Quote Of The Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can always count on Steve Jobs for funny quotes like this. Mr. Jobs, when talking about licensing issues, said "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." While I have never actually heard anyone say that about Blu-ray licensing before, I’ll take his word for it and give ol’ Steve the Quote of the Day.

"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace." Phil chimed in with "We have the best HD movie and TV options in iTunes."

Isn't Apple on the Bluray corporate backing bandwagon?

"We have the best HD movie and TV options in iTunes"

BULLSHIT!

720p compressed to hell with stereo, maybe low-grade 5.1. yeah bullshit.

He is waiting for Blu-ray licensing to be executed with a single mouse click from a single button mouse. ;)

BULLSHIT!

QFT. They don't want to do BRD because nobody will pay them per view.

But they have a point: Sony won the battle but lost the war. Even here in the US where we're behind on super phat pipe internet things are getting to the point where getting your movies on shiny discs is just silly outside of the collectible movie nerd scene.

Within a few years every major platform (Windows, mac, various consoles) will provide some way for you to get your uber def movie and TV fix via the net for a cost competitive with cable and satellite.

To misquote Scotty in Star Trek IV: "Physical media, how qiaint."

This was one of the big problems back when the war was going on. It was also Why Blu Ray was also going to cost more then HD-DVD to produce. It doesn't help that you are actually not allowed to pre-press discs without DRM which again is another License you have to add whether you want it or not.

Luckily from what I remember outside a few keystone licenses both had a lot of caps in lifetime license payouts. Like after the first 3 million a company produces they don't have to pay anymore VC-1 or AVC licenses.

BULLSHIT!

Dammit. I had that quote copied and ready to paste. You took the words right out of my mouth! :)

If Steve Jobs didn't invent it, it doesn't exist...

I do have one question with blueray and this. Have they ever finalized the spec? I know it was a big deal how the first gen players were going to have issues with future disks because they didn't support all of the features. This was back when the best bet was to buy a ps3 because it was the only upgradable player. They released the players to the market before the final spec came out and really no one seemed to know about it untill it came out that they were adding features. If they still haven't finalized the spec then I can understand apple not wanting anything to do with it.

Also blueray sales still haven't really taken off from what I've read. Maybe they are trying to just skip it thinking it will die off?

Yeah, death to Blu-Ray bring on digital downloads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi-def, who cares ???????????????????????????????????

As long as it looks pretty, who wants to see the wrinkles on Britney Spears in Hi-Def.

QFT. They don't want to do BRD because nobody will pay them per view.

But they have a point: Sony won the battle but lost the war. Even here in the US where we're behind on super phat pipe internet things are getting to the point where getting your movies on shiny discs is just silly outside of the collectible movie nerd scene.

Within a few years every major platform (Windows, mac, various consoles) will provide some way for you to get your uber def movie and TV fix via the net for a cost competitive with cable and satellite.

I have to disagree. I don't care how fast my internet is. I have no current plan on buying movies or music online. It has nothing to do with being part of some collectible movie nerd scene. It has everything to do with playablity. I am not at risk of my dvds or cds not workig one day due to a server being taken offline. Since the introdution of paid music services, how many people have lost music due to the service going out of business? How many people have had DRM restrict their playback of movies / music? I have already had DRM get in my way of what little digital media I have. Over the weekend I turned my machine into a dual boot between XP and Vista. Copied the digital copy of I am Legend that I got as part of my purchase of the movie from my xp partion to my vista partion and tried to play the movie. It wanted me to re-enter my activation number. I did so and was told I had exceeded the number of devices the movie could be played on (which I take it is must be one). So much for utilizing Media Center for playback of that movie to any device in the house. Looks like I'll just have to take the DVD out to watch it.

There is also the risk of hardware failure. If my harddrive dies I loss my music and movies. CDs / DVDs don't crash and destroy the data. Yes they can become scratched or something like that, but not of you take good care of them. I have about 200 - 300+ cds. They all are still playable. I have 100+ DVDs, all still playable. I even have about 80 movies on VHS which still are playable if I ever wanted to watch them. Which leads to my next problem. Storage space. My zune software says that a lossless rip could use between 200 and 400mb. So lets assume 400 per cd. Assuming I have closer to 300 cds than 200. 400MB x 300 CDS = 117.2GB, Now for the movies assuming 8GB for SD movies and assuming that all of my movies were in digital format that is about 1440GB for moves. That means that as of now if all my stuff was in digital, I would already need 1.5TB of stoarge space, and that isn't even getting into HD movies, which is what I would be buying at that point if everything was digital and I didn't need to purchase special hardware for playback. I normally buy about 1 or 2 cds a month and 1 or 2 movies a month. HD movies are what? 25GB each? 20GB each? Lets go with 20GB. So thats about 41GB per month that my collection would be growing at a min. I'm pretty sure that I'm on the low end compared to others. What did Steve have in that one picture? 2000+ dvds? He would be looking at about 15 - 16TB of storage space for SD movies. Start adding in HD movies which I'd bet he has a lot of also, and somebody like him would probably need about 100TB of space just to store their movies. With how much music and movies some people buy I really don't see pure digital being that practal for them.

