Pressure grows on Apple to open up iMessage

Not sure why this matters. Again, the point here is google is using your personal messages to inform advertisers. Apple isn’t. I don’t want an “open standard” that is only being promoted by companies that are doing so for financial gain. But don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll win eventually and work with the carriers to sell your information to advertisers.

It’s so easy to see through the BS being pushed by Google and Samsung here. They’re upset that Apple has their own service that they can’t monetize. That’s it. Full stop.

Last edited:
The article literally said that. You're just trolling.
You're literally trolling while telling me I'm trolling. There is no timeline for SMS being phased out. There are articles going back to 2016 saying it's being phased out. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. When and if it's phased out, Apple will adopt whatever default standard there is.

You're literally trolling while telling me I'm trolling. There is no timeline for SMS being phased out. There are articles going back to 2016 saying it's being phased out. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. When and if it's phased out, Apple will adopt whatever default standard there is.
Uh huh.
moving-goal-posts-field.gif

Advocating for the open standard. I'm consistent on this whether its wireless communication or video card drivers.

That's what you think. Me clipping an article isn't "emotional". You thinking it's made up however, is emotional since the facts don't bare that out.

Can you do me a favor then, and help me realize and understand, for the sake of your advocacy - explain in technical detail as much as you can/to the best of your knowledge/to the best of your ability, how we won't be able to text grandma via SMS or SMS' eventual replacement from our iPhones?

🎵His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti🎵

Apple retains the keys. if you backup your messages to iCloud, Apple can read them period. Most Apple users do since it's an opt out affair.
Apple is going to do Apple, and you are convinced they are spying on you.

Give me RCS 5, or RCS Joyn, but not Google’s RCS 6,7,8 or Universal.

I don’t want to be walking down the street and say I’m hungry for my phone to text blast me with 10 adds for 7 restaurants within walking distance in my area like they did in India, and China, and Korea.

"If they turn on...." Did I not say it was opt in? Anyway it's my bedtime. Hope you all get paid. Night Night.
You made a flat statement that brooked no contradiction, as indicated by your use of 'period' in said statement. You are factually incorrect as there are two configurations, out of three possible, where Apple cannot read iMessage content.

It matters not if they are opt-in or -out, facts contradict your 'Apple can read them period' statement.

Advocating for the open standard. I'm consistent on this whether its wireless communication or video card drivers.
The problem is RCS as a standard has been fucked 8 ways from Sunday and now has a bunch of bastard babies running around and half of them hate each other.

RCS at its base is fine, but Samsung and Google are not advocating for the base, and T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc, … they aren’t implementing the base they are adding the ones caked with add placements, user tracking, AI interactive commercials, brand custom emoji’s. They are adding all the extra things that let their advertising and marketing arms sink their unsolicited teeth into you.
Give us a naked ass implementation of RCS with none of the extra BS and there wouldn’t be nearly as many complaints.

I personally hope apple keeps imessage to themselves and i want nothing to do with rcs spam on my device.

Google has to much control over peoples data as is, last thing i want is for them to have more access to my devices.

Not interested in being spammed through my text messages.

The problem is RCS as a standard has been fucked 8 ways from Sunday and now has a bunch of bastard babies running around and half of them hate each other.

RCS at its base is fine, but Samsung and Google are not advocating for the base, and T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc, … they aren’t implementing the base they are adding the ones caked with add placements, user tracking, AI interactive commercials, brand custom emoji’s. They are adding all the extra things that let their advertising and marketing arms sink their teeth into you.
Give us a naked ass implementation of RCS with none of the extra BS and there wouldn’t be nearly as many complaints.

This guy's an open-source advocate he said, he'd never advocate for something like that or propagate stuff for companies that would do things like that, I bet you can't even quote him on anything like that even, c'mon man you're just emotionally trolling and making stuff up, knock it off man stop whatever you're doing right now I'm dead serious I don't care if you were sleeping and download firefox man

i-like-you-youre-crazy.gif

RCS at its base is fine, but Samsung and Google are not advocating for the base, and T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc, … they aren’t implementing the base they are adding the ones caked with add placements, user tracking, AI interactive commercials, brand custom emoji’s. They are adding all the extra things that let their advertising and marketing arms sink their unsolicited teeth into you.
Quit making sense, sir.

