Raven ITX Available at NewEgg

Can't wait for the ML07 version, that also looks like a great price considering there's a riser card.

Is it just me, or does the riser look too low for the layout?

Actually, I really like the appearance. I can't figure out why it's so heavy though - 8.2 lbs seems high with no major components in there, unless I'm missing something. An O/D and fans surely don't weigh that much, but maybe they do. Maybe steel is heavy?

If I'm understanding the design correctly, it looks like it is supposed to exhaust/vent out the narrow sides with the decorative holes.

Is it just me, or does the riser look too low for the layout?

The riser you see in the "parts" pic is only one of the two risers needed and included with the case. The other riser is attached to the GPU cage.

I've preordered one in the UK too.

I don't hate the look as most people are doing on here but I do like the ML07 more. Only thing I'm not too happy with is the dimensions of this, but I guess if they were making it smaller they'd lose some functionality and make it harder than it already is to install the hardware.

Either way, 14L isn't too bad, especially if it stands vertically as it'll use up less footprint than an SG05 even though it's roughly 33% larger in volume.

I hope this is the start of OEM cases with this form factor because I love it.

You guys in the US are pretty lucky to get it for $84. In the UK it's costing us £70 and that's excluding delivery which is £8 in most places!

Last edited:
Hate the look, but if it had been the 7 liter enclosure of the Valve prototype enclosure i would have bought it anyhow. They tried to do too much with the case, and in the process defeated the entire purpose of such a case (to be small). Drop the optical bay, and drop the water cooling support.

It's excessive size is really its biggest downfall, even more so than its bad aesthetics.

I think this style of case gets interesting when there are no case fans. A slim design brings the CPU and GPU closer to the vents. The video card and CPU should be able to cool themselves with their own fans. This allows the case to be much smaller, as seen with the 7 liter Valve prototype.

At 14 liters with 120mm slim case fans, I'm not sure what this case is for. It is too big overall, unless someone simply has furniture that won't fit the height of the smaller SG05.

This will fit nicely in my entertainment center.

The steam machine prototype would be the ideal, but this will do. At least it should have better airflow and can add a bigger storage drive.

I think silverstone did not want to deal with the headache of complaints they would receive if they released a more compact version of this case.

Ex. My overclocked 4770k is overheating, my graphics cards doesn't fit, this case sucks because I can't fit ______,

I think silverstone did not want to deal with the headache of complaints they would receive if they released a more compact version of this case.

Ex. My overclocked 4770k is overheating, my graphics cards doesn't fit, this case sucks because I can't fit ______,

Did people complain about the SG05B?
I just get the impression they don't want to deal with my money

Did people complain about the SG05B?
I just get the impression they don't want to deal with my money

Yeah I bet that is what they based the design off of, they thought long and hard about how not to get xinux's money.

The SG05 is a shoe box design that generates ample air flow. The steam box design doesn't have that luxury without specialized cooling. Silverstone therefore made a compromise on size.

Yeah I bet that is what they based the design off of, they thought long and hard about how not to get xinux's money.

The SG05 is a shoe box design that generates ample air flow. The steam box design doesn't have that luxury without specialized cooling. Silverstone therefore made a compromise on size.

Double the volume is a bit more than just a compromise, its nearly an entirely different enclosure category.

The ONLY good thing about this case, is it brings attention to a form factor that needs more love. Hopefully someone else can bring us the blockbuster version of this form factor we all really want, it's too bad it won't be Silverstone this time. They seem to just keep going downhill from the SG05 with every new case they release.

Valve said they will be releasing the CAD drawings for their prototype enclosure later this year. Whoever starts churning out those cases first is going to be a big winner. Hell i don't even have a computer to put in them yet, but I'd buy 2 if they were available for sale right now.

Double the volume is a bit more than just a compromise, its nearly an entirely different enclosure category.

The ONLY good thing about this case, is it brings attention to a form factor that needs more love. Hopefully someone else can bring us the blockbuster version of this form factor we all really want, it's too bad it won't be Silverstone this time. They seem to just keep going downhill from the SG05 with every new case they release.

Valve said they will be releasing the CAD drawings for their prototype enclosure later this year. Whoever starts churning out those cases first is going to be a big winner. Hell i don't even have a computer to put in them yet, but I'd buy 2 if they were available for sale right now.

They don't even need to wait for the CAD files. Just look at what CMadki4 was able to do with scrap parts. If you take out all of the plastic housing like he did, it's an extremely simple design.

They don't even need to wait for the CAD files. Just look at what CMadki4 was able to do with scrap parts. If you take out all of the plastic housing like he did, it's an extremely simple design.

Thats what they said about the Ncase M1, and it took them over a year before they had a product able to ship to customers.

Things take longer than you think. Little things add up fast. Things you don't even know exist takes weeks to iron out.

Someone could start working on it right now, and more than likely Valve would have released the finished CAD files for a polished working case before they could finish. Best to just wait, save yourself all that head ache, time and money and just snag the CAD files from valve and start pumping out product.

I have CMadki4's beta case for the Mini M3A2, and I agree for anyone in this forum we would not have any issue getting the proper parts to work in this case with a safe temperature. But we are only a small subset of people who buy cases. For me to get a safe temp in that case I bought and delidded a 4770t and undervolted the chip. If I didn't do that I would be limited to an i3 chip. Case manufactures are going to be conservative until the demand is there. Ask CMadki and Machupo how much temperature is of concern in a small case. Imagine having to deal with all the returns from people who didn't realize they could not run an overclocked r9 290x and a 4770k.