I myself am going to stay with physical media as long as I can. It has nothing to do with wanting to own collector editions of movies or anything like that. It has to do with me being able to play my movies when I want, where want. And not having to worry about the service going under 3 years from now and the DRM in the movie keeping me from play it anymore.

I have to disagree. I don't care how fast my internet is. I have no current plan on buying movies or music online. It has nothing to do with being part of some collectible movie nerd scene. It has everything to do with playablity. I am not at risk of my dvds or cds not workig one day due to a server being taken offline. Since the introdution of paid music services, how many people have lost music due to the service going out of business? How many people have had DRM restrict their playback of movies / music? I have already had DRM get in my way of what little digital media I have. Over the weekend I turned my machine into a dual boot between XP and Vista. Copied the digital copy of I am Legend that I got as part of my purchase of the movie from my xp partion to my vista partion and tried to play the movie. It wanted me to re-enter my activation number. I did so and was told I had exceeded the number of devices the movie could be played on (which I take it is must be one). So much for utilizing Media Center for playback of that movie to any device in the house. Looks like I'll just have to take the DVD out to watch it.

There is also the risk of hardware failure. If my harddrive dies I loss my music and movies. CDs / DVDs don't crash and destroy the data. Yes they can become scratched or something like that, but not of you take good care of them. I have about 200 - 300+ cds. They all are still playable. I have 100+ DVDs, all still playable. I even have about 80 movies on VHS which still are playable if I ever wanted to watch them. Which leads to my next problem. Storage space. My zune software says that a lossless rip could use between 200 and 400mb. So lets assume 400 per cd. Assuming I have closer to 300 cds than 200. 400MB x 300 CDS = 117.2GB, Now for the movies assuming 8GB for SD movies and assuming that all of my movies were in digital format that is about 1440GB for moves. That means that as of now if all my stuff was in digital, I would already need 1.5TB of stoarge space, and that isn't even getting into HD movies, which is what I would be buying at that point if everything was digital and I didn't need to purchase special hardware for playback. I normally buy about 1 or 2 cds a month and 1 or 2 movies a month. HD movies are what? 25GB each? 20GB each? Lets go with 20GB. So thats about 41GB per month that my collection would be growing at a min. I'm pretty sure that I'm on the low end compared to others. What did Steve have in that one picture? 2000+ dvds? He would be looking at about 15 - 16TB of storage space for SD movies. Start adding in HD movies which I'd bet he has a lot of also, and somebody like him would probably need about 100TB of space just to store their movies. With how much music and movies some people buy I really don't see pure digital being that practal for them.

I myself am going to stay with physical media as long as I can. It has nothing to do with wanting to own collector editions of movies or anything like that. It has to do with me being able to play my movies when I want, where want. And not having to worry about the service going under 3 years from now and the DRM in the movie keeping me from play it anymore.

Great post! I can understand where you are coming from. I used to have a huge (I mean around 400 CDs in the 1990s and early 2000s and about 150 DVDs until a few years ago) collection of music and movies on physical media. I ripped all of my music into MP3 format that has no DRM BS and converted all of my DVDs into AVI format. I started my MP3 collection in 1999 when Napster was king and it has grown over the years. I have my MP3 collection on my secondary hard drive and backed up to an ext HD that is only on to back stuff up to it. I keep all of the movies on an ext HD as well and only use it when I need to.

I have yet to experience and data loss or hardware failures. Here is why, I usually upgrade my hard drives every two years (for a newer drive and more space of course) and everything is not running hot all the time. It is funny that you mentioned hardware failure because I had the exact opposite. The reason why my movies are now all digital is because an old room mate (a long time ago) moved out and he took all of my movies. :rolleyes::mad:

My screen is only a 32" LCD that I use to view my media on, so SD or HD differences are barely noticeable to me. I am not really picky whether or not a movie is HD, only the football game.

Also find it funny that Apples $2800 Desktop comes with a weak ass ATi 2600 XT

Yes it has 8 Cores, But it can only handle a 8800GT graphics card for $150 extra!
2 GB of Memory w/ 8 Cores are you kidding me!

Could possibly build this myself for $1400, I'm sorry I just hate Macintosh... -_-

If Steve Jobs didn't invent it, it doesn't exist...