I don't like Apple one bit.

In fact, I think its an unethical, destructive, leech on society.

But just because I don't like something doesn't mean I think we should bend or break the rules just because it hurts that something.

The rules are simple: Apple made iMessage, Apple has no obligation to share it.

Would it be nice if they did? sure!

Would it be ethical if they did? Yes!

Would it benefit the world if they did? Absolutely!!

Does a governing body forcing them to do it set REALLY bad precedent for governmental control of private institutions? unfortunately, yes.

This guy's an open-source advocate he said, he'd never advocate for something like that or propagate stuff for companies that would do things like that, I bet you can't even quote him on anything like that even, c'mon man you're just emotionally trolling and making stuff up, knock it off man stop whatever you're doing right now I'm dead serious I don't care if you were sleeping and download firefox man

View attachment 605315
Crazy people are the best people, the normies frighten me.

Quit making sense, sir.
.ecalp otni yltaen sllaf esrevinu eht sretcarahc miS sdog redle emos tsuj lla era ew ezilaer uoy ecno esuaceB
.tnemnethgilne eurt eveihca lla yam uoy taht os sthguoht lanoitar dna lamron yletelpmoc ym gnidaerps eunitnoc lliw I
.em ekam t’nac uoy dna annaw t’nod I ,oN

.ecalp otni yltaen sllaf esrevinu eht sretcarahc miS sdog redle emos tsuj lla era ew ezilaer uoy ecno esuaceB
.tnemnethgilne eurt eveihca lla yam uoy taht os sthguoht lanoitar dna lamron yletelpmoc ym gnidaerps eunitnoc lliw I
.em ekam t’nac uoy dna annaw t’nod I ,oN
.em ot enif sdnuos lla tahT

So I did some digging on Verizon, since that’s my carrier and discovered to following:

- RCS will fall back to SMS/MMS when taking to a non-RCS phone
- RCS is available on ‘select’ Samsung phones (but they also generically mention RCS capable phones?)
- A group message in RCS will apparently only work if -all- recipients are RCS enabled
- Sending to a number not on Verizon’s network will trigger an automatic SMS/MMS fallback

https://www.verizon.com/support/advanced-messaging-faqs/

So it seems RCS has a significant way to go before SMS is deprecated.

And ATT only apparently completed transitioning from their own RCS implementation over to Google back in June of this year? I was trying to dig up their feature and restriction list and found lots of user complaints.

So I did some digging on Verizon, since that’s my carrier and discovered to following:

- RCS will fall back to SMS/MMS when taking to a non-RCS phone
- RCS is available on ‘select’ Samsung phones (but they also generically mention RCS capable phones?)
- A group message in RCS will apparently only work if -all- recipients are RCS enabled
- Sending to a number not on Verizon’s network will trigger an automatic SMS/MMS fallback

https://www.verizon.com/support/advanced-messaging-faqs/

So it seems RCS has a significant way to go before SMS is deprecated.

And ATT only apparently completed transitioning from their own RCS implementation over to Google back in June of this year? I was trying to dig up their feature and restriction list and found lots of user complaints.
AT&T and Verizon were both early adopters of the RCS Universal Profile and generally followed the same rules around usage requirements.
AT&T’s network is just trash though they are working on improvements but yeah it’s a mess.

Thanks for taking the time for posting the link.

There is a lot of acrimony in here. Which is pretty standard unfortunately for this forum and I myself have trolled from time to time, and I’m going to do my best to not do that here.
I have to tell you (I suppose in a nicer way) that you’re more or less presenting a ’nothing burger’.
There is no RCS standard across everything and it’s being used as a bargaining chip across carriers and Google themselves, which has been mentioned.

I’ll also point out that this issue reaches beyond the US. One of my dreams is having a true world phone. I’ve been waiting for the day where I can pay a single service provider, use a single phone, a single SIM (or eSIM), be in any country and simply have it work (and this is more a carrier thing, but have there be no cost penalties for doing so). Competing standards even in radio bands have slowed this process as any additional complexity makes it much harder to have a single modem that can do all bands.

