Ryzen Ram Speed....What speed do you set yours for 24/7 usage

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Since setting up my bios correctly with DOCP (Asus XMP) im able to run various ram speed options in what seems to be stable. Seems like Kyle runs 3400mhz in some of his articles but i dont know if he runs it at that speed 24/7. My older retired setup over clocking the ram was out of the question, nor did it help much anyway. Just curious what speed most people are using.
akoWaLERClApaspXJXwF0YSwT47UXTS6BstL0ws5sibnSKIgXhF7yiMIAJK3wq5BStRhldRnn1nB_rMPoY=w1068-h590-no.png

8Gbx2 2400 OC'd to 2666. Nothing to write home about but hope to buy faster RAM when prices are more sane.

I run mine at stock speed. Had to do a minor overvolt to 1.38v though to get it stable at stock XMP speed.

(GSkill Trident Z 3200 14,14,14,34,1T 64GB)

3200 CAS 14
Gskill b-die Kit.
Is that faster on Ryzen than say something like 2400 CL10? The latency is much lower on the latter. I know the older AMD CPUs really benefitted from low latency RAM but it seems Ryzen isnt penalized with high latency?

Is that faster on Ryzen than say something like 2400 CL10? The latency is much lower on the latter. I know the older AMD CPUs really benefitted from low latency RAM but it seems Ryzen isnt penalized with high latency?

Yes it's faster. Aida read/write is around 52-53K

I'm running 3466 16-15-15(GDM on) but I think I can do better, I had 3466 14-14-14 nearly 100% stable but I got busy and haven't gone back to finish dialing it in.

You still have a trade off in terms of speed vs timings but with the way infinity fabric works raw speed is more important(within reason) up to 3200 mhz, beyond that timings become just as important again.

I'm running 3466 16-15-15(GDM on) but I think I can do better, I had 3466 14-14-14 nearly 100% stable but I got busy and haven't gone back to finish dialing it in.

You still have a trade off in terms of speed vs timings but with the way infinity fabric works raw speed is more important(within reason) up to 3200 mhz, beyond that timings become just as important again.
the thing is i have never adjust the timings? Unless the motherboard auto adjust the timings when i change the speed? I guess it auto changes the RC timings looking at the XMP profile?

2x4gb kit OCed to 3200mhz 16-19-19 (rated at 2400mhz)

Slightly tighter timings work, but not for 24/7 stability on my 2200G.

the thing is i have never adjust the timings? Unless the motherboard auto adjust the timings when i change the speed? I guess it auto changes the RC timings looking at the XMP profile?
DOCP sets the timings when you use it.

I'll have to look when I get home. 4*16 so I am not expecting to get max speed.

3200 CAS 14
Gskill b-die Kit.

Would 3200 14-14-14-34 be worth it over 3200 16-16-16-36?

I've seen kits with both specs that are listed as running at the stated speeds in the QVL for the B450 boards I am looking at, but the CL14 has a A$70 price premium.

4*16
Stock Voltage

I have had a few bios updates since I tried to push that. Will need to play with it again.

Interesting, Bios said 3000, Ryzen master was saying 2933.

Just pushed it up to 3066 which was not stable a few bios updates back.

For my project boxes I run 8x16 2933 16-16-16, they're always on unless storms make my little row of UPS trip so often I get worried its going to start killing things. Fun matx box ix 4x8 3200 14-14-14. This is with b-die on TR4 quad channel, so divide sticks by 2 for typicalish AM4 outcomes, can be a bit better with 2xxx.

All ddr4 is a goddamn ripoff right now and for the foreseeable future: so since you need some ram to get things done you might as well get b-die, buy once cry once blah blah blah. A few % savings on TOO FUCKING MUCH is still TOO FUCKING MUCH.

With ECC working on TR there is not really a big question about memory stability once it boots and runs with good settings. Generally speaking you'll have *illions of single bit detected and corrected errors for every double bit detected, and *illions of detected 2 bit errors for every potentially undetectable 3+ bit error.

If you let your cat rummage inside your pc or spill leftover Chernobyl paint everywhere you're still boned of course. Same goes for other defective components.

Last edited:
2 x 16Gb G.Skill 3200 CL14 running just a hair under 3200, at 14-14-14-something. (3133 or some such number, whatever the Taichi bios XMP has as one step below 3200.) I get occasional prime95 errors running at 3200, even with the DRAM calculator values; I'm 99% sure that with a bit of fiddling I could hit 3200 solid, but I don't have the day or three that it would take, just to get 30 Mhz and 60 MT/s.

Rumor has it that the next BIOS update improves high speed settings marginally, but I'm not in a rush. The box flies along nicely as is.

https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-2700-vs-2700x-in-overclocking.1959195/#post-1043716092

Using some of the best G.Skill memory too!

This is the memory I have. Spendy but allows some great timing and voltages. 3600 CL15!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232306&ignorebbr=1
Can you pass 10 runs with IBT at MAX Memory setting? It seems to find any possible weakness in memory stability quit well...Only thing is do it when your away from pc since the pc will be fairly sluggish with all installed Memory in use. On the bright side you find if your cpu is bullet proof as well. My personal opinion is if it cant pass IBT then its not worth it

Can you pass 10 runs with IBT at MAX Memory setting? It seems to find any possible weakness in memory stability quit well...Only thing is do it when your away from pc since the pc will be fairly sluggish with all installed Memory in use. On the bright side you find if your cpu is bullet proof as well. My personal opinion is if it cant pass IBT then its not worth it

Yap it did pass with no problems. I am using the stilts memory settings that are a pre-loaded setting in my bios. After I set it to that, I have never looked back. I tested IBT (Could of been 10 times? I dont remember it was awhile ago) Prime95 (max memory settings) that I left going overnight. Damn good memory.

