Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Haven't had any such problems, mine has never changed from 60hz, the only time I had a similar problem was when I changed the resolution to 1080p to try something, and when I tried to go back to 4k I was only seeing 29hz option, but turned out that it was nvidia control panel that for some reason has 2 2840 x 2160 resolutions, one in "Ultra HD, HD, SD" which only allows 29hz and another under "PC" which allows the 60hz.

So I assume I'll have to send this back to Amazon Italy? Would Philips exchange it in the UK under their European warranty?

While it is very likely they would do so, it is almost assuredly going to be quite a bit faster if you just go straight to the seller, since you don't need to activate warranty with the seller, they can either replace you the screen (Assuming they have more), or refund you the money.

Anyone got a problem with the refresh rate occasionally reverting to 30hz? When this happens I sometimes have to restart my computer to get it back to 60hz? Any ideas?

That has happened to several people in the thread. I believe that you can turn the monitor off and back on in order to get the option for 60hz to reappear (rather than restarting your computer). Could be helpful if you have programs open that you don't want to close.

I would try a better/shorter DisplayPort cable if possible. It's possible that you're having a cable issue where for whatever reason the GPU detects that the interface can't support 4K @ 60hz and needs to back down to 30hz. Monoprice sells a decent DP cable for about $6 + shipping and there are several available on Amazon as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hey guys,

what kind of viewing distance and eye level are you guys using in relation to this monitor? apparently for 20/20 vision the 'retina' (where its not possible to view the pixels) viewing distance is 31 inches.

Just out of reach of my hand, so around 80 cm. The panel is so large it's not very comfortable to use any closer. As for eye level it's at around 2/3 of the panel height.

How would you compare Samsung UE40JU6450 vs Philips BDM4065UC ?
Pros and cons ?
Thank you

Just out of reach of my hand, so around 80 cm. The panel is so large it's not very comfortable to use any closer. As for eye level it's at around 2/3 of the panel height.

I'm at 17" or 42 cm, I have no problem

I do have other question: what is the warranty? The encl. CD or fact sheet doesn't say anything about warranty

I did encounter a small bug. I was viewing a JPG, the photo disappear and I thought it moves to my 2nd screen (my 60" Sharp TV), but it's not there neither. So when I load up the ACDSee software, it doesn't appear on Neither LCD

so what is the overall feeling of this screen, im in the market for a 40 inch 4k monitor, these are my 3 options

LG Electronics 40UB8000
Philips BDM4065UC
AMH A399U UHD 39.5" 3840X2160 16:9 4K LED Monitor 60Hz DP1.2 HDMI2.0

How do PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U games look on this monitor? I'm wondering if the upscaling is as good as the Samsung JU6500.

Seriously guys the philips is good. I will be keeping it until a higher quality IPS 40" panel comes out.

so what is the overall feeling of this screen, im in the market for a 40 inch 4k monitor, these are my 3 options

LG Electronics 40UB8000
Philips BDM4065UC
AMH A399U UHD 39.5" 3840X2160 16:9 4K LED Monitor 60Hz DP1.2 HDMI2.0

For my part the feeling for the Philips is good, but really there are 135 pages worth of people posting on the screen and debating it so I suggest doing some reading. Also there is at least ten websites with reviews out there.

Does anyone know if any UK sellers have this in stock?

The only one I can find is £800! Outrageous

SAMSUNG 4K UHD JU6500

does that model support 60hz?

I would absolutely add the JU6500/6700/7100/7500 to your list of considerations, but one small caveat is that you need HDMI 2.0 in order to run 4K @ 4:4:4/60Hz. So, as long as you have an nVidia 9xx or Titan X, you're good. You can use other cards with it, but I think that it limits you to 4:2:2 with anything less than HDMI 2.0

Awesome displays, though. I'm using the 48" JU7500 as I type this and it's fantastic, as was the 40" JU6700 that I had previously.

You could also add the Seiki SM40UNP to your list. I don't know how it compares in the overall scheme of things, but some were happy with it.

