Remnant 2 (sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes)

Remnant 2 developer: "We've heard from a few folks about the game's overall performance. We're definitely going to roll out performance updates after the game's launch. But for the sake of transparency, we designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS)"

we're going down a slippery slope where developers can now release unoptimized games and rely on upscaling as a feature

It is now all about saving time, money and being able to sell hardware for more money that can't run many games at native resolution. The customer ends up with inferior products all around.

Frame gen is definitely real and it works pretty well. I don't even notice any kind of lag with aiming or taking any actions. It does have the menu slowness/weirdness that nearly every frame-gen game has, but that's no big deal IMO. The game has the Nvidia low latency mode, too.

So far I think anyone who liked the first game will probably enjoy this one, too. At least for the way I play, I found that the game started pretty challenging (the first real areas), but it's getting easier as I power up my weapons and get used to the mechanics. I'm rocking the challenger and am kinda surprised how much stronger the pistol is vs. the shotgun. That pistol might as well be a rapid fire sniper rifle considering the range and damage it does.

Labyrinth boss threw me for a loop. It's part of the campaign so everybody fights it.
Also pet builds arent viable. Too many flying enemies. And their dps is way too low.

All the performance claims have been at 4K lol

Running 120fps on a 2080 1080p no problem.. My friend uses 4070 Ti and does 1440p.. Says the same.. 4K too demanding!

All the performance claims have been at 4K lol

Running 120fps on a 2080 1080p no problem.. My friend uses 4070 Ti and does 1440p.. Says the same.. 4K too demanding!
Yeah, 4k is twice the resolution of 1440p. I think we sometimes forget just how high of a resolution it is.

FG toggle is right below DLSS "Upscaler Quality" setting in the graphics menu.

the developer previously stated that the game would only support DLSS 2, so it looks like the inclusion of DLSS 3 Frame Generation was a last minute addition

Yeah, 4k is twice the resolution of 1440p. I think we sometimes forget just how high of a resolution it is.

that's why I continue to game at 1440p...it's the sweet spot...the visual difference between 1440p and 4K is not that big as the jump from 1080p to 1440p

I have a 4K Dolby Vision OLED display for watching TV/streaming/4K Blu-ray but for gaming I'm sticking with 1440p for the foreseeable future

Last edited:
Looking forward to giving this a go tomorrow. I guess based on what I’m reading that I’ll start with the lowest difficulty o.0

Remnant 2 developer: "We've heard from a few folks about the game's overall performance. We're definitely going to roll out performance updates after the game's launch. But for the sake of transparency, we designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS)"

we're going down a slippery slope where developers can now release unoptimized games and rely on upscaling as a feature
almost all console games have been since 1080p got popular, they are just not honest and call 1200-1800p upscaled to 4k with FSR: 4k and 800-1200p upscaled to 1440p simply 1440p, with PC upscaling tech now being nearly as good has console we are starting to have the same benefit.

Does not mean less optimised, FPS at resolution X with setting is also a choice, you can always make a better looking game but run at less FPS at X resolution, does not mean it was less optimized.

Last edited:
Anybody having issues playing co-op? I am able to play this game with one of my friends that got the game. However our 3rd player that also got the game can not play any co-op games. Public or friends only games don't work. He gets a network connection lost error. Steam friend invites don't work either, same error. Seems other people have this issue but the most recent patch didn't fix it. We tried a bunch of things to see if we could isolate the issue but nothing helped. At this point we are just waiting for the devs to patch it. It just weird that two of us can play fine but our 3rd player has the issue, other games work fine.

Wasted our 3 day early access because of this issue as we didn't want to get too far ahead...

I've been playing solo and have generally been fairing well. I found it to be quite challenging at first, but now things have normalized. I've been putting all of my stat points toward more health, which I think has been pretty wise. If nothing else, I'm pretty tough to kill and the Challenger can resurrect once every 10 minutes, too. That helps quite a bit since damage in this game seems to come in bursts. It'll seem like you're barely getting scratched and the next thing you know you're on death's door. The resurrection has saved me in a couple boss fights where I was cruising and then died out of nowhere.

I doubt this is GOTY or 9 or 10/10s like I've seen some hype, though. I have seen and heard enough about it that my interest level is growing.

ACG is pretty balanced and he's in with a "buy." His video is probably going to be the reason I may end up going for it as opposed to some of the excessive hype.

If I go for this I'm definitely going to start with Handler which has the dog companion. I would also start at lowest difficulty to get my feet wet.