Yap it did pass with no problems. I am using the stilts memory settings that are a pre-loaded setting in my bios. After I set it to that, I have never looked back. I tested IBT (Could of been 10 times? I dont remember it was awhile ago) Prime95 (max memory settings) that I left going overnight. Damn good memory.
Not to get off track...but what cpu speed performance did you select? (1, 2, 3OC, 4OC) Im not super impressed with my current cooling.....I think 2 easily puts my max in the mid 80s

So 3466-3600 at cas 16 or 3200 cas 14? Anyone have any thoughts? Could probably get this kit to 3466 or so but looser timings.

Here is mine all:

link to ram kit:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...12&cm_re=team_dark_pro-_-20-313-712-_-Product

I found that lower timing at 3200 to have better scores in cinebench.

Not to get off track...but what cpu speed performance did you select? (1, 2, 3OC, 4OC) Im not super impressed with my current cooling.....I think 2 easily puts my max in the mid 80s

I will let ya know when I get home. I cant remember, but I do remember having to max my pump and fans overnight to make sure I was 100% solid, If I remember I think max temp was 74c?

Backed mine back down to 3200mhz with stilts safe profile and level 1 cpu level.....Had a weird glitch where it wouldn't power off and then got a memory error on next power up. (this thing has to be bullet proof for the time being and ill do more experiments on the holidays.) Not sure if it was the combination of level 2 cpu And the faster memory speed combined....but ill figure it out

I left mine on default. Sorry for the late response forgot you asked laugh.

I have 2x8gb of Gskill FlareX 3200 running at 3400 cl14 1.38v on a x470 Taichi. The Ryzen DRAM calculator says those sticks can go over 3600 but it fails to boot with those settings even after increasing to 1.45v. I think there is some boot-time voltage stuff to be worked out but I haven't bothered to dig into it further.

I have 2x8gb of Gskill FlareX 3200 running at 3400 cl14 1.38v on a x470 Taichi. The Ryzen DRAM calculator says those sticks can go over 3600 but it fails to boot with those settings even after increasing to 1.45v. I think there is some boot-time voltage stuff to be worked out but I haven't bothered to dig into it further.

You might be limited by your CPU. The IMC on most Ryzen+ CPUs can handle memory speeds somewhere between 3400-3600Mhz, agesa updates might improve this in the future.

IMO it is better to be conservative on speed (3200Mhz) and work on timings. Higher speeds with poorer timings is much of a wash in performance, with often a loss of stability do to the IMC. 3200 CL14 with Stilts safe tight timings will get you %99 there. Attempt more only if you enjoy such OCD endeavors.

IMO it is better to be conservative on speed (3200Mhz) and work on timings. Higher speeds with poorer timings is much of a wash in performance, with often a loss of stability do to the IMC. 3200 CL14 with Stilts safe tight timings will get you %99 there. Attempt more only if you enjoy such OCD endeavors.
Yep, Stilts safe 3200 timings, TridentZ 3200 Cas 14, which is much faster than D.O.C timings, 32gb (4 x 8gb) of ram in 2700 CH6 system. Other system ,1700x Biostar, 3200mhz with XMP profile (FlareX cas 14 2 x 8gb)

I can only get my Corsair LPX 16GB 3200Mhz kit stable at 2733Mhz, 15-18-18-36-54, 1.35v

I can only get my Corsair LPX 16GB 3200Mhz kit stable at 2733Mhz, 15-18-18-36-54, 1.35v

I was previously running a set similar to those (3200 16-18-18-36 1T) . I found that I needed to set voltage to 1.385v to get the full XMP speed out of them. Otherwise I was stuck @ JEDEC speeds..

I was previously running a set similar to those (3200 16-18-18-36 1T) . I found that I needed to set voltage to 1.385v to get the full XMP speed out of them. Otherwise I was stuck @ JEDEC speeds..
Yeah, it seems that X470 ram support is still lacking a bit.

Yeah, it seems that X470 ram support is still lacking a bit.
Dropping mine all the way back to jdec speed 1066 until i can get mine totally stable again.....I kept getting bsod's while watching videos of all things. Im ruling out the video card since i believe its just memory related issues. I wont be bragging about any benchmark contests but at least its miles above (even at default speed) my failed x58 xeon setup it replaced. Any hot tips on getting XMP speeds stabilized is always good info to share. Maybe ill have better luck with my boards next bios update:) I had the dram voltage up to 1.5 volts with no help at all.

QVL is all well and good, but half the time you won't find compatible memory in them. I know that ASrock's x399 qvl doesn't even list my memory even though it is one of the most popular makes and speeds for a ryzen setup.

Beyond having to give it a tiny little bit more juice (2 hundredths of a volt lol) it is solid as a rock no matter what benchie or stresser I run on my system. I have half a mind to zap in the new voltage spec with thaiphoon so I never have to manually adjust it - but I'm chicken. That 64Gb Trident Z represents $1200 CA (ouch!! - everything costs a mint in Canada :( ).

Sometimes you kinda have to look around at what others are using with good results and decide from there.

Back