Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

The changes in the input lag through firmware updates has been tested by a member with a Leo Bodnar and lines up with expectations; it's not like we are just making up whatever numbers we want.

Interessting. I thought Leo Bodnar cannot measure the input lag in 4k.

Did I miss something or did you leave out this little bit of information?

Last edited:
Is there any way to restrict a full-screen 1080p video, so that it doesn't capture the whole screen?

I'm thinking specifically of the fullscreen option on YouTube. I'd like it to take a quarter of my 4k screen while I have other windows open. It would be less than ideal of pressing the full screen button took up the entire 4k screen.

I think when you press the fullscreen button Youtube will always use the full screen.

There is a Philips software which lets you partition your desktop in areas: https://youtu.be/Wdnow9a7eUE?t=212

But I think by hitting the full screen button it would still fill the full screen.

I think the Philips also has a multi view feature, so you could attach a second graphics cable and use the display like two displays. There are some picture-by-picture and picture-in-picture options.

The 6series seems to be very low end. Well, you know it yourself. How many days have you had it, until it wasen't good enough and you spend a lot more money for the 7series? (This was a rethorical question, I do not really want an answer.)

I'm going to answer this anyway, just to provide some clarification. To be clear, I was perfectly happy with the 6700 (as are many others). But there were a few members in that thread who got the 7xxx series and proclaimed that there was this massive reduction in motion blur/ghosting, which I did not notice. It might have been a little better, but not night and day. So the 6700 was never "not good enough" for me; I just got lured into trying the 7xxx series based on some posts that hyped it up.

I could be perfectly content with the 6700. The reason why I am keeping the 7500 is because it has higher end TV features, and will make a better TV in a few years if I end up moving on to another PC display (crossing fingers for a 40" 4K 144hz G-Sync! :D). Plus it will only cost me only $10 to send the 6700 back, and more like $125 for the 7500 (long story).

As for the rest of your post, honestly man I'm not going to read it or reply to it. For everyone's sake, I do not want to clutter this thread up any further with back-and-forth diatribes with you. It's like a Democrat vs. a Republican. I'm never going to convince you and you're never going to convince me, and we could just keep debating endlessly about this. I'm done engaging in this battle with you...let's just agree to disagree.

I gained a ton of information on the Philips through this thread, and the Samsung through that thread...and I'm appreciative of it. By now, most people shopping for a 40" 4K display should know about the Philips and the Samsung. They can make their own informed choice. Both seem to be really decent displays by all standards. There are a bunch of happy owners of each. I prefer to live with the shortcomings of one, and you the other. Nothing wrong with that.

Interessting. I thought Leo Bodnar cannot measure the input lag in 4k.

I believe that's correct. And input lag was tested by a member with the Leo Bodnar after each firmware update, and he found that it decreased in Game mode. Serious question here (not trying to incite anything)...if the lag decreased with each firmware at 1080p where it could be measured accurately with the LB, does it not stand to reason that it would also show a similar decrease at 4K? I don't understand how input lag could decrease in one resolution but not another.

Another serious question: how was input lag tested at 4K on the Philips, since the Leo Bodnar cannot do it?

Hopefully this is the start of a more productive conversation. ;)

tftcentral reviewed the monitor tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm they use a photosensor with an osciloscope http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/response_time.htm which can test any resolution, or really anything that emits light.

As for why it makes a difference, the way a 4k signal is handled both at a software and hardware level can change depending on the resolution introducing more or less lag.

Leo Bodnar need to update the lag tester to be able to accept UHD etc. As to when they will do this I have nfi, demand can't be too high for the product as it is. With any luck by the end of the year, more likely next year or the year after.

tftcentral reviewed the monitor tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm they use a photosensor with an osciloscope http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/response_time.htm which can test any resolution, or really anything that emits light.

As for why it makes a difference, the way a 4k signal is handled both at a software and hardware level can change depending on the resolution introducing more or less lag.

Response time just one (smallest) contributor to total lag.
Total display lag is response time + signal processing time.
The way they measure it at tftcentral. (SMTT)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/input_lag.htm

You say "- Some reports of dull or washed out colors" was that the guy, the one guy, talking about his ubersaturated LG colors? Of course the colors look washed out compared to unnatural saturated colors. In a PC display you usually go for natural colors. "Washed out colors" is the typical comment you get from someone you put in front of a calibrated display for the first time.

That was probably me talking about my previous LG 4K monitor. But it is silly to compare the Philips to a top end wide gamut colour accurate 4K monitor that was designed specifically for colour accuracy and fidelity. But after stuffing around with the settings on the Philips I got a very nice image and colour quality out of it almost as good as the high end LG I was talking about so I am really happy with it now. I don't think I will trade the Philips for another monitor for a long time.

I am talking about measurements!