I would absolutely add the JU6500/6700/7100/7500 to your list of considerations, but one small caveat is that you need HDMI 2.0 in order to run 4K @ 4:4:4/60Hz. So, as long as you have an nVidia 9xx or Titan X, you're good. You can use other cards with it, but I think that it limits you to 4:2:2 with anything less than HDMI 2.0

Awesome displays, though. I'm using the 48" JU7500 as I type this and it's fantastic, as was the 40" JU6700 that I had previously.

You could also add the Seiki SM40UNP to your list. I don't know how it compares in the overall scheme of things, but some were happy with it.

Im running titan X SLI, so i should have enough to run most games out there. Also what is chroma 4:4:4

Im running titan X SLI, so i should have enough to run most games out there. Also what is chroma 4:4:4

Good question, and one that I had just a few months ago myself.

It basically only comes into question when using HDTVs as PC monitors. Some lack proper chroma subsampling, which means a loss of information. This affects the entire image on screen, but is mostly noticeable with text. You know how a normal PC monitor will display nice crisp text that's perfectly readable? Well, a TV that supports 4:4:4 will do that too, and will look just like a PC monitor. Unfortunately, some only do 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 which makes things look fuzzy and weird. I don't have a good pic of the weird fringing/artifacting that happens on black text, but these pics will help you realize what a difference proper chroma subsampling makes:

Note how every line in the first pic is perfectly crisp. In the second, you're missing some information that helps render an image correctly. Finding a TV that's perfectly suitable as a PC monitor has historically been a challenge, as they typically didn't do 4:4:4 or they did but had really high input lag due to the extra TV processing features. The 2015 Samsungs are somewhat of a breakthrough because they are capable of 4K 4:4:4 at 60hz with relatively low input lag, making them extremely popular as you can tell by the huge thread in the Displays subforum.

Hope that helps.

How to you compare colors on this two panels? I'm working onPhilips for about a week, and it seems to me, that colors are washed out. Shoud I consider switching to some "JU" Samsung to get more vidid colors?

Good question, and one that I had just a few months ago myself.

It basically only comes into question when using HDTVs as PC monitors. Some lack proper chroma subsampling, which means a loss of information. This affects the entire image on screen, but is mostly noticeable with text. You know how a normal PC monitor will display nice crisp text that's perfectly readable? Well, a TV that supports 4:4:4 will do that too, and will look just like a PC monitor. Unfortunately, some only do 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 which makes things look fuzzy and weird. I don't have a good pic of the weird fringing/artifacting that happens on black text, but these pics will help you realize what a difference proper chroma subsampling makes:

Note how every line in the first pic is perfectly crisp. In the second, you're missing some information that helps render an image correctly. Finding a TV that's perfectly suitable as a PC monitor has historically been a challenge, as they typically didn't do 4:4:4 or they did but had really high input lag due to the extra TV processing features. The 2015 Samsungs are somewhat of a breakthrough because they are capable of 4K 4:4:4 at 60hz with relatively low input lag, making them extremely popular as you can tell by the huge thread in the Displays subforum.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain, I really appreciate it! so I did a lot of research, seems like I have to stick with a panel that has DP, so the TV's seem to be out of the question. Here is one of the Korean Panels i found which say 144hz, im looking into these 2 monitors right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMH-A399U-U...333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae84a1615

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-P...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4a06e8b7

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How to you compare colors on this two panels? I'm working onPhilips for about a week, and it seems to me, that colors are washed out. Shoud I consider switching to some "JU" Samsung to get more vidid colors?

I'd like to know this as well. Can't decide between the two displays.

I think you just need to set the monitor to the right settings and you'll be fine or maybe you're used to other monitors with too saturated colours and find it hard to adjust. A good place to start could be the review at tftcentral, they posted some recommendations (the exact optimum settings depends on your specific hardware).

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain, I really appreciate it! so I did a lot of research, seems like I have to stick with a panel that has DP, so the TV's seem to be out of the question. Here is one of the Korean Panels i found which say 144hz, im looking into these 2 monitors right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMH-A399U-U...333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae84a1615

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-P...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4a06e8b7

No problem. Why do you have to stick with DP though?

