ok so its Feb 1st....

By fugger I got my production Prescott late, and I must say there are quite a few changes and most of all the reduction of idle temps made my day. Intel has done what needed to be done and production silicon has a lot of headroom in stepping 3 as compared to the older steppings that we had for testing.

Temps are a bit down, this is stepping 3 of the prescotts, Stepping 1 riveled the sun!!!

There are 4ghz shots just not up yet and more,

yada, yada, yada

The only interesting info is the anandtech review page "little secret" which shows specifically why Prescott is a superior solution once you start getting into 4G+ ranges.

Originally posted by Bar81
yada, yada, yada

The only interesting info is the anandtech review page "little secret" which shows specifically why Prescott is a superior solution once you start getting into 4G+ ranges.

Which is where i shall be, Thanks for pointing that out. Bar81

Originally posted by Tedinde
Which is where i shall be, Thanks for pointing that out. Bar81

Now I'm more interested in seeing Tejas core. A64 isn't a justifiable jump to me because I'm addicted to multi-tasking. Although I think getting my hands on a 2.6ghz a64 would be spicy :). Who knows, maybe I'll jump to 939 pin.

edit: and prescott is def not at all interesting to me. what really miffs me is that intel could've released the same chip, called it prescott, without 11 additional pipeline stages. It would've smoked the a64, and I bet with a little work would've clocked to 4.0ghz. 3.6 ghz isn't out of range for the northwood cores even.

Originally posted by pakotlar
Now I'm more interested in seeing Tejas core. A64 isn't a justifiable jump to me because I'm addicted to multi-tasking. Although I think getting my hands on a 2.6ghz a64 would be spicy :). Who knows, maybe I'll jump to 939 pin.

edit: and prescott is def not at all interesting to me. what really miffs me is that intel could've released the same chip, called it prescott, without 11 additional pipeline stages. It would've smoked the a64, and I bet with a little work would've clocked to 4.0ghz. 3.6 ghz isn't out of range for the northwood cores even.

What are you talking about, prescott is the same performance as Northwood, but someone right now wanting to upgrade from a 1.6 or 2.0 will find prescott every appealing since its priced very sweet.

Obviously if you have a 3.2 northwood you would be braindead to switch to a 3.2 prescott, but then again northwood isnt scaling to 3.8 and 4.0Ghz by the end of the year. And again the price changes are very nice, Intel has never had cheaper chips for there newest generation.

Originally posted by Big Worm
What are you talking about, prescott is the same performance as Northwood, but someone right now wanting to upgrade from a 1.6 or 2.0 will find prescott every appealing since its priced very sweet.

Obviously if you have a 3.2 northwood you would be braindead to switch to a 3.2 prescott, but then again northwood isnt scaling to 3.8 and 4.0Ghz by the end of the year. And again the price changes are very nice, Intel has never had cheaper chips for there newest generation.

What I'm talking about is the prescott being on average clock for clock slower than the northwood. I'm sorry, that doesn't do it for me. You?

On average a 3.2E provides roughly the same performance as a 3.0c. Proof? http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/prescott-tests_13.html

edit: in gaming, media encoding, image editing, rendering, and science benchmarks.

I hope it scales as well as they say.

And again the price changes are very nice, Intel has never had cheaper chips for there newest generation.

This is very surprising, But they are getting more chips per wafer, so im sure they will be alright.

I wonder actually how much it costs to make per chip, without Development costs figured in??

On average a 3.2E provides roughly the same performance as a 3.0c. Proof? http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cp...t-tests_13.html

edit: in gaming, media encoding, image editing, rendering, and science benchmarks.

Yes, but once we reach past 3.6 ghz the exact OPPOSITE is true with the Prescott putting out more performance per clock [the larger L2 cache seems to be reason behind this]. Considering that most [h]ardcore OCers are going to try to push past 4ghz, it's something of a moot point.

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero
On average a 3.2E provides roughly the same performance as a 3.0c. Proof? http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cp...t-tests_13.html

Yes, but once we reach past 3.6 ghz the exact OPPOSITE is true with the Prescott putting out more performance per clock [the larger L2 cache seems to be reason behind this]. Considering that most [h]ardcore OCers are going to try to push past 4ghz, it's something of a moot point.

what is also a moot point is that we haven't seen any 3.6ghz vs 3.6ghz @ same fsb comparisons. don't believe everything that you read. if there will be a performance difference, even according to anand's results, it will be TINY. 2% would be generous. If we derive how the prescott scales between 2.8 3.0 and 3.2 ghz speeds, we see that, while it does scale better, it is not of significant benefit over the northwood. A p4 is a p4.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1956&p=24

look at the results again, and tell me that it scales well over the northwood.

Considering that they are the same exact price, any victory for the Prescott no matter how small is still something. You're more or less paying nothing for something [if you OC it past 3.6 of course]. However, this ENTIRE discussion is moot until we see how the retail Prescott's OC. Hopefully, we'll get some good benches/reviews/etc tomorrow. Until then let's just put this on hold for the time being. What say you?

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero
Considering that they are the same exact price, any victory for the Prescott no matter how small is still something. You're more or less paying nothing for something [if you OC it past 3.6 of course]. However, this ENTIRE discussion is moot until we see how the retail Prescott's OC. Hopefully, we'll get some good benches/reviews/etc tomorrow. Until then let's just put this on hold for the time being. What say you?