The point? Unless there is an RCS standard that doesn’t just cover a particular brand, but the entire world (which means every cell phone provider), all it does is add additional complexity. Let’s take even Samsung or Google. What if every country has a provider that wants to circumvent their options and have their own? Verizon serves one country, you have any idea how many there are? Or how many cell phone providers there are globally? In order to support this Google/Samsung then will either have to have significantly more complex software to adapt to every country and their RCS standard or simply not be able to receive those standards. Which, if you’re paying attention is actually way more limited than SMS or iMessage. iMessage (and SMS) works in every country, and every cell phone provider. And if just talking about SMS, every single phone. And iMessage does the same, and kicks back to SMS if it‘s going to a non-iOS/macOS/iPadOS device.

Ironically this will do two things: make it far less likely for a company like Google to be able to grab control, because there are so many governing bodies that will want to put their finger in. And also ironically that will prevent them from being able to likely spam us with their terrible advertising platform, and/or steal our messaging data, which you both don‘t want to acknowledge and/or falsely equivocate with Apple’s levels of encryption. Because, the EU, which ironically you cited at the beginning of all of this, won’t have it. Privacy laws in France (and consequently the EU) are super strict. They take that seriously unlike here in the US.

So I can say pretty equivocally that RCS isn’t going to change anything anytime soon. And I again reiterate that the EU will likely do nothing about iMessage because it doesn’t prevent communication. Others have said the same. But hopefully you get my points and can take the spirit of them in the face of some that are either outright trolling or at least perhaps being mean spirited about it. If you want to keep discussing, go ahead, up to you. But I don’t see anything that you’ve posted that supports your claim at the core. Or anything that will bring about the changes you think are coming and I have read all of your links/articles.

For reference your 2019 article says this about RCS as a direct quote, and I think summarizes everything pretty well:
  1. Not enough carriers have adopted it
  2. Those that have adopted it sometimes did so without adhering to the international standard for interoperability called the “Universal Profile”
  3. It is not end-to-end encrypted, so it’s easy for governments to demand the contents of text messages sent using it
  4. Apple has had precisely zero to say about it, which everybody has interpreted as code for “lol we have iMessage good luck with that RCS thing bye!”

Right - So why does Samsung care about apple opening up iMessage?
Apple is leveraging iMessage to distance themselves from competitors and to lock their consumers into their ecosystem. This obviously doesn't work in favor of Samsung, but it's also extremely anti-consumer as well. This is the equivalent of Microsoft forcing all Windows users to use IE, except the only difference here is that you can't side load a competitor to Apple's iMessage since again Apple controls the ecosystem. This is also why Apple is still trying to push for their Metal API because again they're trying to leverage their market share to try and distance themselves from competitors.
Apple has a product. Apple choses what features to put in that product.
But do you have a choice what Apple puts in your product?
The consumer is not forced to buy Apple products.
Most consumers aren't aware of a problem with their products, until they try to communicate with Android users. You know how many times I'm sending a text to an iPhone user and the media is blurred to hell? Owners of iPhones would assume it's the cheap crappy Android users, and not their own device.
The consumer can choose not to buy Apple products if Apple does not include features the consumer wants.
There are too many situations where if you did buy a none Apple device, you get in trouble.
Like, how hard is this to understand?
A lot of people posting here including you don't seem to either.
That new RCS standard has a literal man in the middle server, and baked in user tracking and advertising services. This is not the version of RCS you want to be taking over. Do not cheer for this.
You think iMessage is better? Why do some people here think Apple is better than Google when it comes to tracking and advertising data, because they're clearly not? Also as far as I'm aware, anybody can host servers. Also, also... RCS is not a Google made protocol but a GSMA standard and the official messaging protocol of 5G.
Sucks for them. Not Apple's problem. Their problem.
Literally 100% Apple's fault.
😱 HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT THIS EUROPE IS PICKING ON AN AMERICAN COMPANY OVER DUMB INSIGNIFICANT CRAP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME LOOK AT THIS GUYS, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, what's that there....*if users demand it*...... They all use Whatsapp in Europe - even users with iPhone pretty much - I look forward to the 'but you're keeping lovers apart and cyberbullying babies' campaigns in 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030.........

