Questions about Counter-Strike: Source Scene - Will Be Playing In Tourney

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
I will be playing in a Counter-Strike: Source tournament based on CAL configurated servers/rules at RITFest (www.ritfest.net). While I am not new to the CS/Source scene, I am simply uninformed of what official maps are most popular in the Source scene. So what is mostly played? I want to prepare my team for this. What configs is best on LAN? Like is there any professional configs out there available for LAN gaming? Any other extra information or links would be real good! Thanks! :)

-J.

usually the standard maps that come with cs are the ones used in tourneys Dust/dust2 etc.

Can you name the top 5 maps that are played? We want to get some practice in. :)

-J.

Most competition maps have de in front of the map name.Ex: de_dust2

The other maps with anything else arent played in leagues just on pubs.

randy5554 said:
Is there a reason why the hostage maps aren't played much in tourneys?

They're extremely unbalanced. They're fine for pubs, but horrendous for competitive gameplay.

randy5554 said:
Because they get stuck and they are just stupid :D

I shoot them when I see them :D

I don't want to sound like a dick here, but I'm actually curious...how do deaf people play FPS games?

finalgt said:
I don't want to sound like a dick here, but I'm actually curious...how do deaf people play FPS games?

Good reactions and aim.

What made you think of that question?

debrain said:
dust2
nuke
inferno
train
de_cpl_mill

de_contra

Find a comfortable sensitivity and stick with it. Do not change it at all.

Consistency is the most important thing in making a good CS player.

If you want to work on your aim, play CS:S Deathmatch. You can become familiar with the weapon's recoil, accuracy and the proper way to use each one. It will help you a lot.

Another thing to do is make your own server with 10 bots or so and allow them to only have knives. Just practice bursting, spraying and aiming on them. You'll eventually get the feel.

Another tip I would recommend using to practice aim is play InstaGib UT:2004 or Rocket Arena for Q4. It will help your reaction time and accuracy.

These are some of the things that I do and have been working pretty well for me.

Good Luck and most importantly, have fun!

ur new to css? :O you are going to get owned lol

Pratice in deathmatch servers and learn how to awp.

I'm an office whore, but i was playing twl for a while, be prepared to play dust/nuke/dust2/aztec.. bomb maps.. start playing those a bit for some practice. and get ready for some awpwhoring, if you're doing a tourney. practice up with your nades as they're pretty important.. and also get used to playing with a team.. getting 5 nades thrown at you simultaneously, is bad, whereas, throwing 5 nades with your team, is just funny.. :/

good luck.

How long have you been playing with your team? You MUST have good team work in order to survive in this game. Make sure everyone knows their positions for any particular map on CT and the same people go there every time. Don't try to switch it up in the middle of a match. Get your rotations down quick, and give EXACT details when you communicate. Do not say, "ALL SHORT A" on Dust 2 when you only saw 3 guys.

And for God's sake, don't try to be fancy with terrorist team.

finalgt said:

For one, we compensate our loss of hearing with our naturally built instincts. I get called "sureee, bullshit, you do have sound" when I actually don't. I just turn 180 based on timing and feeling and all instincts.

With all this, we become very reactive to the slightest things. I've caught myself shooting a bullet out of nowhere because I saw some anti-aliasing become disformed. :p

And not to cheat but... some of us have top quality headphones in which we crank it up to the max so we could hear vibrations easily from actual footsteps. I don't really do that myself but some deaf CAL-i players I know do it through this method.

-J.

xSnowmaNx said:
How long have you been playing with your team? You MUST have good team work in order to survive in this game. Make sure everyone knows their positions for any particular map on CT and the same people go there every time. Don't try to switch it up in the middle of a match. Get your rotations down quick, and give EXACT details when you communicate. Do not say, "ALL SHORT A" on Dust 2 when you only saw 3 guys.

And for God's sake, don't try to be fancy with terrorist team.

I have been familiar with CS since 1.5 actually. I just don't play it enough. I'm rather a Quake 3 / 4 gamer myself. Until then, this week, we have already quickly assembled a 6 man team. Two people from CAL, the rest basically "pub players" or Quakers like me. We have already begun training for 6 hours nightly to get prepared on things. One of the players are fortunately hearing in which he is able to tell us the most common spots of enemies so we can look out for. We are practicing strategies for maps like dust2, inferno, cbble, and train.

