Ranking of Linux Distrubitions from Best to Evil

Debian is too restrictive to suit me. As installed you can't do squat poop until you add yourself to the SUDO list. This is just plain stupid. To purposely cripple a fresh install makes no sense at all. Plus, having to enter the user name each time you log in is unnecessary. I'm sticking with Mint. But at least now I understand why there have been so many Debian spin offs. :p

He really wrong in a lot ways. Most distros have a purpose and for some users it's what they want. For example someone may want an Arch like distro but not deal with Arch itself. That's where a distro like Manjaro comes along. It's a more curated version of Arch for people who don't want the 100% bleeding edge of pure Arch. Now I use Arch. I won't use Manjaro because I don't like my Arch experience to be like that, but that doesn't make it pointless for others.

I'm not one of the people on the hate Red Hat bandwagon. I understand what they're doing and why they're doing it. Most of the haters are just cheap MFers who want a Linux OS to be bug for bug with RHEL without having to give up an email address or a little bit of money. Those same haters also never bothered to investigate all the ways Red Hat gave users to keep RHEL going in their test environments and more when they killed CentOS.
Ubuntu? His complaint was the snap package for Firefox? The one that Mozilla backed and supports and agreed to do? If you're going to hate on Ubuntu for that then you better hate on Mozilla while you're at it for that. Now if you want to discuss the merits of Snaps in general...well that's a different topic.

Some of his other "pointless" distros he apparently completely missed the point. ElementaryOS is a perfect example. Yes, it's Ubuntu based but Pantheon (their DE) is quite nice for a new user. Let's not even talk about all the work they've done for flatpak and their app store which can actually pay developers for their work.

His take on Kali Linux is complete bullshit and on and on.

In all honesty I think this is a clickbait video which was done purposely to enrage people for the views.
You have no problem with Red Hat? You read all the complaints? It certainly doesn't sound like it. You know they're owned by IBM, right? I found faults with his video but that's not one of them.
Linux fragmented into too many distros - it's been doing that for a while. People who make that argument, I find it very difficult to play devil's advocate and disagree with them. Even if I try to argue it's about 'freedom' or whatever - it is just making it more difficult for everyone - since those same ppl who 'defected' or joined a 'fork' or whatever - could be helping the other developers and bug testers of the ones they left.

IT ppl often behave like toddlers and babies - they can't get along - and their petty disagreements lead to 'leaving' - although, they usually leave in a very mature way (well, not always). One can just check out the mailing lists for how some of they behave or the 'disagreements' they sometimes have.

I understand the debate between distros and ppl who criticize the ones 'owned by corporations/corporate-owned' vs community-owned. I'm inclined to agree with those who gravitate towards the community-driven ones. That's why I'm considering using (switching to?) Debian. I have used Ubuntu - and they keep kicking themselves in the behind. From their telemetry (to Amazon), Unity and now Snaps - they are driving a lot of users away. Red Hat/IBM are driving ppl away from RHEL and maybe even Fedora. There's so many distros now - so many forks and new ones popping up all the time - why can't some of these ppl combine 'forces' and just improve the ones we have now? I guess that just shows how human nature works or how ppl and their quirks annoy ppl or that ppl have different directions? I dunno but I don't think it's a good thing anymore.

Then there's the concern about the corporate backing of many of these - I don't think their 'goals' are agreeable or align up with the FOSS/Linux ethos but whatever - some ppl will disagree (with me), I'm certain.

That's why Linux neckbeards hate it so much. They don't want Linux to look like windows. But they also want it to be "the year of linux", which would require people to port to Linux vs windows. You would think a version that makes it relatively easy would be praised, but alas! The NB's hate it for that very reason.

Linux easy? Bad! Why won't people move to it?!
One of the 'good' things Ubuntu did is to 'dumb down' or simplify a lot of 'Linux stuff' - there was less reliance on CLI and they offered more GUI options - improved the install process and other 'improvements.' Ubuntu increased in popularity for some reason, right? Also, Mint was doing this too - they concentrated a lot on the user experience and interface.

One of the 'good' things Ubuntu did is to 'dumb down' or simplify a lot of 'Linux stuff' - there was less reliance on CLI and they offered more GUI options - improved the install process and other 'improvements.' Ubuntu increased in popularity for some reason, right? Also, Mint was doing this too - they concentrated a lot on the user experience and interface.
I agree. Mint is one of the best out there for Linux converts. That doesn't nullify my argument. People who have been using Linux for decades want windows to be number 2. To do that you need a version, like mint, that's similar or at least easier to navigate.

