Returned my oculus

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Two reasons I returned my Oculus to the store.

1. It just feels too virgin and there is not enough mainstream support to justify owning this $600.00 system.

2. The VR is nice but its making me motion sick.

I have regret in returning it but in time if more support is available and more mainstream games come out with VR built in I will buy it again. The CV1 was still too neutered and developer like that it should have been called DK3.

And I bought VorpX which was a total waste of money. Every game that I could get to work on it was still in 2d just split between two eyes. There was no 3d to it, which I understand why. But all the vorpx injected games made me sick to my stomach to play.

Im just gonna use the $600.00 and enhance my Ham Radio station a little more and come back to VR next year.

There is a reason most games don't just release a quick "VR mode"

Traditional movement systems in VR will make most people sick. Roomscale games that maintain a consistent framerate are basically guaranteed to not cause motion sickness because there is no disconnect between what your brain sees and what it feels.

Lack of content is a problem but there's always stuff coming out if you can dig through the crappy 3 week unity projects and find the fun 6 week unity projects!

VR with Vorpx is pretty atrocious unless you aren't phased or susceptible to any form of motion sickness. Even then, it's a cheap hack that really doesn't do VR justice.

Yes, we are still in the kiddie pool phase as far as VR software selection goes, but thing are definitely looking up with lots of stuff in the pipeline and a few recent really good titles hitting with VR baked in from the ground up. Once the Touch contollers arrive next month, a major roadblock will be lifted as far as needed controls go and both the Vive and the Rift will be on equal footing as to targets for VR game developers. I expect that there will be a LOT of new, quality releases for VR around the Xmas holidays going into the new year.

Same reason that I gave up on this 3D glasses 6 years ago....I still think it is somewhat of a fad (VR) and nothing concrete will happen until we have a Star Trek Holodeck.

I expect that there will be a LOT of new, quality releases for VR around the Xmas holidays going into the new year.

Lots of new games are coming out with Touch's launch. I've tried The Unspoken and I'm very much looking forward to playing it at home along with Dead and Buried.

I bought another Oculus, here now waiting for Touch.

Oh don't get me wrong. If the touch works out good, and some pretty good titles that move my desire come out - besides the outstanding Obduction (sadly released in VR hours after I returned my Oculus to Best Buy) I will revisit the Oculus again for sure. I already miss it in many ways and its only been what .. 2 or 3 days since I returned it :(

That is good to hear, hope to see some hardware breakdown reviews between the two. Christmas buying season is here.

Approximately one million of those types of reviews exist already.

That said, I'd like to hear Kyle's comparison but I'm not sure a full review is needed.

I returned mine because all the people who said Oculus was comfortable with glasses turned out to be liars. I just got a PSVR and it puts the ergonomics of the Oculus (and Vive, I assume) to shame.

Approximately one million of those types of reviews exist already.

That said, I'd like to hear Kyle's comparison but I'm not sure a full review is needed.

Rift + Touch vs Vive reviews don't exist outside of the comments of a few developers.

Last edited:
I returned mine because all the people who said Oculus was comfortable with glasses turned out to be liars. I just got a PSVR and it puts the ergonomics of the Oculus (and Vive, I assume) to shame.

The Vive feels like it was made to withstand a full speed, head first, run into a wall. So you're probably right.

I'll chime in once we get Touch controllers. I am not sure I could give a somewhat objective comparison considering all my VR experiences up to this point have been room scale gaming.

Not sure while you would assume anything. I can wear my glasses inside my Vive without issue. That said, I have found I really do not need to. Now I wear prescription reading glasses, don't need glasses for distance.

Might have to do with the glasses you are wearing too Megalith . Hehe, size matters.

Harry_Carrey.jpg

I did try the touch controllers out at Best Buy and they are pretty darn accurate in my opinion. I never tried a Vive though so I can't compare. I really think these units should come with a longer cable for room scale though or some kind of extension. The controllers are comfortable and feel pretty natural in my hands. My eye kind of itched afterwords thinking about the eye herpes thing the whole time which may have distracted my experience a bit. lol

I've found that clipping the cable to your rear belt loop helps a lot. I found a 3D printed belt clip for the Vive cable on Thingverse, works well and was cheap to print.
What if I don't have pants on? ;)

dunno what you expected.. but i love my rift. its amazing in racing simulators..

i do get sick in games that rotate (space, airplanes).. but in racing sims its awesome.

I played Half Life 2 on the Oculus DK2, it was pretty amazing feeling, but did not feel like an integrated product. The wow factor was pretty substantial though.

Not enough to get me to replay the whole game though.

I probably would have returned my Vive but I still really enjoy sharing VR with others. That and jumping in for a season of Holoball is really relaxing.

Im gonna get another oculus this next year. I miss it. But first AMD Zen upgrade if it pans out.

i bought vorpx back with my DK2 and it was such a big waste of money, in my experiences the Vireo Perception was always a much better solution (albeit supports much much fewer titles) and its free

VorpX is just like a cinema screen with a few games that support the transition to 3D..

Vireo actually attempts to inject VR capabilities into games.. eg.. head tracking.. back with my DK2 - Bioshock 2 ended up being my favorite VR experience because of Vireo and how it translated into feeling like you are "in the big daddy helmet"

with my DK2 I even had Xwing Alliance working on my DK2 and Vireo with head tracking (albeit you had to re-center) but it was pretty cool

I'm not sure where Vireo stands on CV1 support, but I know the vive they are just getting rolling (there is a Fallout 4 room scale vireo perception injection with their Alpha 2 and 3)

I have learned, if the game isn't designed exclusively with VR support then there is no worth in trying to make it pretend.

I have held off on continuing Obduction until the time I can get another Oculus and then I can play the game in full glory. When I get an oculus again next year there should be suffeciently more titles available and a better sense if there is a continuing market for the headsets.

My biggest problem with VR is the need for immersion.

I've been a keyboard + mouse guy for 26 years, and now all of a sudden I 'needed' a HOTAS, pedals, a wheel, and the Touch controllers (I'm still on the fence with roomscale, but the wireless add on for the vive would alleviate most of my issues with it... too bad Oculus doesn't have something similar yet).

All VR's fault I tell you! :D

I just tried my son's oculus and it is pretty sweet. Never tried any of them before. I can't wait for the head set screens to reach 4K level of clarity.

Back