Official WHQL ForceWare 71.89

LittleMe

2[H]4U
NV released new 71.89's to replace the WHQL 71.84's today. It's been said by an NV employee to fix the SLI overclocking issue and the SLI+DVI+Widescreen problems. Anybody given them a try yet?

I'm at work and have to wait quite a while until I can try them out.

Nice, they state that OC with SLI is fixed... can't wait to try these out tonight.

The web site only says it fixes OC issue with SLI. Can anyone please confirm if it fixes widescreen issues? That is going to kick so much ass if it finally is fixed....

WELP!!!! Just tried them out, and they DO NOT fix the SLI+DVI+Widescreen issue!!!
:(

canislupy said:
The web site only says it fixes OC issue with SLI. Can anyone please confirm if it fixes widescreen issues? That is going to kick so much ass if it finally is fixed....

It maybe the way we are reading it over at the NV forums but the NV employee said next web release will have the fix. Posted same day as the new 71.89's.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=3211&st=40

On page 3, posts by NV_PSB. Maybe he's talking about the next web released drivers past 71.89

Yeah, looks like widescreen is still broken in this release based on that thread. :(

LittleMe said:
WELP!!!! Just tried them out, and they DO NOT fix the SLI+DVI+Widescreen issue!!!
:(

I allready knew this.

Anyway just run your LCD monitor using the analog connection until they fix it. This is only the most viable fix if you want to run games in the native resolution.

could someone post the release notes for me ...

i want to see what has been fixed.

im at work.. cant do it here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Release Notes: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.89/71.89_ForceWare_Release_Notes.pdf

Issues Resolved in Version 71.89

This following are changes made and issues resolved since driver version 71.84:

• GeForce 6600GT / 6800 Ultra, SLI, Windows XP: Overclocking using
Coolbits does not work when SLI mode is enabled.

• GeForce 6600 GT / 6800 LE / 6800 / 6800GT / 6800 Ultra, SLI: After
exiting a 3D game, the NVIDIA clock frequency remains at the higher
3D-performance frequency instead of reducing to the standard clock
frequency.

• GeForce 6800 Ultra: The ʹTemperature Settingsʹ in the Display
Properties while idling reports an approximately 20% higher
temperature than with the previous driver version.

• GeForce 6600 GT, Windows XP: The game Lock On—Modern Air
Combat crashes when played at the highest graphics settings.

• Dual GeForce 6800 Ultra, SLI: System fails to resume from S4
Hibernate on ASUS A8N-SLI.

• GeForce 6600 GT, SLI, Windows XP: Corruption appears on the
course in Tiger Woods 2005 with SLI mode enabled.

• GeForce 6800 Ultra, SLI, Windows XP: Running the game Chronicles
of Riddick with SLI enabled results in corruption or application crash.

• GeForce 6600 GT / 6800 LE / 6800 / 6800GT / 6800 Ultra, SLI: System
fails to resume from Standby/Hibernate with OpenGL running in SLI
mode.

• GeForce 6600 GT / 6800 LE / 6800 / 6800GT / 6800 Ultra, SLI: System
hangs at the end of the driver installation while initializing the second
display (DVI) on ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard.

Looks like temp bug and overclocking is fixed and maybe SLI works now in Riddick.

These drivers are OK, but not as good as the 76.41s I was using.

3DMark05 score of 5,712 compared to 5,848 with 76.41.
Aquamark of 66,000 istead of 66,903.

Have not gamed with these drivers yet.

mentok1982 said:
These drivers are OK, but not as good as the 76.41s I was using.

3DMark05 score of 5,712 compared to 5,848 with 76.41.
Aquamark of 66,000 istead of 66,903.

Have not gamed with these drivers yet.

i wouldn't use benchmarks like those to determine if the driver is "good" or not

try games

agreed. normally it seems like the faster the drivers are in benchmarks, the worse they are in games.
just my observation though :cool:

latest drivers messed up my secondary monitors ability to watch full screen video :D oh wait.... :mad:

edit: i think it was something else that may have caused this problem, i did a system restore and reinstalled these drivers and all is well

:mad: :mad: :mad:
I loaded the new Nvidia ForceWare Driver 71.89 over the weekend. All my games worked OK (Doom3, Unreal Tournament and Farcry) but I found a major problem. My short video's clips in .mpeg or .wma format had little red sparks during playback. Now this really sucks. I re-installed Forceware Driver 67.66 and the .mpeg and .wma videos were perfect. I will pass the info along to Nvidia. Would someone else please verify this on their PC. See if your .mpeg or .wma video's have little red sparks using 71.89.