In real life, espettially in daylight better brightness, more reflective screen and more saturated colors can easily compensate lack "real" contrast. Measured black depth and contrast on almost dim OLED or AMOLED screen will always infinite, so measurements gives you only part of the truth. And after all, Philips is no-so-bright display, for me it's ok in night, but on daylight? Well, my old TN panel with 400cd/m^2 looks way more contrasted. :(

But it is silly to compare the Philips to a top end wide gamut colour accurate 4K monitor

I would rather say: "To any wide gamut monitor". Besides, panel in my laptop(Dell e6530) is not a wide-gamut or anything good at all, but color saturation is way better. So, I guess it make me the second man who reported about washed out colors. :)

Of course the colors look washed out compared to unnatural saturated colors.

It is a matter of preference. So don't tell anybody what they should prefer. :) Besides, you can always reduce saturation on oversaturated screen, but you can not make Philips wide-gamut display.

The chromacity isn't quite on the same level as some IPS panels it's true. You can improve it with settings like digital vibrance in Nvidia control panel, but that's only of limited help.

I currently have a BenQ GW2760HS to compare against an Acer XB270HU, and the BenQ doesn't have quite as muted colors as the Philips. The Acer IPS panel on the other hand is quite a bit better at reproducing vibrant and uniform colors. Unfortunately the same can't be said about dark tones. Comparing a dark scene between the Philips and Acer is more jarring than the differences in chromacity when looking at bright and colorful scenes.

In the end you're always making compromises. Personally for me the black depth is far more important since I play a lot of dark games and watch dark content on the monitor, but if someone's more concerned about things like high brightness and vibrance and uses their monitor only in bright lighting I think IPS is the better option.

The chromacity isn't quite on the same level as some IPS panels it's true.
It's true, but I'm not sure if it's all "VA or IPS" dilemma. There are TN based wide-gamut monitors, so why VA has to be condemned to dull, flat colors?

It's true, but I'm not sure if it's all "VA or IPS" dilemma. There are TN based wide-gamut monitors, so why VA has to be condemned to dull, flat colors?
They don't. My Dell 2709w's are PVA and wide color gamut. It just depends on the panel and backlighting.

Adding to that, a TN regardless of what ever else they do with it, is still going to be crap as far as color accuracy and viewing angles is concerned, it's also a market ripe for marketing bullshit, like those 10bit TN panels, like anyone that needs 10 bit and has the hardware for it is ever going to buy one of those (even assuming it was actual 10bits).

Also should be said a lot of people love for wide gamut ends up being because funny enough they are seeing the colors being oversaturated.

. So, I guess it make me the second man who reported about washed out colors. :)

Also like I said, after doing some tuning I got the colours looking more vibrant on the Philips and am quiet happy with it now, it's really what kept me from selling it and getting another monitor.

Does anyone else hear an occasional transformer sound from the LCD? I am quite happy w/ it overall. But I did hear this sound on occasion, and it lasts a few minutes. It's not always there

I use this about 8 hr. a day, I don't see any burn in since the day I got it, May 1.

Other than the occasional noise, I'm very happy.

Does this monitor have the similar option in the OSD, like " saturation " ??
Thank you

The similar option to what? Not sure I follow.

If you want to know the details of the OSD best thing is to either download the user guide from Philips. Alternatively some of the reviews of the monitor go through every detail of the OSD - I think it was prad.de that did it the best or maybe it was the review at tft-central.

Thank you, igluk
Anyway, i changed my mind about Philips, because of the artifacts
Are they very bad / visible / annoying / on every Philips BDM4065UC ?!
How would you compare Philips BDM4065UC vs Samsung 4k tv / 40" ( flat ) ?

Is this ( artifacts ) on all Philips BDM4065UC displays ?
Or, just a question of luck ?
What about mirroring ? Is that annoying ?

Last edited:
Is this ( artifacts ) on all Philips BDM4065UC displays ?
Or, just a question of luck ?
What about mirroring ? Is that annoying ?

I think the artifacts is on all, but I do not see them unless I try to really create a situation to bring them out and even then I think they are easily missed. I think of it as a non-issue and there are so many upsides to the monitor the thing is hard not to enjoy.

On the mirroring then it depends. Say you're playing like a space sim in a very dark room and then put a light somewhere behind you the reflections can be annoying. Same thing if you have a light shining on your body from behind the screen making you well lit then you may see yourself as a reflection. However with a little though on where to put ones room lighting such issues are easily fixed. Same thing with the natural light from the windows, that really bright thing on the sky can cause reflections but it is not much of an issue.
Also I have a hard time imagining that with such a big monitor that offers such black levels there is really no way around some mirroring. I have two big art prints on my wall one is behind anti-reflex glass and the other behind normal glass. The one behind the anti-reflex glass still show some mirroring only somewhat diffused which is good, but the art behind the glass is also a little less crisp due to the treated glass which is a bad thing.