Your SMS replacement will be supported by iPhone don't worry you'll still be able to text grandma. Your text will still show up green probably on her iPhone though.
Most likely the EU will probably force Apple to use RCS at some point, assuming that side loading doesn't fix it by force. EU isn't the only country trying to force Apple, as Japan wants Apple to open up as well.

Does a governing body forcing them to do it set REALLY bad precedent for governmental control of private institutions? unfortunately, yes.
I don't understand why people hate government intervention of private companies? The only way democracy works is if your government that you voted for, does something for you. What you want is to vote with your wallet, which rarely works. Just a reminder that people with bigger wallets do exist, and therefore have more voting power. An unregulated market has and will be problematic. iPhones got USB-C because of this, and nobody said this was bad. If Apple was forced to use RCS, I guarantee you nobody will say it's bad either.

Green chat bubbles will become red "Messaging this user outside of imessage cannot guarantee privacy of your message. Do you want to proceed? (Snooze safety warnings for this user)"
Apple tried to have "special" USB-C charging cables and the EU immediately told them no. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did something similar with RCS if they were forced too.

I don't understand why people hate government intervention of private companies? The only way democracy works is if your government that you voted for, does something for you. What you want is to vote with your wallet, which rarely works. Just a reminder that people with bigger wallets do exist, and therefore have more voting power. An unregulated market has and will be problematic. iPhones got USB-C because of this, and nobody said this was bad. If Apple was forced to use RCS, I guarantee you nobody will say it's bad either.
Again, forced to use WHAT RCS? It’s not a standard agreed on or adopted broadly. It’s not SMS yet. Apple would be stupid not to integrate RCS into iMessage once it is adopted. Doesn’t it make more sense for Apple to wait for the world to figure out what the fucking standard is first? Again, it’s plainly obvious google is pushing this in order to force adoption of their bullshit advertising RCS. You care about democracy? Yeah, right.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time for posting the link.

There is a lot of acrimony in here. Which is pretty standard unfortunately for this forum and I myself have trolled from time to time, and I’m going to do my best to not do that here.
I have to tell you (I suppose in a nicer way) that you’re more or less presenting a ’nothing burger’.
There is no RCS standard across everything and it’s being used as a bargaining chip across carriers and Google themselves, which has been mentioned.

I’ll also point out that this issue reaches beyond the US. One of my dreams is having a true world phone. I’ve been waiting for the day where I can pay a single service provider, use a single phone, a single SIM (or eSIM), be in any country and simply have it work (and this is more a carrier thing, but have there be no cost penalties for doing so). Competing standards even in radio bands have slowed this process as any additional complexity makes it much harder to have a single modem that can do all bands.

The point? Unless there is an RCS standard that doesn’t just cover a particular brand, but the entire world (which means every cell phone provider), all it does is add additional complexity. Let’s take even Samsung or Google. What if every country has a provider that wants to circumvent their options and have their own? Verizon serves one country, you have any idea how many there are? Or how many cell phone providers there are globally? In order to support this Google/Samsung then will either have to have significantly more complex software to adapt to every country and their RCS standard or simply not be able to receive those standards. Which, if you’re paying attention is actually way more limited than SMS or iMessage. iMessage (and SMS) works in every country, and every cell phone provider. And if just talking about SMS, every single phone. And iMessage does the same, and kicks back to SMS if it‘s going to a non-iOS/macOS/iPadOS device.

Ironically this will do two things: make it far less likely for a company like Google to be able to grab control, because there are so many governing bodies that will want to put their finger in. And also ironically that will prevent them from being able to likely spam us with their terrible advertising platform, and/or steal our messaging data, which you both don‘t want to acknowledge and/or falsely equivocate with Apple’s levels of encryption. Because, the EU, which ironically you cited at the beginning of all of this, won’t have it. Privacy laws in France (and consequently the EU) are super strict. They take that seriously unlike here in the US.