But you can find plenty of hate for Mint out there. Mostly directed towards it being too dumbed down and easy to use. Things like "you aren't a real Linux user if you use XYZ distro". Or the famous "RTFM" when asking for help. I'll tell you right now, I use Linux daily and even I find the manuals confusing as hell, over jargoned, pompous.

I agree. Mint is one of the best out there for Linux converts. That doesn't nullify my argument. People who have been using Linux for decades want windows to be number 2. To do that you need a version, like mint, that's similar or at least easier to navigate.

But you can find plenty of hate for Mint out there. Mostly directed towards it being too dumbed down and easy to use. Things like "you aren't a real Linux user if you use XYZ distro". Or the famous "RTFM" when asking for help. I'll tell you right now, I use Linux daily and even I find the manuals confusing as hell, over jargoned, pompous.

The enormous amount of outdated and just plain wrong info on the Internet is also worth mentioning. Looking for an answer to a Linux question is beyond painful.

Windows is really dumbed down, though - most installs are 'point and click.' In Linux, sometimes, it's better to use the command line - to update/upgrade/ install whatever software or drivers. You have to be a little computer literate. I don't think Linux will ever be 'number 1' unless it drastically changes - and that is probably a bad thing (if that happens)? I think it can be a viable alternative but 'replacing' Windows - I doubt it. I think the core values and essence of Linux would change if that happened - and it probably wouldn't be a good outcome.

Can it become more polished and 'user friendly' without becoming 'Windows?' Yes, I think so. It already improved and changed a lot. But, there's a lot of fragmentation within the Linux world and also, a lot of it is hardware working - and figuring things out - which many ppl don't want to put forth the effort and time to do. I use forums, Linux/distro support sources online and web searches - plus, my memory is not as good as it once was. I admit it. I concede all that but I also acknowledge that it's 'easier' in Windows..... Windows and MacOS - have made it so the noob/computer illiterate (not sure how else to describe? the average user who just wants things 'to work') can use their PC - although, they'll encounter headaches and problems, too - obviously - but, the solution in Linux is often more complicated and elaborate. Only determined ppl will tolerate or persist with that process (imho).

For e.g., compare installing video drivers, nvidia or amd, in Windows vs Linux (Amd proprietary, I mean - I suppose the free ones will usually be easier - already installed in many cases?). For Linux, there's often a learning curve - since, most ppl will already be used to Windows and ways of doing things in the Windows world.

The average Windows user takes one look at Linux and says "Nope, I don't like it". They'll never give it a chance. Truth is, Linux is not Windows and will never be. In order to use it successfully you have to learn how to use it while at the same time you have to lose the Windows mindset. This is beyond the capabilities of most people. Especially old people who are set in their ways.

The average Windows user takes one look at Linux and says "Nope, I don't like it". They'll never give it a chance. Truth is, Linux is not Windows and will never be. In order to use it successfully you have to learn how to use it while at the same time you have to lose the Windows mindset. This is beyond the capabilities of most people. Especially old people who are set in their ways.
Exactly. I know ppl who 'like' Linux in principle - as compared to Windows but they won't give it a chance. They're too set in their ways. Good way to describe them. Creatures of habit or whatever.

I have to disagree here on principle. If Windows (mostly) works for me, why do I need to learn how to use Linux well. If I have a stable of Windows programs and utilities, and I've mastered some of the arcana around the Registry and filesystems, why do I need to put in the effort to recreate that in Linux? To be clear, I'm not a Computer Science type.

Sure I am a computer hobbyist, but I'm also a computer user. I have gone almost 100% paperless, and use a shit-ton of software to "manage" my personal and professional life. Windows does frustrate me sometimes, but there are many online resources.

There is nothing wrong with well-designed "point and click" software. I like software where the UI or "quirks" don't get in my way, and I like the ability to process some data in different applications as part of my workflow.

I have nothing to prove here, so I like a polished UI to reduce "friction."

I guess I would use the same arguments if someone said to me, "Dude, you have to get an apple box and learn OSX." Same if I were an Apple user and someone insisted that I needed to switch to Windows.