EPIC , so true

Digital DL only is a LONG ways off, I mean, look at how many people have a carrier that will really provide for HD DLs. Comeon, You want me to DL that 100GB BluRay movie?? Even on my connection that would take a while, and not that many across the whole country are that fast. Plus, DRM and Hardware failure are to big a risk. DRM is gay as hell, I too have had problems with digital copy movies, things IVE PAID FOR and cant even use them, so I have whatever is below a paperweight because I dont even get the paperweight!! Plus, If I want to take my movie with me, I dont need to buy anything other than the movie. With digital, I need to buy a external HDD and wherever Im taking it better have a media center PC. With physical media buy the movie, thats it. Play it anywhere in the country with no extra hardware (everyone has a DVD player now, but how many placs can you go and just plug in your external HDD?) And you better hope that if your out and about you have a connection to the net or else some of your DRM shit may not work, because DRM is gonna get real nazi because pirating will be even easier, just get ready for it...

Plus, with more companies moving toward bandwidth caps.... Ill leave that up to you. No one has ever put a movie-buying cap on me, so I can get all the movies a month I can afford without being charged for going over my limit.

Plus, just like in game advert's , we will probly never see the savings passed on to us. Companies make a killing for in game ads (Come on, a picture and a couple minutes to upload it, you just made tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on scale) yet have we seen this passed on to us? NO. You used to see big boxes with all kinds of manuals and books and stuff with games, now almost nothing. Save us money? NO. Hell, except for valve, most DLC that is available on disc costs the same as DL'ing it.

But this isnt about games, its about DL'ing movies and I think the same trend will continue here. They will save money on products yet charge us more. Just like all these banks that were going under but CEOs were making huge payouts. Avg Joe will not see any of this passed on

As long as digital distribution and Blueray use DRM, I am quite happy with DVD. I only wanted Blueray for the 25/50/100 GB discs for data storage anyway, and HD is best appreciated in a theater anyway. I don't have the space, the money, or the patience to put up with HDCP, the setup a home theater.

I have to disagree....(well reasoned post clipped for brevity).

I totally see where you're comming from. But we're not the typical users. itms and xbox marketplace show that a well presented online store can work well and people will flock to it.

I think there will always be a place for physical media, but eventually all content will be in the cloud and easily accessible in a ubiquitous manner. Some will continue to buy physical discs for some reason or other, but most people will be fine with a well constructed online solution. The day will come when it's all there, it's all HD and services compete for not only quality but also completeness of their library.

As long as digital distribution and Blueray use DRM, I am quite happy with DVD. I only wanted Blueray for the 25/50/100 GB discs for data storage anyway, and HD is best appreciated in a theater anyway. I don't have the space, the money, or the patience to put up with HDCP, the setup a home theater.

I don't have the time, patience or money to put up with chatty theater wankers, $5 popcorn and crappy projection and sound systems. I don't like to see anti-piracy water marks pop up in the middle of my movies, either.

If I could get first run films on disc or download day and date with a theatrical release I would. I have a better picture and I definitely have better sound than any of our local multiplex theaters ( one has had a blown sub for like five years now). We are getting a state of the are Village Roadshow Gold Class Cinema but at something like $27 a ticket: no effing way.

Quote is a verb while Quotation is a noun. The title should actually read Quotation of the Day.

Also find it funny that Apples $2800 Desktop comes with a weak ass ATi 2600 XT

Yes it has 8 Cores, But it can only handle a 8800GT graphics card for $150 extra!
2 GB of Memory w/ 8 Cores are you kidding me!

Could possibly build this myself for $1400, I'm sorry I just hate Macintosh... -_-

Someone in the Apple section compared a DIY build with parts from Newegg vs a Mac Pro, both as closely configured as possible. There was literally a $5 difference, except that you had to put together the machine yourself and you have no manufacturer support. Compare it to a Dell Precision and the difference is ridiculous, we're talking a $500-$1000 depending on the configuration with the Dell being the more expensive option.

Dual eight core Xeons are not cheap.

Now that said, yes, it is a radical misallocation of funds if your focus is on the GPU and gaming. Most games aren't held back by the CPU, and the difference in game performance between a Core 2 Duo (which you or I would use for building a gaming PC) and two eight-core Xeons in games is definately not worth the added cost. If you need a serious workstation for graphics or visual effects work then no question, the Xeons would give you a pretty big boost over the Core 2 Duos.

But yeah, to say that you can put together a dual Xeon machine for only $1400 means that you stole some parts off of a truck. ;)

And as far as Blu Ray goes, screw HD digital distribution. They all look like compressed blocky ass. Give me a pristine Blu Ray disc any day.

Or to quote Hackers: "Ew, hardcopy."

