Post Your Mac Setup!

when the intilimac returns from sleeping, if ichat was on, it'll give some error about not being able to join group and I need to quit (sometimes force quit) ichat and start it up again for it to work. nothing major, but not something i was experiencing on the G5s. though I'm not going to complain too much being an early adopter.

-esr

Are you sure it's not just a local software error? That seems like a pretty darn big bug... Oh well. Apple's motto seems to be "release early, release often." I'm sure a fix is due in a couple of weeks.

jan06_1.jpg

Was going to tidy those cables up that hang from under the shelf in the corner but decided to just order a Dell 2405fpw to cover them up ;)

Tarff said:
jan06_1.jpg

Was going to tidy those cables up that hang from under the shelf in the corner but decided to just order a Dell 2405fpw to cover them up ;)
:eek: :eek: thats cute :p.. ill post mine in a bit.

well my dear friend (we'll try not to hijack this thread) there are other things. the airport drops my network intermittently in a way the powermac never used to and there have been other minor stumbling blocks. still better then my old xp systems but not up to par with the G5 yet. but i am an early addopter so its my bad i know.

-esr

:eek:
esr2 said:
updated setup pic...

DSC_0038.jpg

the cup has some sort of leamondae vodka thingie in it my roomie made... the desk is from staples.. though they've sold out so i made them sell me the floor model. picture is of course the new 20" imac intelduo with 20" ACD and 250GB lacie for movies and such

Black Morty Rackham said:
I want to rob you of your computer, esr2.

me too! i want a 20" intellimac sooo much, but budgets suckk :(

esr2, u lucky bastard! how do you like it so far? is it worth the money?

yes.... but (u knew there was a but) it sucks monkey ballz on non universal apps. things like itunes and the like are noticably faster (i'm talking scrolling here on itunes, importing photos on iphoto - imagine that, an quick enough that it's useful iphoto). non universal aplications, things like word, toast, quicken, photoshop are noticably slower. I've only got 512mb right now, i may pick up another gig or two tomorrow, i'm not sure. I'd wager the increase in memory will help with the rosetta slowness (anyone remember the OSX switch and running classic apps? though this one's not as sluggish). I actually abandonned toast because of it and bought the first CD authoring program i could find running universal (discblaze) and it's been great. Camino has also been great, i just keep hitting up versiontracker each day to see which of my favorite apps have been recompiled. open office will be a while though.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. i have noticed the 'airport' (i'm not sure we're talking apple hardware anymore, not that it ever was made by apple) is much weaker, it drops signal where my powermac, mini, powerbook and ibook do not.

is it worth what i paid for it? hell yes. is it worth educational price, sure. retail? yeah if you're looking to save some desk space and don't mind the pitfalls of early adopting. just make sure you have at least a gig of ram.

-esr

oh and frontrow is delightfully entertaining.

When it comes to Rosetta performance, an abundance of RAM is absolutely vital. According to one test I saw, a freshly-booted Word took up about 50% more RAM in Rosetta on a Core Duo than it does natively on a G5. With a ~120 page document loaded, that ballooned into about three times more RAM! :eek:

Tarff said:
http://www.dserv.org/images/desk/jan06_1.jpg

That doesn't look like 1920x1200 on your XPS. If you want it at 1920x1200 res, reinstall the video card drivers. Nice setup though. :)

just giving this thread a little bump and here's my computer room in my new apartment: still finishing up with the details of the furniture and what more....
:)
What do you guys think of the wiring? Both the PC and the Powerbook are connected to the wall outlets!

The Saint said:
just giving this thread a little bump and here's my computer room in my new apartment: still finishing up with the details of the furniture and what more....
:)
What do you guys think of the wiring? Both the PC and the Pwerbook are connected to the wall outlets!

very nice! and a+++ wiring job

holy crap thats a nice desk :cool: :D :D

nice wiring job as mentioned, and nice 'toys' as well

Nice setups. My IntelliMac Duo Core 2.0 / 2GB Ram / 256 VRAM is on its way right now. Will be here on thursday. Will post pics. <3

Im sure it will be worth it. I sold my Pentium EE 3.2 Watercooled setup with Dell 2005FPW to afford this.... So it better be worth it.