Last edited:
For what it's worth my campaign maps are identical every time I reroll them.
I assume adventure mode will randomize.

The CPU is being severely under-utilized going by that video. It's funny because it's usually the opposite problem.
Yeah a 9600K bottle necking a 2060 blew my mind.
But a 4090 w/ 7800X3D only getting 70fps @ 1440p is just wrong. The playback of his videos were just a stutter fest without DLSS.
All in all this game needs some performance help in the form of a few patches before I consider buying it.

Idk, I just played it for a couple hours and it looked and ran great for me on my laptop. Sure I was using DLSS quality and frame gen but I didn’t often drop below 100fps at 1600p. Really liking what I’m seeing so far.

The CPU is being severely under-utilized going by that video. It's funny because it's usually the opposite problem.
What? Many games that perform poorly have issues properly utilizing the cpu especially unreal engine games.

As I get further and fight more bosses, I'm finding that those battles to kinda be a matter of luck. That's in opposition to me actually improving at the fight. I'm able to win them in a few tries (sometimes even just the first), but I rarely feel like I actually improve at anything. It usually comes down to sometimes shit just doesn't hurt you as badly for whatever reason. And vice versa with them. Sometimes they just seem to take more damage from the same stuff. That happens here and there in the Souls games, but so far almost all the bosses I've fought and killed have been like that. The fights are still intense and whatnot, just a little one-dimensional.

As I get further and fight more bosses, I'm finding that those battles to kinda be a matter of luck. That's in opposition to me actually improving at the fight. I'm able to win them in a few tries (sometimes even just the first), but I rarely feel like I actually improve at anything. It usually comes down to sometimes shit just doesn't hurt you as badly for whatever reason. And vice versa with them. Sometimes they just seem to take more damage from the same stuff. That happens here and there in the Souls games, but so far almost all the bosses I've fought and killed have been like that. The fights are still intense and whatnot, just a little one-dimensional.

What difficulty setting? (I'm still on the fence looking into this.)

What difficulty setting? (I'm still on the fence looking into this.)

I'm just playing on the default setting. If it's anything like the first game, you can keep playing and bumping the difficulty with each pass through the game while keeping your gear.
I think the culprit for some of this is that the game has precise hit zones for enemy weaknesses. There are a a lot of normal enemies you can kill in a single pistol shot if you hit 'em in the exact right place. It's usually pretty precise if you're playing with a pad, but I can imagine it's not so precise if you're using a mouse. Hitting around that spot does more damage, but the exact spot does huge damage. I think bosses have that, too. Your own character might, too. That's in addition to the various modifiers and RNG factors for critical hits. I think all those things combined are making things feel more random than the first title.

These might be helpful. I am paying attention to these so if I make a move I'll be ready. No spoilers.

It seems like Handler is the way to go for noobs like me going into this for the first playthrough.

Last edited:
Check the hidden classes as well.
Also remember the game has a dual class system so you have to pick 2.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I picked Hunter this time. I was a Gunslinger in the first one but I guess that class happens later on now. In the first game you could earn all the abilities and traits on any character so class didn’t matter much, just made the start a bit easier. I hope it’s the same in this one.

I’m running at 4K ultra with DLSS Quality on a 4090. Didn’t watch my frame rates but it felt smooth enough.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Frame gen actually doesn't feel too bad in this game, so I'm using DLAA with frame gen instead of DLSS. I noticed an improvement in the image quality over native with DLAA, so that is what I'm using.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/remnant-2-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/5.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/remnant-2-xess-vs-fsr-vs-dlss-comparison/

fps-differences.png

performance-3840-2160.png

Frame generation is working fine for me, too. It's definitely not capped to 60 in the game (mine has always been set to 120, even when I first booted the game) and it's pushing up on the 117 cap I set in the Nvidia panel.

Do we remember not so long ago the: what the point of the 4090 if the card does not support uncompressed 240hz at 4k via Display port 2 ?
The point of the 4090 and the 90-series in general, to me, is to continue pushing ray and path tracing in games forward. After seeing what can be done with UE5 in this game using only rasterization I still see the benefit to its unbridled power in general.

Someone uploaded a profile with all 11 classes unlocked from the beginning of the game.
I don't know if the unique unlock events/quests are still discoverable in the world, so using this may disable them entirely since the game assumes you've already done them.

https://www.nexusmods.com/remnant2/mods/13

Interestingly the 11th class hasn't actually been found in the game yet but people have unlocked it through modding anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Back