Rage: Who's excited?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm wondering which PC gamers are excited about id's rage? As a new Id game I can't wait to try it and a lot of the mechanics ( infinite backpack space, modifying vehicles, RPG-ike elements, ect) really have me interested.

I do have some qualms about it though...

Since part of the game is going to be racing, it makes me think the whole "feel" is setup on a 360 controller. think Halo's vehicles, or mass effects vehicles. It will be difficult to race with just a keyboard and mouse. the autolocking guns on the vehicles can confirm this.

I'm glad bethesda owns them now because i'm sure they are working with them to get the RPG elements down.

Edit: added IGN's Preview

includes story, hands-on gameplay preview, and Quakecon 2009 trailer

official site: www.aftertheimpact.com

Last edited:
I am. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a borderlands debacle. That is where everyone I know played the game solidly for a week then dropped it.

I am very worried that ID has gone down the road of consoles and we are going to get some port that won't be worth our time. Carmack already said that they lowered the size of the levels because of the 360.

I saw the live demo at QuakeCon last year, and they were using a dev PC build and easily went between keyboard and mouse and the attached controller. They focused on the controller more only because it's new to them and they want to make sure they do it right. If QuakeCon turns out any thing like previous years I'm going to guess there will be a playable demo of Rage there this year.

I'm not sure how I feel about Rage. I don't like how it's being designed for the 360 controller on PC. I've also never been a big fan of racing games, so I'm not really sure how much I'll enjoy Rage. I will buy it, of course, but I'm wondering if this will be the first id game that leaves me feeling let down. Yes, I liked Doom 3.

Is there a release date for this yet? Rumored or confirmed?

Last edited:
I am very worried that ID has gone down the road of consoles and we are going to get some port that won't be worth our time. Carmack already said that they lowered the size of the levels because of the 360.

That really took some wind out of my sails.

Why can't these developers make the games on the PC and port out from there? EVERYONE would win and benefit if it were done that way IMO at least.

Is it even a "port"? Just because they limited because of a console doesn't mean it's a port. They may just want parity.

I'm not sure how I feel about Rage. I don't like how it's being designed for the 360 controller on PC. I've also never been a big fan of racing games, so I'm not really sure how much I'll enjoy Rage. I will buy it, of course, but I'm wondering if this will be the first id game that leaves me feeling let down. Yes, I liked Doom 3.

Is there a release date for this yet? Rumored or confirmed?

no dates, TBA 2010. but we are in the tail end of Q1, and approaching Q2, I'm Expecting a late Q3 release, maybe mid Q4 for the holidays...

added Preview to original Post

added official Site to OP www.aftertheimpact.com

Last edited:
Last timei heard it was actually showing spring 2011, acordding to the local gamestop store.

I'm hoping it'll be a great start for a new ID franchise. But I agree why not design the PC version and then "port" that... not neccesarily pot but make any changes from there to cater to each platforms weakness. It just makes more sense to me.

Normally I'd have a lot of interest in a new iD game,but the racing aspect leaves me cold,I'm mostly a FPS player. And I hated what they did to the Wolfenstein franchise.

Carmack has also already said that PC Gamers should play this with a controller because the game was designed around that input device.

Controller's my ass. The game should be just as enjoyable with or without a controller. I'm an id fan but this better not be a shitty port.

Why can't these developers make the games on the PC and port out from there? EVERYONE would win and benefit if it were done that way IMO at least.
Developing on id Tech 5 requires next to no porting. It's a true simultaneous development platform.

As for whether I'm excited -- I don't know. Too early to tell.

sigh

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169963

Update 11:00 PST: Willits released a statement to clarify his earlier statements. He did admit that instead of having five or six wasteland environments as originally planned, Rage will now only have two because of the Xbox 360's DVD limitations (one wasteland for each Xbox 360 disc). However, these two wastelands will now encompass all the content from the five or six that were originally planned. So no content has technically been "removed" from the game -- but the Xbox 360's storage limitations did cause id to rethink Rage's entire story structure.

Update 11:00 PST: Willits released a statement to clarify his earlier statements. He did admit that instead of having five or six wasteland environments as originally planned, Rage will now only have two because of the Xbox 360's DVD limitations (one wasteland for each Xbox 360 disc). However, these two wastelands will now encompass all the content from the five or six that were originally planned. So no content has technically been "removed" from the game -- but the Xbox 360's storage limitations did cause id to rethink Rage's entire story structure.