I have heard of those two monitors, but only very recently. I don't know much about them, so I can't be of great help there, but definitely research the 144Hz claim. If those are capable of 144hz @ 4K then people here would be selling their kidneys in order to get their hands on them. I know that with Seiki's older 39" 4K display that only ran at 30Hz at 4K, people were able to get it to run at 60 or 120Hz (can't remember) but only by reducing the resolution to like 1920x1080 or something. I'm not saying that's the case here, but rather something else to research.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does PWM ruin this monitor and the Samsung JU6500? Someone was claiming that they ruin 4k.

It might for someone who is sensitive to PWM, but many/most aren't.

Both this and the Samsung use PWM. NCX and Nikyo deemed these displays unusable and utter trash due to the PWM, but there are way way way more people who are happily using them and are not bothered or affected by the PWM.

If you don't know what PWM is or haven't been bothered by it before, there's no need for concern. People who are sensitive to it usually know, as many older monitors used PWM. For those people, apparently there are now 40" displays advertised as being flicker free.

Calibrated or not, this panel simply cannot produce vivid/live/wide-gamut colors, so this not really an option.

The 2015 Samsungs are somewhat of a breakthrough because they are capable of 4K 4:4:4 at 60hz with relatively low input lag, making them extremely popular as you can tell by the huge thread in the Displays subforum.

Hope that helps.

Yes but it still seems people are arguing and trying to find out if those 2015 Sammy 4K TVs can do 4:4:4 @ 60Hz in 'Game Mode' which offers the lowest input lag. I still see an unclear conclusion on this, some people state you can only get the 4:4:4 in 'PC' mode and not in 'Game mode' even with the latest firmwire so this is a deal breaker for me.

I think I will be happy with the Philips until another 40" 4K panel comes out that has a better IPS panel.

Yes but it still seems people are arguing and trying to find out if those 2015 Sammy 4K TVs can do 4:4:4 @ 60Hz in 'Game Mode' which offers the lowest input lag. I still see an unclear conclusion on this, some people state you can only get the 4:4:4 in 'PC' mode and not in 'Game mode' even with the latest firmwire so this is a deal breaker for me.

As of the current firmware, it's only 4:4:4 in PC mode. I believe Game mode is 4:2:2.

Good thing for me is I do not feel a big lag difference between the two so PC mode is perfectly acceptable for gaming. Not only that, they hugely improved image quality in Game mode with firmware 1207 so even though it still fails the 4:4:4 test, image quality is nearly identical except with red text. Otherwise it's difficult to tell the difference between the two, it's so close.

Game mode is meant for games, where the image quality isn't affected by the lack of 4:4:4 which is only really needed on the desktop for perfect text. But with the firmware updates, Game mode is now also usable for desktop use. So you don't have to switch back and forth if you don't want to...and if you do, well you can certainly do that. PC mode for general Windows use and Game mode for games. But I typically just use one mode for everything since image quality is 98% identical.

But if it's not for you, that's fine...lots of other options out there.

Is HDCP 2.2 necessary to watch 4k shows and movies? And this monitor capable, or is that only possible via hdmi 2.0?

Is HDCP 2.2 necessary to watch 4k shows and movies? And this monitor capable, or is that only possible via hdmi 2.0?

for protected content (i.e. 4K Blu-ray), yes it is necessary. HDCP 2.2 is a non starter on PC right now though, considering no video cards support it.

What's wrong with the Philips 40 inch monitor ?
You don't like it ?

I do like it alot actually, after mucking around with the settings a bit I got a decent picture.

But before this monitor I had an LG 31MU97 which had a gorgeous IPS panel, but it was only 31" :(

That's why I cant wait for a 40" IPS panel to come, although the Philips is fairly good by any standard.

So, you mean IPS looks better for you, than VA ??
I want to get as well an 40 inch monitor or tv, but i'm undecided between IPS ( LG ) or Samsung tv / Philips monitor ( VA )

Back