So I can say pretty equivocally that RCS isn’t going to change anything anytime soon. And I again reiterate that the EU will likely do nothing about iMessage because it doesn’t prevent communication. Others have said the same. But hopefully you get my points and can take the spirit of them in the face of some that are either outright trolling or at least perhaps being mean spirited about it. If you want to keep discussing, go ahead, up to you. But I don’t see anything that you’ve posted that supports your claim at the core. Or anything that will bring about the changes you think are coming and I have read all of your links/articles.

For reference your 2019 article says this about RCS as a direct quote, and I think summarizes everything pretty well:
  1. Not enough carriers have adopted it
  2. Those that have adopted it sometimes did so without adhering to the international standard for interoperability called the “Universal Profile”
  3. It is not end-to-end encrypted, so it’s easy for governments to demand the contents of text messages sent using it
  4. Apple has had precisely zero to say about it, which everybody has interpreted as code for “lol we have iMessage good luck with that RCS thing.
Thanks for the cogent response. You have to remember this was 2019.

1) "it's a nothing burger" if it was a nothing burger this wouldn't be an issue.

2) "There's no RCS standard" RCS isn't limited to a brand it's apart of the 5G standard meaning literally every 5g phone supports it (uk or in the US) except Apple.

3) "Not enough carriers have adopted it" it's apart of 5g. If the carrier supports 5g then it supports RCS. In 2019 that might have been the case but it certainly isn't right now.

4) "its not end to end encrypted" as of August 2023 it is now.

5) "Apple has had absolutely zero to say about it" Apple not working with others is par for the course.

Thanks for the cogent response. You have to remember this was 2019.

1) "it's a nothing burger" if it was a nothing burger this wouldn't be an issue.

2) "There's no RCS standard" RCS isn't limited to a brand it's apart of the 5G standard meaning literally every 5g phone supports it (uk or in the US) except Apple.

3) "Not enough carriers have adopted it" it's apart of 5g. If the carrier supports 5g then it supports RCS. In 2019 that might have been the case but it certainly isn't right now.

4) "its not end to end encrypted" as of August 2023 it is now.

5) "Apple has had absolutely zero to say about it" Apple not working with others is par for the course.

We're still waiting for you to tell us how we won't be able to text grandma from our iPhones with SMS or SMS' official replacement as you told us would be the case......

Anything?

IMG_0161.gif

Last edited:
You think iMessage is better? Why do some people here think Apple is better than Google when it comes to tracking and advertising data, because they're clearly not? Also as far as I'm aware, anybody can host servers. Also, also... RCS is not a Google made protocol but a GSMA standard and the official messaging protocol of 5G.
RCS is a protocol, how companies choose to use, implement, or augment it is up to them.
Google and Samsung have partnered up and gone off script.
It still uses base RCS and follows all the rules but contains a whole lot of extras.

If RCS was just a single unified protocol you could send an RCS message from your phone on Verizon to a friend on T-Mobile or AT&T and not hit a half dozen compatibility issues along the way causing it to revert back to SMS which is currently the case. Which is why google has deployed relay servers that functions as that man in the middle for their implementation so that those sorts of cross network issues can be avoided.

And do you honestly think that Google and Apple are even remotely close to one another in terms of advertising and the selling of services that make use of the vast user data libraries they’ve collected?
Apple doesn’t share or sell any of that data, they use it internally to track usage and fix issues but they don’t share or sell and they salt the hell out of it.

Apple gives things like 43% of our users between 18 and 25 who live in North America with a household income greater than $52k would be interested in your product, they would spend an average of $7.32 a month on in app purchases.

Google hands out Mr Tom Bumblefuck who lives at 6969 cocksure lane frequently visits these stores, based on their associates member cards and credit card statements these are the purchases they have made in the last year. Their search history indicates they are interested in the following topics, these are the names and contact details of their closest friends and colleagues, these are the things they have in common. This is a copy of their last 3 years of spending on items similar to yours.

Google takes pride in the extreme levels of specificity their user profiles contain, and that data is freely given to those who are paying Google for their advertising services.

Apple sells hardware and software that’s how they make money, Google is an advertising company that’s how they make money. They don’t play the same game and they don’t use the data they collect the same ways.

I don’t have a problem with RCS, just how google is data mining and manipulating their partnered deployments of it.

If carriers and companies would stick to the base RCS protocol without tacking on all the extra’s Apple would have likely already added it.

