PNY GTX 770 XLR8 OC2 Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
PNY GTX 770 XLR8 OC2 Video Card Review - Today we dive in to PNY’s GTX 770 XLR8 OC2 video card, featuring a colossal factory overclock and PNY’s own ultimate cooling system. We will evaluate this video cards performance against the the similarly priced competition of the Radeon R9 290, and also a high-end custom overclocked Radeon R9 280X.

This a very interesting review. After reading the Watch Dogs review, I wonder how the 4GB would hold up in that game. In then end tho - I think the overclocked 290s are really the best value if i were gonna buy today - and this review bears that out.

These reviews of the 770 cards are especially interesting to me as I am sitting on a couple of 680s (which I think are the same basic card). I am currently playing through Far Cry 3, and that game can really stress your video even tho it's a couple of years old.

Interesting review, but with even custom cooled R9 290 cards within $20-$30 ... I don't see much point in the 770, at this point anymore (or a high end 280x card for that matter). You're getting a lot more value with a 290.

X3 on the "interesting review" bus. I've had a few PNY cards over the years and loved each for being quiet and cool, so it's good to see that continue. I also would liek to see how this performs in Watch Dogs. The 4gb vram might make it a real 1080p gem for that game; particularly since it came with it!

I've seen 280X cards with custom coolers and slightly lower clock speeds for up to $100 less than 4GB 770's with the same base overclock. I don't see a $100 value considering they tied on BF4 and Crysis 3 and the 280X took Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3.

I've seen 280X cards with custom coolers and slightly lower clock speeds for up to $100 less than 4GB 770's with the same base overclock. I don't see a $100 value considering they tied on BF4 and Crysis 3 and the 280X took Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3.

Its Nvidia.... They always charge more for same performance. ( most of the time )

I thought someone necro bumped a thread from last year, lol.

Interesting review, but with even custom cooled R9 290 cards within $20-$30 ... I don't see much point in the 770, at this point anymore (or a high end 280x card for that matter). You're getting a lot more value with a 290.
Because 280x's are down to $250 now.
Even the regular 2 GB 770's are sub-$300.

Good review!
Having 4GB of memory on this card was silly, the memory bus is to narrow to ever take advantage of it while gaming.
Watchdogs is broken due to it being a console port, maybe they will be able to patch the game so it stops eating up all your Vram. I think it has to do with how the new consoles use the same memory for both system and gpu.(I know on-baord GPU's have done this for ever, but its allocated differently)

Last edited:
Not sure I understand how the performance of the 280x and 770 flip flop with the same settings in these two graphs.

1400434424HNpkYjw1Wf_6_3.jpg

1400434424HNpkYjw1Wf_9_1.jpg

Good review!
Having 4GB of memory on this card was silly, the memory bus is to narrow to ever take advantage of it while gaming.
Watchdogs is broken due to it being a console port, maybe they will be able to patch the game so it stops eating up all your Vram. I think it has to do with how the new consoles use the same memory for both system and gpu.(I know on-baord GPU's have done this for ever, but its allocated differently)
A few months ago I would have agreed but now 4gb is not silly at all for some games. There are at least 3 games where 2gb will limit graphics options and or performance already even at 1080. Going forward it will only become even more useful. And that is not even considering any modding that some people like to do.

This card for $359 is not a bad deal but a $459 its a rip off though.

As of this moment its only 310 bucks shipped with no rebate to fool with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6EAN7U

EDIT: And Newegg will match the price too with its "iron egg" guarantee. And on Newegg it comes with Watch Dogs.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon states it will email you a code for Watch Dogs when you check out. I just bought the card. Great price.

Last edited:
Good review!

Clearly you have never gamed in anything higher than FXAA lol, Crysis 3 with everything maxed, and i mean max, MSAA the whole shabangabang, hits 3.5GB vram, Skyrim with 200 mods hits around that, Watch_dogs, BF4 goes past 2GB, BF3 hits 1.9 on my GTX 760s SLI 2GBs, cmon man you can't be recommending a 2GB video card these days, there are games coming in the near future that are asking beefier specs, imagine if you then throw in another GTX 770 for SLI like I did and see if you aren't shooting yourself in the foot for buying a measly 2GB of VRAM....talk about bad advice

As of this moment its only 310 bucks shipped with no rebate to fool with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6EAN7U

EDIT: And Newegg will match the price too with its "iron egg" guarantee. And on Newegg it comes with Watch Dogs.

Now that I double check, that IS actually the wrong card you bought, even the link you posted takes you to the normal OC, not OC2, the OC2 link is
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-D...=1405544215&sr=1-1&keywords=VCGGTX7704XPB-OC2

ike I was telling Wastegate, people are thinking they are buying this OC2 card in this article with the 1202mhz boost clock but they are buying the normal OC card, there are 2 4GB cards, one OC, another OC2. The slower OC one is the one that was on sale for 309, the OC2
has never been that low im on slickdeals and i watch it like a hawk, the OC2 has never been to $309, lowest was $349.09 when I submitted a price match to Amazon from B&H Photo Video, check out pcpartspicker.com and check amazon history prices, you will see OC2 never reached $310..

PROOF:
6/12 http://slickdeals.net/f/6993862-pny-gtx-770-4gb-oc-watch-dogs-309-amazon-back-in-stock?v=1

6/09 http://slickdeals.net/f/6977520-pny-gtx-770-4gb-at-amazon-for-309-99-with-watch-dogs?v=1

6/04 http://slickdeals.net/f/6977520-pny-gtx-770-4gb-at-amazon-for-309-99-with-watch-dogs?v=1

All of those were the OC, not OC2

From camel for OC2:
Highest * $478.71 Dec 06, 2013
Lowest * $349.09 Jul 10, 2014

i LIVE and breathe deals trust me it was no OC2

Here is the $310 for the OC you are talking about off camel:
Current $358.99 Jun 12, 2014
Highest * $449.99 Oct 18, 2013
Lowest * $309.99 May 27, 2014
Average + $381.92
http://camelcamelcamel.com/PNY-GDDR5-Graphics-Cards-VCGGTX7704XPB-OC/product/B00F6EAN7U

I just scored a slick ass deal on 2 of these bad boys:

359.99 + $4.99 shipping - 15% cashback from Rakut3n of $50 (used code REWARDME on Sunday, expired now) - %1.75 cashback of fatwallet.com of $6.38 =$308.50 for a ridiculously OC'ed PNY 4GB GTX 770 OC2....smoking deal for a faster card than the OC one that was on amazon for $309!

Im in for 2 for SLI, total was 729 - 100 cashback to use on rakut3n.com - 12 fatwallet.com = $617 for both, or $308.50 a pop, beat the amazon deal on a faster card with 100$ back to spend on .com for whatever I want (3TB WD Green anyone?) :D lol for something that smokes a Titan twice as expensive, no single video card can beat SLI 770s right now and with 4GB vram it will really open them up...can't believe people still recommend 2GB VRAM They arrive tomorrow :D :D I will be uploading SLI videos and benchmarks on my youtube channel

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon states it will email you a code for Watch Dogs when you check out. I just bought the card. Great price.

Which card did you buy? Because there was the OC, not this card, for $309 a month ago with rebate, and the OC2 was 349.09 last week with no rebate because I submitted a price match from B&H Photo Video. I think people are confusing the OC card with the OC2 card...

Back