Last edited:
I have to disagree here on principle. If Windows (mostly) works for me, why do I need to learn how to use Linux well. If I have a stable of Windows programs and utilities, and I've mastered some of the arcana around the Registry and filesystems, why do I need to put in the effort to recreate that in Linux? To be clear, I'm not a Computer Science type.

Sure I am a computer hobbyist, but I'm also a computer user. I have gone almost 100% paperless, and use a shit-town of software to "manage" my personal and professional life. Windows does frustrate me sometimes, but there are many online resources.

is nothing wrong with well-designed "point and click" software. I like software where the UI or "quirks" don't get in my way, and I like the ability to process some data in different applications as part of my workflow.

I have nothing to prove here, so I like a polished UI to reduce "friction."

I guess I would use the same arguments if someone said to me, "Dude, you have to get an apple box and learn OSX. Same if I were an Apple user and someone insisted that I needed to switch to Windows.
There a lot of reasons to use Linux. Windows/Microsoft is one, by itself. :) What's the relevance of being paperless? Windows drivers usually work on most printers. :)

Your initial question, though, is absolutely legit. Why do you have to use Linux if you know Windows and it works for you. Yes, you're totally justified feeling that way.

But, some people, myself included, like to have options and we have a principled reason - we don't trust Microsoft and don't like what they do. Linux, for the most part, leaves the user alone. You don't have to worry about viruses, being required to buy new software and a host of other obligations or having limited options.

But on the desktop? Ask software developers what they need? I'm sure that they will say a consistent GUI across many brands of PCs, laptops, etc and a consistent and stable API, to make development and installation as simple as possible. How do all the different distros with their various GUI desktops and "optimizations" help them here? It surely increases the test phase of software development. And it relegates desktop Linux to low single digits in market share, well behind even Apple and MacOS.
And I believed that the whole point of separating the desktop environment of Linux (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc.) was to allow this consistent experience regardless of the underlying distro flavor.

You don't have to worry about viruses
Mac users used to say that too. As far as I'm aware, there isn't even a desktop real time anti-virus available for Linux anyway to know. (no, I don't count Wiresharking your own network traffic as anti-virus :p).

being required to buy new software
That's true, but you pay for it in lack of quality and standards, as well as time spent relearning.

There a lot of reasons to use Linux. Windows/Microsoft is one, by itself. :)
It gets the job done for me, so I can concentrate on things I want to do. Since I already know Windows, I'd rather tweak Windows than Linux.

What's the relevance of being paperless? Windows drivers usually work on most printers. :)
For me, being paperless is a complete workflow. I download all my banking transactions and statements. All that gets processed in Quicken without any paper.

I download my monthly Comcast, utility, AT&T, you name it, bills and file them on my system. That means no opening mail, no wasting time (no other way to put it) filing away paper statements, writing out physical checks, etc. And I don't waste space in my desk drawer with all those paper statements, that I should throw out after 3-4 years anyway. I pay all these bills on my online bank website. Some of them are on auto-repeat since they never change. THAT is what I mean by paperless. Quicken has a lousy user interface, but it allow me to manage all my finances. Quicken runs on only Windows and Mac. No Linux, sorry.

Your initial question, though, is absolutely legit. Why do you have to use Linux if you know Windows and it works for you. Yes, you're totally justified feeling that way.

Thanks. That statement means you are not a Linux zealot, which is good.
But, some people, myself included, like to have options and we have a principled reason - we don't trust Microsoft and don't like what they do.
That's also a good reason. I don't entirely trust Microsoft but I can say the same about Comcast, AT&T (no doubt sucking up all my call metadata and giving it to No Such Agency). My bank I do trust (they are heavily regulated) but the website is second-rate, and they don't listen too well. I also regard Google and Facebook with extreme mistrust. I hardly ever use FB these days. And Twitter, now "X", is a very hot mess.

Linux, for the most part, leaves the user alone. You don't have to worry about viruses, being required to buy new software and a host of other obligations or having limited options.
Windows gives me the most options. I don't use MacOS, but if I had to stop using Windows, I would go MacOS. It's a mainstream desk OS, unlike Linux.

If/when/ever Quicken and Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom,and all the plug-ins for these programs also ran on Linux, then I would consider it. But I'm not exactly holding my breadth.