My biggest question is... we want to communicate via radio but how do we bind a quick button? In Quake 3, you are able to create your own binded chat such as: "/bind x say_team ^1Base Is Not Safe!" How do you do this for CS:S?

-J.

Do some of the better quality headphones like Sennhieser pc150 help with hearing the footsteps better than shitty 20$ headphones?

Was hoping to get a sound card and those speakers to help with the noise in games.

debrain said:
Do some of the better quality headphones like Sennhieser pc150 help with hearing the footsteps better than shitty 20$ headphones?

Was hoping to get a sound card and those speakers to help with the noise in games.

Yes, a good soundcard and a decent set of cans will help you a lot in CS. The ability to hear people through walls, positioning them based on sound will allow you to become a better player.

Alright thanks.

Right now whenever i turn the headphones loud enough to heard the footsteps i get a buzzing sound. It even happens when im not playing and i move the mouse.

randy5554 said:

Because CAL completely ruined competitive play in CS.

Enjoy the hackers.

The point he was trying to reach, was that now, CAL is full of script kiddies.. Join a real league, like cevo, if you plan to continue playing. But seeing as you're joining a local tournament, it shouldn't be too bad. The Cal config you've mentioned just sets a few variables, and locks them, to make sure you're not cheating. Cevo has it's own client, and I think season two is now underway, or fixing to be. Good luck with your practices.. Nades and Communication.

finalgt said:

Actually that reminds of of when I was a little n00b just beginning to learn the vast world of computers. My new game Jedi Knight 1 would blue screen every time I started to play it. After a call to tech support I got the generic "update your video and sound drivers". Well, like a good little n00b I headed off to Dell's web site downloaded a random sound driver, uninstalled the old driver and installed the new one. It of course killed the sound. But since the sound card on my PC wasn't working at all the game worked, as the sound card happened to be the source of the problem. Tired from my ordeal I played anyways. Every week or so for the next six months I randomly downloaded a few sound drivers and installed them. :p Of course none of them work so I played through the whole game and got online some. Oddly enough my lack of a working sound card prevented other player from hearing me! I often got accused of hacking, and I guess it was an unintentional exploit. Anyway I finally called tech support again and they straightened me out.

Devnull said:
Because CAL completely ruined competitive play in CS.

Enjoy the hackers.

Ironically, CAL pretty much started it... before CAL there was next to nothing except for RiTLD and OGL...

Hacking is a big problem, but thats the risk of playing online. That's why online is considered "LAN practice".

halc998 said:
The point he was trying to reach, was that now, CAL is full of script kiddies.. Join a real league, like cevo, if you plan to continue playing. But seeing as you're joining a local tournament, it shouldn't be too bad. The Cal config you've mentioned just sets a few variables, and locks them, to make sure you're not cheating. Cevo has it's own client, and I think season two is now underway, or fixing to be. Good luck with your practices.. Nades and Communication.

Cevo cost money. :mad:

Any other "amatuer" leagues out there that are free and just for good experiance. Thinking of quake 4.

debrain said:
Alright thanks.

Right now whenever i turn the headphones loud enough to heard the footsteps i get a buzzing sound. It even happens when im not playing and i move the mouse.

Go to the Volume CP and disable the ones you don't use. Particularly LineIn and Aux, most external buzz is from LineIn, Internal ones (Mouse, etc.) is usually from Aux. To be on the safe side, only enable Volume and WAV. Mute everything else. :)

Sly said:
Go to the Volume CP and disable the ones you don't use. Particularly LineIn and Aux, most external buzz is from LineIn, Internal ones (Mouse, etc.) is usually from Aux. To be on the safe side, only enable Volume and WAV. Mute everything else. :)

Wow, Thanks. That fixed the problem.

i think hostages arent used in tournies simply because you have a time limit to rescue them and they are a pain in the ass sometimes omg!. also some people play dirty and rescue two of them and kill the other two remaining hostages.

sometimes i wish you could shove people in FPS games.

Back