Remnant 2 (sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes)

Seems encouraging so far. Hopefully the day 1 patches can shore up any FPS issues this build has. As a game, it sounds killer. I'm definitely on board now.

Gunfire Games confirmed yesterday that Remnant II is powered by Unreal Engine 5...it appears that the studio decided to make the change fairly recently, which is why the sequel wasn't advertised earlier as a new Unreal Engine 5 title...however, it is unique in that it is the only UE5 game I know of that does not currently support Lumen (though it does use Nanite)...

Preload is live on Steam for the mack daddy early access version of the game.

I'm going to skip it because it's a Backlog game for sure.
the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

doesn't seem like a graphics showcase- no ray tracing support, no HDR, very few graphics options...the game always seemed more about gameplay versus graphics but I was hoping that the sequel would raise the bar visually

Early access unlocks tonight at 7 PM EST.

edit
https://twitter.com/verytragic/status/1682061381141446657

For those that love secrets and exploring:

No one has seen or obtained 100% of everything #Remnant2 has to offer. I'm talking about hardcore players with over 400+ hours, reviewers that had early access, even our own internal developers. No one.

Remnant 2 has secrets within secrets within secrets.

We made sure obtaining 100% Achievements is very player-friendly and then went far beyond that to keep the game rewarding long after you've hit that goal. Lots more in store!

Let's take this journey together. Explore, discover, share!

Last edited:
this sounds like an improvement in every way on the original...I still haven't played that yet (got it from one of the Epic Store giveaways)...almost like the first game was a prototype and Remnant 2 is the fully fleshed out version

this sounds like an improvement in every way on the original...I still haven't played that yet (got it from one of the Epic Store giveaways)...almost like the first game was a prototype and Remnant 2 is the fully fleshed out version
Yes it is shocking when a sequel improves on the original in every way, instead of getting worse in every way.
Remnant 2 will obsolete Remnant FTA.

I've put off playing the first game as I always thought it was co-op focused (I hate co-op) but after looking through some reviews today for both Remnant: From the Ashes and Remnant 2 it seems playing solo is fine...same way I put off playing Dying Light 1 for years as I always thought it was meant to be played co-op...but I loved DL1 and it's an excellent solo experience

It's a soulslike. I would argue coop goes against the spirit of the game and it shouldn't even be included at all.
It only has coop to sell more copies.

It's a soulslike. I would argue coop goes against the spirit of the game and it shouldn't even be included at all.
It only has coop to sell more copies.

the Remnant games are meant to be played co-op and seems designed in that way (especially the first game, I'm not sure about the sequel)...but you can still get a rewarding experience solo...the Souls games are a different beast...I only play solo but I understand why co-op is there...without it you would get a fraction of the players and it would be a niche game for hard core gamers

I've put off playing the first game as I always thought it was co-op focused (I hate co-op) but after looking through some reviews today for both Remnant: From the Ashes and Remnant 2 it seems playing solo is fine...same way I put off playing Dying Light 1 for years as I always thought it was meant to be played co-op...but I loved DL1 and it's an excellent solo experience

I avoided Remnant 1 for the same reason. Many reviews felt like some of the bosses in Remnant 1 were actually designed around co-op and weren't great for solo play. However, everything I've heard so far point to Remnant 2 not having this issue. All content playable solo without the content being unfairly designed around co-op play.

I avoided Remnant 1 for the same reason. Many reviews felt like some of the bosses in Remnant 1 were actually designed around co-op and weren't great for solo play. However, everything I've heard so far point to Remnant 2 not having this issue. All content playable solo without the content being unfairly designed around co-op play.

I also hear the same...the bosses in Remnant 1 all have mobs of mini-enemies to deal with along with the main boss (which is where a co-op partner is handy and made playing solo more frustrating)...in Remnant 2 it seems they ditched the mini-enemies and it's more of a straight boss fight

Does it feel any different than the first game?
If I didn't know it was a sequel I would just assume I'm playing Remnant 1 again. They reused a lot of animations and sounds too.
Side note, sprinting out of combat no longer consumes stamina.

5 hours in, encountered 3 dungeon bosses so far and unable to defeat any of them (lowest difficulty). Keep in mind I used a checklist and beat every boss in the 1st game on the second highest difficulty.
The main quest objective has no marker, I just have the entire open world and no idea where to go except dungeons I can't complete. I've just spent this entire time running around aimlessly looking for the objective. I think my campaign might be bugged.