Mac users used to say that too. As far as I'm aware, there isn't even a desktop real time anti-virus available for Linux anyway to know. (no, I don't count Wiresharking your own network traffic as anti-virus :p).

That's true, but you pay for it in lack of quality and standards, as well as time spent relearning.
Well, afaik (unless, something has changed), the 2 main reasons: virus creators typically focus on Windows (OS/software) but the 2nd reason is that Linux has inherent security built-in - Linux is often used for servers and hosts - so, it needs to be secure. Some hardcore Linux ppl don't like that some distros don't have various security software/utilities installed/configured by default but for the average (Windows) user - Linux is a lot better if you value avoiding malware/viruses (i.e. it's ultra-important to you). You typically don't need anti-virus programs and most of the browsers offer ad blockers etc. - same as Windows - but, Linux doesn't need all those programs - and MS isn't 'communicating/collecting info' every 2 minutes when you're using Linux (instead). :)

Sometimes, it's good to re-learn, keep things refresh or learn new things. I think it's good but I will concede/warn, that it can be frustrating too, at times - depending on what you are doing, which distro/system you are using and what your previous experience/background is.

It gets the job done for me, so I can concentrate on things I want to do. Since I already know Windows, I'd rather tweak Windows than Linux.

For me, being paperless is a complete workflow. I download all my banking transactions and statements. All that gets processed in Quicken without any paper.

I download my monthly Comcast, utility, AT&T, you name it, bills and file them on my system. That means no opening mail, no wasting time (no other way to put it) filing away paper statements, writing out physical checks, etc. And I don't waste space in my desk drawer with all those paper statements, that I should throw out after 3-4 years anyway. I pay all these bills on my online bank website. Some of them are on auto-repeat since they never change. THAT is what I mean by paperless. Quicken has a lousy user interface, but it allow me to manage all my finances. Quicken runs on only Windows and Mac. No Linux, sorry.

Thanks. That statement means you are not a Linux zealot, which is good.

That's also a good reason. I don't entirely trust Microsoft but I can say the same about Comcast, AT&T (no doubt sucking up all my call metadata and giving it to No Such Agency). My bank I do trust (they are heavily regulated) but the website is second-rate, and they don't listen too well. I also regard Google and Facebook with extreme mistrust. I hardly ever use FB these days. And Twitter, now "X", is a very hot mess.

Windows gives me the most options. I don't use MacOS, but if I had to stop using Windows, I would go MacOS. It's a mainstream desk OS, unlike Linux.

If/when/ever Quicken and Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom,and all the plug-ins for these programs also ran on Linux, then I would consider it. But I'm not exactly holding my breadth.
Right, I'm not a zealot but I'm willing to offer criticism to Windows (even though I also use it) and the drawbacks/negatives. :)

Yes, most of those programs are good because ppl are paid a lot to 'keep them good' and encourage ppl to (keep) pay(ing) for them. There's incentive there.

But, they also have drawbacks or invite concern - there's little choice once you commit - MS often requires payments/subscriptions - and they are determined to keep you into that sphere, right?

I am reluctant or wary of sharing/offering all my personal info to all these big companies and corporations - and I agree, there is justification for not trusting Google et. al. One good thing about Linux is all the choice of programs - and so far, there's choice of 'smaller programs' and some are run by smaller companies. I prefer to go that route. I am kind of concerned about the paperless system/society we are headed towards. I just thought I'd mention it. I understand the convenience that ppl enjoy with all the changes but I can't help but think it can't be a good thing, ultimately.

Linux will make you cuss. Deal with it for the greater good.
Yep. I have told myself to take it easy - when I use it (or whenever I use it) increasingly. Easier said than done but it's good for one's health.

I've recently been test driving Debian so I kinda know how tight Linux security can be. I've managed to overcome most of the hurdles but it hasn't been easy. Whether or not I migrate my main rig to Debian is yet to be seen. There are things I don't like that I might be able to get used to, maybe not. The jury is still out. But will say this, it boots up a helluva lot faster than Mint. Blink and you'll miss it. And it also doesn't pester you 10 times a day to install updates, I like this. But I truly think it's stupid to be sitting in front of a brand new install and be totally powerless. First thing you need to do is add yourself to the sudo list. Before you do you're not even allowed to fart. In this regard and several others, Debian is a prime example of stupid is as stupid does, like Forrest Gump's mama said.