The only thing I was wondering was about toast. But I seen esr mention someting about diskblaze so I will have to give it a try. I will give comments and take plenty of pics as soon as UPS / Fedex Whomever would deliver my Mac.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Nice setups. My IntelliMac Duo Core 2.0 / 2GB Ram / 256 VRAM is on its way right now. Will be here on thursday. Will post pics. <3

Im sure it will be worth it. I sold my Pentium EE 3.2 Watercooled setup with Dell 2005FPW to afford this.... So it better be worth it.

The only thing I was wondering was about toast. But I seen esr mention someting about diskblaze so I will have to give it a try. I will give comments and take plenty of pics as soon as UPS / Fedex Whomever would deliver my Mac.
OOOOOO it will be worth it..... and if for some odd reason you dont like it :eek: i will take it off your hands

toast is a bit stronger in terms of burning images etc, discblaze is great for a nero like app, very simple and bear bones.

-esr

BUMP for great justice! (This thread is just too pretty to let it fall to page 2 :))

p.s. will be posting my mac setup as soon as I get settled into my new apartment next week!

I'll post mine soon, I didn't get home early enough from work to go pick up my Intel Imac from fedex so it'll have to wait until tomarrow

Ok here it is, my brand new 20" Intel Imac with the 256mb Vram upgrade and 1gb of ram:
imac.jpg

The 20" adc is hooked up to my pc right now eventualy once I am less dependent on my pc for stuff I'll probably move it to be my second dispaly for the Imac

Nice setup there, CFlux. I think I speak for almost everyone when I say we are all jealous of you and esr2... :p

ampedxc27 said:
Nice setup there, CFlux. I think I speak for almost everyone when I say we are all jealous of you and esr2... :p
Spoken for me, at least!

insanarchist said:
BUMP for great justice! (This thread is just too pretty to let it fall to page 2 :))

p.s. will be posting my mac setup as soon as I get settled into my new apartment next week!
this thread is too pretty to be bumped from the top of the page :D

when the MacBook Pro's start coming in, they better be in this thread :p

ampedxc27 said:
No, because the new intel mini's have the IR sensor on the right of the optical drive.
Yup.. I decided to wait until the OS and programs for it are all fully intel native. Needless to say, I'll be waiting a while for the Intel Mac.

lesman said:
Yup.. I decided to wait until the OS and programs for it are all fully intel native. Needless to say, I'll be waiting a while for the Intel Mac.
not gonna happen....

they are gonna be universal binaries, meaning PPC and Intel native

of course thats what you meant..right?

ps. the OS and all iLife apps (iphoto, garageband, etc) are already universal binaries...its apples pro apps, and 3rd party apps that still need to be converted

My new MacBook Pro with the following specs:

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Will be upgraded to 2 gigs of memory as soon as I can afford it. This will be my primary machine for school.

macpro.jpg

macpro1.jpg

I'll bite. Nice to see where everyone does their thing. I always loved the look of a nice crisp clean workstation, but i could never get mine to stay clean...it's a bit more messy than usual, doing some pre-spring cleaning, selling stuff I dont use anymore.

desk0ho.jpg

Anyway here we go (a few non macs stuck in there). From bottom left corner, MythTV box, old TBird 850, 300GB HD, on top of that is a 1700+ MP system, S2460, not really being used for anything right now, maybe OTA HD DVR. To the right is a Digital Audio Powermac, Dual 1.8Ghz G4s, a gig of ram, Radeon 9600 pro, and some pretty ghetto cooling (need to work that out...). Then 17" LCD. Then 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook, on top of an old G3 iBook (for sale :D). All controled by Synergy (love that app.)

And a 60gb 5G iPod and a 512mb Shuffle in the front.

I need more storage and LCD love.

Back