Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

Do IT!!

Help me decide is the 8 Pro is worth it. Speakers? Any better to match these new spectacular displays?
I think my 8 Pro's speakers sound fuller/more robust than those on the 7 Pro. It's not a massive difference, but definitely a step up, IMO. Samsung S23 Ultra had the best speakers I've heard on any phone.

Back to trying the Pixel 8, yeah it is a cool small phone, but for me just too small, feels scrunched up like a toy phone almost.

And the hardware is just nicer on the Pro, especially the display tech.

Back to trying the Pixel 8, yeah it is a cool small phone, but for me just too small, feels scrunched up like a toy phone almost.

And the hardware is just nicer on the Pro, especially the display tech.
I'm a big phone guy, too.

Check Google store again...
That's even more of a reason you should go to Best Buy if you want to trade in...

Google took away the free Pixel Watch 2 and drastically decreased values. I had my eye on trading in a Pixel 6a- originally offered $300 and now $105 or a Pixel 7 Pro 512GB- originally offered $450 and now offers $325. Looks like the Google Store is 100% the way not to order if you have a trade-in.

I was checking Google for trade in on my Pixel 4a and they offered $45, with no watch or buds offer. When I checked Best Buy they offered $235 which is darn close to what I paid for it, used. Still not sure about upgrading to the new phone, as I like the Pixel1/Pixel4a size, but it doesn't seem like anyone is making "smaller-sized" phones these days.

I was checking Google for trade in on my Pixel 4a and they offered $45, with no watch or buds offer. When I checked Best Buy they offered $235 which is darn close to what I paid for it, used. Still not sure about upgrading to the new phone, as I like the Pixel1/Pixel4a size, but it doesn't seem like anyone is making "smaller-sized" phones these days.
Asus Zenfone 10 is hands down the best "smaller-sized" phone.

The Google store trade in values for P6 and 7 went to total shit and it's actually a disgrace to dump the phone for that amount of money.
you shopped at the wrong store I got $450 for a pixel 7 and $300 for a Pixel 6a

Question for those that stick to the stock launcher, are you running the grid of 4x5 or 5x5?

Stock 5x5;
1000000225.png

Couple photos of my super great dog Midnight. Trying on a hat for winter time. These were not portrait shots. I probably took a dozen and these are the only good ones. You've got about half a second to get a good dog picture before she moves her head.

Attachments

• PXL_20231020_133954953.jpg
    PXL_20231020_133954953.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231020_134000440.jpg
    PXL_20231020_134000440.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 0
I ordered the ultra slim case directly from Mous on the 18th, it's the 20th and haven't heard anything since. I got an order # right away when I placed it, but nothing since. Clicking the support link in my gmail didn't work, and going to their website seemed rather weird, my e-mail didn't show up in their system.

I had to go to the support page, and they say it will take 3 days to reply to e-mails. WTF? For an expensive $69 thin case there customer support seems pretty lacking, I get better support and tracking from Amazon on cheap $9 cases. I typically never spend this much on cases, for $70 this better be good, and I better be able to track my freaking order easier, without needing to e-mail their support page.

I have a Ringke clear matte case coming from Amazon tomorrow. It was $14, and I have liked the feel and grip of those cases on past phones.

I'm just upset that Mous and a $70 case has such poor ordering process so far, with no updates on shipping. Now I feel dumb spending so much on a case, I'll probably like that Ringke case more LOL.

Changed my home screen to the classic Pixel home screen of the last couple years

The 4x5 just seems to look better on these large screens. Samsung has been doing that with One UI lately and looks good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020-215827.png
    Screenshot_20231020-215827.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Got the Case Mate clear case through Google, holy cow that thing popped in super tight.

Tried to take it off to try another case, Jesus Christmas it's on so tight, my fingers got purple and blue pinching the side to remove the phone. Ugh. How do I take the phone out of the case without breaking my brand new phone? LOL

Funny I bought 3 clear cases;

-Cheap Amazon case for $9 before the phone released.

-Google store bought Case Mate for $40

-Best Buy OtterBox clear case for $40 ( stupid me )

And you know which one I like best? The cheap $9 Amazon case. It's thinnest, and had a tacky almost sticky grip to it. The other two expensive cases were bulky and we're super stiff almost breaking the phone to remove the case, plus both were very slick feeling poor grip.