Yes, most of those programs are good because ppl are paid a lot to 'keep them good' and encourage ppl to (keep) pay(ing) for them. There's incentive there.

Money makes the world go round. No pay, no play.
But, they also have drawbacks or invite concern - there's little choice once you commit - MS often requires payments/subscriptions - and they are determined to keep you into that sphere, right?

I am reluctant or wary of sharing/offering all my personal info to all these big companies and corporations

Agreed. I always opt out of "feedback to help us improve our products" and on forums, I don't really provide any identifying information. And my forum IDs are usually nyms,
- and I agree, there is justification for not trusting Google et. al.
Not more than you could throw them. I also don't trust Facebook one bit. I have given them no information about who I am, what I do, etc. I never do any posts there, except to one forum devoted to photo gear. Yet, yet, yet, their ads are clearly targeted to me, considering my age, where I live, etc. HTF are they getting all this information?

One good thing about Linux is all the choice of programs - and so far, there's choice of 'smaller programs' and some are run by smaller companies. I prefer to go that route.

I am kind of concerned about the paperless system/society we are headed towards.
I've been scanning old paper docs, and then recycling (sometimes secure shredding) these old docs.

And a cashless society. I am a US citizen, but on week-long trips to England or Germany, I have done no cash transactions. Everything is paid by credit or debit card. If I did need cash, I would get some from an ATM machine. (But you need a chip-based card for that.)

I just thought I'd mention it. I understand the convenience that ppl enjoy with all the changes but I can't help but think it can't be a good thing, ultimately.
I don't miss having to carry around a checkbook.

Debian is too restrictive to suit me. As installed you can't do squat poop until you add yourself to the SUDO list. This is just plain stupid. To purposely cripple a fresh install makes no sense at all. Plus, having to enter the user name each time you log in is unnecessary. I'm sticking with Mint. But at least now I understand why there have been so many Debian spin offs. :p
It’s not stupid, it is the proper way to keep some baseline security. Everyone just got used to Windows first user being Administrator. Which even these days your main user should not be an Administrator. You should elevate when needed and only when needed, not run 24/7 as an elevated user.

If everyone actually did this the amount of exploited and compromised people would drop massively overnight.

You should be doing the same with Mint or any distribution.

There a lot of reasons to use Linux. Windows/Microsoft is one, by itself. :) What's the relevance of being paperless? Windows drivers usually work on most printers. :)

But, some people, myself included, like to have options and we have a principled reason - we don't trust Microsoft and don't like what they do. Linux, for the most part, leaves the user alone. You don't have to worry about viruses, being required to buy new software and a host of other obligations or having limited options.
Just to correct this, you do have to worry about virus and exploits and more so now than before as more and more Linux exploits are coming out these days so let’s unlearn the “Linux isn’t targeted cause market share” mentality and be sure we keep our Linux systems secure as well.

If I was a fortune 500 company I'd be concerned about security but I'm not. Not in the least. My entire server farm uses the same password. My daily driver, my HTPC, my backup daily driver and my Win 10 computer use a slightly different paasword. The only real security concern i have is my ip cams, I really don't want China watching me as a romp through the nekkid so the cams are on a non routable subnet and my Blue Iris password would take a quantum computer 100 years to crack. So there. :p

Just to correct this, you do have to worry about virus and exploits and more so now than before as more and more Linux exploits are coming out these days so let’s unlearn the “Linux isn’t targeted cause market share” mentality and be sure we keep our Linux systems secure as well.
Care to elaborate? What viruses are they? How would they execute? Many distros have built-in security and even if they don't - it's not too difficult to enable/install it.

One difference in Linux vs Windows - for security and viruses - is that many Windows users are not using Administrator - so, they are able to do whatever they want. Whereas, the default in Linux - to do anything 'major' - they have to log into admin/super user/root.

The average Windows user takes one look at Linux and says "Nope, I don't like it". They'll never give it a chance. Truth is, Linux is not Windows and will never be.
The average Windows user is 99% an Internet browser user. Doubt many of them would find Linux too different.

I've tried a handful of distros and Pop!_OS is the one I like best. Still not ready to dump Windows and go all-in with Linux, but I like playing with it on my MB Air.