How does that make any sense? There's too much content in the 6 wastelands to fit on the dvds, so they rejig to 2 but not to worry since they encompas all the original content, then how was spaced saved in this move? :rolleyes:

It wasn't a question of too much content but too much disc swapping. Instead of backtracking from wasteland to wasteland, and swapping discs on the X360 version, you move from one large wasteland to another, presumably mid-game, and you're unable to backtrack. That's what the modification was all about, which is why is dictated that the story be overhauled.

I am ignoring most info about it so I dont get really excited. That way I can enjoy it more as I wont be expecting too much.

I look forward to it though. Hope it meets everyone's expectations.

How does that make any sense? There's too much content in the 6 wastelands to fit on the dvds, so they rejig to 2 but not to worry since they encompas all the original content, then how was spaced saved in this move? :rolleyes:

they only need 2 sets of wasteland textures instead of 6.. not so hard

i dont play online games so i really dont care.. but what is the big deal of allowing dedicated servers? How does it hurt the companies?

I'm just not sure what to be exited about.
It looks nice and all, but Id has hardly been at the forefront of gameplay the last few rounds. Maybe they'll surprise me, but right now the biggest thing I'm looking forward too is something replacing the slightly long in the tooth UT3 engine as the goto for all those teams who have some really great gameplay ideas.

yea, the UT3 engine has to go.. sad how people spend 1000s on a graphic setups to play 3 year old tech

Carmack and ID excel at keeping their games simplistic yet fun, thats what I look forward to them continuing to do. With that said, I'm still waiting on a Quake to be playable on my toaster.

i dont play online games so i really dont care.. but what is the big deal of allowing dedicated servers? How does it hurt the companies?
It doesn't hurt them. Companies consider LAN parties to be nothing but pirate parties so they are removing all LAN ability, including private servers. If the game can host a private server, online or off, then pirates can play multiplayer without getting caught.

This is my opinion, formed by watching their actions and reading their statements.

Frustrates me - but nothing can be done about it as long as people accept it.

It doesn't hurt them. Companies consider LAN parties to be nothing but pirate parties so they are removing all LAN ability, including private servers. If the game can host a private server, online or off, then pirates can play multiplayer without getting caught.

This is my opinion, formed by watching their actions and reading their statements.

Frustrates me - but nothing can be done about it as long as people accept it.

Hope PC sales of BFBC2 change his mind. The only reason that MW2 sold like it did was simply because it was modern warfare (we won't see those kinds of sales again from another MW, this installment killed all excitement for future installments).

What I get a kick out of is the fact that he builds the game for consoles, nerfs intended game levels and then nerfs dedicated servers and expects it to sell well on the iD name alone? we all know what is going to happen, mediocre sales and then rampant piracy blame despite the game being crap.... this industry is so predictable.

I'm interested to see how Rage pans out but with Fallout 3 and Borderlands already out, Rage might be too familiar to stand out from the another post-apocalyptic games by the time it's finally released.

I am ignoring most info about it so I dont get really excited. That way I can enjoy it more as I wont be expecting too much.

I look forward to it though. Hope it meets everyone's expectations.

This. I'm trying not to get too hyped up. Just surprise me when it gets here :D

Well, if you include 1024x textures instead of 2048x textures, no content has been "removed" right? If the quests are still there, but not voice acted, they're still there aren't they? Etc etc.

"No content was removed" != "Nothing was removed". Obviously they removed the landscape, but something tells me you don't need 4 DVD's just to store 4 RAGE maps. Obviously there was a hell of a lot of shit in there that's not there now.

it's id software and Carmack!!...of course I'm excited...but I'll be more excited when they announce a release date

Only problem I see with the game is that even though it looks good for what it is, the engine kinda already looks a tad dated...like a upgraded Doom 3 engine...low poly models, overzealous bump mapping...again, too Doom 3-ish and less "next generation"...at least compared to PC standards. They waited too long to release this one.

Lets hope the gameplay isnt as dated!

Well, if you include 1024x textures instead of 2048x textures, no content has been "removed" right? If the quests are still there, but not voice acted, they're still there aren't they? Etc etc.

"No content was removed" != "Nothing was removed". Obviously they removed the landscape, but something tells me you don't need 4 DVD's just to store 4 RAGE maps. Obviously there was a hell of a lot of shit in there that's not there now.

Exactly, either you lower the quality of the content or you remove it. God, PR gets on nerves :)

Carmack has also already said that PC Gamers should play this with a controller because the game was designed around that input device.
When did he say that? Carmack has always been consistent in saying that the keyboard/mouse is better for gameplay than a controller.

Back