I completely agree! :D

Clock for clock it may be slower, but the point to keep in mind is this: Northwood will hit a ceiling, beyond which it's just not going to go much faster. The Prescott has a ceiling which is much higher. That's a tradeoff.

The same thing existed between the Pentium III and the Pentium 4 when the P4 first came out. Nobody is complaining now that the P4 is slower clock for clock than the PIII because you can't get a 3.2 GHz PIII, because it's ceiling is much lower than 3.2 GHz.

Initially you might be able to get northwoods which will overclock to about the same levels as prescotts. It won't take too long for that to change, and this whole "issue" will be forgotten.

Originally posted by Tedinde:

Saw somewhere in a Asian forum the FPU was 3x faster?? dont see it though. F@H would take a nice jump though
How? I don't see anything in the various benchmarks that would indicate significantly superior performance in F@H clock-per-clock over Northwood. Unless there is something in the architectural changes that would aid folding algorithms I'm not aware of...??

Originally posted by pakotlar:

3.6GHz is not out of range for the Northwood core, but as clock speed increases, the yields of a given die process decrease. Since the .13µ process is at its EOL, ramping much beyond the 3.4GHz would have yielded Intel diminishing returns in profit. What you suggested about releasing a Prescott core identical to the actual chip minus the 11 additional stages sounds interesting, and may have been a fantastic performer, but doesn't take into account the very reason for these additional stages - architecture longevity. There are reasons we don't see 3GHz+ Pentium Ms and some of them are not marketing. ;)

In order to compete against AMD's A64 with its advanced memory sub-system, Intel must design a chip that yields increasing clock speeds at a faster rate than its competition can bring its products to market. Witness the slowdown with P4 speed ramps in the last several quarters. The Netburst architecture was getting dated and AMD caught up in performance with the A64. Intel needed to regain the momentum and one of the best ways to do it was increasing the number of stages (as strange as that may sound). AMD may have won a small victory with the initial release of Prescott, but wait and see what happens by 2H of this year.

Prescott should quickly scale well beyond 4GHz while AMD will be stuck around the ~3GHz mark at the same juncture in time, perhaps a bit higher. The two companies are betting on completely different (m)architectural strategies to keep their market shares. I think Intel has won this hand, but we won't see it manifest for perhaps another 6 months, give or take a quarter.

Originally posted by Tedinde
This is very surprising, But they are getting more chips per wafer, so im sure they will be alright.

I wonder actually how much it costs to make per chip, without Development costs figured in??

probibly not a whole lot for the actual CPU, I mean the silicon they get is of the highest grade but for the amount they buy it probibly ends up being cents per CPU, then you factor in packaging, etc.. the pins and IHS probibly cost the most in raw materials. Were talking like a mater or 10-15 bucks a CPU..

But then again obviously as you know you must factor in operator wages, ebergy consumption for the machines, Fab costs, design etc etc.. :D

Is this 30 bucks for the northwood or prescott

I wonder what the diffence is....

Originally posted by APOLLO
3.6GHz is not out of range for the Northwood core, but as clock speed increases, the yields of a given die process decrease. Since the .13µ process is at its EOL, ramping much beyond the 3.4GHz would have yielded Intel diminishing returns in profit. What you suggested about releasing a Prescott core identical to the actual chip minus the 11 additional stages sounds interesting, and may have been a fantastic performer, but doesn't take into account the very reason for these additional stages - architecture longevity. There are reasons we don't see 3GHz+ Pentium Ms and some of them are not marketing. ;)

In order to compete against AMD's A64 with its advanced memory sub-system, Intel must design a chip that yields increasing clock speeds at a faster rate than its competition can bring its products to market. Witness the slowdown with P4 speed ramps in the last several quarters. The Netburst architecture was getting dated and AMD caught up in performance with the A64. Intel needed to regain the momentum and one of the best ways to do it was increasing the number of stages (as strange as that may sound). AMD may have won a small victory with the initial release of Prescott, but wait and see what happens by 2H of this year.

Prescott should quickly scale well beyond 4GHz while AMD will be stuck around the ~3GHz mark at the same juncture in time, perhaps a bit higher. The two companies are betting on completely different (m)architectural strategies to keep their market shares. I think Intel has won this hand, but we won't see it manifest for perhaps another 6 months, give or take a quarter.

intel has never lost a hand, because it knows how to market itself. however in terms of performance I believe AMD has won this round. 939 pin processors based on CGA cores should kick ass.

I want anandtech and Kyle to do reviews before i beleive anything

Only one of those sources is credible.

We don't need AMD Cpu's we need better cases to disapate heat.

*smirk*

Originally posted by Gk22CoE
Is this 30 bucks for the northwood or prescott

I wonder what the diffence is....

Probably around the same for both, give or take a few dollars. God where did I see that at.

Originally posted by pakotlar
intel has never lost a hand, because it knows how to market itself. however in terms of performance I believe AMD has won this round. 939 pin processors based on CGA cores should kick ass.

You know, I'd never thought I'd say it, but after reading all the reviews of the Prescott and where Intel may or may not be going with it, AMD looks better and better all the time.

Back