I think the artifacts is on all, but I do not see them unless I try to really create a situation to bring them out and even then I think they are easily missed. I think of it as a non-issue and there are so many upsides to the monitor the thing is hard not to enjoy.

On the mirroring then it depends. Say you're playing like a space sim in a very dark room and then put a light somewhere behind you the reflections can be annoying. Same thing if you have a light shining on your body from behind the screen making you well lit then you may see yourself as a reflection. However with a little though on where to put ones room lighting such issues are easily fixed. Same thing with the natural light from the windows, that really bright thing on the sky can cause reflections but it is not much of an issue.
Also I have a hard time imagining that with such a big monitor that offers such black levels there is really no way around some mirroring. I have two big art prints on my wall one is behind anti-reflex glass and the other behind normal glass. The one behind the anti-reflex glass still show some mirroring only somewhat diffused which is good, but the art behind the glass is also a little less crisp due to the treated glass which is a bad thing.

I play Elite Dangerous in a lit room, as well as a dark room, and I can't really tell the difference except that I feel more immersed in the dark room. I also watch tv shows, and movies, and have a black desktop background. I'm not bothered by reflections, unless I really make a point to find them. The benefits of the glossy screen outweigh the possible reflections IMO.

I still wonder why so many people prefer Samsung 4k tv 40" as pc monitor, instead Philips BDM4065UC monitor ( low input lag, Display Port, etc etc )

Last edited:
The biggest factor is related to stock I would say, in the US you can't really get the Philips easily without importing it, while you can get the samsung right away for even less money than the price of the philips, even in the EU there is a stock issue, which also leads to those that have more reliable stock to put the price above the MSRP, which increases even more the price difference.
There are OFC other factors, like the samsung having curved panels versions.

I am not talking the curved panels versions
And i'm from Europe, i have the choice to order right now Philips BDM4065UC for 767 euro, either Samsung UE40JU6450 for 790 euro
I think, after i read a lot of threads, i go for Philips
How would you compare the colors, contrast, brightness, black levels, sharpness, clarity, between those 2 ?!

Your question was why people seemed to prefer the samsung, not why you should choose one over the other, they are significantly different questions.

Unfortunately for the later you will have an hard time getting anything that resembles a conclusive answer, since I don't think that there has been any reliable website that has reviewed both of them, and really that's what you would want, since opinions relating to color quality and that sort of stuff are about as reliable as a politician word.

Personally I would go with the Philips pure and simply because there has been ample scrutiny of it, both at a professional and amateur level, and short of a few small issues (for most people it would seem) it has been found to be a pretty good monitor. That being said regardless of what you buy I would strongly advise buying it from a place that can accept returns without creating much issue with it, since going for a 40" monitor is an adjustment, and isn't for everyone.

Thanks, Micael
And if i'm using the Samsung TV as a pc monitor, with mod PC ( whatever the name is ) do i have access to user Define / RGB / Contrast / Brightness / Sharpness / ?

Should clarify that I don't have nor have I ever had the Samsung, I have the Philips, that being said would be extremely surprised if you couldn't change those basic settings while using the PC mode, generally speaking in monitors the only modes that don't allow those changes are usually modes that are factory calibrated, like the sRGB setting on the Philips.

Thanks, Micael
And if i'm using the Samsung TV as a pc monitor, with mod PC ( whatever the name is ) do i have access to user Define / RGB / Contrast / Brightness / Sharpness / ?

I think the best way to find out for sure is to, as the saying goes, RTFM :)

Link to the Samsung web site download manual page.

To me the Philips/Samsung choice seems pretty easy. If you'd like a TV that also can work as a monitor then go with the Samsung, but if what you need is really a monitor then the Philips is the better option. Or to put it differently if you need a good knife you get a knife not a multi-tool, but if you need a multi-tool you don't get a knife.

Thanks to everyone, all 2799 posts have been great! Placed my order earlier this month through Amazon US (via the "new" link) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00SCX78JS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Amazon is showing June 17th to July 7th as a delivery window currently. Looking forward to the big 40" 4K experience, since watching this thread back in early December!
FYI - Not a gamer, I do electroncis design, so the extra monitor real estate will be very welcome (currently running 2x 1920x1200 - Dell monitor, laptop screen)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mine arrived a few days ago and I've had a three day weekend to test it out. Overall its very nice but I'm noticing a lot of screen tearing. Movies will tear even if they're running in a small window, and some games show tearing running at a constant 60fps with vsync enabled. It's especially bad about 2/3rds of the way up the screen, where on occasion the upper 1/3rd transitions noticeably slower than the rest. Is this normal for this display?

I'm running the monitor on one lonely 780ti with only 3gb VRAM which it stomps into submission. That said, I can still run some games at or above a constant 60fps. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel in particular exhibits lots of tearing even at 60fps/vsync.

It's not ruining my experience with the display - I'm very happy with it overall. Still, it can be pretty jarring.

Last edited:
Back