What do you like about Pop?
Mostly it's Pop's compatibility with the apps/programs I use most. It's also pretty good for gaming on my desktop. I still consider myself a rank amateur at Linux so my experience isn't very broad.

Care to elaborate? What viruses are they? How would they execute? Many distros have built-in security and even if they don't - it's not too difficult to enable/install it.

One difference in Linux vs Windows - for security and viruses - is that many Windows users are not using Administrator - so, they are able to do whatever they want. Whereas, the default in Linux - to do anything 'major' - they have to log into admin/super user/root.
Not sure if a typo, but most Windows users are administrators, the default account created for a user in Windows is an Administrator. Also many distro's will default add the created user into the sudo'rs so a separate root account is not required, they do this to help adoption, sure, most people using linux, hopefully, have a seperate root and user accounts with different passwords, but I am willing to bet just as many use either the same password, or just add their user account into the sudo'rs file for full rights simple for convinience.

Certainly Windows is still the #1 target, but just some example of exploits and ransomware is now being written for Linux and it is only going to get worse because most IoT devices run some form of *nix an those are some of the most compromised devices out there these days (mainly due to crappy coding and security in the products)

New Linux Ransomware Strain BlackSuit Shows Striking Similarities to Royal - 2023
https://thehackernews.com/2023/06/new-linux-ransomware-strain-blacksuit.html

The Royal Menace Spreads to Linux: A Deep Dive into this New Ransomware - 2023
https://cyble.com/blog/the-royal-menace-spreads-to-linux-a-deep-dive-into-this-new-ransomware/

Linux systems are being hit with more ransomware than ever
https://www.techradar.com/news/linux-systems-are-being-hit-with-more-ransomware-than-ever

CISA: Several Old Linux Vulnerabilities Exploited in Attacks - 2023
https://www.securityweek.com/cisa-several-old-linux-vulnerabilities-exploited-in-attacks/

Linux has been bitten by its most high-severity vulnerability in years - 2022
https://arstechnica.com/information...ts-most-high-severity-vulnerability-in-years/

A bug lurking for 12 years gives attackers root on most major Linux distros - 2022
https://arstechnica.com/information...s-attackers-root-on-every-major-linux-distro/

New Linux bug gives root on all major distros, exploit released - 2022
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...s-root-on-all-major-distros-exploit-released/

Last edited:
Not sure if a typo, but most Windows users are administrators, the default account created for a user in Windows is an Administrator. Also many distro's will default add the created user into the sudo'rs so a separate root account is not required, they do this to help adoption, sure, most people using linux, hopefully, have a seperate root and user accounts with different passwords, but I am willing to bet just as many use either the same password, or just add their user account into the sudo'rs file for full rights simple for convinience.

Certainly Windows is still the #1 target, but just some example of exploits and ransomware is now being written for Linux and it is only going to get worse because most IoT devices run some form of *nix an those are some of the most compromised devices out there these days (mainly due to crappy coding and security in the products)

New Linux Ransomware Strain BlackSuit Shows Striking Similarities to Royal - 2023
https://thehackernews.com/2023/06/new-linux-ransomware-strain-blacksuit.html

The Royal Menace Spreads to Linux: A Deep Dive into this New Ransomware - 2023
https://cyble.com/blog/the-royal-menace-spreads-to-linux-a-deep-dive-into-this-new-ransomware/

Linux systems are being hit with more ransomware than ever
https://www.techradar.com/news/linux-systems-are-being-hit-with-more-ransomware-than-ever

CISA: Several Old Linux Vulnerabilities Exploited in Attacks - 2023
https://www.securityweek.com/cisa-several-old-linux-vulnerabilities-exploited-in-attacks/

Linux has been bitten by its most high-severity vulnerability in years - 2022
https://arstechnica.com/information...ts-most-high-severity-vulnerability-in-years/

A bug lurking for 12 years gives attackers root on most major Linux distros - 2022
https://arstechnica.com/information...s-attackers-root-on-every-major-linux-distro/

New Linux bug gives root on all major distros, exploit released - 2022
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...s-root-on-all-major-distros-exploit-released/
Thanks for the correction in the first sentence - I meant 'Windows users tend to install as Administrator' - not what I said.
As for all your links - all in 2022-2023 - there's a bit of a trend - for ppl publishing the sky is falling in Linux w.r.t. viruses/vulnerabilities - yet, I have not read of any real life experience problems. The other thing, enterprise Linux editions like RHEL and OpenSUSE Enterprise Linux plus Debian (also used in a lot of servers) take security very seriously. Also, Linux is built on security - hence the more complicated admin procedures.