Again, forced to use WHAT RCS? It’s not a standard agreed on or adopted broadly. It’s not SMS yet.
Again, it's part of the GSMA 5G standard. The problem is that Google does have their own version of RCS, which is built on top of GSMA's RCS, but it's still just RCS. Nobody is asking for Apple to implement Google's version, just the (GSMA) GLOBAL System for Mobile Communications Association. You know, global as in wildly adopted. iPhones do use their 5G standard and nobody complains about it, so why is RCS adoption a problem?
Apple would be stupid not to integrate RCS into iMessage once it is adopted. Doesn’t it make more sense for Apple to wait for the world to figure out what the fucking standard is first? Again, it’s plainly obvious google is pushing this in order to force adoption of their bullshit advertising RCS. You care about democracy? Yeah, right.
You mean like how Apple waited for USB-C to be globally adopted? It took the EU to push them to go USB-C because again this is how Apple pushes users to make more money. RCS is from 2007, so I think it's fully matured. Apple's reluctance is so bad that we're now asking Apple if the world can at least implement their iMessage standard, which again they refuse. I'm just amazed that so many people here posting are not only OK with this, but adamant about Apple having the right to literally fuck over their customers. You would not like Microsoft to push you to use Edge as the only web browser and we've taken Microsoft to court over for this, multiple times and nobody bats an eye. Same goes for Google and any other company, so why does Apple get a pass for being anti-consumer assholes here?

Again, it's part of the GSMA 5G standard. The problem is that Google does have their own version of RCS, which is built on top of GSMA's RCS, but it's still just RCS. Nobody is asking for Apple to implement Google's version, just the (GSMA) GLOBAL System for Mobile Communications Association. You know, global as in wildly adopted. iPhones do use their 5G standard and nobody complains about it, so why is RCS adoption a problem?

You mean like how Apple waited for USB-C to be globally adopted? It took the EU to push them to go USB-C because again this is how Apple pushes users to make more money. RCS is from 2007, so I think it's fully matured. Apple's reluctance is so bad that we're now asking Apple if the world can at least implement their iMessage standard, which again they refuse. I'm just amazed that so many people here posting are not only OK with this, but adamant about Apple having the right to literally fuck over their customers. You would not like Microsoft to push you to use Edge as the only web browser and we've taken Microsoft to court over for this, multiple times and nobody bats an eye. Same goes for Google and any other company, so why does Apple get a pass for being anti-consumer assholes here?

Just so we're clear the (obviously stupid if so) argument you guys are all trying to make:

Assume RCS is the replacent for SMS already in place and SMS is phased out already - there is only RCS now no longer any SMS at all

iPhones wouldn't be able to text non iPhone users at all anymore, because they'd have no RCS support and only iMessage to iMessage communication is at all technically possible

And Apple would not only do that nonsensical thing in the first place, but continue to, until you guys or the EU or Superman forced Apple to adopt RCS

Is that right, do I have it right?

Please say I'm incorrect and your argument is actually something else that you then explain 🙏

Edit: plus as I pointed out earlier - Apple can (and probably will) just make your RCS messages still just green in iMessages while iMessage communication still blue, I hope people didn't think RCS would change the blue/green bubble thing

Just so we're clear the (obviously stupid if so) argument you guys are all trying to make:

Assume RCS is the replacent for SMS already in place and SMS is phased out already - there is only RCS now no longer any SMS at all

iPhones wouldn't be able to text non iPhone users at all anymore, because they'd have no RCS support and only iMessage to iMessage communication is at all technically possible

And Apple would not only do that nonsensical thing in the first place, but continue to, until you guys or the EU or Superman forced Apple to adopt RCS

Is that right, do I have it right?

Please say I'm incorrect and your argument is actually something else that you then explain 🙏
Yes, people are actually saying this. Apple will obviously adopt whatever the standard is.

Bugs

Show intended (not bugs), as you claimed
What do you think is causing the bugs genius?
Here's another. It's funny that you think texting between iPhone users and Android users isn't problematic since that's one of the main issues outlined in the article.

I can go all day because issues texting between the two environments are numerous. Hope you got some coffee.

Back