mine totally stable again.....I kept getting bsod's while watching videos of all things. Im ruling out the video card since i believe its just memory related issues. I wont be bragging about any benchmark contests but at least its miles above (even at default speed) my failed x58 xeon setup it replaced. Any hot tips on getting XMP speeds stabilized is always good info to share. Maybe ill have better luck with my boards next bios update:) I had the dram voltage up to 1.5 volts with no help at all.

Yeah, I had that exact same problem on the Asus Strix X470-F, until I updated the BIOS.
After which it would seem to play MH:W okay at 2800Mhz, 16-18-18-36-54, 1.35V, but then would BSOD with IRQ equal once I loaded up the RAM with other programs.
Dropping it down to 2733Mhz with same timings and voltage made it stable.

I am somewhat annoyed that this 3200Mhz kit cannot even hit 3000Mhz, but I hear RAM prices are going to crash in the not so distant future, so I am waiting on that for now.
Also, if the X370 platform is any indication, the RAM compatibility definitely gets better as the BIOS matures.

Yeah, I had that exact same problem on the Asus Strix X470-F, until I updated the BIOS.
After which it would seem to play MH:W okay at 2800Mhz, 16-18-18-36-54, 1.35V, but then would BSOD with IRQ equal once I loaded up the RAM with other programs.
Dropping it down to 2733Mhz with same timings and voltage made it stable.

I am somewhat annoyed that this 3200Mhz kit cannot even hit 3000Mhz, but I hear RAM prices are going to crash in the not so distant future, so I am waiting on that for now.
Also, if the X370 platform is any indication, the RAM compatibility definitely gets better as the BIOS matures.
Now im just trying the timings listed for the ram listed in the qvl....i mean for fucks sake its the exact same ram with different xmp values is all anyway? its not like G skill actually make ram at there factory:
2JMPRKo6rPRNL7mGHONty8jCIeJoc0IjIdwgtGd7BTJzjMPOkL4FwLShLKKAPhJjIDhZdVFGCa6avli6QQ=w1025-h226-no.png

I plugged in the slowest timings 16-18-18-38 to see if it helps

I'm just learning as I am just setting one up right now.

I got a T-Force dark kit rated at 3466, so I'm just running at the XMP profile at 3466. Seems stable thus far. A couple of hours of prime 95 are done with no problems.

Now im just trying the timings listed for the ram listed in the qvl....i mean for fucks sake its the exact same ram with different xmp values is all anyway? its not like G skill actually make ram at there factory:
View attachment 100998
I plugged in the slowest timings 16-18-18-38 to see if it helps

Sean, whihc BIOS release are you running? You need to get in the sub timings menus and do some tweaking..Its really kind of a bitch of Ryzen..If you have the time to wake through 30 settings then you can usually get any kit working, but it is a mind numbing bunch of trouble and endless boot loops and failed memory stress tests. I would try feeding the SoC a bit more voltage, like 1.15V.

That, plus Vcore, and CPU current cap set to 120%, along with 1.4V (haven't tried lower but I needed that on my old X370 so I just kept it the same) is all I needed to clock my CPU and run my ram @ 3200 16-18-18-18 on the latest BIOS. I have managed to tweak the timings down to 3200C16 straight so far but Ryzen ram timing calc has a ton of settings and taking 3 days for Ram tweaking is not my idea of fun. It's kinda crazy how 15 years ago I would be happy to spend a week tweaking for that .01% performance boost. If I can mine Cryptonight 24/7 when I am not gaming then it's stable to me lol.

Sean, whihc BIOS release are you running? You need to get in the sub timings menus and do some tweaking..Its really kind of a bitch of Ryzen..If you have the time to wake through 30 settings then you can usually get any kit working, but it is a mind numbing bunch of trouble and endless boot loops and failed memory stress tests. I would try feeding the SoC a bit more voltage, like 1.15V.

That, plus Vcore, and CPU current cap set to 120%, along with 1.4V (haven't tried lower but I needed that on my old X370 so I just kept it the same) is all I needed to clock my CPU and run my ram @ 3200 16-18-18-18 on the latest BIOS. I have managed to tweak the timings down to 3200C16 straight so far but Ryzen ram timing calc has a ton of settings and taking 3 days for Ram tweaking is not my idea of fun. It's kinda crazy how 15 years ago I would be happy to spend a week tweaking for that .01% performance boost. If I can mine Cryptonight 24/7 when I am not gaming then it's stable to me lol.
iOqsmYy98vO_CUI_lKPJTBP8QZxtqBDWG4Pf6i97zhAVB8K_zBmZl0j-ta4zsUjT9EiG0JxaSHNbVc8RoJ4=w593-h665-no.png

dn0lI5mKhaan5Gz4xQl9JrHOuSeLSAlnbznwm3LDXhgFLedxemRLoHR3HxESO2-RwttptT11m8C9EgA7NQk=w810-h402-no.png

at least this test seemed to work.....So I am making progress...I run latest 0804 bios for what its worth. I got to thinking what pendragon was saying about the qvl for this board...so it makes sense if i match the timings of the ram on the qvl it could possibly work? Well so far at least lol

Last edited:
Hmm.

The XMP 3466Mhz setting was stable for about 2 hours in Prime95 mixed, but then a thread crashed.

I'm thinking I may need to up the memory controller voltage just a tiny bit. Any suggestions here?

Anyone know which one of these is the memory controller?

IMG_20180904_163258~2.jpg

Last edited:
try upping the ram voltage to 1.4v, it can take it.
Hmm.

The XMP 3466Mhz setting was stable for about 2 hours in Prime95 mixed, but then a thread crashed.

I'm thinking I may need to up the memory controller voltage just a tiny bit. Any suggestions here?

Anyone know which one of these is the memory controller?

View attachment 101428

try upping the ram voltage to 1.4v, it can take it.

Hmm. If I'm running the ram in spec, Will That really help?

The ram is rated at 3466Mhz at the set voltage. It's the memory controller that is being overclocked, so I figured that would be what I would need to give some voltage.

Hmm. If I'm running the ram in spec, Will That really help?

The ram is rated at 3466Mhz at the set voltage. It's the memory controller that is being overclocked, so I figured that would be what I would need to give some voltage.
It might and wont hurt to try. ram can take +10% voltage no prob. I have ddr3 that needs an extra .05v to be stable. also XMP is meant for intel, AMP is AMDs ram oc spec, so XMP settings may not work the same on an AMD system. bump the ram controller if the extra ram voltage doesnt help.

It might and wont hurt to try. ram can take +10% voltage no prob. I have ddr3 that needs an extra .05v to be stable. also XMP is meant for intel, AMP is AMDs ram oc spec, so XMP settings may not work the same on an AMD system. bump the ram controller if the extra ram voltage doesnt help.

Alright, thank you, I'll try the RAM voltage first.

Do you know which of those settings contains the RAM controller? CPU SOC? or maybe VDDR SOC?

T-force 3200 c14 here and at xmp 3200 it’s mostly stable at 1.35v. Bumped to 1.4v and it’s been rock solid for weeks. Ryzen 2600, CH7 mobo.

I just dropped it to 1.385v the other day to see if a smidge less is good.

3466 @ c14 ...corsair 2x8gb rgb - will supposedly go to 4133 but havent tried yet

Back