The steam cases have custom blower fans/heatsinks with each piece of hardware being specialized for that case. This means you are limited to a specific parts This is not an option for selling a case in mass and still being economical.

I agree this case could be made smaller with the removal of the optical drive and lowering the height. However, you could only shrink the front of the case an inch as that is the amount of space required to house a SFX psu in front of a motherboard.

I think next year at CES we will see the cases we are looking for when hardware manufactures see that demand for smaller parts and case manufactures can accommodate.

Edit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-ml07-owners-club

Look at the pictures in this thread where parts are in the case and you can see there is not much room to shave much off of the case. But by all means complain about the aesthetics.

Last edited:
Edit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1466816/silverstone-raven-rvz01-ml07-owners-club

Look at the pictures in this thread where parts are in the case and you can see there is not much room to shave much off of the case. But by all means complain about the aesthetics.

Theres actually a lot of places to cut space out of.

Don't need optical drive, or water cooling, or the extra HDD bay over the PSU. That saves you about an inch in depth, and an inch and a half in height right there.

Move the PSU plug from next to the graphics to under the graphics, that saves you at least an inch on width.

You think an inch here and there doesn't add up but it does. You take 1 inch off each of the 3 dimensions and you go from a 14 liter case down to a 9 liter enclosure.

Machupo is working on a sub 4 liter enclosure with a similar layout. With low profile PCI-E power connectors he was able to get width down to 11.75 inches. Round up to 12" to making fittings easier and your still talking about 3 inches narrower than this case. The Valve prototype enclosure is 12" wide, so its entirely do able at a retail production level. Hell the fancy plastic wrapping probably adds at least an inch to width and depth.

Last edited:
Theres actually a lot of places to cut space out of.

Don't need optical drive, or water cooling, or the extra HDD bay over the PSU. That saves you about an inch in depth, and an inch and a half in height right there.

Move the PSU plug from next to the graphics to under the graphics, that saves you at least an inch on width.

You think an inch here and there doesn't add up but it does. You take 1 inch off each of the 3 dimensions and you go from a 14 liter case down to a 9 liter enclosure.

Machupo is working on a sub 4 liter enclosure with a similar layout. With low profile PCI-E power connectors he was able to get width down to 11.75 inches. Round up to 12" to making fittings easier and your still talking about 3 inches narrower than this case. The Valve prototype enclosure is 12" wide, so its entirely do able at a retail production level. Hell the fancy plastic wrapping probably adds at least an inch to width and depth.

Remember that most non-reference GPU coolers are wider than the PCB so that trade-off in width/cooling performance would have to factored in as well.

I love the idea of these, I'm just too much of a PSU control freak to buy anything with a preinstalled PSU. Any good/bad about the PSUs in these?

I love the idea of these, I'm just too much of a PSU control freak to buy anything with a preinstalled PSU. Any good/bad about the PSUs in these?

There is no PSU in it. You have to source your own. It supports SFX sized PSUs.

Silverstone makes very nice SFX PSUs. The best one availible is a 450W Modular PSU. At CES they were showing off a 550W 80PLUS Gold SFX Modular PSU which should hopefully showning up for release around this time since Raven Z is out, and ML07 on the horizon.

I like the look (mainly just aesthetic) of this case. I don't even really have a good understanding of why, I just do.

I have this case, and my pics are in that OCN thread. This thing is packed, there is no nice way to put it. If you wanted smaller, prepare to sacrifice components. Personally, I have a 290 Tri-X, water cooled i5 4670k with a nice OC and three drives. I can live with it being slightly larger than an Xbone or PS4 to get all that hardware in a nice slim package.

Just like with the Prodigy and 250D and other recent ITX cases, large case manufacturer that caters towards the broadest customer base doesn't make the super extreme tiny weighs less than a teacup chihuahua case. Unfortunately that seems to be the realm of custom work still because there are just too many limitations for average joe to work around. Having to research your parts to fit the case you bought is not going to cross his mind.

Fun fact: I have the SG05 as well, and if you folded this thing in half you'd have almost the same size case. Except the SG05 can't fit a 13" graphics card.

Silverstone makes very nice SFX PSUs. The best one availible is a 450W Modular PSU. At CES they were showing off a 550W 80PLUS Gold SFX Modular PSU which should hopefully showning up for release around this time since Raven Z is out, and ML07 on the horizon.

That's good news then. I'll probably do a cpu/mobo upgrade on the daily soon and have wanted to build a SFF for a while, so this may be in my future.

Can't wait for the ML07 version, that also looks like a great price considering there's a riser card.

I'd like to see pricing/availability for the ML07 version too. $85 shipped from Amazon for the Raven is reasonable. If the ML07 hits for 75% of the price, I might have to get one just to play with.

If you do get one Zap, please do a build log. I enjoy your build logs. :D

Thanks! I guess I didn't post one for my most recent (a year ago) in my Lian Li PC-Q11B, and of course I stopped updating my ISK 300 thread even though that system now sports socket 1150 and a Radeon 7750. I guess I feel that if there are already build logs on a specific case, then I'm not bringing anything new unless I do some mods or have some interesting configuration.

Then again, I did shoehorn a 9.5" graphics card into that Q11B with mere millimeters to spare, plus AIO liquid cool the CPU... Maybe I'll see if I still have pics and post a write-up?

Back