I ordered the ultra slim case directly from Mous on the 18th, it's the 20th and haven't heard anything since. I got an order # right away when I placed it, but nothing since. Clicking the support link in my gmail didn't work, and going to their website seemed rather weird, my e-mail didn't show up in their system.

I had to go to the support page, and they say it will take 3 days to reply to e-mails. WTF? For an expensive $69 thin case there customer support seems pretty lacking, I get better support and tracking from Amazon on cheap $9 cases. I typically never spend this much on cases, for $70 this better be good, and I better be able to track my freaking order easier, without needing to e-mail their support page.
Do you normally buy $150+ in phone cases for every phone? Dafuq dude, lol. I assume you're returning some of these at least 😅

I usually just buy a $10-$20 TPU case that's relatively thin and they've always held up and saved the phone from countless drops while also being grippy enough to hold.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i agree the pixel case they sell was on sale with phone. I got hazel one to match pixel 8. I really like metal button but the silcon case feels slimy and ready to degrade out of box. I see that i will look for maybe a

Spigen case. I hope the add soft linning soon.​

I think I'm going to trade my 512GB 7 pro in for the 1TB one. I've wanted a 1TB android for many years and finally here it is.

I think I'm going to trade my 512GB 7 pro in for the 1TB one. I've wanted a 1TB android for many years and finally here it is.
Strongly recommend you go to Best Buy instead of Google Store. You'll get a much better trade in value on your 7 Pro.

Settling back in on the 4x5 grid layout, keeping that stock Pixel design for my home screen, the colors pop, and everything looks super sharp;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022-101840.png
    Screenshot_20231022-101840.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The preference setting you are seeking to locate was located in previous versions of Gboard.
It was titled "Keyboard height" and it looked like this.

View attachment 605737

View attachment 605740

Finding the Keyboard height setting and changing your keyboard height with a simple click was intuitive.
However, on Oct 2, 2023 Gboard was updated to version 13.4.07.559388404.
In this latest version of Gboard you will no longer find that setting located in Preferences.
Now you have to click on an odd looking icon that looks like this, and select a newly named setting titled "Resize"

View attachment 605749

View attachment 605751

After you click on "Resize" you then have to fiddle with a resizing rectangle that looks like this.

View attachment 605756

Have fun..:rolleyes:
Look at what I discovered with Gboard.

Follow the above instructions and then enable "Auto-rotate" 🙂
Now THIS is a big keyboard 👇

1697992326709.jpeg

Is it covering the whole screen?
All the territory below the arrows belongs to the keyboard. All the territory above the arrows belongs to the app that called the keyboard.

Here are two examples:

This is Google Messages.
1698047192107.jpeg

This is Gmail.
1698047973091.jpeg

This

Last edited:
I have neither the stuttering nor the discoloration issue recently linked here. Nexus 8 Pro.

My battery life seems to be substantially better than my non-Pro 6. I dunno how it would compare to an iPhone.

Back to that article about jank or stutters? I actually do see a very little bit of this, but mostly when unlocking the phone, when the AOD black screen lights up the wallpaper to show the full clock and it's about to unlock the phone, right there that black transition to the colored wallpaper and the clock changing from white in the AOD, to then the color clock, I do see some minor miscrostutters for a split second.

And just sometimes, very rarely, when closing an app and opening another, I might see super split second stutter.

My Wife still hasn't taken the smaller Pixel 8 yet, so I still play with it, and have it setup almsot identically to my 8 Pro, and the smaller 8 does not show that AOD lock screen to fade into unlocking, that minor jank I get on the 8 Pro is not there at all on the 8.

Now this is not a deal breaker or making me change my opinion on the Pixel 8 Pro whatsoever, I LOVE this phone, and know that in a patch or two this will get ironed out. But honest thoughts are, the smaller Pixel 8 just seems ever so slightly smoother for some odd reason, it's barely noticeable, the difference, but swiping through apps, opening and closing them, go into settings, and exit and fade out, etc... the Pixel 8 is just a tad smoother and more fluid than the 8 Pro, from what I see.

Back