Thanks
Dan Spears
Atlanta, Ga.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0C GHz Northwood (Overclock 3.3 GHz)
Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bio’s 1016)
Corsair 1 GB XMS PC-3500C2 Platinum (2/512 MB) @ 2-3-3-6
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT (Overclock 400/1100) (Forceware 67.66)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
2 Western Digital 120 GB (7,200 RPM / 8 MB Cache)
Antec True Power 550 Watts
CD-R Burner – Lite-On 52x24x52x LTR-52246 (Black)
DVD Burner – Pioneer 16x DVR-108 Dual Layer (Black)
Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II @4600 RPM
Chieftec Black Dragon Tower Case (Clear Plastic Window w/80 mm Antec)
Antec Blue LED Case Fans (4/80 mm) (Front 2 input & Rear 2 output)
Round Vantec 133 IDE Cables (Black)
Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Speakers
Sony 19” GDM-F400FD CRT Monitor (1024x768 32 bit)
Windows XP Pro SP2

I also found a problem with the 71.89. I installed and tried playing Lock On and as soon as I started playing the game it would reboot my computer. So I reverted back to 76.41 and all was well.

viperdv2k4 said:
GOD why cant nvidia release drivers with no problemos.

There has never been a driver on this planet that didn't have problems.

I don't think you realize how complex drivers and hardware are.

For that matter most software applications have bugs as well. You've gotta think about the thousands of different hardware configurations out there and trying to make a piece of software that works on all of it.

uh yeah - writing a driver to support a wide array of video cards is -far- from a trivial thing... I am just glad they work as well as they do. :) (when they do :))

yea i tryed them BSOD in Lock-on Modern Air Combat at high settings haven isolated the setting yet was to lazy just when to a diffrent driver and it works fine now >.>

viperdv2k4 said:
Look at ati....

Good point, it could be worse. Back when I had a 9800 PRO running Doom 3 was painful with their drivers. Their Linux drivers are even worse to the point of being useless if you can believe it. So yeah we should count our blessings - although Nvidia isn't perfect at least their drivers don't suck as hard as ATI's.

71.89 works great for me. :D

I procrastinated on installing the latest drivers a short while. (I hate driver releases quickly followed within a few days by another driver release.)

I have an MSI K8N Neo4 SLI setup with two BFG 6800U OC's. I upgraded from 71.84 to 71.89
Friday the 29th. From my preliminary benchmarks, I've noticed no improvement.

I have, however, noticed considerable image quality degredation. In just about every game I play I've noticed the following:
  1. Small greenish/red tint in areas on the screen
  2. Tearing/Garbled textures: Varying from subtle to extremely poor quality rendering
  3. Poor performance when dealing with fog
  4. Anisotropic filtering/Anti-Aliasing issues in a number of games when forcing it to >4x

There are a few others that I can't think of right now, but I'll post as I come up with them. I've noticed the above in the following games: Call of Duty: United Offensive, Doom3, Half Life2, Brothers in Arms, Star Wars Knights of the old Republic 2.

Pics with evidence on the way.

*Edit: Note> Prior to upgrading the only problem I had before was the driver's poor handling of fog.

Update: Some of the above problems seemed to have gone away after I disabled MSI's Dynamic Overclocking in the BIOS. I'm still overclocking, but only slightly. Doing it manually instead.

Been working too much to test more throroughly. Still buggy when dealing with fog and still has occasional tearing as well.

I have been using the new drivers for about a month now. There are a few glitches, mostly because I am using an Apple Cinema Display, other than that, they work quite well. My 3D Marks are at 16k without OC'ing. I am in the process of water cooling the entire system so I can't wait to see the difference.

i have a 6600gt via chipset. these drivers doen work for me...is thaere a fix workaroun OMEGA anything that i can use?

Back