Questions about Counter-Strike: Source Scene - Will Be Playing In Tourney

debrain said:
Cevo cost money. :mad:

Any other "amatuer" leagues out there that are free and just for good experiance. Thinking of quake 4.

So join the TWL. TWL Good stuff, and cevo config'd. Same as CAL config, except they allow cl_interpolate 0.

halc998 said:
So join the TWL. TWL Good stuff, and cevo config'd. Same as CAL config, except they allow cl_interpolate 0.

Except CEVO has the CMN client. And CAL uses the ESEA client for the higher leagues.

This spring break I went to 2 lans and pulled an allnigher playing nothing but CS Source. I'm starting to like it more and more but one thing that it lacks is lighting like in CS 1.6. Basically any map you play you can walk and see every dark spot on the map. In CS 1.6 I have full bright on with steam and the darkest "camping" spots are still barely visible. On Source I could see that a guy was there from a mile away. Not that I favor camping or anything but that one light bulb in the tunnel cant iluminate the hall like theres no top to it and the sun is comming right in!

We placed 5th out of 14 teams with at least two professional teams taking top honors. :eek: We did much better than expected actually - especially when you consider the fact we're deaf. :D What caused our downfall was sudden loss of communication and misunderstanding after a couple of rounds which led to our mistakes as a team. We got out lucky but we still haven't improved on it and got crushed by the next top four teams. Not to mention that there was only one experienced player in CAL and the rest of us were rather rookies with playtime spent between one week to six months.

-J.

GeForceX said:
We placed 5th out of 14 teams with at least two professional teams taking top honors. :eek: We did much better than expected actually - especially when you consider the fact we're deaf. :D What caused our downfall was sudden loss of communication and misunderstanding after a couple of rounds which led to our mistakes as a team. We got out lucky but we still haven't improved on it and got crushed by the next top four teams. Not to mention that there was only one experienced player in CAL and the rest of us were rather rookies with playtime spent between one week to six months.

-J.

I read this thread too late! Damnit, I would've killed to play a good CS:S LAN. What/Where was this LAN and who placed top 4, I might just know them.

Obi_Kwiet said:
Actually that reminds of of when I was a little n00b just beginning to learn the vast world of computers. My new game Jedi Knight 1 would blue screen every time I started to play it. After a call to tech support I got the generic "update your video and sound drivers". Well, like a good little n00b I headed off to Dell's web site downloaded a random sound driver, uninstalled the old driver and installed the new one. It of course killed the sound. But since the sound card on my PC wasn't working at all the game worked, as the sound card happened to be the source of the problem. Tired from my ordeal I played anyways. Every week or so for the next six months I randomly downloaded a few sound drivers and installed them. :p Of course none of them work so I played through the whole game and got online some. Oddly enough my lack of a working sound card prevented other player from hearing me! I often got accused of hacking, and I guess it was an unintentional exploit. Anyway I finally called tech support again and they straightened me out.

Oh man that brings back memories. Did you ever try out the real hacks for that game? After months of putting up with hackers as a host on the Zone my curiosity got the better of me and I tried some out. You could do some amazing crap with that - concussion rifles that shot millenium falcons, and pressing some key flooded a block around you in every direction. So you could be running along on dry land and suddenly find yourself swimming, since the water was transparent unless it was where it was supposed to be. Even when I did try this stuff out though, I always did it on my own server, and my server had a message warning that hacks were allowed.

Even when I went back to not hacking, I always kept some random pistol I never used hacked just in case hackers came by. If I sniffed out a hacker on my server, their name was instantly changed to something witty like "I need a nap!" and they faced a stream of destruction bolts coming from an innocuous looking pistol. Most ot the time, I didn't have to kick them.

GeForceX said:

-J.

Grats, and I hope you return to the source community for more online playing/scrims. Glad you all did quite well.

Thanks. There's actually a good chance that "team dt" would continue to be established. We also intend on playing scrims against teams for fun too. Until the next real Source tournament, we'll practice and take it easy. 'Cuz one guy took the game too seriously and got pissed off whenever he died (we weren't watching his back :p).

And dude, I'd love to be in some CAL/ESEA league but I don't know where to start (signing up)? :eek:

-J.

Back