I like the portability and lack of DRM on my DVDs, but in most cases, I'll only watch the movie once. Digital download (preferably for rent) is better for me, because I can queue up the movie, watch it, then delete it.

D/L content will grow as long as a) Nationwide adoption of faster internet and b) ISP's don't start a trend of switching to cap's or per byte charges.

Immediacy and quality will be the driving factors. Right now d/l content isn't up to snuff there yet for my 65" display, so HD/BR, and AnyDVD are my preferred choices. I'm sure eventually it will, but it's a ways off unless some major breakthrough occurs.

When I saw Jobs say that yesterday I nearly fell out of my chair. And I totally agree with those who posted before about HD in iTunes being BS.

Let me go ahead and save this article in my all new iCare. Because I do. No seriously, I do. I care about this issue, and how it impacts others. Really... Don't give me that look. I'm NOT lying!

If you don't stop asking me that question I'll turn this internet around right now!

Really though, I care.

[UPS] Sorce;1033170067 said:
Or to quote Hackers: "Ew, hardcopy."

I like the portability and lack of DRM on my DVDs, but in most cases, I'll only watch the movie once. Digital download (preferably for rent) is better for me, because I can queue up the movie, watch it, then delete it.

I guess this makes sense if you don't care about image quality (things like comedy rentals, etc), but lord help us if digital distribution completely replaces hard copies. The constraints of bandwidth and codecs ensures that DD won't come anywhere close to the image quality of Blu Ray or HD-DVD (RIP). All downloaded HD that I've seen looks like an upconverted DVD, at best. Makes sense since they are roughly the same size. Yeah you're using a better codec than the MPEG2 codec on DVD with things like h.264 or VB-1, but you're still operating with much more compression in order to get the size small enough to stream or download.

When download services match or surpass hard copies, great, I'm all on board. Until then, I'm totally happy with discs.

Great post! I can understand where you are coming from. I used to have a huge (I mean around 400 CDs in the 1990s and early 2000s and about 150 DVDs until a few years ago) collection of music and movies on physical media. I ripped all of my music into MP3 format that has no DRM BS and converted all of my DVDs into AVI format. I started my MP3 collection in 1999 when Napster was king and it has grown over the years. I have my MP3 collection on my secondary hard drive and backed up to an ext HD that is only on to back stuff up to it. I keep all of the movies on an ext HD as well and only use it when I need to.

I have yet to experience and data loss or hardware failures. Here is why, I usually upgrade my hard drives every two years (for a newer drive and more space of course) and everything is not running hot all the time. It is funny that you mentioned hardware failure because I had the exact opposite. The reason why my movies are now all digital is because an old room mate (a long time ago) moved out and he took all of my movies. :rolleyes::mad:

My screen is only a 32" LCD that I use to view my media on, so SD or HD differences are barely noticeable to me. I am not really picky whether or not a movie is HD, only the football game.

sucks about the movies. In your case you are making backs of your media, not starting with digital only. Although to bring you into the same group as what ianken mentioned in his post which I quoted below, the backing up of your harddrives and often replacement is not something that the typical user would do. Most people I know keep a computer till it is dead and in most cases never backup any data from it. So while such a lose might be less likely to us (although while I am typing this my second machine is running though a check disk with what appears to be 1/2 of the second disk no longer being reable) it would be far more likely for the average user.

I totally see where you're comming from. But we're not the typical users. itms and xbox marketplace show that a well presented online store can work well and people will flock to it.

I think there will always be a place for physical media, but eventually all content will be in the cloud and easily accessible in a ubiquitous manner. Some will continue to buy physical discs for some reason or other, but most people will be fine with a well constructed online solution. The day will come when it's all there, it's all HD and services compete for not only quality but also completeness of their library.

Xbox live only allows you to rent a movie. And in that case digital is fine. I watch shows online via various streaming sites and utilize netflix's watch instantly service. In that regards. As for your "normal" users, I would be more included to state that more would be confused and turned off by pure digital than would want to imbrace it. Today at work we had a company showing us their iptv solution and we got to talking about how cluely the average person is about current technology. According to a study one of the guys read 25% of people with HDTVs are only using them for SDTV and have no idea that they aren't getting HD content. Because they have no reason / desire to know any better. It is just like computers. There are going to be those like us that know a good about about them, and then there are those who barely know how to turn the system on and use to check their email. They are going to be the ones that would never be able to figure out how to use pure digital media. I know people now that want to connect their computers to their tvs to watch stuff off of sites like hulu on their tvs.

In the case of Itunes. It has already had one glitch that caused people to lose stuff they had purchased. And other stores such as Microsoft's first music store and a few others that went under show what happens in the case.

Back