The gunslinger class was also not available to me at the start of the game and it should have been.
Honestly, not enjoying this so far.

update: 0 for 3 on dungeon bosses, 0 for 1 on world bosses.
I fixed my campaign by resetting the world.

Last edited:
Played a few hours. Graphics are a noticeable improvement. At high settings 1440p with DLSS on I can get 100+ FPS. Turn DLSS off and I get 40fps. Game also does a great job at keeping GPU at 100%, so its using the resources available. Only seen a few areas but so far they looked good. Dungeons are also decent, considering the game use of procedural generation.

Gameplay is similar to the first game. Difficult enemies, need to focus on dodging attacks. Defeated one boss so far, took ~3 attempts(duo co-op). Could have made things easier if gear was upgraded before.

So far enjoying it.

5 hours in, encountered 3 dungeon bosses so far and unable to defeat any of them (lowest difficulty). Keep in mind I used a checklist and beat every boss in the 1st game on the second highest difficulty.
The main quest objective has no marker, I just have the entire open world and no idea where to go except dungeons I can't complete. I've just spent this entire time running around aimlessly looking for the objective. I think my campaign might be bugged.

The gunslinger class was also not available to me at the start of the game and it should have been.
Honestly, not enjoying this so far.

update: 0 for 3 on dungeon bosses, 0 for 1 on world bosses.
I fixed my campaign by resetting the world.

Oh well that sucks there was a review comparing it to Dark Souls difficulty.

Oh well that sucks there was a review comparing it to Dark Souls difficulty.
Yeah reviewers said it was harder but I just assumed they were terrible.
The first game was a "lite" dark souls, this game is full on Dark Souls with guns. The lowest difficulty is basically equivalent to one of the higher difficulties from the 1st game. I can't even imagine how bad the higher difficultes in Remnant 2 are.

I thought the 1st one was tuff enough no reason for masochist plots in gameplay.

Dodge is the A button instead of the B button. There's no way to change this. Sigh. Why do developers do this? Might as well make aim the right trigger and fire the left one.

It gets a lot easier once you unlock the 2nd archetype slot. Running hunter + handler.

There are 3 hidden archetypes you unlock through gameplay.

Explorer, Alchemist, Summoner.

Last edited:
Remnant 2 developer: "We've heard from a few folks about the game's overall performance. We're definitely going to roll out performance updates after the game's launch. But for the sake of transparency, we designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS)"

we're going down a slippery slope where developers can now release unoptimized games and rely on upscaling as a feature

So far I'd say I'm enjoying myself. It's tough without being crazy. The controls thing (which still causes me to duck instead of dodge) is my only major complaint. Performance seems to degrade over time, so I have a feeling there's a memory leak. I'm using frame-gen to fend that off, but not everyone can do that.

Watching this video some of the level design looks good just empty stuff. The partial effects are cool something the 1st didn't have might pick up on CD keys.

Both games have low mob density. For the first game I grabbed a mod to increase it... No mods for the 2nd game yet I think.
Running around the overworlds is very dull. Enemies are boring and sparse. Dungeons are ok.

Remnant 2 developer: "We've heard from a few folks about the game's overall performance. We're definitely going to roll out performance updates after the game's launch. But for the sake of transparency, we designed the game with upscaling in mind (DLSS/FSR/XeSS)"

we're going down a slippery slope where developers can now release unoptimized games and rely on upscaling as a feature
Well, do the graphics justify the performance? (honest question, I don't own it) Another way of looking at it is like older games you couldn't max out without better hardware than was around when those launched.

Well, do the graphics justify the performance? (honest question, I don't own it) Another way of looking at it is like older games you couldn't max out without better hardware than was around when those launched.

the point is that DLSS/XSR shouldn't be used as a way for developers to cover up bad optimization and development...this game doesn't look all that amazing to justify the performance issues...it looks better than the first game but it's not a huge leap in graphical fidelity

So far I'd say I'm enjoying myself. It's tough without being crazy. The controls thing (which still causes me to duck instead of dodge) is my only major complaint. Performance seems to degrade over time, so I have a feeling there's a memory leak. I'm using frame-gen to fend that off, but not everyone can do that.
Did they add an option for Hold to Sprint instead of Toggle? That is bugging me right now on the first game. Glad they have it where you don't lose stamina now if you are out of combat.

Back