But, yes, at the moment or current time frame - there's more concern about security/malware/viruses in Linux now than any time prior. It's something to keep an eye on.

Nobara is the best for gaming? Never even heard of it.
Personally I find Garuda to be best for gaming. It's basically Nobara but based on Arch which is one reason why his vid is clickbait (Garuda has just as many, if not more, customizations than Nobara does but Nobara is ok while Garuda is worthless?)

Personally I find Garuda to be best for gaming. It's basically Nobara but based on Arch which is one reason why his vid is clickbait (Garuda has just as many, if not more, customizations than Nobara does but Nobara is ok while Garuda is worthless?)
I've never even heard of 90% of the distros listed...

Does it really matter anymore? It's almost all based off Arch and Ubuntu nowadays.
Pretty much. The only one I would love to try is Manjaro, as I've never tried an Arch distro. I just can't seem to find any need to do so. I mean, what is the benefit of one over the other?

Besides using its own version of programs that do exactly the same thing, are any distros really any different? I mean, I can pacman as well as I can apt.

Pretty much. The only one I would love to try is Manjaro, as I've never tried an Arch distro. I just can't seem to find any need to do so. I mean, what is the benefit of one over the other?

Besides using its own version of programs that do exactly the same thing, are any distros really any different? I mean, I can pacman as well as I can apt.

Mainly just how up to date the packages are, easy or auto-install of certain features/drivers, custom kernels and configs that may be tailored to certain use cases, custom UIs, etc. Probably the biggest difference is ease of getting support; Arch documentation is pretty insane and help posts for it are everywhere.

I rarely even consider the fact that I'm not running Windows, Linux PC just goes 'burrr' and that's all I care about. I certainly don't get the impression I'm missing out on anything by not running Windows, nor do I find change daunting. From my perspective, the Windows way of doing things seems somewhat backwards now.

All my game launchers work perfectly, the only games that don't run are essentially those that don't use Linux compatible DRM/Anticheat - Thankfully I'm noticing more developers using solutions that also support those running Linux. Screenshot link of my desktop running all the launchers I need, possible 4k large pic warning:

gLOxE95.jpg
gLOxE95.jpg
Game launchers Linuxmod.png

Last edited:
I rarely even consider the fact that I'm not running Windows, Linux PC just goes 'burrr' and that's all I care about. I certainly don't get the impression I'm missing out on anything by not running Windows, nor do I find change daunting. From my perspective, the Windows way of doing things seems somewhat backwards now.

All my game launchers work perfectly, the only games that don't run are essentially those that don't use Linux compatible DRM/Anticheat - Thankfully I'm noticing more developers using solutions that also support those running Linux. Screenshot link of my desktop running all the launchers I need, possible 4k large pic warning:

gLOxE95.jpg
gLOxE95.jpg
View attachment 589707
I really wish I wasn't dogshit. I couldn't get a single game working on Mint the last time I tried. Previously I had a few games working, like Quake 3 and serious Sam and maybe GtaV, but I tried it maybe a month ago and no bueno. Couldn't get a single one to install via wine or proton or lutris. Quite often their progress bars just never progressed and I would need to reboot to try another one.

I really wish I wasn't dogshit. I couldn't get a single game working on Mint the last time I tried. Previously I had a few games working, like Quake 3 and serious Sam and maybe GtaV, but I tried it maybe a month ago and no bueno. Couldn't get a single one to install via wine or proton or lutris. Quite often their progress bars just never progressed and I would need to reboot to try another one.
Linux mint is a rubbish distro, the only time I had my whole OS install hosed as a result of an OS update in my many years running Linux, I was running Linux Mint - I wiped, installed a different distro still based on LTS releases, and never looked back. My current KDE Neon install has been in four PC's now, I just transfer all the drives from PC > PC and everything runs perfectly.

Considering Linux Mint, the Cinnamon DE is stuck on X11 with seemingly no planned path whatsoever towards a Wayland transition, the Muffin WM still suffers issues I experienced about 8 years ago - And honestly, the interface is downright dated and ugly.

The best advice I can give you is to use anything but Linux Mint.

Back